Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• cyranno99cyranno99 Posts: 419
    acura-cl will be until 6pm eastern as far as I know... for upgrading. The 6-speed will be available for 2002 CL, not TL yet.
  • Thanks for the update on the website.

Do you feel pretty certain that the CL will get the 6-speed? I can find nothing to confirm outside of the Autoweek tidbit.

Thanks-
    PNC
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    cyranno99-

Thanks. Beach scenes are nice too. I'll try that next. Maybe some from NH too on the 4th of July by the pond.

phatnastycat-

IF you wait to order the Zaino, maybe Sal will have the NEW and improved Z out- shines better, dries faster, no Z1 AND allows multiple coats in the SAME day!!! I can't wait!

Are you thinking of getting a CL? Get the type S. You'll love it. I think I have 4,600 or 4,700 miles on it already! That's only since 3/28/01!!! Work is 3 miles away!! I love this car! It's quiet, it's comfortable and it's FAST! Gas mileage has always been in the 20's. That's a mixture of city/highway and AC on and off. Never less then 300 miles per tank.

I think the people in the acura-cl.com topic who have problems are the ones with all the mods. It seems like they drive them hard. I have NO engine mods and I don't race people at every traffic light. I don't expect that I will have any problems. Go drive one and see for yourself.

fastdriver
  • Hopefully by this Fall the new Zaino products will be out. Anything that makes it easier, especially for some new to using it like me, will be great. Look forward to hearing more about it.

Yes, I am considering getting a CL-S. I have been on a test drive a few times and really enjoyed it. I too wouldn't do any mods since I will be leasing. Besides, my daily commute doesn't include any trips through Hazard County, so I don't have a need for any added performance outside of what the car already provides. I leave that for Bo and Luke. : )
    I have read a lot on the Cl website about the problems with the actuator (sp?). Do you think this is something to be concerned about?
    The only other car I am seriously considering is the IS300. My preference is the CL-S because of all that comes standard. About all I'd want to add is a spoiler. I don't have a need or see the value in getting the Nav. IMO it's more something people get to say they have it. Of course, if you take a lot of road trips I could see the value.
    Anyway, that's kind of where I am on my next car purchase. It will probably come down to which car I can get the best deal on. Either way, I think I'll have a great car that will be reliable and fun to drive.
    Later-
    PNC
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    but have you considered the 2002 Maxima/I35?
    260hp plus a bunch of additional goodies.
    phatnastycat-

Leasing mine too. No nav either. Figured that if I haven't been lost yet in 55 years, it won't happen anytime soon! LOL... I am a gadget freak and should have at least inquired about how much it would have added to the lease.

I've read about the actuator too. I don't think it's a major problem/concern. You have the 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty so there's not much to worry about. Also, it's easy to check and easy to fix. I've never checked mine, but when I step on the gas, this baby GOES!!!!!!!! I assume that mine is working!

Personally, I like the looks of the CL better then the IS. I'm sure that's a fine car too, but it never did anything for me, so I never bothered to look at one and drive it. Is it smaller then the CL? It looks it.

Good luck with whatever you get. Keep us informed.

fastdriver
  • CanadianCL-
    I don't know a whole lot about the new I35. Do you when it will be available and where I can get some info on it? I have read about the Maxima, but a lot of the options that will make the car really fun to drive won't be fully available until Dec. according to the Nissan info I have read. Let me know what you know about the I35

Fastdriver-
    I say that having driven both cars that the IS300 is not quite as "roomy" inside as the CL. I do like the looks of both cars, though I think the CL could be a little more bolder in its styling. However, I really like the look of both cars. The new CL is a big improvement of the look of the original CL model. IMO, that was an ugly car.
    My wife would prefer I get the IS because of the 4-doors. She worries about the possibility of getting a baby seat (no children yet, but certaingly in the next 2 years) in and out of the back seat of a coupe. Though I think with the auto forwarding seats, it does allow for rather easy entry and exit. Plus I think the CL has more room in the backseats than in the IS.
    My Solara has very room backseats, and don't seem to be that hard to get in and out of.
    One question I have for you. Have you owned a manual before and how would you compare the driving experience of the SS to a true manual?
    Thanks-
    PNC
    6-speed - I am not too sure about it, but I think it is likely because the RSX will have it and there seems to be a demand for it. Even with FWD, the manual would make it more of a driver's car.

phat - you might want to consider the TL type S. I like the way they redesigned it. As for the Maxima, I'd wait for the new style in 2003 model. Then you might have the Infiniti G35 to make your choice more difficult :)
    phatnastycat-

I haven't owned a manual for YEARS! I do more around town driving then highway driving and hate shifting every two minutes. I'll stick with the 5-speed. I only use the SS on the Acura for slowing down, not starting off from a light.

fastdriver
    I would think twice about getting the CL if you plan on having kids within the next 2 years. The CL's back seat is fairly roomy for kids or not-too-tall & husky adults. But if you need to put baby car-seats back there, forget it. The shape of the rear seats is not conducive to car-seats. Plus those motorized front seats look impressive in the showroom but for practical use are rather slow. As cyranno suggested, if you like the performance and features of the CL-S, then consider the TL-S instead.
    Yes, I know some people hated it, but I have to share my thought on how to make shifting it fun. Very simple - firm and quick shift. That's how you can row through the gears smoothly. If you do it in a slow or even regular manner then it won't be as fun or as smooth. Just give it a try :) If you can row from Park to 1 in a smooth motion then you have mastered it, Grasshopper :))
  • mrdeeenomrdeeeno Posts: 53
    I don't know, I think it's just something magazines have to complain about...they never complain about Mercedes having it or Mercedes having foot operated ebrakes either.

And now everyone's doing it (ie nissan/infiniti is putting gated shifters in their new cars now too!).
    that's what I really want - right on the steering wheel so you'll have more room on the floor for storage and things. MB's shifter is a little different from ours so maybe car critics like it more. I haven't seen any car makers marketing department touting the advantages of gated shifter. There must be some out there.

oh yah, I notice that the outside thermometer is a few degrees higher even at highway speed - anyway, I am too lazy to get that fixed.... maybe next service.
  • mdanielmdaniel Posts: 47
    You can adjust the outside temp with the odometer buttons. Its in the manual. You can change the readout by +/-3.
    Do you try to manouver it through the pattern or just push/pull it straight up and down without even looking at it?
  • tomsrtomsr Posts: 325
    My 98 CL 2.3 Auto. was to be my last new car
    but it's sluggish performance makes me want more.
    Now Acura sends me a magazine with an article
    about the new 2002 RSX and gets me drooling again.
    Is there no end to their enticing ways? Anybody
    know what these will cost?Is 55 too old to want a
    car like this?Maybe I just haven't grown up yet.
    Next step after a Buick is the graveyard.By the way BEWARE of quick lube places.One caused an oil leak (bad filter) another left the brake fluid
    reservoir cap loose causing the brake warning
    light to come on.
    tomsr-

You only live ONCE! If you like it, get it! I just received an engraved invitation from my Acura dealer to see it at a special showing in a few weeks. I just bought my CL-S in March, so I won't be buying one, but I would like to see it and drive it. BTW- if you go and see one, drive the CL-S too! You WON'T find anything sluggish about this baby AND gas mileage in the 20's around town!

Take a look at some pics I took today-

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=912729&a=13412137&p=51118713&f=0

fastdriver
  • mdanielmdaniel Posts: 47
    How does a guy that goes by the name "fastdriver" manage over 20 mpg around town in a CL-S? I average 20 mpg and that includes alot of freeway driving mixed in. I haven't done any road trips so I don't know what I'd get with 100% freeway.
    I can barely get 20 mpg, and I'm using imperial gallons. I think that's equivalent to approx. 16 mpg on US gallons.
    Do the rest of you CL-S owners get the impression that your car's "peppiness" fluctuates over time? For instance, when I hit about 4000 miles, the engine felt very fast, very loose. Almost seemed to rev faster. I just thought it was finally fully broken in. Then I took it in for the first oil and filter change. Now it seems to be just a touch less peppy. It seems to need more throttle to get the same surge. Of course I have no instumented evidence, just seat-of-the-pants feel.