Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• I took my 01 CL-S to my local Honda dealer and had them install factory Honda Accord coupe side moldings. Cost was $138 installed, the color match is perfect, my car is silver. Had them installed at the crease on the lower side of the door and rear quarters. Looks 100% factory. This was the first thing I did after getting my CL, the moldings have already saved me at least twice from getting dinged.

Erik V.
  • ineto6ineto6 Posts: 161
    I don't really care for them since I usually park my car out of the way. The problem with side moldings is that it makes waxing the car more of a hassle. If you ever had wax on those parts then you know what I mean.
  • juiceyjuicey Posts: 7
    Thanks for the advice. I also have the silver. I had already done some research. I did look at the Accord Coupe and compared color codes. It is the exact same color. I was thinking that installing them at the crease on the lower side of the door and rear quarters was a bit low. Just a thought. I was afraid that the side molding would take away from the look of the car. Is this the case? I don't guess that you would have a picture to send me?

I don't really care for them either. I am very particular about where I park my car. I don't even drive it in the rain. I think it will take away from the look of the car, but if I could prevent a dent/chip/scratch, it would be well worth it even if waxing does cause a problem.

I also work with someone that owns the old CL. It has molding that looks pretty good. Took a few measurements, it will be pretty close. The only problem would be the color. I feel the Accord Coupe would me the way to go.
    Tahnks again
    Not many new cars have this feature or many people appreciated. Even though this has been around for decades - seen it in a '76 Olds. Maybe the reception would have been better with the powered antenea, but I like the integrated look - you don't have to take care of it !!!
  • I have read several posts from CL owners in regards to the Bose stereo system in the CL. I currently have a Solara with a 200wt JBL system that is outstanding for a factory installed sound system. Just curious what the specs on the CL system and why people say that it is subpar for the car it is installed in.
    Thanks-
    PNC
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    I don't know the power output of the CL-S stereo without looking it up -- maybe 120 watts?
    I compared it to the BOSE system in my previous car, a '95 Maxima, and the Maxima's is way superior in terms of the highs and lows. You can really crank the Maxima's system up without distortion. And if you play a track with a heavy bass, you can literally feel it.
  • great engine for an uninsiring car. Acura should have given the body a little more soul like they did the integra and legend(for its time). The bmw and is300 have an inspiring aura of their own, but the acura CL and TL lack personality. Its too conservative. With that superb engine, they could have made a more spectacular car to get them in the pact with bmw and lexus.
  • tomsrtomsr Posts: 325
    I have a 98 CL and a 01 3.2 TL.I like the headlights on the TL.I saw at the auto parts
    store that replacement bulbs for the CL are
    available with a blue tint.Is this a gimmick or are they actually brighter?
    The styling I can live with. But you would think with the performance it offers and the fact that it is targeting the upscale European imports, Acura would have done a better job with the build quality. The fit and finish and various nagging rattles on the CL-S wouldn't even be acceptable on a garden variety Accord.
  • jrentjrent Posts: 15
    Just purchased for $28,400 in So CA used my '96 Infinite J30 as trade (70,500) They gave me $10,200 for the J30 was this a deal or did I get taken? Any thoughts on bras, I want to preserve the finish of the car but is a bra realistic for every day use or only on long freeway trips? Regarding after market side moldings, are these epoxyed on or riveted to the body?
    You can use it for a long period like a month or more, but when the rest of the car begins to look dirty then you should take it off. Basically, remove before every car wash and wax the car well before putting it back on. You'll have to wash the mask as well since it is likely to collect road debris.

jrent - I am not sure that you got a good trade-in deal. Maybe a thousand more would have been better. You might want to use Edmund's appraisal or KBB next time for future reference. As far as side molding, I've read that some people use the ones for the Accord or bought some custom ones from PepBoys.
  • crazyclcrazycl Posts: 2
    I just brought my new 2001 Aura CALL into the dealership to have the windshield replaced. The Aura person described the problem as "rippling" in the windshield. I drove off in a loner CALL that had the same problem. Then I talked to a friend that has an identical CALL and he said it was the anti-reflective coating!?! Has anyone else noticed the rippling? I notice it on the passenger side when I am in the driver's seat. I also notice it when I walk up to my car (10-15 away) and look at the windshield area from an angle. Straight lines are distorted.

By the way, the dealership has replaced the windshield twice. Same problem. They are now suggesting after market glass. Any ideas?
  • juiceyjuicey Posts: 7
    The Accord Coupe side molding is epoxyed.
    With my CL-S I got the Acura Bra. Not to crazy about one of the ways that it goes on under the hood. It hooks with these pieces of plastic in a funny way. But, it fits like a glove and looks wonderful. My car has not been driven with out it and never will. It is not a bad idea to wax the covered surfaces at least every other time you clean the car.
  • jwk4jwk4 Posts: 5
    I bought the new CL type S. I must say a wonderful car. The owner's manual recommends for the break in: avoid hard acceleration and hard breaking for the first 600 mls. Since I drive 70 mls on the highway and with 2000 rpm, I figure this should work out fine. (correct me if I'm wrong). But my gas mileage seems to be lower than Acura advertises. (30 mpg vs the 22 I'm driving) I now have 350 mls on it. Does the mileage improve???? Do I break in the car correct???

thanks for any response.

jwk
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,026
    ...but I'm dropping by to see if any CL owners would be interested in having an Acura CL Owners Club on the Owner's Club Board.

Let me know if you are interested!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

during break-in interval, I think you should try to vary the speed you drive also. Constant and prolonged driving at one time is not recommended in some car's manual. My mpg during break-in got as high as 24mpg, but I did mixed driving. I've been getting over 28mpg for highway only driving. I've posted my mpg in a news and view topic and earlier in this topic.

Other things to consider, did you use A/C? Did you have windows down? Did you have the moonroof open? How high did you rev the engine?
    on a rolling launch ie. those 5 - 60 mph runs that C & D likes to time? The reason I find is that the tranny shifts into 2nd too early. It's like as soon as you start to roll the tranny goes into 2nd. And then when you punch the gas the tranny gets confused and hesitate for a split second between 2nd & 1st before it pops back into 1st.
  • In my experience, that is common for a Honda V6 engine. I noticed with 2 previous Accord V6 engines I had. It's just a slight pause before the car takes off when you punch the gas.
    I now own a Toyota Solara with a V6 and I have not noticed this tendency when i jump on the gas pedal.
    I am curious if you notice the same problem when using the "sport" shift mode?
  • mrdeeenomrdeeeno Posts: 53
    it's the tranny. you can bypass that by moving the shifter all the way back to 1 if you really want to hold 1 that badly.

it may also be traction control/vsa...when you stomp it and it downshifts to 1, it'll probably kick in 'cuz the wheels are on the verge of slipping.

so try turning off vsa/tcs.
    using sportshift wouldn't help since ss automatically shift into 2nd. mrdeeeno's suggestion of turning off VSA may work.