Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• dgsgdgsg Posts: 29
    National Sports Bar & Grill,West Covina, Fashion Plaza, Sunday September 24th, 10:30 AM. If enought people respond that they can
    make it, I will check with the manager and see if we can get our own room. Bring your friends!!!
  • What the hell did that last post mean?? What is an FL fan?

????????????????????????????????
  • rgs3rgs3 Posts: 3
    Can anyone definitively tell me what areas of the seats of a '99Cl 3.0 are REAL leather? Also, what about that little curtain of leather-looking material on the door? I detailed my car today, and I don't know what cleaner/protectant to put where.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    I think only the seating surfaces are leather. The side of back of the seats are vinyl. And I'm pretty sure the material on the door is also vinyl.
  • delawdelaw Posts: 1
    My 1999 3.0CL (29,500 miles)developed an interesting problem this weekend.

When I place the car transmission in "reverse", a very loud "screeching" sound comes from the front passenger side wheel.

In forward gear, the sound is much softer, but still noticable.

This sounds to me (am I am not a mechanic) like either a bad wheel bearing or a stuck break pad.

At any rate, I will take to the shop tomorrow (Monday) morning.

I decided not to drive the car on Sunday, so my plans are shot.

I live 120 miles from the nearest Acura dealer, do I am going to take it to my local mechanic.

How does Acura reimburse for warranty work?

Should I have the car towed?

What does the problem sound like to you?

Thanks,

David
  • guitarzanguitarzan Posts: 632
    I would call Acura's assistance line (don't know it by heart.) They may tow to the dealer. When you find that number in your owners packet, you'll find instructions on coverage of such issues.
  • ddg2ddg2 Posts: 2
    I CURRENTLY OWN A 1995 INFINITI G20. ALTHOUGH I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH THIS CAR AND LOVE THE HANDLING, THE ACCELERATION IS A LITTLE SLOW. I AM LOOKING AT A USED 3.0 CL (A 1997) AND ALSO A '97 CADILLAC CATERA. AT THIS POINT I AM LEANING TOWARD THE CL BECAUSE OF ITS SPORTIER APPEARANCE AND FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD, BETTER RELIABILITY. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD GIVE ME SOME REALLY GOOD REASONS WHY I SHOULD GO WITH THE ACURA WEATHER IT BE BAD THINGS ABOUT THE CATERA OR GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE ACURA.

THANKS
  • pblevinepblevine Posts: 858
    You are mixing apples and oranges. It all depends on what you want in a car. Just for yourself, try to define 1)Your real requirements, 2)Your wish list, and 3)Your gut reactions to various auto attributes. With that, you can form your own conclusions based on critical thinking and practical experience. Otherwise, you could just as easily have included a Hummer and a Geo Metro.
    Acura is very reliable. Parts are expensive, like brake calipers, rotors, and exhaust. Acura typically will go longer without squeaks and rattles than Cadillac. The Caddy probably has a whole lot more toys than an Acura at the same price point. Acura will hold its value better.
  • markz2kmarkz2k Posts: 112
    You might want to look in the Maint/Repair conference, there's a topic about Catera's. The '97-'98's seem to have a LOT of problems. There's no question in my mind the Acura will be far more reliable.

I drove a Catera and an Acura 3.2TL at the Edmunds Live! event in LA last week. There was no contest between the 2, the TL was far and away the better choice. The Catera was surprisingly gutless, and handled poorly. My opinion only, of course.
  • Hey yall! Im 15 years old, and i just bought my very own brand new 2001 Acura 3.2 CL! I've only had it for a month now, and i havent experienced any major problems with it. One tiny little problem was that the plastic parts inside the car (that is, the little things that go under the seats, or the little pieces that open and close storage compartments, etc.) feel cheap and have fallen off already, and i have no idea (and no time) to get them back on. But so far, i love the car. The ride is responsive and refined, the interior reminds me of a lexus (so luxurious!), and the exterior design with its rounded tail is nearing on "sexy". Its a very different, attractive, smoothe styling, especially for an Acura. I read reviews about how great and powerful the CL-S is (i got the less powerful CL), and it makes me regret a little that i didnt get that instead. Of course, if i had asked my dad about the CL-S i probably would have pushed the envelope w/ him a little too much and i would probably end up with some cheapo Corolla. But in truth, aside from the 17 inch wheels for better handling, there is no difference in exterior/interior look, only a more powerful engine. and when you're 15, a racing-quality engine is pretty much your last priority. Even so, i cant take this smooth and even powerful 225 HP V6 3.2 Liter VTEC engine for granted. Its similarly (but a little less $$) priced competitor, the BMW 323i, only has 170 HP 2.5 liter engine, which the Acura blows away in speed. But its real competitor, as far as engine/torque/features is the BMW 328Ci, which costs $10,000 more and still has less HP than the CL. So why spend all that extra cash for a car that's so similar to the Acura (and still slower)? Probably for the name "BMW" on the front of the car. But dont let that trick anyone into buying that BMW...you can get all the 328 and more in the Acura CL which costs so much less and is truly more impressive, inside and out.
  • hey again. Has anyone had buyer's remorse when they buy their new cars? That is, they love their cars (or they dont, i dont know), but looks at another car driving on the road, and maybe wishes he could drive that car instead of his. I'm having that same problem, to a small degree. I'm looking at the Audi A4 2.8, and thought it might be cool to have that car. But i know that the acura's features and luxury interior appearance blow away the A4's. Inside, the A4 still looks like a volkswagen. and the A4 is slow and lethargic. but i cant get over the attractive exterior look of the A4, and in that aspect, its a genuine Audi. I wouldnt trade in my CL for an A4, but im wondering how i would look in an A4 2.8. Might be nice to drive it for a week or so. Can anyone who reads this give me their opinions on the A4 2.8 compared to the CL? Thanx.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    You've got a licence at 15? What part of the country are you from. And you're buying Acuras and Audis at 15? Your last name is not Gates, is it? :)
    As for buyer's remorse, I don't know if that's what I would call it, but yeah, the day after I take delivery of a new car, I would start thinking about what would it be like if I had bought something else. I think all car guys do this. It's like with women. Even if your wife looks like Miss America (mine doesn't), you would still look at, and think about, other women!
  • Well, damn!

Sounds like you got some money you lil' bugger!

Obi
  • zoinkzoink Posts: 3
    re: buyers remorse

Everybody gets buyers remorse. Don't worry, people are looking at your ride and thinkin the same thing!

As far as my question .. I am ready to buy a black 97 3.0 CL Premium with 18k miles. The car is in decent shape cosmetically and the engine is very quiet. There is a scuff on the very back crease of the trunk which really bothers me. Also, the vinyl that meets the leather is starting to separate on the drivers seat. I also find little white dots on the leather. I feel that the dealer should take care of the cosmetic faults (which he said he would) but we all know how this goes. If they do an average job at fixing these blemishes, Is $18,000 a fair price to pay the dealer?
    For such low miles it sounds like that car is beat up a little. I would have an independent mechanic look it over good before buying.
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 641
    paying $18000 on a 3 year old cl?? that's too much.... buy a 2000 leftover accord coupe-- new. agree?
  • zoinkzoink Posts: 3
    re: 97 3.0CL Premium for $18,000

I won't pay that unless the trunk is touched up and the seats are taken care of. The car was a trade in by an older couple who didnt put many miles on it (6k per year). I think the driver was probably a heavier guy that didn't really take care of the interior. I'll wait until the dealer prepares the car for the final sale then take it from there.
    I haven't seen any 3.0CL Premiums less than $18,000 with less than 20k miles. If you have, please direct me to that dealer!
  • I have read nothing but good things about the redesigned Acura coupes. I am new to this posting and would like some assistance. I live in a smaller town where there is one Acura dealer, and he really won't deal. I have also heard that the Cl and CLS can possibly be purchased at a discount. I am interested in a three year lease or purchase and was wondering what other CL or CLS owners paid/leased their Acura coupes for. Any assistance would be appreciated.
  • mtv2mtv2 Posts: 1
    I have had a 2001 CLs since May and have really enjoyed the car. Just now have it at the dealer to get the annoying moon roof rumble fixed along with a couple other small things.

As a loaner, the dealer gave me a '99 CL 3.0. It's nice to be able to compare the two, and to be honest, I'm pretty impressed by the '99's performance. It seems to be a little smaller than the new model, but that fact notwithstanding, it's a pretty quick car. Good, quiet acceleration - better than I expected.

I really like the styling of the '01 much better, but I can see why people would want to own the previous CL models as well. Just thought I'd throw in a good word on a car I had previously be skeptical on.