Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to Edmunds Forums!

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,194
    edited January 5

@crkyolfrt, I don't think much of anything has been changed since the rollout.

The red notifications are listed one by one, so if you click the top one, you may miss an earlier one since it's probably lower down in the notification list. In other words, if there are 6 new CCBA posts, each will be in the notification list. I'd like to see that tweaked so the list automatically clears once you've read everything "new" but that's another issue.

I use "back" a lot and haven't seen that page load issue you mention.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345

@Stever@Edmunds said: crkyolfrt, I don't think much of anything has been changed since the rollout.

The red notifications are listed one by one, so if you click the top one, you may miss an earlier one since it's probably lower down in the notification list. In other words, if there are 6 new CCBA posts, each will be in the notification list. ** I'd like to see that tweaked so the list automatically clears once you've read everything "new" but that's another issue.**

I use "back" a lot and haven't seen that page load issue you mention.

Yes, I know, but like say, sometimes you will click on it and you will get an entire page with maybe the last 3 or 4 posts all new, and other times you click on it there is just the one new post sitting at the top of the page with the entire rest of the page empty white.

The bold...I agree

Re the back and the other issue, so are you suggesting that it may be my browser or PC? But I have made no changes here and it has only been doing this for about the last 4 days or so.

5 min ago, I hit a back and this time it didn't even recognize my username as it looked like I wasn't signed in at all, so that is something brand new! And maybe they are working on it as we speak..but again...that is why a heads-up would be helpful so a person knows that the site may be running a bit 'off' cuz of them working on it. How do I take a screen shot and I can show you?

edited January 5

Yeah, definitely sounds like it's your setup, LOLOL. Hitting your backspace or the back arrow key in any browser should take you to the previous page you were on, but of course there are exceptions. So maybe there's something with how the page is rendering for you that's messing something up. Or maybe there's something going on with the login.

Sometimes on other sites, I'll wind up on some cached ad page or something and the browser acts like it's not doing anything - you may be able to spot that by right-clicking on the back arrow button on your browser and eyeballing the URL list that should show up.

Screenshots - you can hit the PrtScr/SysRq button on your keyboard to grab a screenshot (you may have to tap it twice). Then open Paint and paste it there, save it and email it. Newer versions of Windows have a Snipping Tool that works a bit better - use your Start button or equivalent and just start typing Snipping and it should show up in the box and you can click it to run. There's a bunch of free and cheap snapshot tools out there that offer even more features.

Most rollouts happen on a week day since the main office mostly closes for weekends.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• suydamsuydam Posts: 932

Why do some peoples vehicles show up under their names? I haven't figured that out yet.

@suydam said: Why do some peoples vehicles show up under their names? I haven't figured that out yet.

If you mean at the bottom of their posts, then they are listing their owned vehicles as a 'signature'. If you wanted to do this, it's pretty easy to do..just go to profile preferences and hunt for signature options. Just remember to 'save' changes after.

• once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640

I think I am phasing out of using Edmunds forums. The participation rate has dropped off the last few years, and the quality of information in posts/replies isn't of useful nature.

I'm now spending my time on car specific forums, such as subaruforester.org, cmax, etc.

I do get good information regarding Edmund's new car reviews, pricing, and the car news section is good.

Anyway, best to all and thanks for the years of interaction.

John

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,860

@crkyolfrt said: If you mean at the bottom of their posts, then they are listing their owned vehicles as a 'signature'. If you wanted to do this, it's pretty easy to do..just go to profile preferences and hunt for signature options. Just remember to 'save' changes after.

All sorts of new toys to play with here. I haven't decided on a "signature" just yet

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

@PFFlyer@Edmunds said: All sorts of new toys to play with here. I haven't decided on a "signature" just yet

:thumb up:

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,652

I just spent a good deal of time in "My discussions" reading some of the topics I started many years ago. Saw a lot of familiar names and some very active discussions that lasted a long time before burning out as they seem to do.

These forums have lost a lot of very good contributors...too bad.

I'm just wondering if some of those old very active topics (not just mine) could somehow be reactivated. I think it just might give these forums a shot in the arm!

Probably all you need to do is post in them. That should get them on the Recent Discussions list unless they were marked closed for some reason.

With so many new people I suppose some of the "old" topics could be restarted. I don't think any of the ones I started got closed for any reason but like most forums they tend to just die out as the topic gets discussed to death. I'll see what I can do.

Just don't go looking for I Don't Like SUVs, Why Do You. :D :D

I just can't figure out how to do this? I thought I would start something in the "Classics" forums but I can't even find them! As far as SUV topics, I know better!

• texasestexases Posts: 5,539

@isellhondas said: I just can't figure out how to do this? I thought I would start something in the "Classics" forums but I can't even find them! As far as SUV topics, I know better!

As far as I can tell, everything not brand-related is under the 'general' category. So I guess you click on 'Categories', then 'General', then look for the old discussion topic...

I'll try that. still not liking this new format...not at all and I've tried.

edited January 10

Or you can click on the Forums link at the top and Browse Forums by Topic. Classic Cars is one of the topics listed.

Or, same place, hit the drop down arrow in the search box and start typing in the Tags box. Classic Cars will pop up that way too.

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018

@isellhondas said: I'll try that. still not liking this new format...not at all and I've tried.

If these are discussions you've participated in, you should be able to find them in your Participated list. I personally have pages and pages there and looks like everything I either started or posted in as far back as 1997. :o

As Steve said, I think if you post a comment it will snap it to the Recent list.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Well, nothing got snapped to the Recent list but it did show up under My Discussions.

edited January 10

Well, that's how I spotted Remembering how old cars REALLY were!. Maybe a refresh issue?

• texasestexases Posts: 5,539

@isellhondas said: Well, nothing got snapped to the Recent list but it did show up under My Discussions.

Which discussion did you post to?

edited January 10

Nevermind, it just "snapped" over! :)

• grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,589

G'day

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but when I click on the "Best of" button, it throws and "Internal server error" as below. Is it just me?

Error 500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

Guru Meditation:

XID: 1205256519

Varnish cache server

Cheers

Graham

edited January 11

Yep, it's been reported. Something's also wonky if you have a draft and try to delete it. Haven't heard if there's any site maintenance going on but I'm always the last to know. :)

And it looks like we're back to normal.

• carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,580

Occasionally, when I go to my "Bookmarks", it will tell me "9 new" posts, yet when I go there, only 2 posts are new, for example. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,808

@carnaught said: Occasionally, when I go to my "Bookmarks", it will tell me "9 new" posts, yet when I go there, only 2 posts are new, for example. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I've found over the last few days that when I think I've read all the posts in my bookmarked discussions, I can come back a day later and find stuff from a day or two previous I haven't seen before.

I wonder though if it is me - the old software would "repaginate" posts, so if there were 12 new posts in a discussion you would see them all on one page, whereas this software seems to not do that, meaning you need to be sure to look at the bottom of the page to see if there is another page with posts on it. I might not have been doing that.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,043

Yeah..that got me a few times, too..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,403

I tell you what, I really, really, liked the adaptable pages of the previous forum. If you tracked a thread and wanted to "view new posts," it would literally let you view the new posts. The top post on the page was the last "old" post from when you previously viewed the thread, followed by all new posts.

With this new format and, sadly, with most forums out there, pages are fixed and you have to just remember where you left off when attempting to read new posts.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,091
    edited January 13

@xwesx said: With this new format and, sadly, with most forums out there, pages are fixed and you have to just remember where you left off when attempting to read new posts.

When I read using my Bookmarked or Participated topics, the new forum is taking me to the first new post. I.e., on this topic it showed me your post at the top of my page and showed anything below it.

Are you using Bookmarks?

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,403

@imidazol97 said:

You're absolutely right. I had stopped clicking the title a long time ago, probably while it was still in "I don't remember you" mode, when it would always take you to the top of the very first page of the discussion. After that, I would click on the last page and navigate from there.

So, thanks! Very helpful for those popular discussions such as CCBA, where folks are not only CCBs, but also CFPs! :p