Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    The price sounds very good, especially $10K. Check the Edmunds TMV or Kelly Blue Book, and you'll see.

Give it the once over, yourself, to check the physical condition, and get a feel for how the deadbeats took care of it, And, a full inspection by an independant mechanic for around $100. There are even services that come to you or the dealer. I believe one is called "Lemonbusters.com"
  • clvtecclvtec Posts: 1
    I just wanted to say that I love Cl's.
    And acura-cl.com rules!!!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    clvtec-

You're right on both counts! This topic is relatively dead compared to acura-cl.com I think the people here are more "conservative" while the other topic is made up of younger people doing all kinds of mods to their cars and many having all kinds of problems.

fastdriver
    Yeah. The biggest problem they seem to have there is with the shift and puncuation keys on their keyboards, followed closely by a failure of their spell-checkers.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    garypen-

Is their spell checker WORSE than what's here? ;-))

fastdriver
    Oh yeah. Not as bad as the Honda or Integra forums at, let's say, Honda-Acura.net. But, definitely worse than in Town Hall.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Posts: 801
    Yoo meen peeple acchully use tha spill chacher on Admonds?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,468
    I was just browsing the consumer comments here on edmunds and it seems that most owners of the base CL models complain about rattyling sunroofs and sqeaky interior panels and of course transmission problems. Type S model owners love the power and handling. Type S 6 speed owners just flat out rave about the car.

What's everyone's opinion on the new Type S 17" wheels. They're nice, but I really like the old 5 spoke design. Do you think change was made for the sake of change?

I'm not sure if I've asked this already (please forgive me if I have), but are there any former Prelude owners here on the board? How does the CL compare to your Prelude?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• ...but it's done the job so far. The manual transmission is one of Honda's best (and that's saying something). It handles well for a 3446 pound front-driver.

I'm not a big fan of the new 17" wheels - though I feel the same about the previous ones, also. I think that the change was made primarily because the old Type-S wheels (the 5-spoke jobbies) were particularly susceptible to curb rash. Whatever the reason, I hope to eventually relegate mine to winter duty, replacing them with something else for the warm part of the year.

I drove a '97 Prelude (base five-speed) from 3/97 to 2/00. Memory fades, but I recall the Prelude being a much better handler (though I did have the Mugen Sport Suspension on mine). It was very sharp for a front wheel drive car. The CL has the advantage in swankiness, however - and having 232 lb-ft of torque to work with is very nice.

I didn't much like the stock wheels on the Prelude, either.
    Mugen Sport Suspension? That must have set you back a little bit. I know from some of the other Prelude Forums that even a Mugen Exhaust is something like $900 or $1000 dollars. Everyone who has some sort of Mugen accessory on their car says it is well worth the money though.

I guess even stock the prelude would handle better due to its shorter wheelbase, and it weighs 400+ lbs less.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Back in '98, when I got mine (yes, I had the exhaust, too) it was $1300 - direct from King Motorsports. Truly a sweet sounding piece, too - if there is a comparable set available for the CL-S, I mean to have it before the stock exhaust wears out.

The suspension kit was also $1300, and in my mind was worth every penny. "Never go cheap, buy the best" is my motto when it comes to aftermarket parts.
  • I had a 2000 Prelude SH for all of 6 months before I won an arbitration for a buyback due to a continuing problem with the ATTS shutting itself down (ATTS and Check Engine lights kept coming on). Even disregarding the ATTS problem, I must say I was somewhat disappointed with the 'Lude. I found the interior cramped, it was lacking in creature-comfort, had a fair bit of engine and road noise, and perhaps the most disappointing of all given Honda's reputation with manual trannies, was that the shifter was quite notchy. Also, I thought the car begged for a sixth gear. Highway revs were way too high even in 5th gear. On the positive side, I like the tidy exterior dimensions. The styling I thought was very classy and timeless. I also like the way the car would "tuck in" when you mash the throttle in mid-corner (when the ATTS was working).
  • Just found this site and as the owner of a gorgeous San Marino Red 03 6sp with 3100 miles, I am still in motor head heaven. The car is incredibly quick and a beauty to behold.(only 4 coats of Zaino so far) My question regards gas mileage. My gas light comes on at about 235 miles and I am averaging 14-17 mpg in 50% highway, 50% city. I am driving with a pretty heavy foot wherever traffic conditions permit, but jeez with 91 Octane in the Denver area about $1.75/gal this is getting expensive! I see many other gas related threads with averages in the 22-24mpg range, and even quotes of 400 miles+ on a tank of gas. Is anyone else experiencing this situation?
  • I've had my 6-speed for just over 5 months/7600 miles, and I've had much better luck: right around 22 mpg - mostly city driving. I'd suggest easing up on the gas pedal unless you really need it.
    I also have a feeling that you may be seeing poor gas mileage not just due to your driving habits, but also because of the mountainous environment (Denver) in which you live. Since the air is thinner (due to the higher elevation), your car is actually sucking in less air and producing less horsepower and you're giving it more gas to get it to go as fast as you want coupled with the fact you've probably been tooloing around with the AC on (robbing you of an additional 12-16 horsepower).

In areas of higher elevation, forced induction is the way to go. I remember reading in the Saab magazine that I receive that they drag raced a BMW 540i Sport Wagon (4.4L 282hp & 320 lb-ft torque V8) against a Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon (2.3L Turbo 230hp & 252 lb ft torque I-4) at an airbase in Denver. The Saab's lowly 4 cylinder beat out the Big V8 of the BMW.

• Mapman, I did do one whole tankful of gas driving like the proverbial "little old lady" driving 50/50 and mile mileage shot up to 18.9mpg. I never went over 4500rpm for the whole tank. I think ncccarguy is onto something regarding Denver's altitude. My previous MX-6 (2.5L V-6) ran great even at altitudes over 10,000 feet. And, that's without all the sophisticated technology of the 3.2S engine, and only a single exhaust. I will check with my dealer at the 3750 oil change and see what they say. Regarding going easy on the gas, it is (as some one much wiser than me said,) "A small price to pay." The response of this car to driver input is addicting!
  • hello all. i have a 2001 cl with 11,500 miles on it. i bought it new 14 months ago.
    i enjoy this car tremendously. i now consider the car broken in. my last 2 tanks
    of fuel resulted in 29 mpg. i have never gotten below 25 mpg a tank. i drive 80%
    of my miles on the highway and the remainder on city roads. this cl is getting
    better fuel economy than some 4 cylinder cars my friends drive.

zaino: i want my car to look nice and be protected from the elements. if i ordered one
    of every product suggested by the zaino people, i'd be spending roughly $170.00.
    are these products worth their costs?
    From what I've read (and heard), Zaino is well worth the price as long as you're willing to put a lot of time into using the product. Make sure you read the instructions carefully.

Personally I don't have the time to deal with Zaino, so I've been using other products.

I think you only really need 2 or 3 of the products, for about $50 total. If I remember, there's a prep product, a main product, and a "quick-dry" additive for the main product. There might also be a touch up product. I can't remember.
    I've been using Mother's products, but Zaino users sure love their Zaino to the point of fanatacism and, quite often, insanity. It must be pretty good.
  • Hmm, I wonder if it has something to do with inhalation of Zaino vapour? :)
  • guiyguiy Posts: 1
    I am looking to a get a new car asap. I used to have a 1998 Audi 2.8 Quattro. I cannot make a decision if I should get the new Audi 3.0 or the Acura CL type S. What about the 330Ci is that any better than the Type S. Which is better? What should I get? HELLLLPPP!!! I dont want to spend more than 35K.
  • WRX would look silly on anyone over the age of 25 with all that spoiler, scope, spats, oversized fogs, etc.
    Audi is a sedan (and you seem to be interested in a coupe).
    There is a bit of a storm gathering over the automatic transmission issue with certain Honda models, including the CL. But you can get the manual.
    330Ci would be THE CHOICE if you've got the $ and you can live with its less-than-solid reliability.
    While the 330Ci is an awesome car, I'd also advise you to try out the 325Ci. Even though you're talking about a car with major hp deficiet, the way it drives is great, especially with a 5 speed:)

• yugoboyyugoboy Posts: 161
    Thought you cl and tl owner's might be interested in this article!!!! Honda is cranking out some dangerous trannies out there!!!???? http://www.latimes.com/classified/autos/highway1/la-hy-acura11sep11.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dhighway1%2Dmanual
    It ain't just the HP.
  • I don't want to pay $34 more a month for 5 more HP, IRS and a bad manumatic shifter.

Is that enough for you? I don't want leather, so that doesn't count.

Obi
    My tranny's fine. What's wrong with the IRS? I wouldn't have any other interior than leather. For me, the choice between a CL/TL and a Maxima is a no brainer. We chose the CL.

BTW, the lease for a base CL was $289 month for 48 months. How much was your Maxima lease again?
  • When did YOU lease and from who??? $289 is a sweet deal for a base CL, but I wanted a TL-S, so it wouldn't have mattered.

Nothing wrong with IRS, hell, I would like it. Don't like leather, though. And the engine in my Maxima, I tell you, there is nothing sweeter. No rattles, no problems, no worries.

Obi
    CL's are always available for good prices. dealers look to move them just to satisfy Honda, and get a good alotment of TL's, which actually make money for them.
  • I think most of the reported failed trannies are in the Type S cars. Guys are speculating that the lower HP output in the regular TL/CL are probably just under the trannies' stress tolerance threshold. There may be some validity to the theory.

I also wonder if there is a significant difference in the failure rates of US v. Canadian cars? My point being that US cars experience significantly more highway (meaning high-speed)use. Also, distance per trip is significantly longer for US drivers, resulting in higher and more sustained heat buildup in the tranny.