Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    Welcome to Edmunds TH, nhl2night... "the rich, they're different than the rest of us, and that's baaaad!"

... why do you want a CL instead of a RSX? I'm curious. Yes, the Pathfinder and the CL are both nice, and refusing either would be, um, not smart.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    The CL has much of the performance and handling of the CL-S, plus 100% of its safety features, without the engine and drivetrain that's likely to get you (a young driver) into serious trouble. Plus, it's cheaper to insure, less conspicuous, and no less sexy to own.

Bottom line, the CL-S is a performance coupe and (taking a wild guess here) you may not be ready for a 260hp FWD car. The pathfinder (IMO) is a pretty boring vehicle. The base CL is a perfect compromise.
    nhl2night, let us know what color that CL-S is gonna be!
  • bc01clsbc01cls Posts: 44
    I don't think anyone including Garypen, really begrudges your new car "gift". However with your spelling being so poor, I have to side with Gary........get a 79 Civic and have your parents spend the rest on a good education for you. Sorry, it's a cheap shot but I couldn't resist. Comparing a Pathfinder with a CL Type S is a silly question. Bread truck vs. luxury performance coupe. What are your automobile needs? That's the approach you should take with your parents. Besides the CL and Type S get better mileage than a Pathfinder.
    Yes, the Town Hall circus is simply a bunch of fools who can't resist taking cheap shots... but this is the wrong place to ask silly questions like Pathfinder vs. CL. Both are very well-built machines, but you should go over to SUV-land if you want to hear someone justify a Pathfinder.

Interestingly enough, my mother was keen on the idea of me driving a Subaru wagon or a Ford Explorer around ... thinking that sedans or coupes aren't "safe" ... I'm not going to diss AWD Subaru wagons here, as they have good driving dynamics compared to a lot of sedans, but in a small coupe, you can avoid the stupid, lumbering Ford Exploders... while the Pathfinder is a well-built machine, it's still a truck.

Safety wasn't a 'big issue' for me. Haven't heard of Acuras engulfing in flames or rolling over the way Fords do... Integra/RSX or CL is plenty safe. In general, cars simply drive better than trucks, meaning that you can avoid problems before they occur on the expressway by using that steering wheel. If you try some stunts with any truck, you're going end up on your back at 80 mph. NOT pleasant.
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    You're right. I would've taken the car in a NY second.
    Ok, which is it? LSD or ATTS?

Driving around in a spiffy new Corvette that wasn't mine, a friend and I decided to stop by and test drive the CL-S 6-speed on a wonderful summer afternoon. Sunshine, some cash in the pocket, and fast cars... felt young again :)

Anyway, the CL-S brochure states pretty explicitely that the CL-S's differential transfers torque to the outer wheel on cornering. It did not say if it is active or not. If active, that's the Prelude's ATTS system, period. If it's passive, i.e. it lets the wheels spin at different rates if they feel like it, thereby resulting in more torque being presented to the outside wheel than the inside wheel, then that's just a differential. However the brochure wasn't clear and the salesmen had no clue either way and seemed happy insisting that it must be "better than whatever was in the Honda because this is an Acura and they're better, you know." Uh, ok salesguy.

That said, this was a great car. I've been starting to think about the second car I'm going to need around September or so, and the TL has been on the list of "cars to look at" for a while. Sans the six speed on the TL-S, though, the new CL-S might have to take its place. I didn't sense a hint of torque steer, and it had effortless power compared to the two Hondas (Prelude, S2000) that I have experience with. It also had what seemed like the same short throw shifter and light clutch pedal of the S2000... almost identical. Very nice. If only the ride height weren't so sedan-like!

I also was impressed by the front seats automatically motoring forward to permit passengers to jump into the rear, and especially impressed by the relatively ample space there. I'm 6'1" and felt pretty comfortable in the back. If it has ATTS... then lower it an inch or two, and that's the Prelude successor right there.
  • 64626462 Posts: 14
    Have you driven a G35 or IS300 yet? What's your opinion on how the CL-S compares to those? I've always been a big CL fan, but I think the G35 Coupe is going to be my top choice once it comes out.
    I've driven the manual IS300 before, the CL-S is flat out better. The interior is consistent, the engine is quite a bit stronger and smoother, and the CL-S is surprisingly roomy. The IS300 would do better if it had the GS's interior, or had enough room to justify four doors, or shipped with a killer sound system, but Lexus really needs to finish the IS. It's half complete, which is good enough to put it near the company of the CL-S, but certainly not above it. The only thing the IS has going for it is slightly better road feedback... but barely. The IS also has that chrome ball shifter that slips in your hands, and that dash chronograph that you can't read...

I've never even sat in an Infiniti so I can't speak on that.

Equal price, I wouldn't know whether to take a BMW 330Ci or the six-speed CL-S. That would be a tough decision. Factor in the price decision and it's a no-brainer.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Posts: 801
    The power step-in feature for the front seats actually is a bit of a pain to use because it goes so slow. And it doesn't work unless the transmission is in Park (for auto version anyway).
    I haven't tried the 6-speed, but IMO, the CL-S has to lose some bulk and weight to be a Prelude replacement. (The G35 coupe actually has the ideal dimensions)
    Just saw the CL ad where the couple is racing up the mountains for a house-showing appointment. The guy is staring over the cliffs, dreaming of driving his CL-S around all the curves again, and says "we'll take it" to the real estate agent.
    Acura has a great ad for this car!

I see plenty of CLs around. No one else makes affordable upmarket personal coupes anymore, so it makes sense for Acura to do so.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    verozahl-

LOL... That's a good one too. My favorite one is where the guy drives from NY- I think- to Maine for LUNCH! The guy in the restaurant asks if he's on vacation. He says no- LUNCH!! That's me! I love to drive this car.

The only thing I don't like about the ads is there is no talking until the END! I have the TV on next to me while I'm on the computer. I always miss their commercials unless I'm looking at the TV! They need to jazz them up a bit to catch your attention at the BEGINNING of the commercial.

fastdriver
    Isn't ther also one where a guy from LA drives to SF for a blind date?

The one I don't care for is the one where they push the sound system. Quite frankly, it isn't a very good sound system. Not terrible. But, not very good.
    have it that Acura will kill the CL after the next TL redesign due to poor sales.
  • Yup. Heard the same thing. Here's the quote from ConsumerGuide review:

"Acura had planned an early sendoff for the 2003 CLs, which are now in showrooms, but the model's long-term future is in some doubt. That's according to one recent Japan-based report saying that Honda is thinking of dropping the CL unless sales improve fairly soon."

Not only that, here's a picture of the 2003 Accord Coupe that will probably have a 6-speed with 240 hp. Picture and info is from Edmunds. Check out the link:

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2003/honda/accord/2drcoupe/photo_1.html

Looks very much like the Acura CL but will probably cost $10,000 less. Bummer!

Thank goodness for the poor sales. It enabled us to get a CL for under invoice.

IMO, I doubt very much the Accord coupe will be $10,000 less than a comparable CL. My CL was $25,595 in April 2001, with about $300 worth of dealer options at no charge. An Accord Coupe EX V6 was $23,000, IIRC. I was comparison shopping the two at the time.

Overall the CL is a much better car, even if they share "platforms". The sound system was better on the Accord though.
    Under invoice?

Gee... I'm looking into the 2nd car thing now and keep wondering about that CL-S 6-speed... I wonder how much it'd go for...
  • I owned a 99 3.0 CL from May of 99 to March of 2001. Besides the rattles in the dash and mis-aligned body parts, it was a good car. I never had difficulty driving it in the rain. I would go up to 70 in torrential downpours here on the SoCal freeways (I know, not very smart). Never gave me any problems. Stuck to the road like glue. Never drove it in the snow though.

My 2002 Maxima feels more drifty in the rain than my CL ever did. That could have to do with the 17 rims and tires, though. Who knows.

Hope I helped!

Obi
  • tjbee1tjbee1 Posts: 2
    thanks for your responses. when i first got my 99 cl, i drove it at 70mph in driving rain, and nearly drove it to heaven; it was all over the place. in dry weather, it grips like glue. also find it noteworthy that cl may be on its way out. one of the reasons i like the car so much it that it is a rare bird at relative low cost. obi, i read a # of your emails--surprised that you hung in this group. thanks again.
    sorry to hear that, obi. Has any doctor been able to help? :)
  • But no! :(

I need more help than you will EVER know!

Obi
    And you just got engaged/married too, didn't you? I hope those mis-aligned body parts didn't ruin the honeymoon :)
  • mdanielmdaniel Posts: 47
    I got a 6 speed with navi for $31,800 including destination, spoiler, splash guards, and wheel locks.
    Congrats! Did you trade in your 2001 CL-S, or did you sell privately?

Just curious, but did you consider waiting for the G35 coupe, and did you cross-shop against cars such as the BMW 330ci?
  • mdanielmdaniel Posts: 47
    bodydouble-

I sold my 2001 CL-S w/navi and 38,000mi for US$22,000 privately. Classified ad in the county newspaper started Saturday, had an offer Sunday, closed the deal Tuesday morning. I didn't really consider the G35. I'm pretty loyal to Honda/Acura and didn't really like the looks of the G35. I didn't consider the 300ci either. For one, US$43-45k for a comparably equipped car would have killed my budget. And since I plan to keep this one a while, I didn't want a car that would kill me on maintenance after the warranty runs out. Besides, this is SoCal and every self-absorbed prick has a BMW. They're a dime a dozed out here. No thanks. I liked my 01 CL-S, just not the auto transmission.
  • badpiece1badpiece1 Posts: 1
    hello everyone, its been about a year since i posted a message. well, i have a 2001 cls i bought in june of 2001. i have about 28000 miles on the car on the streets of new york city. i was having exceleration problems. i took to car into acura. they told me the transmission had to be replaced. the transmission was changed at no expense to me. i find this strange considering the car is fairly new. it took about a week becuse they were having problems with the celanoids communication with then transmission. a day after i picked it up, the engine & vsa lights went on. took it back again and now they are telling me the celanoids arent any good and they had to be replaced again. if that doesnt work, they would have to change the transmission again. this car shouldnt be having these types of problems. i believe the new manual/automatic transmission (honda/acura) has it problems. has anyone here had a similiar problem and if so, what did you do. anyone who is famailiar with the lemon law, any advise would be helpful.
    I don't think you have a case, yet, for lemon law. The problem has been identified and Honda hasn't had enough cracks at it in terms of trying to fix the problem. Tranny replacement like what you've described is not uncommon for CL/TL unfortunately. Go read the TL thread in the Maintenance and Repairs forum about a lady who's having a similarly frustrating problem with the tranny in her TL.

Now, I'm not saying your case might not turn into one that qualifies for lemon law. So, my advice is to start documenting everything. By that I mean get copies of all service orders, write down everything the service reps say, even seemingly off-the-cuff remarks, note all the symptoms of the problem that you've encountered. If this case turns into a lemon case, all that will be invaluable. I went thru an arbitration case and that's what my experience was.
    Go to the NYS website, and search for "lemon law". You'll probably find all sorts of answers there.
    Here in California, the manufacturer has four attempts to fix the problem before you can file. If it's safety related, such as airbags or brakes, I believe it's only one or two attempts.
    We haven't had any problems with our '01 CL, except for the moonroof squeal/rattle.
  • This is just food for thought, I'm not saying it's the cause of your problems ...

It could be that the heat shield for the catalytic converter has broken its welds and is rattling. I think the shield is just tack welded on there.

A mechanic would be able to tell. *shrug*
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get the dealer to look at it the next time I'm in.