Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to Edmunds Forums!

Comments

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,773

@imidazol97 said: When I read using my Bookmarked or Participated topics, the new forum is taking me to the first new post. I.e., on this topic it showed me your post at the top of my page and showed anything below it.

Are you using Bookmarks?

It isn't a Bookmarks question, but the style of the navigation. As was said, the old s/w would show you (for example) all 12 new posts on one screen. Depending on how they fall in this new s/w, you might see only the first 4, and have to go to the next page for the other 8, etc. If you are not in the habit of checking to see if you are on the last page you might miss those.

BTW, I found another strange thing. I thought the Bookmarks list would show all the discussions with new posts all grouped together at the top. But I follow "Stories From the Sales Frontlines" and it is always buried below a few discussions that do not have new posts in them. I've missed it a few times because I don't scroll down far enough. That's gotta be a bug.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,067

@ab348 said: Depending on how they fall in this new s/w, you might see only the first 4, and have to go to the next page for the other 8, etc.

The old forums would show new posts on one page (I don't recall how many it would set up to handle). If there more carried over on another page, those would shown after you hit "Read New Posts" either immediately or after some other subscribed forums.

@ab348 said: BTW, I found another strange thing. I thought the Bookmarks list would show all the discussions with new posts all grouped together at the top.

I think it did that at first.

@ab348 said: But I follow "Stories From the Sales Frontlines" and it is always buried below a few discussions that do not have new posts in them.

I asked the Help Desk about that and received the explanation that it has been marked in some way that it's not being put in the order chronologically of topics with new posts. Instead it's being allowed to "sink" lower in the listings. The reason given was that it's an off topic kind of forum, rather than being hard core automotive in nature. I have paraphrased the explanation.

@imidazol97 said: I asked the Help Desk about that and received the explanation that it has been marked in some way that it's not being put in the order chronologically of topics with new posts. Instead it's being allowed to "sink" lower in the listings. The reason given was that it's an off topic kind of forum, rather than being hard core automotive in nature. I have paraphrased the explanation.

That seems a rather strange rationale.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,859

@imidazol97 said: Are you using Bookmarks

The "trick" is that with the new forums, ALL the posts are "new" to you as I discovered when I tried to track down all the discussions I follow. Fortunately, going to the last page of the discussion makes that discussion "marked as read" and you'll go to new posts the next time there are any.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,623

Can someone tell me how these long dead topics are now showing up? Stock Market and Investing is a good example. No new posts in YEARS!

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,132

There's new posts on the last page. Click on the highest page number and that'll catch everything up in that discussion (that "marks everything read").

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

OK, will try that!

• craskobcraskob Posts: 1

The forums are looking great! Good job!

• divinodivino Posts: 1

Looking forward to participating in this new forum.

@divino said: Looking forward to participating in this new forum.

Glad you like the new digs. If you have ANY questions don't hesitate to ask any of the moderators. That's part of why we're here!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

OK, so now, under My Drafts I have one that was sent to Uplander in the Studebaker Forum.

Except I never wrote those words nor did I respond to him. ????

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,830

@isellhondas - that's weird. Just delete those and let us know if they reappear, or if any mystery drafts reappear.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,019

For those with inaccurate join dates: Check out your profiles now! B)

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

edited January 17

Wow, I've been here since 1945.

In my profile, I've just earned the Ancient Membership badge.

Pretty much fits. :D

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I appreciate that but I actually started in 1996 not 1998. Does this mean I'm fully vested and I get 5 weeks of vacation pay?

edited January 17

Back in those days, we had a two year probation period, so no credit for that. And no vacations, take your smartphone and keep posting. B)

@Stever@Edmunds said: Back in those days, we had a two year probation period. No vacations, take your smartphone and keep posting.

You sure as heck didn't have a smartphone in 1998. You had to walk to Edmunds, through the rain and snow, uphill both ways, to make a post. ;)

edited January 17

lol (and sad to say, I still don't have a smartphone). Welcome to the Ancient Member club (maybe we can lobby to change that to "seasoned" members).

@isellhondas, before my time but if you look at the Wayback Machine, apparently you had to send in your comments to Town Hall by mail by in '96 (email I assume, lol).

I think we need to make a Prehistoric Member badge just for you. :D

I'm not as ancient as some, but then again, it's not the years, but the mileage that counts :p

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,019

@isellhondas said: I appreciate that but I actually started in 1996 not 1998. Does this mean I'm fully vested and I get 5 weeks of vacation pay?

The date was determined from the first comment you posted in the Forums.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 975

That might happen if you hit the quote button but don't post anything. Then, when you leave the forum or head to another discussion, the quote turns into a draft. It's happened to me a few times.

@isellhondas said: OK, so now, under My Drafts I have one that was sent to Uplander in the Studebaker Forum.

Except I never wrote those words nor did I respond to him. ????

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,585

G'day

Suddenly, I have more badges than a Cub Scout!

It must be some compensation for my incompetence at ball catching when I was a real Cub!

Cheers

Graham

• grampy1grampy1 Posts: 140

I'm not comfortable that when i sign out of site,i'm really signed out. Sorry,but the old site was more easier to navagate.

honda

@grampy1 said: I'm not comfortable that when i sign out of site,i'm really signed out. Sorry,but the old site was more easier to navagate.

honda

You can simply not sign out. I generally don't and come back to the forums from a Favorites link and I'm signed in. On the occasions that I actually do sign out, yes, I'm signed out.

Heh... if feels like I'm telling the old joke... Doc, it hurts when I do this... B)

@Claire@Edmunds said: That might happen if you hit the quote button but don't post anything. Then, when you leave

the forum or head to another discussion, the quote turns into a draft. It's happened to me a few times.

Well, I went there and deleted those words that I didn't write but it still shows that I have a draft and the words are back. No big deal I suppose.>

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,067

@isellhondas said: Well, I went there and deleted those words that I didn't write but it still shows that I have a draft and the words are back.

Did you go into "Drafts" in your navigation box on the right side? IIRC, it lists your drafts on the left side of the page. Then I moused over the draft and got a gear icon in the top right. Using that gear tool, I could delete the draft.

Good luck!

Done! Thank, you! I didn't see a gear but there was an X there that I clicked on and, poof, no more draft. I do wonder how it got there in the first place since I didn't write those words.

Drafts were a teeny bit confusing for me at first too. If you start typing, you have them after a short period of time. (A little pop up notification appears) If you post, they go away. If you don't, you can go back to them later and finish them, or delete as you see fit.

• wilcoxwilcox Posts: 581

So how do we Logoff? The 'Logoff' in the upper right hand screen doesn't work.

Wilcox??? is it really you? Long time no see!