Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to Edmunds Forums!

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,485

How do I find stories from the sales front lines?

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876

You can use the Forums link at the top of the page, where you'll find a search box to find any of your "lost" favorites. Here's a link: http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/4831/general/x/stories-from-the-sales-frontlines#latest

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,461
    edited December 2013

@Mark@Edmunds said: If you'd like to bookmark an entire Category, go to Edit Profile > Notification Preferences. You'll find a full list of Categories there and can select those you wish to bookmark.

Mark, I appreciate the reply on this! Unfortunately, I don't see that there are any Categories under that section at all.... Attached is a screenshot of that particular section. If you can provide any further clarification for the technically challenged (yes, I'm in that group!), I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks!

edited December 2013

@xwesx said:

After Mark posted, we discovered that he can see that list, but the rest of us aren't seeing it. So this one's not a fault in your technical expertise. We've sent that question in to find out why.

PS - being able to attach a file is a NICE feature, IMO.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
    edited December 2013

@cdnpinhead said: Oh, and is there an "edit" function?

And, more importantly, how were the default images (pictures, whatever) chosen. I like orange, so I'm OK.

The avatars were (I think) simply randomly generated (mine was brown) but it's really easy to change. Just click on your username and you'll be at your profile page. Hover over your avatar and you'll see the words Change Picture at the top of your avatar image. Click and select an image from your computer. I like orange too... perhaps an orange car??? :)

Oh yea, edit (just used it) Click on that little "gear" to the right of your username above the post, you'll see Edit. You have a 4 hour window to edit.

And below a post you can click Quote, and it will copy in the post you're responding to (just like I did with yours)

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited December 2013

@Kirstie@Edmunds said:

> PS - being able to attach a file is a NICE feature, IMO.

I know we're past Thanksgiving, but I'm thankful for all the helpful eyes and fingers poking around and pointing out things that might need tweaking or are really neat new toys we have! I know I work here, but this is by far my favorite forum and set of members to be around.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ray80ray80 Posts: 1,257
    edited December 2013

Hhmm Can't click quote from shoes and have to work (to large a reply maybe), but I'll add on browsers I've been using (Firefox and older IE) the 'gear' doesn't show up unless cursor is withing your reply area

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,555

Yeah, the Gear and the Promote/Insightful/Awesome buttons don't show up unless you hover within the post area.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

@Stever@Edmunds said: Yeah, the Gear and the Promote/Insightful/Awesome buttons don't show up unless you hover within the post area.

That's probably to cut down on visual clutter. No real need to see those all the time.

@ray80 said: Hhmm Can't click quote from shoes and have to work (to large a reply maybe), but I'll add on browsers I've been using (Firefox and older IE) the 'gear' doesn't show up unless cursor is withing your replay area

The gear is showing up if I'm anywhere over the post (at least in Firefox) I'll have to try some other browsers in a bit. But keep noticing things!!

I'm liking the Actvity link for showing me who has responded recently in discussion I'm in. Still building up my Bookmarks, but it's nice to see the familiar faces we're all used to!

edited December 2013

How does one reply to a particular post, as in a post 2 hrs ago (or whatever) that has a dozen UN-related posts after and you want to replay to earlier one (that may be clear as mud but hopefully someone can understand) ? Without quoting that is.

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014

@ray80 You can type the person's screen name and put @ at the beginning of it. Like I did with you here.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

@Karen@Edmunds said: ray80 You can type the person's screen name and put @ at the beginning of it. Like I did

with you here.

And if that person had made other posts after the original one you would have to some how sort it out with the answer (OR QUOTE) ?

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,262
    edited December 2013

What do I do to stop getting dozens of e-mails telling me of all the wonderful things that are going on here?

@ray80 said: And if that person had made other posts after the original one you would have to some how sort it out with the answer (OR QUOTE) ?

Uhhmm, I think so.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

edited December 2013

@cdnpinhead said: What do I do to stop getting dozens of e-mails telling me of all the wonderful things that are going on here?

On the right side of page in your tools, click on the gear/wheelie beneath your screen name. Select Edit Profile. Select Notification Preferences. You can choose notification by Email, Popup, or none at all. And then click on Save Preferences.

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085

I have been trying to change my avatar... The only option I seem to have is to upload an image from my harddrive. Is there some way to select from the 'built in' avatars that Edmunds appears to have available?

@cdnpinhead said: What do I do to stop getting dozens of e-mails telling me of all the wonderful things that are going on here?

Go to your profile and edit your notifications ( At least that is what Kirstie suggested elswhere)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,584

First off, I want to thank Edmunds. I'm sure this whole newness did not come cheap, but for us posters it is still free. I dig the cleaner, more modern look. I love that I can post a picture right to the site & have a profile pic too. The badges are very cool too. I'm proud of my 5,000 post, 10 year, & archeological badges.

I figured out how to follow a thread from another poster & how to view your "starred threads." What I'm not seeing is the old "read new posts" button.

Great job overall though!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

@bpeebles said: Is there some way to select from the 'built in' avatars that Edmunds appears to have available?

From what I can determine, those are randomly assigned when you first log in. Your avatar can be any image file on your computer. It doesn't have to be anything too personally identifiable.

I wish to comment on the speed of the new forum-engine. So far, it seems to be much more responsive than the older system. Web pages seem to take less than 3 seconds to respond.

@Karen@Edmunds said:

Maybe I've eliminated the e-mails, but this time when I hit the quote/reply button, I got none of what Karen said, only what appears above.

I guess it's called a learning curve.

@bpeebles said: I wish to comment on the speed of the new forum-engine. So far, it seems to be much more responsive than the older system. Web pages seem to take less than 3 seconds to respond.

Tell me about it! On the old platform I would click to new page, go to the bathroom, get a cup of coffee, walk the dog and maybe when I got back it had loaded :(

@Karen@Edmunds said: Tell me about it! On the old platform I would click to new page, go to the bathroom, get a cup of coffee, walk the dog and maybe when I got back it had loaded :(

For us 'techie' folks, would you be willing tell us a little about the platform this new system is running on? Server type? Operating system? Database type?

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,916
    edited December 2013

Is there a Help function, a FAQ, anything to assist in learning how to use this?

And there really needs to be a way to get back to your bookmarked discussions more easily than scrolling back to the almost-but-not-quite top of the page.

What is this Markdown thing it says I can use and why would I do that?

Oh, and it shows I joined in early November. I think I have been here since the late 1990s. Any way to edit that?

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

@nyccarguy said: First off, I want to thank Edmunds. I'm sure this whole newness did not come cheap, but for us posters it is still free. I dig the cleaner, more modern look. I love that I can post a picture right to the site & have a profile pic too. The badges are very cool too. I'm proud of my 5,000 post, 10 year, & archeological badges.

I figured out how to follow a thread from another poster & how to view your "starred threads." What I'm not seeing is the old "read new posts" button.

Great job overall though!

Thank you! Thank you! A lot of long hours and very hard work went in to this. As you know, Edmunds forums are HUGE. Migrating was no easy task.

Lots of cool new features, but some that we loved on the old platform are not available here, e.g. read new. The best thing to do is bookmark your favorite discussions. Then when you return, click on My Bookmarks and those with new to you comments will be at the top of the list.

@bpeebles said: For us 'techie' folks, would you be willing tell us a little about the platform this new system is running on? Server type? Operating system? Database type?

Welllll, I'm not a techie, so can't answer those questions. I can tell you the forums are now powered by Vanilla Forums. Google that and you'll find their info.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,916

I see reference in my profile to a "wall". Not that I want it - I hated that about Facebook - but is it even activated? If not, it might be good to eliminate those references.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

edited December 2013

I miss the title line.

Over the years I've used the title to start my comment, with an ellipsis, then the balance of the sentence in the body of the post. I've noticed in the various bookmarked discussions that I'm bringing up-to-date by going to the end, that many of my posts make even less sense without the title line.

Oh well. . .

Also, these avatars remind me of when we all had flags next to our names -- made it really easy for me to find my stuff or that of anyone else who didn't have the stars & stripes. Either way, they make it much simpler to identify who's posting without reading anything.

Oh, and the post numbers. The people in Sales Front Lines are going to be apoplectic if no one gets to be #100,000.