Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    cls6spd-

LOL..... You are 100% right about Motor Trend Car of the Year!! A long time ago, I read in http://www.autoextremist.com that this award is a JOKE! It's just like the Academy Awards, Emmy's etc. Phony and fixed.

I really have not seen a G35 in person or read any reports about them. I did bookmark a G35 topic here, but I have not started to read any of the messages there yet. I still have a way to go on my CL-S lease, so I can't get too excited, but that red beauty in the current issue of MT would look great in my driveway! ;-))))

I have seen a Honda Accord coupe. I like the way it looks. I just love a great looking car, in the right color, that is RELIABLE and never sees a dealer for repairs every month. At least for the first few years when they are treated like a Rolls Royce. I don't care what name is attached to it.

fastdriver

• Fastdriver -
    Thanks for the cool link. I've got it bookmarked.

My wife's cousin is always raving about the great treatment she gets when she takes her J30 (one UGLY automobile) to the Infiniti dealer for repairs (free coffee, loaner car, etc.) We don't have the heart to tell her how much she would be missing if she owned a Honda (my wife drives a '93 Del Sol) or an Acura.

You MUST read the "G35 -Problems and Solutions" postings. The latest is a complaint that he engine runs and sounds like a two-cycle engine.

cls6spd
    cls6spd-

Will read about the G35 soon. Can't believe that an Infiniti can be a piece of crap. I had a J-30 in 94. It was a great car, but a little tight fitting inside. Has a great BOSE stereo- best radio I ever had. Unfortunately, BOSE designs the radios to the car and the manufacturer's specs. The BOSE in my CL-S is NOTHING like the J-30's was. When my lease was up, I was going to get another J-30, but I didn't like the attitude of the dealer. They were like what many people say Acura dealers are like- JERKS!

I was never back to the dealer for ANY repairs. EXACTLY, the way it should be for the first several years.

Today, I did receive my extended warranty for the transmission. Guess my car falls into that category. So far, 20,700+ miles- NO problems yet. By the time my lease is up, the car will still be under the regular warranty- 4 years, 50,000 miles. Time will tell if my tranny will be one to act up.

fastdriver
  • I too find my CL-S varies in its performance. On some days it just doesn't seem quite as eager. I wasn't sure if it was just my imagination. Then also I've always though cars are a bit like women. Some days they just don't seem quite as.....:)
  • During these first 10,500 miles, my CL-S has spent more time in "slug mode" than it has in "full speed ahead mode". I'm almost on empty today, so I'll pick a new filling station and see how things turn out!

The car really hauls a$$ when it works, so I'm really hoping that it is a gasoline issue.
  • Also, do you not find the engine tone somewhat "raspier" than what a supposedly sophisticated hi-tech V6 should be. Maybe that's just a necessary by-product of getting the extra 35 ponies from the regular CL/TL engine. I wonder if the regular engine is smoother than the Type-S motor?
  • I notice that the engine, while still smooth, isn't *as* smooth as when it's working right. When it is running correctly (putting out what seems to be its rated output), the thing is just plain silky. Another difference between "good" & "bad": When bad, it won't reach redline. When good, it just about gets there before I can say "upshift".
  • It just doesn't sound as mechanically harmonious as, say, the Nissan VQ engine. On some days, it also seems louder. Might be just my imagination.
  • I bought My new 2003CL 2 month ago. it only has 1500 miles on it.

It is a very nice, I like it a lot. untill i got a recall letter for replacing the front Camshaft.

They discovered that some 2003 Cl's needs to replace the front Camshaft, they said that at 4000 RPM and above it doesn't produce the HP it is supposed to.

Well I replaced the front Camshaft. And every thing is fine now.

I regret not buying the type S. But i had a great deal on the 2.3CL i payed little less than the invoice.

Did any one receive a letter to replace the front Camshaft??

Any idea how to enhance my HP.

Thank you and it is pleasure to join the group.
  • Well, I've been a bit of a bore around my family always driving like a teenager, having fun in a fast stable car until today! The tranny died so fast I barely limped three blocks to home, had to hand push it into a space in front of the house.
    The dealer said that they are seeing lots of them Mine made it to 49,500, but I was hearing occasional noises when shifting. Never did it when at the dealer. The cl got better mileage than my wife's Golf 1.8 turbo. I have not had a single problem until this and it is fully covered by warranty. I am a bit shocked because I never expected a Honda product to be defective. I feel like asking if they can put in a six speed instead :>) Does anyone know if the six speed is any good?
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    The one I test drove had one of the best shifters I've ever used. Shifter and clutch felt almost identical to the S2000.
  • Hello all!

I did not realise that there was a townhall discussion on the CL. I used to be active when I had my 01 Wrangler. I have had my CL-S for exactly one year now. It has been great and has me served very well. Look forward to talking about this car with you all.

I read some posts about people looking for a body kit for this car. I am active on a board cal acura-cl.com. It is a wealth of information for the ownners of this car. Anyways, they are in the process of getting the Sema Acura-cl body kit to become a reality. Check it out if your interested.
  • I have a CL Type S with the 6 speed, now with almost 3,000 miles on it. The car is nearly perfect in every way except one: it has a tendency to drift to the left. All alignment settings are within spec, although caster is slightly more positive on the driver's side (not out enough for adjustment.) Does anyone else have a similar problem? Any suggestions? Please spare comments about road crown, tire inflation, and torque steer, as it's obviously not due to any of those things. You can email me at joeshed@lycos.com if you like.
  • I must disagree with sphinx on the similarities between the CL-S & S2000 6MT's. The CL-S shifter is every bit as good as the S2000's, with just *slightly* longer throws. The difference is the clutch: the S2000 clutch (at least on my car) was very progressive, with take-up occurring roughly mid-stroke. My CL-S has a very abrupt action, with take-up occurring very quickly - like as soon as you let the pedal up off of the floor. It took some getting used to, but now I like it.

I'm not saying that every CL-S behaves this way, but I have heard others describe their cars in a similar manner.

FYI, I've put nearly 11,000 miles on the CL-S so far, and the clutch action hasn't really changed. I owned my S2000 for a little more than two years and approximately 17,000 miles.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    The clutch engagement wasn't quite as smooth/docile/progressive as the S2000's. I didn't drive enough to get a strong feel either way but I'll definitely take your word for it.
  • The 6 speed clutch does seem unnecessary abrupt. It uses a hydraulic actuator. Is there a cause and effect?
  • i too have noticed that this car likes to drift...any thoughts on why that may be?
  • Mine doesn't drift. But after about 12000 miles, the steering wheel is no longer perfectly centred and I could swear the on-centre feel is not is good as it once was. Steering just seems to be....more loose, for lack of a better description.
  • I don't know if it's getting worse on not, but it is a bit disconcerting at times. It's a bit like a Buick, steering-wise (that is *not* a compliment!)
  • I have a 2001 CL-S. Is anyobdy else having a really hard time finding an air filter for the type S motor? Can't find one in any of the HUGE auto parts store and really don't feel like paying 300% about retail at my rip-off dealer. Does anybody know if there's an internet store or something?
  • So I figure that it must be normal. And yes, "loosey goosey" would be a good way to describe it. It seems to be very vague on-center, and I'm constantly having to make minor course corrections, especially in long sweepers. At first I thought that I was just overly sensitive, having come from a very sharp-steering sports car, but I'm pretty much convinced that it's the car, not me.

How's the weather there in Newfoundland?
  • I have heard a number of complaints about loose steering for the CL. But in the past everyone said it was great as new and then loosened up. Why did you buy with this type of steering? Also what model year is yours?
    The type S has "torque sensitive" steering. I wonder if there is a design defect. This bums me out as I would like to purchase a 6 speed CL.
  • Good question! I was mightily sick of commuting in my S2000, and I didn't really notice the vague steering. Perhaps I was blinded by the [relative] abundance of torque, and coddled by the [again, relatively] cushy interior. Whatever the case, it's not a deal-breaker, IMO - just a bit disappointing.

Mine is a 2003 6-speed.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    I am also interested in the TL for my next new car but I am worried over the transmission issue. I have heard a couple of terrible stories on this forum of the transmission suddenly and abrubtly failing on the highway. How could one drive 70 mph and be worried that all of a sudden the trans could drop into a much lower gear especially how close some trucks drive behind you? Has Acura come out and officially stated that this problem has been corrected in the new TLs. I did read earlier on this forum that new TLs manufactured after May of 2002 have been corrected but I do not think that came from Acura. The car is everything that I want in an entry-level luxury vehicle at a reasonable price but the transmission is a troublesome issue. I wonder if these abrubt failures have been reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
  • I'm looking for a near luxury coupe that won't break the bank (I need to buy a Ducati later this year). Any suggestions/comparisons between the 325 and the CL-S? I want to spend not much more than $35K so I ruled out the 330CI and the G35. Any help would be appreciated.
  • prefabprefab Posts: 7
    hello. last summer i posted a message to the effect that my 2001 cl was a fuel
    efficient automobile. since the winter months rolled in, (i live in albany, ny) my fuel efficiency has dropped significantly to 17-18 mpg. last summer/early fall i was averaging 26-27. i even got 30 mpg on two different tankfuls. i have always pumped premium fuel. my commute has changed somewhat. instead of 336 miles round trip, i now travel 10 miles round trip. 2.5 of the those miles are urban driving, the other 7.5 are highway driving. i use the sequential shift mode to drive my car and am no leadfoot or jack rabbit starter. in other words, conservative and defensive is my driving nature.

my question is: what mpg's are you getting?
    prefab-

I wouldn't worry. The gas companies put in gas additives in the winter which seems to decrease gas mileage.

fastdriver
  • shehzadshehzad Posts: 52
    Hello---I'm thinking about purchasing a cltype s as an everyday commuter car (70 miles round trip). Any thoughts, worries, or problems with the car? I read the last few pages of this board and see that the transmission causes trouble--no problems with the 6 speed though-right? I've also heard from a friend that acura is going to stop production b/c of slow sales---is this true? A colleague drives a four door tl and waxes poetic about it, but I'm on the fence in terms of buying right now, so I'd really appreciate your opinions on the car.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    How about the upcoming TSX. It's smaller, lighter and economical than the CL/TL. Its performance and fun-to-drive index shouldn't be too shabby either. There is a very good chance the CL will be discontinued and the TL is due for a complete makeover. For those reasons I would be hesitant in buying either of those 2 right now.
    But if you don't want a 4-door....well, how about the '03 Accord coupe?
  • shehzadshehzad Posts: 52
    I think the TSX might be a good choice, although the problem is, I need something very soon, as I just totalled my other daily driver. The accord---an emphatic NO! Nice cars but it seems like every Tom Dick and Harry has one---understandably--they're great cars; but at the same time, I've always imagined (emphasis on imagined) myself to be a free spirit that doesn't follow the masses. Any thoughts on the new G35 coupe as a comparison to the typeS---they're certainly sharp looking cars.