Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• cyber_xcyber_x Posts: 37
    Looks like there's a CL body kit in the works. Don't know if it's available yet...looks sort of like it's still a prototype. Here's a link (click on the pic for more photos):

http://www.importfan.com/cl_01_up_b.htm

I know a lot of you guys don't like body kits, but I just thought I'd post it for reference anyway.

Don't know how this kit will come out looking, since there's no finished pics yet. In any case, for or against body kits, it's still nice that the CL is finally getting some aftermarket support.

• mdanielmdaniel Posts: 47
    The headroom depends on where your waist is. People with long legs and short torsos will have no problem. But reverse it and you'll be banging your head on the headliner. If you get too close to a curb, you WILL scratch the 01 CL-S rims. The spokes stick out further than the tires. The 02 TL-S has different wheels that look very similar but don't stick out as much. I don't know which wheels the 02 CL-S has. I have 25000 miles and only one scratched rim. It happened on the front right rim as I was turning left into a parking space. I got too close to the planter and scraped about 1.5 spokes. Also, never run these wheels through an automatic car wash with the steel tray that grabs your car by the wheel. Guaranteed scratches.
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Posts: 419
    those are really ugly pictures for body kits... I am not sure what to think of them.

Yeah, I do like the rims on the RSX. I wish that the 2001 CL has those....less chance of being scratch. Anyway, I am more worry about the paint damages at high speeds. I hope that someone will come up with better polymer to better protect the car paint because I don't want to use the 3M clear mask stuff for my whole car....
  • g_carg_car Posts: 46
    Sorry if I missed this posted somewhere else, new to the board. Does Honda have plans for a 6 Speed CL. Looking to trade in my daily driver manual Accord for a CL, really like the way it looks and I believe its a great bargain but really would like a stick. We already have a 2001 BMW 5er with a Step along with 5 speed 300ZX and I really would like to stay with a manual for my daily driver. Wife mostly drives the Bimmer and the 300 is the weekend let the hair down car. Anyway if anyone has any news on a possible 2002 6 speed CL please pass along. The other options we were looking at were to go with a 2002 6 speed Maxima SE, Audi A4 or the VW Passat. Many Thanks.
    daily driver? I'd suggest that you consider the RSX Type S since you can get a 6-speed. Who really knows when they will have the manual for the CL.... probably a year from now....
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    I test drove an RSX as long as I was at the dealer test driving a TL-S. The RSX is very noisy. Lots of road noise. Way more than the TL-S or my CL. Way more. The road noise was similar to my 94 Civic.
    I don't know if that would be comfortable as a daily commute car, if you're used to a high end car like the BMW. The RSX is quite an exceptional value, though.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    I'm glad you're happy with the CL-S. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret getting the CL-S. It feels great when you get the chance to really drive it hard. It's just that I spend alot of time commuting in traffic and chauffeuring the kids and it's during those occasions when I think that an Accord would be just as good.
  • dee35dee35 Posts: 11
    I know I'm being overly dramatic, but that's how I feel. My 2.5 week old baby is getting the body work she needs to be beautiful again. I still can't believe I got rear-ended and owned the car for just 5 days. How unfair! Now I'm driving around in this crappy Cavalier. It doesn't even have power windows or locks! Insurance companies stink! I managed to get one upgrade just so the car would have power steering. Can you believe that?! I didn't know they made them without it! Not in this millenium!
    I can't wait until I get my car back! I love it every bit as much as you guys do! As soon as I get it back, it's getting Zaino'd, so it looks just like fastdriver's, only mine has a spoiler.
    Has anyone noticed how few Acura's there are on the road. I'm always looking for one, rarely see one though. That makes our cars that much more special, I guess. Once the word gets out, everybody will have one! Well, I'll be thinking of you all cruising around in your CL's this week, while I just putter around in this lousy Cavalier. If I can just get through this week...ho hum.

Dee
  • jrentjrent Posts: 15
    I can't image how inconsiderate some people can be. I've had my CL/S for 5 months and I don't mean to get to carried away but I haven't let the kids in it yet or my wife drive it . The cars show room new and I take great pains to keep it that way. I'm sure you'll be overjoyed when you get your "Baby" back on the road.
  • tomsrtomsr Posts: 325
    Shortly after getting my new CL some bozo used some sharp object and put a long scratch on the passengers side.Lucky for me my son works for a
    big dealership that has an excellent body shop.
    The insurance estimate was $900.My deductible was
    $250.The actual cost of the repair was $500 so I made out.I now have various dings from people
    opening their car doors into my car.Just glad it is not leased so I don't have to worry about it.
    If you have a heart attack over little dings you
    should leave the car in the garage and don't drive it.
    You haven't let your kids in it? Or your wife drive it? Dude. It's a car.
  • g_carg_car Posts: 46
    The reason I want a manual I have a great commute, 10 miles of 2 lane twisting back roads no traffic,great scenery. Its my therapy session after a s*%^$! day at work :-)
    Would be a shame to "waste" it with a auto. I really do like the CL-S. I was suprised that it has 260hp, really doesn't feel that strong coming off the line, but it is a very smooth driving car. Maybe its the gearing. The car would be really great with a stick. RSX is a little too boy racer for me. I would get a Toyota Celica if I was going that route. Thanks for the comments.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    dee35-

Hang in there! Just think how much MORE you'll appreciate the CL-S when you do get it back! LOL... Yes, use that Zaino and that red beauty will look like it was polyurethaned! ;-))

I now have 7,500+ miles on my car and it's just 5 months old today! I love it! I never drive this much this soon. After this Labor Day weekend trip to Keene, NH, I'll have even MORE miles on it! Yikes! I'm going to have to buy an old shebang to drive for everyday use and keep the mileage down on this leased baby or else buy it at the end of the lease if I go over my limit. Time to get my oil changed and the tires rotated! I'll see if I can do that tomorrow before leaving for NH on Friday.

fastdriver
  • I also am waiting for the 6 speed. I drive manuals all the time. Even for commutes. If the tranmission is well made with smooth shifts and a smooth clutch, its not a chore. Auotmatics are too boring. On the same subject, I don't understand why Acura is recruiting current CL owner's to test drive the new 6 speed at Honda R&D. No offense, but these are the drivers that bought automatics. They should ask manual transmission drivers who would otherwise not purchase a CL.
  • mdanielmdaniel Posts: 47
    But a lot of us would have picked the manual had it been available. I really liked the CL-S, but wan't going to hold my breath for a manual to appear given that they haven't had a manual V6 since 1995. Now I'd love to trade by CL-S for a 6 speed version of the same car, but I don't think I want to take the big loss.
    At my age the CL/S is more of a statement than a car (mid life crisis). Besides I bought her a 2001 Cabrio GLX because she wanted something youthful, so let her enjoy the 4 banger (by the way in a year of ownership of the GLX the top hasn't been down more than 3 X, we live in Southern CA !).
    My wife also wanted a convertible. She test drove the Cabrio, but found it too weak. The CL is actually her car!
    After almost getting a Sebring convertible, but running screaming from the Chrysler dealer due to the horrible sales experience, we ended up at the Acura dealer.
    In retrospect, she's glad she got a coupe instead of a rag top, as "the sun gives her wrinkles". She loves her CL, but I like it too! (as they used to say in those Irish Spring commercials.)
    I have a 5 month old Impala, but am seriously considering getting out of the lease, so I can get a TL-S Navi. That's how much I like the CL. I've even posted the Impala on Swapalease.com. Tick tick tick.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    what made you go for the Impala. I'm not saying it's a bad car, but it's just so different from all the other cars you've mentioned. (In fact, I thought Impalas have been discontinued, or limited to police fleets)
    dee - I am sure that you will enjoy your CL thoroughly after you are done with the break-in period. I was really annoyed when I discovered a recent scratch to my car.... it was deep. Probably due to an object on the road since my tire has a similar mark.

tomsr - you are pretty lucky dude. I wish that I had someone to do a good job repainting some scratches that my car has.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    dee35-

Took a chance and stopped by the dealer today to get the oil changed and the tires rotated. NO problem. Tires switched from front to back- same side and the front ones were balanced. Took no time at all and only cost about $26.00 with the tax! This is the second time that I have been surprised by the prices at this dealer. The first oil/filter change and this one was only $9.99.

My experience with this car FAR exceeds the experience with the one before this. If you clicked on my profile and read about "Christine", then you know what I'm talking about.

I wish you the same luck with you CL-S!

fastdriver
    I originally went to the Chevy dealer after seeing a red Monte Carlo on the freeway. I thought it was striking, so I wanted to take a closer look. After test driving the Monte for a few hours (he gave me the key and said to keep it for the afternoon), I decided the doors were too big.

I then decided to try the Impala LS, because I liked the way it looked, and it had a ton of features for the price. (200HP, leather, moon roof, power everything, auto everything.) It's a very nice car. GM is definitely headed in the right direction.

It wasn't until a few weeks later that we shopped for her car. I had no idea that Acuras were so affordable, and that due to their higher resale value, the lease payments weren't that much more than my Impala.

If we would have gone together to the Acura dealer for both our cars before I got the Impala, we'd both be driving Acuras right now. CL for her. TL-S Navi for me! Luckily, she lets me drive it whenever we go places together. My wife. I think I'll keep her.

As a side note, I must say that the stereo in the CL sounds pretty crappy, especially for a car of this level. The TL is no better, despite the subwoofer.
    you're correct regarding the lack of power in the Cabrio. This car works well for my wife as its just an around town commuter. After driving the CL/S it feels like the Cabrio can barely go up a hill! Just as I took delivery, the TL/S was announced and I started to have 2nd thoughts, but I'm happy with the coupe. I traded in an Infiniti J30 (sedan) for the C/L and the Bose in the C/L can't compare to the sound I got out of the Infiniti.
  • I am a newcomer to this forum. I have a general question for you all. I am about to get my first car, and I am torn between the 96/97 Maxima Se and the 97 2.2 CL. Which one is better? Which one will last longer and with fewer problems? And finally, which one is more fun to drive?
    usaalltheway - I'd say go with the Maxima SE in this case. You'll get more power and it is definitely more fun to drive than the 2.2 CL (which is basically a dressed up Accord). As far as reliability, I'd say Honda still has the advantage over Nissan. We have/had several Maximas in the house so I know how good that car is.
  • har1bushhar1bush Posts: 207
    The price of a CL seems to be one of the best deals in the automotive world these days... I've been following the Camry and '02 Altima boards closely for a while and the $26K that you could spend to get a base CL can't even get you a loaded Camry nor an Altima! People can criticize Acura/Honda all they want, but the best deals on cars that us common folks can afford are coming from Honda and Acura.
  • sqccsqcc Posts: 3
    I've been lurking on this forum (and others) for quite a while now and finally put all the good info I've recieved from you to use. Bought a 2001 CL/S, black/parchment, today. That color combo was not in stock so I don't have the car yet but should in the next 2-3 days. I drove many cars in my quest but thought the CL was the best combination of price/quality/and fun that I found--hope that holds to be true. I really liked the way the Passat drove and almost bought one but after visiting the forum decided the reliability wasn't there. I have a 93 Audi 90 with 103,000 miles on it that still drives better than most of the new cars that I've driven lateley. I look forward to reading more of your posts and writing more of mine and appreciate all the good information all of you have passed on. It helped me tremendously--even if you didn't know it. BTW, if any of you are in the market for a new CL you should be able to buy a 2001 for close to invoice from any dealer out there. There are hardly any standard CL's available though--only Type S's
  • Has anyone test driven both the CL-S and the TL-S? What are the differences (if any) in the handling and steering?
  • jgriffjgriff Posts: 362
    Let me re-introduce myself. I bought a CL-P last June 2000, after a very crappy experience with a new 98 Old Intrigue. Had the Intrigue 18-months w/ 18k miles and the dang had made about 18 shop visits [brakes/rotors, intermediate shafts, and a host of other nagging little things]. The Intrigue was my first re-exposure to American cars after a 15-year absent. That was another hard lesson learned, I plan to stick with Asians brands in future purchases.

After 15-months and 15k miles, I can honestly say that I'm very please with my Silver CL-P. [BTW this is my first Honda product]. My only complaints are, the BOSE is lacking, telescoping steering would be nice, and the paint seems a little thin [thus the reason to Zanio which was done the first weekend, great stuff BTW].

I plan to keep the CL in the family for a while, after a couple of years the wife really, really wants it [yesterday would NOT be too soon]. I want to see what is in happens to the TL & RL models in a couple of years. Thought I would like a MDX [handy on shopping trips & foul weather], but I'm not really a SUV kind of guy. We are now empty-nesters, however 4-doors and a bigger trunk would be handy when it happens to be more than just the two of us, other than that it hold the golf bag just fine.

I would love to see Acura do something along the lines of a Lexus IS300 SportCross, Civic SI, on the TL/CL platform [maybe even with AWD]. I'm talking about something real sporty not your family grocery getter.
    sqcc - I am sure that you will enjoy your CL as most of us here enjoy ours. I guess most people still prefer to buy the premium model as Acura predicted.

joe - I test drove the TL; the Type S was not available then, when I was considering the CL Type S. I thought the handling and performance were similar, but the braking of the premium was not as grippy. Perhaps due to the smaller tires. So I would guess that the TL Type S would have a very familiar feel as the CL Type S. Of course, the CL would probably be a little faster through the curves.

Now I remember why I want to buy a large car like this one. The recent downpour really tested the car. There were many deep pockets of water that I drove through with ease and confidence. This car makes me feel alot safer than a smaller car such as a Civic/RSX.
  • cyber_xcyber_x Posts: 37
    ...what's a CL-Premium? Does that just mean the "regular" (non-Type S) CL?