Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    Only if I change my name to Daniel Day Lewis, :))
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Posts: 419
    http://us.imdb.com/Name?Day-Lewis,+Daniel

but your acting ability would probably still sucks compare to his :D
  • tomsrtomsr Posts: 325
    The bad connection was in the wiring harness
    near the door hinge inside the door.It would have to be an assembly defect that took four years to
    develope.To change the subject I was considering
    trading up but was shocked at the low trade in value.Is there any car that's worth more than half it's price after 4 years?
    Yes, almost any Japanese car.
  • bjrichbjrich Posts: 125
    Our 97 CL2.2 is approaching 60K. We just put new brake pads on all four wheels as they dealer said the rears were more worn than the front. It cost$180.00 for the work. It seems odd that the rear pads were worse off than th front. (opinions?)
    The 60k service. Good deal or too much for very little?
    Advise!
    Thank you, and enjoying the forum.
  • mdanielmdaniel Posts: 47
    The front brakes do most of the work and will wear out first, all thing being equal. But if they put a softer pad on the rear, they will wear out faster. I asked a mechanic about this once and he told me that sometimes the rear rotors are a lot more expensive or labor intensive to replace so the manufacturer uses softer rear pads to keep you from chewing up the rotors and having to replace them.
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Posts: 419
    canadialcl - In your case, beauty is definitely in the eyes of the beer holder (unless you prefer wine :D)

Hmmm.. first generation CLs - I still say that because they are basically dressed up Accord coupes so their resale values are not that great. I could say the same thing about earlier TLs as well....

brake pads - I used to take my car to a trusted mechanic. He'd charge me less than 30 bucks for the work. I just bring in the parts... sometimes I would let him buy the parts at lower charge since he is a mechanic...
    In my case they'll have to drink a large quantity of beer to see the beauty :(
    Has anyone tested to see how much trouble you have to be in for the VSA & TRAC to actually have any noticeable effects? We've had a fair amount of snow here for the last week. When I went into a corner and the car started to plow, I didn't feel the VSA doing anything. I didn't try to get the car sideway so I don't know if that's when it starts to work. And accelerating on snow, the VSA light on the dash would come on, but it seems the tires are still spinning and slipping. Is there a lag time before the effects can be felt?
  • hmmm... VSA light.... I don't think that it would be instantaneous. You do have some spinning, but it should be minimal so that you can have control of the car. I have VSA light came on when I accelerate quickly through wet surfaces or gravel filled surfaces. As for going sideway, I never seen it no matter how hard I turn, but I never done it in the wet stuff either!

I know of one incidence where the bridge was icy and the ABS kicked in when I stepped on the brake. That was cool :)
  • i was headed home on a dark farm road at about 75mph, when a 60+lb dog darted out in front of me. I don't know this for a fact, but I believe the VSA saved me from running off the road as the dog had slid under the car. The car skidded and swerved but fortunately there was no traffic in either direction and i regained control.

Lately, with the tires worn down from 50k+ miles, the VSA light will come on any time i accelerate hard on a wet surface. i see the lights flicker, but I think all it's doing is trying to keep both wheels in the same direction at the same speed (instead of spinning at different speeds due to the difference in grip)

is anyone looking to trade in their CL-S on the 2003 6MT?
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    It won't keep your tires from spinning a bit -- the only thing that would do that would be bulldozer tracks (a small bulldozer, tho) or 4wd. And when you slide, again not just a touch but headed toward losing control, the VSA will kick in. You can try it in a snow packed parking lot this weekend. But really, you shouldn't be watching the dash during such manuvers anyway.

Lots of nice words on the 'Reviews' page about the '03 6M. Looks like fun. Doesn't mention the clutch ... I wish there was such a thing as a variable clutch, one that was light in traffic and heavy for performance.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • I am hoping that Acura will come out with a more powerful engine or AWD model :)
  • SPYDER98SPYDER98 Posts: 239
    dmathew - adults in back? That depends on how far the front seats are positioned. As long as they are not FAT, I think they would fit just fine

You mean horizontally challenged right? :P
  • spyder98 - oh... low blows.... :D

did I said horsepower? I didn't said that I need either... I would prefer one... maybe better fuel economy as well.. how about that?

IN short, an improved version.
    Wow, you have 50,000+ mile on your CL-S already?

And what happened to the dog? I didn't think a 60+ lb dog could fit under the car!
  • only if that dog is a dashhund :D
    According to Honda's specs, the CL has a smaller trunk than either the TL or the Accord. Visually, doesn't it look bigger, especially since the CL from the outside looks like the trunk has that elongated look.
  • Hmm.. it must be due to the wheelbase... I should have waited for the TL type S :)... oh well... next car maybe...
    I think the engine is one of the 2 or 3 best as it is (the others would be the BMW 3.0 6 and the Maxima plant). What I do hope they've done is provide for better feedback in the steering, and stronger braking.

If it's more power you want, according to AutoNews your best bet may be to wait for '05 or '6 when the TL may be released on a small version of the RL frame and with its new V8. That could be fun.

I've never owned a coupe. Do you folk find that you miss the other two doors?

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Only when I have to pick up my kids from school.
  • tomsrtomsr Posts: 325
    My 98 CL has 63K easy miles and is almost perfect
    but the trade in value is only $10k.I need to be convinced to keep my car and not get the CRV I
    crave.I love the sportiness and luxury features of my car but I sometimes need a hatchback.I tried selling it for $13k but no takers.
    and there is nothing else you prefer on the CR-V over your CL, then I would say keep the CL.
  • jwilson - yup, I would want the brakes to be bigger since I think that the brake pedal feels responsive as it is. Hmmm.. I gotta find that news about the next TL. As long as Acura can keep it reasonably priced then I am there!

2 doors? Not a problem, but I have to wonder about that hump in the middle of the legroom for the rear seats. They removed that from the Civic. They should do it for the FWD Accord platforms as well. I guess I would miss the middle seat in the TL sometimes. I like the exclusivity as compared to the TL, but that might means a lower resale value... who knows.

Tomsr - I'd keep the car until it is around 100k miles then sell or trade-in. That would mean another three years or so for you. Maybe there will be a wagon version of the Accord again.
  • danny25danny25 Posts: 119
    I have my first consistant rattle (it's not the sunroof), and I was planning on taking it to the service center soon when I get my oil changed. This is my first Acura so I'm not familiar with their customer service yet. My last vehicle was a Ford, so I'm used to hearing "there's not really anything we can do about that." Will Acura actually fix the rattle and try to make me happy? If anyone has any experience in this area, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.
  • It depends - the rattle probably go away when the weather is warmer. I'd have to know how loud the rattle since some rattles are due more to rubbing of leather with rubber than bad assembly. The rattle is probably on the right side????
    you have a fifty percent chance on that one.

But on a new platform and V8 I'd bet it would be +$8k or even $10k, wouldn't you?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • well, they might use a new platform, but I can't imagine that they will use a V8 for the TL... a small chance for the RL as well.. who knows for sure. Although, I might imagine another model in the line-up that will use the RL platform. Something that will compete against the IS300 or the G35.