Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Welcome to Edmunds Forums!

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,144

@boyce said:
    I have Stories from the Sales Frontlines bookmarked. On my bookmark page it shows the last post was Jan 14 and does not show any new posts since then. However there have been many posts since that date but they have not highlighted on my bookmark page. Please help, it is my favorite forum. Thanks.

This discussion has been marked so it doesn't show up at the top of your bookmarked list all the time. For me, SFTSFL is on page 7 of my bookmarks, with the last post date of Jan 14 - but the number of new posts are shown.

Perhaps you can un-bookmark it, sign out then back in again, then re-bookmark the discussion.

Let us know if that corrects the problem.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244

Hello. Been away for a bit. What happened? Where's Shifty,Steve and the Smart Shoppers forum?

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2014

Hey Jipster, welcome back! We're around. :)

Check out the rest of this discussion for more info on changes, or see Forum Navigation Tips for the briefer overview.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

@jipster said:
    Hello. Been away for a bit. What happened? Where's Shifty,Steve and the Smart Shoppers forum?

Got to rearrange the furniture now and then ;)

Welcome back!

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Is it necessary to have those Toyota advertisements that pop up at the bottom of the screen at times? they are VERY annoying to say the least. I know the ad dollars are necessary and the ones to the right of the screen are fine. Thanks!

• boyceboyce Member Posts: 48

@Michaell@Edmunds I unbookmarked signed out, signed back in and rebookemarked. Still No Joy. It was showing up on my bookmarked page, but new posts are not highlighting. I have to click on it each day to see if there are new posts.

2015 Mazda 3 Skyactive 6spd. auto 2008 Mazda Tribute S 4spd auto.

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

That is a different problem... I have been seeing that behavior for several weeks now. For some reason, I do not get alerted when my 'STARed' forums are updated.

I hope they fix that issue soon.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147

Are you not seeing the yellow highlighted number of new posts under the discussion title?

@bpeebles - when you say you're not alerted, do you mean email alerts, or do you mean you're not seeing the highlighted number of new posts?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited February 2014

That is what I been saying, Discussion is on my bookmark page, but no highlights appear when new posts occur. As of yesterday it was showing the last post on Jan 14. There have been 5 or more pages of posts since then. I did not request emails as when I did it flooded my inbox. Thank you for you help.

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

@boyce said:
    That is what I been saying, Discussion is on my bookmark page, but no highlights appear when new posts occur. As of yesterday it was showing the last post on Jan 14. There have been 5 or more pages of posts since then. I did not request emails as when I did it flooded my inbox. Thank you for you help.

Do you use PC or Mac? Are you using a favorite/bookmark on your browser to access your Forums bookmarks? What browser and its version are you using? Have you tried clearing the browser cache? Just trying to think of all possible scenarios.

I'm using Windows 7 on a pc. I run files cleanup weekly and scan for errors a couple times a week. Also in my bookmarks, Stories from the Sale Frontlines is the only discussion out of the 17 I follow that I am having this problem. Thank you again for looking into this.> @Karen@Edmunds said:

Do you use PC or Mac? Are you using a favorite/bookmark on your browser to access your Forums bookmarks? What browser and its version are you using? Have you tried clearing the browser cache? Just trying to think of all possible scenarios.
    @Karen@Edmunds said:

@boyce said:
    I'm using Windows 7 on a pc. I run files cleanup weekly and scan for errors a couple times a week. Also in my bookmarks, Stories from the Sale Frontlines is the only discussion out of the 17 I follow that I am having this problem. Thank you again for looking into this.> Karen@Edmunds said:

I changed a setting on that topic. May take a day or so, but let's see if that fixes it.

@Kirstie@Edmunds said:
    when you say you're not alerted, do you mean email alerts, or do you mean you're not seeing the highlighted > number of new posts?

I am no longer seeing hilighted posts near the blue star nor when I click the blue star under my name.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited February 2014

@bpeebles said:
    I am no longer seeing hilighted posts near the blue star nor when I click the blue star under my name.

What do you see if you click on the words My Bookmarks in the box below your user name? Do the new posts highlights show up there?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

@Karen@Edmunds said:
    I changed a setting on that topic. May take a day or so, but let's see if that fixes it.

25 Feb, I checked my bookmarks, 36 new showing on Sale Frontlines. Thank you, Happy, Happy, Happy.

edited February 2014

@imidazol97 said:
    What do you see if you click on the words My Bookmarks in the box below your user name? Do the new posts highlights show up there?

There are no words... only a row of several icons when I hover over them they say (Right to left) "Notifications", "Inbox","Bookmarks","Account Options"

The 'problem' I am seeing is that the "Bookmarks star" no longer notifies me when there are updates to my bookmarked forums. It used to have a red integer next to the star when there are updated forums.

Instead, I have to actually have to click on it to see if there are updates.

ADDITIONALLY: As I write this, The "Notifications" icon has a red integer next to it indicating there are pending notificsaitons.... However, when I click on this icon, the forums in the list have no yellow hilights next to them.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited March 2014

Problem: if I have, let say, 100 posts to catch up on in my Bookmarks but read one page of 30, it will tell me I have no unread posts rather than the 70 or more I should have. Is this right?

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762

@carnaught said:
    Problem: if I have, let say, 100 posts to catch up on in my Bookmarks but read one page of 30, it will tell me I have no unread posts rather than the 70 or more I should have. Is this right?

Not precisely. If you have that many posts on which to catch up, it will only say you read them all (even if you did not) if you review the final page.

For example, I'm seeing 19 pages on this thread. If I clicked on the thread title to read new posts, and it took me to the first unread post of page 17, then I went back to "My Bookmarks," it would still say I have unread posts on this discussion. If, however, I actually read the posts on page 17, then skipped forward to page 19 (the final page) without actually reading page 18, the discussion would then show as read on "My Bookmarks" until someone adds a new post.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited March 2014

Even if I do not read all the posts in a Bookmark thread or go to the final post, it's showing I did.

@carnaught said:
    Even if I do not read all the posts in a Bookmark thread or go to the final post, it's showing I did.

Not sure if you're talking about catching up on a lot of posts in a discussion you haven't been to, or a discussion where there might have been 10 new posts. If there's only one "page" of new posts, clicking on the discussion on your Bookmarks list will turn off that new post flag. If there are multiple pages of new posts, clicking on the discussion link will take you to the first page of posting that you have not been to. If you leave the discussion from that page and go back to the Bookmarks, the new post flag should still show, but show a lower number of new posts. But if you went into the discussion to catch up by clicking on the link to the last page number (those page number links under the discussion title on the list), then you'll be taken to that last page and the discussion will be marked as read since you've been all the way to the end of the discussion, whether you actually went through the prior pages or not.

Those page number links are fairly close to the discussion title. I know I've clicked on the title trying to click on a page link. Maybe that's what you experienced?

If you leave the discussion from that page and go back to the Bookmarks, the new post flag should still show, but show a lower number of new posts

Right, and for me, this is not happening.

OK, just getting that clear. I've cleared most of the large discussions I track, but I'll try and find one to see if I can duplicate what you're seeing.

OK, perhaps I was mistaken on how that worked. (Been a while since I was dealing with clearing my flags) I just found one that had hundreds of unread posts, clicked on the link, landed at the first page of posts I hadn't read, went back to my Bookmarks, and the yellow-highlighted number of unread posts was indeed gone as if I had looked at them all.

Function or glitch is the question now I suppose.

@PFFlyer@Edmunds said:
    Function or glitch is the question now I suppose.

Oh, I say GLITCH! Just confirmed that this is how mine is suddenly functioning as well. :'(

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited March 2014

I'd swear it behaved the other way, but once I got past catching up, I hadn't looked back in a while ;)

At least we know we're not imagining it! As always, many thanks for the "extra eyes" on how things are going!! (Best community on the 'net if you ask me)

edited March 2014

It definitely did behave the other way. I used it regularly to catch up on those crazy CCBA'ers when there would be 100+ posts after a weekend. A page here and a page there... by the end of the week, I was caught up!

This new "functionality" seems to be a new "feature." LOL

edited March 2014

At least we know we're not imagining it! As always, many thanks for the "extra eyes" on how things are going!! (Best community on the 'net if you ask me)

Vindicated B)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217

I agree... it used to be the other way... and, now it's not.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nancylongnancylong Member Posts: 6

Hello everyone,
    I am new here. Very excited to know and discuss about car with you all guys!

@nancylong said:
    Hello everyone,
    I am new here. Very excited to know and discuss about car with you all guys!

Welcome to the Forums! Always nice to see new faces. If you have any questions about the forums or Edmunds, don't hesitate to ask.

edited March 2014

Re: Bookmark unread post issue. I will report. Thanks for the heads up!

Anyone have an idea when this may have started?

• jimpeddycordjimpeddycord Member Posts: 16

Android - when I go to the forums on my Android phone I get an alert that says that I should download the Tapatalk app, but I can't find the Edmunds forums in the app (there are hundreds of other forums).
    is this a Tapatalk scam?

• MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101

@jimpeddycord said:
    Android - when I go to the forums on my Android phone I get an alert that says that I should download the Tapatalk app, but I can't find the Edmunds forums in the app (there are hundreds of other forums).
    is this a Tapatalk scam?

Hey there. I don't think it's a scam. Still, we haven't yet opened up our Forums to Tapatalk (though we probably will do that sometime in the next few months), so I'm not sure why you're seeing that.

What browser are you using? On my Android with Chrome, I am not seeing the Tapatalk notification on our Forums.

edited April 2014

I miss the Questions links that used to appear beside the forum posts. Occasionally I would see one from a Buick/Pontiac owner where I had some insight to help them.

Also, I was signed up for the whole cluster of LeSabre and Bonneville topics along with Park Avenue. If a post was placed or a new topic added in the group, I saw the post. Sometimes I was able to share my expertise and experience several Buicks and GM cars through the years along with things I've learned from others on the internet in discussions.

I'd like to see a way to sign up for topic clusters like I used to be able to do.

• MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101

@imidazol97 said:
    I miss the Questions links that used to appear beside the forum posts. Occasionally I would see one from a Buick/Pontiac owner where I had some insight to help them.

Also, I was signed up for the whole cluster of LeSabre and Bonneville topics along with Park Avenue. If a post was placed or a new topic added in the group, I saw the post. Sometimes I was able to share my expertise and experience several Buicks and GM cars through the years along with things I've learned from others on the internet in discussions.

I'd like to see a way to sign up for topic clusters like I used to be able to do.

Thanks for the feedback -- and very good timing, actually. We are going to be working with our Forums platform host to deliver this same sort of functionality -- basically the ability for you to follow your favorite Makes & Models or Topics or even other Forums members and see a feed of all new discussions or questions in the areas you've selected. This is something that will probably take about 2-3 months of time to develop, fine-tune and finally launch, but I wanted to let you know that we are thinking along the same lines.

edited April 2014

@Mark@Edmunds said:
    This is something that will probably take about 2-3 months of time to develop, fine-tune and finally launch, but I wanted to let you know that we are thinking along the same lines.

Do it, Mark, and you (and your team) are destined for the rank of Hero!

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466

@xwesx said:
    Do it, Mark, and you (and your team) are destined for the rank of Hero!

Come up with a way to link a reply back to the original post and you will make Superhero.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031

Funny, I always found the old "Questions" thing to be a bit annoying and it seemed to me nobody ever answered very many. I would not work to bring that back when there are other issues with the new software. It seems to work, but it still looks pretty messy and remains a bit of a mystery.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

That's because people ask questions that nobody can answer without guessing.

" My car can be hard to start sometimes...what can be the problem?"

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147

@isellhondas said:
    That's because people ask questions that nobody can answer without guessing.

" My car can be hard to start sometimes...what can be the problem?"

True, but sometimes a simple follow-up question can make it answerable. "What happens when you try?" is a good start. Most people ask questions like that because they have no idea how vehicles and engines work, and aren't aware that a multitude of issues could cause such a problem.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

@Kirstie@Edmunds said:
    True, but sometimes a simple follow-up question can make it answerable. "What happens when you try?" is a good start. Most people ask questions like that because they have no idea how vehicles and engines work, and aren't aware that a multitude of issues could cause such a problem.

As a career IT/programming guy (my day job), I get similar questions from friends who want help with their computer. For cars and computers, troubleshooting and diagnosis is usually about a brief Q&A exchange... and a bit of patience.

I note that the compose box no longer auto-expands when you navigate into it to quote a post and write a response. You can expand it manually but it used to do that automatically. Not easy to navigate in the mail slot that is there now.

• ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222

I wonder if it was a temporary glitch -- is it still doing (or not doing) that for you? It expanded for me using Firefox.

@ab348 said:
    I note that the compose box no longer auto-expands when you navigate into it to quote a post and write a response. You can expand it manually but it used to do that automatically. Not easy to navigate in the mail slot that is there now.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

edited April 2014

In IE and Chrome, after I select Quote, I have to click somewhere in the compose box in order for the quote to "automatically" expand.

edited April 2014

In IE and Chrome, after I select Quote, I have to click somewhere in the compose box in order for the quote to "automatically" expand.

Firefox is missing the "arrow" in the lower right corner of the box to grab to pull it open further. The box is clunky in how it does open. Using the upper right double arrows will open things but then I'm on a different page and can't refer to the post to which I'm responding.

In IE8 there is no ability to grab the lower right corner of the box to change it. Of course I'm on XP, so that might be a factor there.

Last weekend I recall someone saying they were working on the arrows for FireFox.

edited April 2014

Well, just now I tried to quote you @imidazol97, and the comment box didn't expand when I clicked in it.

In IE8 there is no ability to grab the lower right corner of the box to change it.

In IE11, there's nothing in the lower right either.

XP? I'd razz you but my both cars are as old as your 2001 operating system so I guess I should keep my mouth shut. My rides are getting pretty ratty though. :D

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    XP?

I have a copy of Win7 Pro, I think it is, to try to get running on this HP laptop. I should have moved to Vista..., but that's not a good choice.

I'd razz you but my both cars are as old as your 2001 operating system so I guess I should keep my mouth shut. My rides are getting pretty ratty though. :D

My 98 leSabre got to 200,560 mi and it turned into something else. Due to lots of discounts and a willing saleslady we got a car with heated seats but no sunroof and no navigation. I'm old and set in my ways just like I've been about keeping XP.

The posting windows are a minor inconvenience for me. I just click inside and paste what I've copied. Then I add a bunch of linefeeds to get room within the window.

Even more odd is how vanilla decides what to copy from the original post when I click on the "Quote" button. Sometime there's nothing other than the @johnlennon and others it will give the last paragraph of a multiple paragraph response to the quoted part in the post to which I'm trying to respond. Just erratic from what I can glean. But there must be an algorithm behind it.

edited April 2014

Ya, the quoting behavior isn't consistent for me. I usually just want to quote part of a sentence anyway so I typically just copy and then paste after a inserting a right angle (>).

(My proposed strategy of waiting for the 2015 cars is failing btw; I'm afraid my two beaters will be disappearing sooner than later. Funny, when it comes to software, I often run the beta stuff, but I run my cars into the ground).

edited April 2014

@Stever@Edmunds said:

It did and does do that in Firefox, which is what I use, but was not doing it last night when I posted. Today it is back to auto-expand. Weird.

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    I'd razz you but my both cars are as old as your 2001 operating system so I guess I should keep my mouth shut. My rides are getting pretty ratty though. :D

Uh, no, Steve, your cars are much older, so you better shut it! :p