Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to Edmunds Forums!

Comments

• @cdnpinhead said: Oh, and is there an "edit" function?

And, more importantly, how were the default images (pictures, whatever) chosen. I like orange, so I'm OK.

Above and to right of your comment, there is a small wheel. Click on that to edit/delete your post.

Are your referring to the image next to your screen name? Click on your name to go to your profile. At the top right, there is a figure icon. Click on that and select Edit Profile. You can upload a photo from your computer there.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,011

@cdnpinhead said: Oh, and is there an "edit" function?

And, more importantly, how were the default images (pictures, whatever) chosen. I like orange, so I'm OK.

Theres a gear icon in the upper RH corner of your post- you can edit it up to four hours later. You can pick a different avatar if you like as well.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• @roadburner said: Theres a gear icon in the upper RH corner of your post- you can edit it up to four hours later. You can pick a different avatar if you like as well.

Thanks for sharing tips with other members, RB. I think sharing features and how to access them with each other is going to be our best learning tool. If you hover over any member's post, you'll see that you can give them an "awesome", etc. if you like. If you go to your own profile page, you can see how many "awesomes" you have.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,349
    edited December 2013

I've been playing around with things this morning and have to say I think this has been pretty well done. The functionality is there on the front end, and I can only imagine how improved things are on the back end. Not sure how the new software determined my join date was in 2010, but you can't win them all I guess.

Anyhow, good job!

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    edited December 2013

I like that the annoying "login using Facebook" pop-up is finally gone. (I even opened a problem-ticket on that)

HOWEVER: Being a software-developer myself - I am not happy that my years of "Watched Items" is not carried over. It would seem to me that you folks would have put more effort into supporting your long-time Edmunds contributors. Instead, I feel as if Edmunds has tossed me under the bus. Due to this, I am contemplating just not being an Edmunds member any longer.

Please tell me that this oversight will be corrected and my "Watched Items" will be restored. (As bookmarks)

• @bpeebles said: Please tell me that this oversight will be corrected and my "Watched Items" will be restored. (As bookmarks)

It wasn't an oversight - it was simply an impossibility. The structure/language/etc - EVERYTHING is different. Just getting existing discussions over was a monumental challenge. Our team did everything they could to transfer whatever could possibly be transferred. As we mentioned before the switch, staying on the old platform was out of the question. We picked the best software we could find, with the most accommodating team on their end, and put some of our best IT folks on this project. I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you wished it would have.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Kristie - thanks for the quick and honest response. Again, I am a software developer and can understand that some migrations to a different platform can be a challenge. I will commend your team for being able to keep my previous posts going back to at least 2007 (although I know I was a member in 2002)

• @bpeebles said:

HOWEVER: Being a software-developer myself - I am not happy that my years of "Watched Items" is not carried over. It would seem to me that you folks would have put more effort into supporting your long-time Edmunds contributors. Instead, I feel as if Edmunds has tossed me under the bus. Due to this, I am contemplating just not being an Edmunds member any longer.

I'm sorry that you feel this way and we certainly would not want you to leave. However, going in we knew some folks would not approve and that's natural for a major change of this nature. I hope you will at least give it a chance and we are here to assist in any way we can.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

edited December 2013

Thanks Karen, Thanks for the response. I will give the new Edmunds forums several weeks to see how things work out. I have already started to add to my 'bookmarks' list.

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,921

@bpeebles said: I will commend your team for being able to keep my previous posts going back to at least 2007 (although I know I was a member in 2002)

Hm, just found one of mine dated 2002 in a fast skim.

Hadn't noticed the missing Facebook popup until you mentioned it. That's a nice omission!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,010

How do I find stories from the sales front lines?

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• You can use the Forums link at the top of the page, where you'll find a search box to find any of your "lost" favorites. Here's a link: http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/4831/general/x/stories-from-the-sales-frontlines#latest

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,267
    edited December 2013

@Mark@Edmunds said: If you'd like to bookmark an entire Category, go to Edit Profile > Notification Preferences. You'll find a full list of Categories there and can select those you wish to bookmark.

Mark, I appreciate the reply on this! Unfortunately, I don't see that there are any Categories under that section at all.... Attached is a screenshot of that particular section. If you can provide any further clarification for the technically challenged (yes, I'm in that group!), I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks!

• Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,675
    edited December 2013

@xwesx said:

After Mark posted, we discovered that he can see that list, but the rest of us aren't seeing it. So this one's not a fault in your technical expertise. We've sent that question in to find out why.

PS - being able to attach a file is a NICE feature, IMO.

• PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    edited December 2013

@cdnpinhead said: Oh, and is there an "edit" function?

The avatars were (I think) simply randomly generated (mine was brown) but it's really easy to change. Just click on your username and you'll be at your profile page. Hover over your avatar and you'll see the words Change Picture at the top of your avatar image. Click and select an image from your computer. I like orange too... perhaps an orange car??? :)

Oh yea, edit (just used it) Click on that little "gear" to the right of your username above the post, you'll see Edit. You have a 4 hour window to edit.

And below a post you can click Quote, and it will copy in the post you're responding to (just like I did with yours)

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

edited December 2013

@Kirstie@Edmunds said:

> PS - being able to attach a file is a NICE feature, IMO.

I know we're past Thanksgiving, but I'm thankful for all the helpful eyes and fingers poking around and pointing out things that might need tweaking or are really neat new toys we have! I know I work here, but this is by far my favorite forum and set of members to be around.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

• ray80ray80 Posts: 1,185
    edited December 2013

Hhmm Can't click quote from shoes and have to work (to large a reply maybe), but I'll add on browsers I've been using (Firefox and older IE) the 'gear' doesn't show up unless cursor is withing your reply area

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,921

Yeah, the Gear and the Promote/Insightful/Awesome buttons don't show up unless you hover within the post area.

• @Stever@Edmunds said: Yeah, the Gear and the Promote/Insightful/Awesome buttons don't show up unless you hover within the post area.

That's probably to cut down on visual clutter. No real need to see those all the time.

@ray80 said: Hhmm Can't click quote from shoes and have to work (to large a reply maybe), but I'll add on browsers I've been using (Firefox and older IE) the 'gear' doesn't show up unless cursor is withing your replay area

The gear is showing up if I'm anywhere over the post (at least in Firefox) I'll have to try some other browsers in a bit. But keep noticing things!!

PFFlyer@Edmunds