Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• drrobertdrrobert Posts: 8
    I'm considering a 2001 CL-S and have a few questions.
    Any help would be very appreciated.

1- Price - I was quoted $28,200 w/out nav. (NY area)I didn't even haggle yet. But since this is late in model year, I should be able to do better, what with 2002's coming soon. Anyone agree?

2- Transmission - I test drove the car yesterday and I noticed the same transmission characteristics as I did with my '93 Legend, and also '88 Civic. I floored the car at about 10 mph and no surge in acceleration, like there's a "dead spot" in the tranny. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

But the sport shift cures that. The thing is, can you use the sport shift 100% of the time? Can the tranny take hard use on a consistent basis?
    I test drove the Solara SLE-V6 and the auto cranny was super smooth and always ready to rumble. Not sure the CL's tranny is as good.

3- Handling - The steering seemed a little light.
    I though my '93 Legend handled great, perhaps better than the CL-S, but maybe because of the feel of the steering, which is heavier on the Legend. Any thoughts? Also, I now have '96 RL, (lease is up in a mo.) The car gets a little ponderous over 90 mph. Not so with the Legend.
    How is the high speed handling/stability on the CL-S?

4- Stereo - The stereo sounded ok, but not quite as clear and powerful as I expected. I would expect something better for a car in this price range. (But it did sound better than the Solara's
    JBL.) Am I right about this?

Thanks a lot for any advice.
  • mdanielmdaniel Posts: 47
    You must have driven a defective car. If I floor it at 10mph in either sportshift or full auto, it will downsift to 1st if its not already there. Then it accelerates so hard the front wheels almost come off the ground. And if I keep it floored during the 1-2 shift at redline, the tires will chirp. I have a CL type S.
    Thanks mdaniel

Yeah, maybe the car was defective. Good to hear that you haven't had a problem. Before I buy the car, I'll check it out carefully.

What about the handling, is it as good as I've read?
    I think the handling is very good. My previous car was a 92 Integra GS hatchback. My initial impressions were that the CL has much less understeer than the Integra. Compared to the Integra, the CL turns like its on rails. I've never done any real high speed runs, but it cruises geat at 80. Feels more like 60. I've done 100 a couple of times and it felt fine. My dad has a 94 Legend sedan. My CL blows it away in every respect but one: He can make a U turn in a residential street. I cannot.
    Yeah, I've read about the large turning radius.
    But you cant have everything, I guess.

Well, the dealer just called me a minute ago to see if i was ready to buy. This may mean I can negotitate the price down. He said dealer invoice was 28,000, and he wanted 200 over that but I checked and it is 27,700. Also, a 2001 should be discounted as it is late in the model year. I'll maybe offer 27,200 and start from there.

By the way, what color should I go with?
    I got silver. The choices for the Type S were white, black, silver, red, or gold. I just had a white car for 8 years, so I was ready for something different. Black is too hard to keep clean. Red and gold aren't me. So I got silver.
  • It has been reported on Acura-cl.com that you can get a Type S in Blue, though most dealer salespeople aren't aware of this.

I recommend checking out this site, as it has been a world of info to me (someone who is also looking at the CL for my next car).
    Later-
    PNC
    Yes, the Type S is now available in blue. But I think its a 2002. So if you're looking to get a deal on a 2001 because its last year's model, blue won't work. You can have my silver 2001 Type S with navi and 23,000 miles if the 6 speed ever shows up. :)
  • mb710327mb710327 Posts: 9
    Having had both a silver and black colored honda. Silver is elegant and easier to maintain than nighthawk black. But the choice is yours. Can't wait till the 6-speed CL Type S comes out. Can you say 0-60 in just under 6 seconds. Yeah babe.
  • Not every 6 speed is faster than the automatic!

If the CL Type S has a 0-60 time of 6.7 seconds, then a 6 speed will most likely do it in about 6.0 to 6.1 flat. Just an opinion, but I would put money on.

I have heard that some auto Vettes are faster then their 6 speed counterparts!

Obi
    1990 BMW M3 Alpinweiss II
    What would make an auto faster 0-60 than a stick? Do you think maybe it only applies to high HP, high torque cars where manually controlling all that power is difficult. Either that, or they blew it designing the gear ratios on the manual.
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Posts: 419
    Well, the automatic that claimed to be faster than a manual comes from Audi. They are saying that their new CVT will be more efficient and better performance than your standard manual transmission. Yup, some 4-speed auto Vettes are almost as fast to 60, but the 6-speed is still better overall.

But the time of 6.7 sec is not carved in stone - conditions vary.
    The CVT makes sense since it can hold the engine at max torque and let the car catch up. How much power are they pushing? Honda's cvt is limited to something like 120hp which makes it useless in most cars with decent performance.
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Posts: 419
    Sorry, I can't remember, but someone gave me a link to an Audi website, somewhere on their site, that stated the CVT will be mated to the V-6 in the A4 that will come out next year. We'll see.

Yeah, Subaru used to have CVTs on their 4-bangers as well.
  • I'd rather have a 5 or 6 speed myself. Just feel like you are more in control of the vehicle.

Obi
    Obi, I feel the same way. I miss the control and fun of the manual. I can't wait till the 2002 CL-S shows up with the 6 speed. Assuming the rumors are true of course.
    Too bad the blue is not out until 2002 or I would have gone with it.

From what I've read, the CL-S paint quality is not as good as it should be, and that it chips easily. Is this correct? If so, another reason to stay away from black. What about the stuff I've been reading about, from Zaino? Should I get this?
  • mrdeeenomrdeeeno Posts: 53
    the blue is out for the cl-s. i think it was the replacement color for the pimpgold.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    would diminish the fun of having a manual, IMHO
    The stories about the paint are true. It is pretty thin. Zaino is good stuff. I use it on my silver CL-S. No wax will deflect stones, but it will make it shine. Silver is a neutral color. It never looks terrible, but it never looks as good as say black or red. See my web site at www.msdcomputer.com/cl for some pictures. I've noted which cars have Zaino. That includes my silver on page 3.

The CL handles well for a big car so I still think a stick would be fun. Not in the same class as an RSX-S or S2000, but still better than what we've got.