Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to Edmunds Forums!

Comments

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346

It's great to see so many familiar faces here already!

After reading the first few pages, and then jumping ahead to the last few posts here..I see there's lotsa fun on the new site...let's all get into bed together since we're sharin' so much now...I wanna girl on either side of me though..lol

I think they'll get 'er all sorted in due time. There's some pretty cool new features that we never had before..like being able to post a pic and probably a pile more I haven't discovered yet.

I wish for everyone a happy and safe Holiday Season including belated festive Hanukkah wishes.

• @tinycadon said: The new format is awful, sometimes more doesn't equal better. The nice thing about the old format was the SIMPLICITY of it, your eyes didn't hurt looking at it because there wasn't all kinds of different colors and avatar pictures drawing your attention away from the content.

@berri said: I liked the previous capability of comparing say Highlander, Traverse and Explorer comments about issues and problems without all SUV model comments mixed in. It was very useful in comparing these and helping make purchase decisions.?

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

also unless hubby n me missed it, the possibility of checking out different prices paid and buying xperiences and leasing for a buncha brands n models - having all of those forums listed on just three pages and reached with jus a coupla mouse clicks - is gone??????

p.s. also would like to get rid of the ugly automatic avatar.......... is there an option for no avatar? thank you :)

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    edited December 2013

There's several ways to get there, but you can click the Buying & Selling tag on the right, then click, say Leasing, and all the Leasing tagged discussions will be listed, most recent activity first. Another option is to go to the Forums link up top on the left, and Browse Forums by Topic, select Buying & Selling and then click Leasing or the Values & Prices Paid subtopic.

You can edit your avatar in your Profile (if you delete and don't upload a new one, you'll be given another "stock" one. I suppose you could upload a photo of a white Odyssey in a snowstorm. ;)

• douglas1douglas1 Posts: 130

The new forums are a real step backward IMHO. Used to be when I typed in a car model it went right to that forum, now I get a list to chose from and the one I want is usually half way down the list and I have to hunt for for it. Previously when I went to the forum it told me if there were new posts since my last visit, now it does not do that. Also when I go to the opening page of Edmunds.com it used to clearly show if I was till signed in, now it does not. It's such a pain trying to find the Forum I want to read I'm starting to go elsewhere because your new design is so cumbersome. Sorry, this just isn't working for me.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,699
    edited December 2013

@charles_guy said: would like to get rid of the ugly automatic avatar.......... is there an option for no avatar? thank you :)

I tried putting a white square in place of the avatar for myself (could do this with Windows Paint). On some lists with a white browser background, it's completely gone; on others where the background is light blue it still shows as a white plain square.

Then I tried out making the square a transparent color using Paint Shop Pro. Now, I have no avatar picture. The background color shows through.

When I first saw the avatars, I thought it would be a distraction. However, I like having the small icons here. But other forums have them and I like this much better than some of the other auto forums where people put up all kinds, I mean all kinds, of pictures and text. I have to agree some of the graphics in the avatars are unusual.

But I went on the web and found a small general domain picture that I liked and copied it in as my avatar. Another option would be a scenic picture.

This message has been approved.

• suydamsuydam Posts: 881

I hate the "avatars"-- otherwise known as small silly icons. Please also stop awarding us "prizes" for posting like we were 10 years old. Maybe you all needed a new platform, but this edition is quite messy compared to the old. I thought if the forum look got sleeker and had less duplication that would be a plus but it seems you went the other direction. It's very busy.

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    edited December 2013

@ab348 said: Is there any way to toggle off that annoying ad at the very bottom-left of the page that seems to get in the way all the time?

I am not sure what AD you are referring to... I have no AD on the bottom-left (I have blocked the other ads using built-in Firefox ability to block specific domain-names....have you tried this?)

Bonus: Blocking images from the ad websites speeds up my browser-experience because I am not waiting for all the ads to arrive into my browser.

• suydamsuydam Posts: 881

I have Ad block too but this little Mazda ad at the bottom seems to escape it.

@suydam said: I have Ad block too but this little Mazda ad at the bottom seems to escape it.

What browser are you using? I don't see it with FireFox and with IE8 (XP). Is it possibly from a PUP or other malware? Try Malwarebytes to check.

• ray80ray80 Posts: 1,185

@imidazol97 said: What browser are you using? I don't see it with FireFox and with IE8 (XP). Is it possibly from a PUP or other malware? Try Malwarebytes to check.

I also see the Mazda ad on bottom left, hyundia ad on right side. Toyota ad was on bottom left first day or two with new forum. Firefox

I am now CONVINCED that the QUOTE feature is not working properly.

so-far, every time I use it, the system puts the wrong person in as being quoted.

Above, I pushed the button to quote @ab348 , but the system put in @suydam.

I even verified the proper name was inplace before I pushed the [Post Comment] button!!

edited December 2013

@suydam said: I have Ad block too but this little Mazda ad at the bottom seems to escape it.

I am not talking about "ad block"... I specifically tell FireFox to ignore images from specific domain-names. Beware, some ad's are not 'images' hence, they will not be blocked using this method. Perhaps the one you are talking about is not an 'image' but instead delivered to your browser via 'Flash Player'.

hint: right-click the ad to find out if it is flashPlayer

hint2: Install "flashblock" addon to FireFox to eliminate/control them

• I think the issue is when you quote a post, that already has a quoted post in it.. That's the only time I have problems.

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,383

I'll start by reiterating that I think the new forums layout is a wretched mess but I'll try to be more constructive by asking a few questions--

-Why isn't there a box for searching out specific forum topics, that would seem like a pretty basic and valuable tool?

-Why does my icon look like someone who has a bad STD and how do I get rid of it, I find it very annoying? Is there any easy way to change or dump it, I see the hosts have some nice "badges"?

-Why do the forums open to the "AM General" topic, something in which I have no interest whatsoever?

This sucker needs a lot of work.

@andys120 said: -Why do the forums open to the "AM General" topic, something in which I have no interest whatsoever?

I was thinking the very same thing.... every time I initially open Edmunds Forums, the main-page is "AM General" topic... which I have never EVER followed.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,541
    edited December 2013

@bpeebles :

I use Firefox also. How do you tell it to block specific web sources? This one at the lower left is a Toyota Venza ad that seems to come from adclick.g.doubleclick.net . I'd love to kill it.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    edited December 2013

@andys120 said: -Why isn't there a box for searching out specific forum topics, that would seem like a pretty basic and valuable tool?

-Why does my icon look like someone who has a bad STD and how do I get rid of it

-Why do the forums open to the "AM General" topic, something in which I have no interest whatsoever?

The search "box" can be found under the Forums link up top to the left. But I usually use the magnifying glass for searches when I'm in a discussion or in Recent Discussions, My Bookmarks, etc.

You can upload a photo and use that for your avatar - that feature is in your Profile under the Gear.

The AM General default issue has come up. I requested pulling I Don't Like SUVs Why Do You out of the really dead archives for the forum opener, but no one seemed interested. ;)

@andys120 said: -Why do the forums open to the "AM General" topic, something in which I have no interest whatsoever? This sucker needs a lot of work.

I bookmarked the "My Bookmarks" page as my link in my browser favorites bar. I click on that and I'm autologged onto my open bookmarks to see if any show new posts.

@andys120 said: -Why does my icon look like someone who has a bad STD and how do I get rid of it, I find it very annoying? Is there any easy way to change or dump it,

Click your user name, then Edit Profile over at the right, then change picture.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,541

@Stever@Edmunds said: The search "box" can be found under the Forums link up top to the left.

If you land on that page as an entry point, true. But with most of us using the Bookmarks page as the nearest equivalent to our old Watched Items page, there is no search box or browse dialog available on that. Another change that would be welcomed.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe