Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• alarmproalarmpro Posts: 27
    My 2001 CL-S bought in March 2000 VIN 2667, was totally trouble free until I noticed a hesitation when shifting from 2 to 3 in auto mode. I took it to Acura and was told I would be getting a new tranny. In reality the old tranny was shifting from 2 to 4 and skipping 3.

I was given a 2002 TL-S loaner and the tranny was replaced in 4 days. That was March 2002. Since then Acura has extended the warrantee on the tranny to 100,000 miles (2 weeks after I purchased the 7yr/100,000 extended warrantee). Since then I have had NO problems what so ever!. I just turned 43,000miles. The original Michelins are still good, but will be replaced soon, as a safety precaution. This car is truly a joy to own and operate, I get 22 to 25 mpg average around town. Think twice before dumping your CL or CLS, its a dangerous world out there.
    HAPPY MOTORING TO ALL, LEE in Miami
  • jgriffjgriff Posts: 362
    alarmpro :: do you think Acura/Honda has really got the tranny problem(s) FULLY resolved?? It sure seem like there some, who have had the problem re-occur. Only time will tell.

And you're right, one does NOT want to trade one set of problems for another. I got 4-years left on the tran warranty, but 1 year left on the standard. And it is looking like brakes are going to be an on-going issue.
  • samangsamang Posts: 43
    My thought are, if tranny dies again before 100k mi, i get a new one yet again. If it dies after 100k mi, I will have to fuss a lot to get it fixed for free. Most likely they will pay a part, I will have some out of pocket. It's an ongoing problem, I beleive you will get taken care of.

I can't afford to cut my losses, need the car to run another 5 years to pay off other car before I can sell.
  • Now you all know why I bought a first generation 1999 2.3 CL with five speed manual.
    I knew the new model was not going to offer a manual trans, and that's what I wanted.
    The first gen (97-99) models also had auto trans issues. The Odyssey (not so) mini van also has had trans issues.
    I looked at the then new Solara back in summer of 99, and discounted it because of the sloppy manual shift linkage.
    What I learned was: If you want an automatic trans, buy a Toyota, if you want a manual, buy a Honda/Acura.
    Our CL has been trouble free, except that the radio tuning button on the steering wheel does not work when the wheel is straight. I have to turn the wheel to get it to work. Didn't get it into dealer before the warranty expired.
  • jgriffjgriff Posts: 362
    Well I've looked [not tested] at the new TSX, it looks nice but a tad small inside. However I did test drove a Mazda-6 w/ the sport package & just the 5sp/4 banger.

I came away very, very impress. For $20.8 vs. $26-27 for the TSX, Mazda has made a huge turn-around. Plus Mazda warranty is 4/50k, and now includes loaner cars. Not over crazy about the center console, but could live with it.

Anyway it has got me thinking. Is this a big step down ??
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    If you by a 6 or TSX you'll probably take a hit on re-sale on the CL. If I were in the market right now I would probably be thinking VW Passat or Mazda 6. The Mazda 6 is proably heavily discounted because they are not selling as well as Mazda thought. The TSX for not having a V6 is not a good value to me but you are the one buying.

Anyway I have like 12,400 on my 02 CL(I have the Base not the Type-S) so I hope I don't encounter any trans problems. Car has been solid and reliable. I don't plan on dumping my CL like everybody else here is. I am extremely happy with it. I just got an oil change done too. I have to take the car in too repair hail damage in July. I am not looking too foward to be renting a car.
  • samangsamang Posts: 43
    I have to admit.
    Despite the tranny problems and lossing the car for 9 days, I still love my CL. Except for a few door dings, it still looks new in the parking lot and in my garage, even next to a new silver rx330.
    I don;t know about ya'll, but I am keeping my CL!
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I testdrove the TSX. I would caution anyone who's been used to the low-end torque of a V6, especially one with the power of the CL, to really think about it before buying the TSX. Around town I found the TSX to be sluggish. The 6-speed is a bit better, but not much, IMO. Plus, trading down is generally something I would not recommend, unless dictated by finances. I've come to really fancy the memory seats, reverse-tilt mirror, auto-dimming mirror, etc.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    Heck of a curtain call:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=26&article- - _id=6705

I guess there are two ways to look at it. On the one hand it's the most powerful FWD you can get. On the other hand, it's the slowest 370hp coupe ever. Hmm.
    that if I were to unload my CL in favour of a sedan, rather than go with the TSX, I would hold out for the new TL.
  • joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Posts: 152
    The automatic transmission problems are a real surprize and real black mark for honda... Fortunately I've never bought an automatic car in my life... I have a 6 speed...
  • alkanxalkanx Posts: 69
    I am not sure what to make out of this auto-trany situation since I own a 6 sp manual CLS. I wonder if Honda out-sourced trany work, normally the manufacturers do this to save cost, they give contracts to the lowest bidder & consumer ends up paying for the downstream problems.....

AL.
    I don't think Honda out-source the entire tranny. They buy components from suppliers but the design and manufacturing is all theirs.
    I have a 6 speed also and am not concerned. However this is hard to believe that this happened to a honda/acura. From what I can tell it mostly happens to people who drive their cars a bit hard. That is not an excuse, the tranny should be able to deal with the 260 HP, if that is what is in the car.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    The SS transmission actually debuted way back in 1997 with the redesigned Prelude, and those of us in Prelude circles know well that the transmissions started showing a tendency to fall apart almost immediately. I remember posts on Prelude boards from several years ago (like 2000) of people asking whether the all-new CL (which apparently had the same transmission) might end up susceptible to the same problems since apparently the SS was having trouble handling Prelude's by-comparison measily 195hp and 153 ft-lbs.

Honda definitely deserves a black eye for this. Prelude owners struggled with this for a long time, getting accused of brake torquing and paying for replacement trannys until the much higher profile, mainstream CL and other owners started to experience the same things.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    Waht is a good price for a 6-speed with Nav ? Is it below invoice yet?
    I purchased a new 6 speed w/o nav for $1,000 below invoice in march. You may have missed the boat though as 6 speeds are becoming rare (and maybe more expensive?). There is (and has been for sometime) a $1,000 Acura to dealer incentive right now.. My dealer gave it all to me.
  • Hi all,

It's been awhile since I posted (under dee35), so thought I would check in.

Well, my bright red CL-S will hit 26,000 miles soon. Other than a few minor paint chips and scratches, I have had zero problems with this car. It rides like a dream and has tons of guts even on regular gas! I Zaino'd it about 18 months ago and it is still absolutely gorgeous!

I hit a 3 inch deep pothole this winter and my low profile tire blew out, but I'm told that's very common with this type of tire.

I'm sure it's time for new brake pads as I have a consistent shudder at moderate braking. I don't think that's too bad for the mileage, though.

I love this car!

Unfortunately it's time to let it go. My husband was promoted and his company minivan became an Intrepid. We don't need two cars. We really need an SUV, so I'm moving on to an MDX. That's the only way I will let my CL go. None of the other SUV's can compare. Once you drive an Acura you're spoiled for life!

I'd love to sell it direct vs trade, so if anyone's interested.....I'm in the Akron, Ohio area.

The dealer told me that the CL is being discontinued next year. That's too bad. I guess people prefer the 4 door TL-S for practicality.

Bye guys!

Dee
    Didn't you have an unfortunate accident with your CL-S shortly after you bought it?

Did you also drive the RX330? IMO, it is a better buy than the MDX UNLESS you need the 3rd row seats.
  • bhambobbhambob Posts: 6
    I am interested in a CL, they have great financing and pricing. Is it worth the bump in price from a CL to a CL Type-S? On the Type-S is the 6M reliable? Any known trouble spots? Is the Navi worth getting? I live in Birmingham AL and travel quite a bit, but normally to familiar places. Thanks.
  • Wow!

You have a great memory! Yes, 5 days after I bought the car some guy in a mountaineer decided to reach down to pick up a piece of paper while driving down an off-ramp. He hit the back of my car, putting a nice dent in my trunk. You'd never know, though. The body shop did a great job!

I just got a trade in quote of 18,500 toward the MDX(which I got at 2650.00 under MSRP). That's a great deal considering you can't touch these SUV's for below sticker in some areas.

I did look at the Lexus on Edmunds but the option grouping is really confusing. By the time I added the same options on that I had in the MDX, I was well over MSRP. That's one of the things I think is so great about Acura. They include everything you could possibly want for one price. It's a better value and more horsepower.

Well, I'll be signing off now and hanging out at the MDX site. Have fun in your CL's! If "fastdriver" is still around, say hey for me!

Dee
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    HI!!!!

Of course I'm still here! You have my twin!! Just gave it some Zaino this past weekend! Looks GREAT!! Sorry you're getting rid of yours.

Still have a little over a year to go on my lease. Not sure what I'll get next since Honda is ditching the 2-door CL. I love the Infiniti 2-door, but I have THOUSANDS of $$$$ on my GM MasterCard! Maybe a Caddy CTS?? I like the looks of those too.

Plenty of time to think about that.

Hope all is well.

fastdriver
    So far I have 12,800 miles on this car. I noticed a noise(maybe its coming from one of the vents maybe.) When I have the radio on I don't notice it. When I turn the radio volume down or off I do notice it. Its almost like a light machine gun noise. Other then that no problems.

Still got to got to get the dings out of the car from a few months ago.
    When I idle mine in gear (it might be there all the time, but I can only listen for it when it is idling), there is a fire cracker-like noise. I took it in a couple of days ago and they said it has to do with one of the drive belts. They had to order a pulley and I'll have to go in next week to have it installed. We'll see if that solves the problem.
    Yeah thats it. I might have to take the car to the dealer and get checked. I didn't think it was the serious. On my last car I had the A/C on and all of a sudden water started shooting down onto the front passaenger side floor. That was a 5 minute fix. My Dad said said something was loose that was making the water leak out. I guess all cars have their problems.
    Ask them to check the drive belts. Have them pop the hood and do a listen while you idle the car. On mine the noise was more noticeable when it idles in gear.
    and the hood was open. There was no fire cracker noise. I'm going to see this week what happens. Thats weird that one day it just does not have the fire cracking noise.
  • rmd12345rmd12345 Posts: 3
    What have others done as far as loaner vehicles when you take your CL-S in for warranty transmission repair work? I've noticed delayed upshift and downshift gear engagement and some slippage. Its not really bad now, but annoying and I'm afraid it may get worse.
    Have the dealers supplied a free loaner car for you?
    I was riding with my Dad on Saturday night. I see a dealer that sells Honda and Mazda(Open Road Honda/Mazda on Rt 1 in Edison, NJ) and I see 2 or 3 01-02 CL's sitting on that dealer lot. 01-02 CL owners already rushing out to buy the 03 Accord Coupe or even possibly Mazda 6?