Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I also then wonder about the long term viability of the Accord V6 6-speed coupe.
  • Considering there will be a core segment of coupe buyers (empty-nesters, people w/o children, people with children who can afford a 2nd/3rd car, tuners, enthusiasts, etc.), each carmaker needs representation in that segment to be a complete "vehicle provider."

Currently, the segment is big enough to be divided into economy (Civic, Focus, Tiburon, etc.), mainstream (Accord, Solara, Mustang, Monte Carlo, etc.), luxury (G35, CL, 3-series, etc.) and performance/specialty (350Z, S2000, Audi TT, etc.).

Because the carmakers' current mindset is to keep customers "in the fold," by offering step-up and loyalty (CL driver likes coupe so much the MDX is the only option for the family SUV, etc.) purchases, we'll see that:

1) The CL's phase-out weakens Honda's premium brand strategy. It's not remote for the CL to be dropped now (because it's based on the outgoing TL's platform anyway), only to be resurrected after the new TL's introduction, this time based on the new TL's platform.

2) Similar logic applies to the Accord, which is a critical product replacement for the Prelude and a step-up from the Civic coupe. Importantly, it sets up the Accord coupe driver for the Acura coupe.

3) Honda is promoting an appealing line of factory performance upgrades for the Accord.

All of that said, the Accord looks too important to drop from the Honda product group.

Personally, I'd still like to buy CL-like coupe from Acura that's performance and luxury oriented.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    I have a 2002 Acura CL(base) with about 10,500 miles on it. Have done oil changes every 3,000. Thats a shame its going to be gone but what can you do. When I was looking at cars I wanted something that was nice looking no matter if it was a sports car or luxury car. I saw a CL on the road one time and decided to do a little research. Price sounded good to me. Went to a dealership in July 2001. I knew I wanted that car. Went into the dealer again in September 2001: First they wanted 700 under MSRP, than they came back with 1100 under MSRP, than they came back with 1400 under MSRP, finally made a deal with 1700 under MSRP. Have had the car washed every month. I always get compliments on how clean the car is. I think the CL is a better car just go through a busy town. Its ok as a highway criuser but it likes going through a town better. I remember when the 1st generation CL came out and I went on a trip to Virginia: there were alot CL's on the road back in November 96.
    I've always thought the CL's power delivery is not as linear as it should be, especially in throttle on/off situations, like the kind you get purring through city traffic. Mind you, my experience is with the Type-S engine, so perhaps the regular 3.2 is smoother.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    How many CL owners here stepped up to a CL directly from another Honda or Acura product?
    1998 Mazda 626. Lease was up. I wanted something that was a combonation of luxury and sport. CL was definately the way to go. I don't regret buying the car at all. I don't know the CL just likes driving in the town better. Yeah sometimes the car doesn't want to go and sometimes it does. I change the oil every 3,000 so thats not a non-issue. I don't know I drive down the highway everyday and the car doesn't feel as secure as it does on a street. Get right on the street and it acts better. The car has a mind of its own.
    I think someone else posted earlier also about his CL would sometimes not perform as well as other times, with no rhyme or reason.
  • Thank you to all the posters in this group. Sadly, I read the posts regarding the demise of a great automobile...the Acura CL/Sport.

On a positive note...there might be some good deals on new CL/S's.

Thanks everyone!!!
    Actually I've been wondering about that. Would prices go down now that the CL is a lame duck, or would they go up due to the impending lack of supply? When a fundamentally good car goes out of production, I would think the law of supply and demand would drive prices up.
  • Interesting question by bodble2. Here's my 0.2: I too can see prices going up if supply stops and demand for the CL continues and even increases, as in collectibles.

Looking back, demand has however diminished and trend-wise should settle to a trickle, which the grapevine says has convinced Acura to pull the plug. Doing this, Acura can free up valuable production capacity for other models.

Coupled with common knowledge of its transmission woes (common at least to prospective CL buyers), demand for last-batch CLs isn't likely to provoke "memento" prices.

The car business is quite brutal and for all the CL's goodness - the car's new and pre-owned prices will not be favorable to current owners.
    It could be excellent for some potential new owners, however. I got a Prelude SH for $1500 below invoice during its own death throes, with some extras thrown in, and have been thrilled about that even a year later. The CL-S 6-speed strikes me as a similar car for bargain shoppers.
  • absolutely, it could be the deal of a decade, especially if the car will be kept for a long time such that resale value is not an issue.
    I think it could be like the Prelude and have a legacy. I've seen younger car buyers have the body kits on the 1st generation CL.
    Any CL owner hear a "snap crackle" noise from somewhere under the car when idling in gear after the car has been running for awhile (ie. hot engine)? No particular rhythm to the noise. Could it be a noise that the torque converter makes when hot, since you don't hear it when the transmission is in Park or Neutral? Or do I have potential tranny problems?
    The heat shield noise is a popping sound that you hear after the car is turned off. But the noise that I'm getting is when the car is running, but idling in gear (well actually for all I know it may be there when the car is moving but obviously I wouldn't be able to hear it!) It goes away when I put it in Park or Neutral. And it's there only when the engine and/or tranny is hot. It's not really a popping sound, it's more like....well, a snapping, cracking noise. My wife likens it to small firecrackers going off in the distance. It's not super loud but if you're idling in an enclosed area and crack open a window or door then you can definitely hear it. I asked the service tech at the last service and of course they gave me the famous "can't reproduce it" line. My main concern is the tranny but other than the noise there's been no other symptoms than I can discern. I'll have to bring it up with the service guys again next time but I'm just curious if others have heard the same noise.
  • alarmproalarmpro Posts: 27
    I have been thinking about the noises you are describing. Could you be hearing sounds from possibly bad gasoline? Maybe the fuel has a bad additive or possibly water in it! Try using Amoco Hi-test or some fuel with a very high octaine rating, you might also try some "dry-gas" in the tank. Let me know. Lee in Miami
    Check out Edmunds' first drive of the new TSX. I have never read a more glowing First Drive report here on Edmunds. If they build the CL replacement off this car....
    I tried your suggestion of using a high-octane gas (I tried a tank of 94 Octane). The snap crackle sound is still there. I'll have to bring this problem up with the dealer.
    Got a little over 11,000 miles on the car now. Last update was at 10,400 miles I think. Oil Change in 1,000 more miles. Don't want sludge!
  • alarmproalarmpro Posts: 27
    I read your posting, I'm not sure where you are going, but IMHO you should be thinking synthetic oil. No sludge, no gelling, just remarkable performance, clean operation and 1 year or 25000 miles between changes. I have a 01 CL-S w/ 40,000 miles and also an 85 300ZX both use synoil and the results are great. Cooler operation, less metal wear and internal damage. Do some research on this type of oil, you will be surprised. My personal choice is Amsoil brand. go to www.amsoil.com see for yourself, use their special filters too. Good luck, Lee in Miami
    I think were I go for my oil canges they use Quaker State or Valvoline.
    Today in New Jersey we had a 10 minute ice storm where big chunks of ice fell to the ground. The chunks of ice were so big they put dents in the hood, roof and trunk area. Not happy about it.
    Can they get the dents out using that paintless dent removal technique?
  • My wife just received a post card from Acura regarding a Warranty Notification. She has a '01 CL (23K). Any idea what's going on? I've read about Transmissions (on "S" Type) and rotor warp but hers is a base CL.
    What did the notice say? That Acura is extending her warranty on the tranny?
    It looks like I will have an insurance adjuster come and take a look at the car. I will have to rent a car while the car is in a body shop getting fixed. There are some dents on the side of the car too in addition to the roof, trunk, and hood. I had gotten this car washed once every month since I owned it in September 2001. What a waste that looks like now. I'll either rent a Nissan Altima, Mitsubishi Galant, or Toyota Camry while the car is in the shop if they have any of those cars on the rental car lot. No small compacts for me.
  • It's just a post cards with Vin # and Vehicle description. It asks we call an 800 number (Monday thur Friday) for an "Important Vehicle Warranty Information". I'll call it today to see what's up.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,179
    Is this from Honda/Acura? If not, my guess is its a solicitation to buy an extended warranty.

kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• You hit the nail on the head. When I called, it was a for an extended warranty program. The card had a return address of Acura, Warranty Notification, from some place in CA.

Wife's breathing easier now.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    My 2001 CL-S is two years old today! 22,800 miles and not ONE problem so far! Man, this damned perceived Japanese reliability! ONCE, I thought I had a problem, but then it disappeared! :-))

Now I know why this topic is so dead! Nothing to complain about! Either that, or Edmunds drove the CL owners away too like they did the Chrysler 300M group when they mentioned the OTHER car group topics!

fastdriver
This discussion has been closed.