Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to Edmunds Forums!

Comments

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346

@imidazol97 said: Click your user name, then Edit Profile over at the right, then change picture.

I admire your patience, imid. Members would be well advised to simply start at the beginning of this forum and start reading. Between it and the other Read Only forum tips...so many basic questions are answered right away..

It's a shame..as much of the frustration some are having is needless stress with a bit of reading first.

• PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,807
    edited December 2013

@douglas1 said: The new forums are a real step backward IMHO. Used to be when I typed in a car model it went right to that forum, now I get a list to chose from and the one I want is usually half way down the list and I have to hunt for for it. Previously when I went to the forum it told me if there were new posts since my last visit, now it does not do that. Also when I go to the opening page of Edmunds.com it used to clearly show if I was till signed in, now it does not. It's such a pain trying to find the Forum I want to read I'm starting to go elsewhere because your new design is so cumbersome. Sorry, this just isn't working for me.

There is a bit of adjustment to the way the forums are now ordered compared with the old software. Where we used to have boards by bodystyle/topic and then groups within those boards for make/model or topic, The first level of organization is by make. But I find that I'm not really starting there. I'm really using the Search box at the Forums landing page or the tags to find the discussions I'm after. And it seems that people are finding more than one way to "skin the cat" and navigate around. It was a bit disorienting for me at first as well.

The new "watched items" are the Bookmarks. Unfortunately (for us too) the Watched Items lists could not transfer over in the switch. But once you start bookmarking discussions, you will see new posts indicate in the discussions you're following by clicking on the Bookmarks link.

You also can see all the discussions that have new activity with the Recent Discussions link.

Don't hesitate to ask if you can't find something or you're not sure how some of the new toys work. That's why the moderators are her. If you have a specific discussion that you're trying to relocate, let us know and we'll try to show you exactly how we got there. (Sometimes just one step-by-step can clear up a lot of confusion)

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,701
    edited December 2013

@crkyolfrt said: Members would be well advised to simply start at the beginning of this forum and start reading.

There is a general how-to-do-it list of steps for the new forums put up by SteveR. It shows when I click on the "Forums" link in the breadcrumb line at the very top of the page.

forums.edmunds.com/discussion/16564/general/x/forum-navigation-tips

But when things are new and confusing, people just need to ask questions and get an answer then and there.

This message has been approved.

• Mark@EdmundsMark@Edmunds Santa Monica, CAPosts: 46

@andys120 said: -Why do the forums open to the "AM General" topic, something in which I have no interest whatsoever?

Could you let me know what old URL you have bookmarked that is re-directing to the AM General page? Sounds like that URL isn't matched up with the correct place in the new platform. It's an easy fix -- just need to know what the URL is. (Should be something with townhall-talk at the beginning.) Thanks.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,701

@Mark@Edmunds said: ...URL...?

I am not Andys120, but I had bookmarked the page for "Read New Posts" as my old log in page. It was taking me to AM General--still does--when I went back to IE8 to see the ad layouts there.

This is the actual link: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?38@@.ef14c39

This message has been approved.

• Mark@EdmundsMark@Edmunds Santa Monica, CAPosts: 46

Thanks @imidazol97 -- I will see if we can get that old URL redirected to the new bookmarks page.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,424

I fixed the starting page by getting where I wanted to be ("My Bookmarks") on Edmunds and all the other tabs, then resetting my home pages ("use current") under Tools=>Internet options in IE11.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206

The "AM General" is alphabetically first on the list so, in the absence of any other input, that's where you end up.

I fiddled around and set up a bookmarks list and chose that as my browser bookmark. All is well.

YMMV.

• carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,569

Merry Christmas to our hosts and everybody!

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,383

@cdnpinhead said: The "AM General" is alphabetically first on the list so, in the absence of any other input, that's where you end up.

In the alphabet I use "Acura" and "Alfa-Romeo" come before "AM General". B)

@carnaught said: Merry Christmas to our hosts and everybody!

Back at you and yours carnaught. Hope Santa left something nice in your driveway!;)

PFFlyer@Edmunds

• cmhj2000cmhj2000 Posts: 148

Not too crazy about the new format. Been playing with it for a week now and think I'll just======

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    edited December 2013

@andys120 said: In the alphabet I use "Acura" and "Alfa-Romeo" come before "AM General".

Actually, many computer-systems use "lexicographic order". The numerical equivalent of the characters is used to order them. Using this method, UPPER case characters come before lower case. Using lexicographical ordering, "AM General" comes before "Acura".

Under the covers, Computers work only with numbers. (binary numbers!) Alphabetic letters are not able to be sorted because, to a computer, they are represented by a string of ONES and ZEROS at the computational level.

More details on Hexadicamal equivalant of the Alphabet ==> http://www.asciitable.com/

More details regarding lexicographical ordering ==> http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/238250/definition-of-lexicographic-ordering

Given the above, it is obvious that "A" sorts before "a"

Heck.... even "Z" sorts before "a"

I'm not 100% certain, but I think I recall a similar point being made about sorting order during one of our previous forums changes. Deja vu all over again! :)

PFFlyer@Edmunds

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,383

I don't know what's going on but I've had some success with being able to post pictures using the recommmended method but for the past several days it hasn't worked. What am I, or you doing wrong? :@

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,936
    edited December 2013

Seems okay for me, both using the Image icon to link to pic elsewhere and using the Attach a file link to grab one off my computer. Wonder if you have a goofy URL if you are using the Image icon link.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,541

Testing posting a picture. If this works, it's my hobby car.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Another test using a hosted photo.

OK, so that's interesting. If you attach a photo from your computer, it posts a large thumbnail that you click on to expand. If you post a hosted photo, it resizes it to fit inline.

• Haven't visited the forums for a while and just had my first experience with the new format. I must say I'm astonished at how every update Edmunds does makes the site harder to navigate and more user-unfriendly. Seriously, guys: Rethink. It's gotten to the point that I dread visiting Edmunds because it's such a pain.