Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I'm not sure if my problem is the same as yours, but for whatever it's worth, it seems the noise is much more audible when the engine is running hot and when the car is idling in gear. I dropped my car off today to have a tensioner replaced but the service rep admitted they're not 100% sure that is the problem. They suspect it may be, and if nothing else, replacing it would eliminate it as a suspect.
  • jgriffjgriff Posts: 362
    carguy58 :: in case you missed it in the Mazda 6 thread, yes I ditched my 3year old '01 CL w/ 36k miles.

One transmission problem was one too many for me, major car "problems" make me nervous [even with Acura 7/100k on the tranny]. Plus appears that the problem is bound to resurface, so I cut my losses.

Learned that even Hondas/Acuras are NOT bulletproof, contrary to popular belief.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    You had a 01 CL Type S didn't you? I have had my base CL since Sept 01 and no problems except for that noise I hear now. I didn't hear it tonight though. Maybe its just the noise from the vent because the A/C is on and something I didn't pay attention to last summer. I do understand why you traded your CL in. No cars are bulletproof. A car is man made any car by any make can have problems. You know I like Mazda 6 though. I don't plan on buying 1 though.
    Nope, I had the lonely CL-P, and I was kind of hoping the tranny problem(s) were isolated to the more powerful "S" [wrong, not so].
    I posted this over at the Zaino thread. I remember you getting your CL about the same time as I. You coming from a bad 300M experience, me a bad Olds Intrigue. Your comments & PIXs back then [3 years], were the main reason I switched to the Z stuff.

I notice you just experienced the CL tranny glitch, [I was notified via e-mail]. I also got nailed @36k, but had a pretty good experience on the repair side.

To me Acura simply tone down the AT, via ECU, and it really never had the same get up and go. Kind of masking the problem rather then fully addressing it.

I was just wondering if you plan on keeping your CL long term. I decided to ditch mine while the value of the car was still good [last year & new ones are heavily discounted], plus I feel the problem will re-occur as it has for others.
  • samangsamang Posts: 43
    Mine's a CL-P also, got nailed at 63k mi, last month. Everything is fixed, it does drive a little different, I actually like it. Still has power, just milder shifts.

rmd12345, my dealer has a small fleet of loaners, so ended up with an Enterprise. Acura pays $30+tax.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 854
    .....on CarsDirect at my zip is $500 under dealer invoice. Using another 10 per cent for state tax/license/doc fee gives under 31k out the door.
    That is something to think about..........ez
  • alkanxalkanx Posts: 69
    Hi, anyone using mobil 1 filter for their CLS.....
  • napaneenapanee Posts: 12
    I'm on the verge of a new car and the Acrura is hight on the list.

C$ 23000 seems quite a lot for a gussied up Civic. Has anyone any experiece with or views on this car?
    I would look up the dealer's invoice & go from there -- for a new one....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,936
    Subtract $1000 from invoice...dealer incentive on 2003 cl's

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

A Civic LX auto is about $21000 CAD. The most significant upgrades the EL offers, IMO, would be the 127HP engine, side airbags and alloys. So it's debatable whether the extra $$ is justified unless avoiding the stigma of the Civic's econocar image is important.
    First and foremeost the Acura 1.7 is a lot quieter. Then you add the alloys Si engine and side air bags. Still the question remains--is it a good buy. It does have the reputation for being stolen frequently
    Compared side-by-side, the EL looks decidedly more upscale. If that is important, then the EL would be a good buy. But for some, that may not matter. Both are economy cars at their basic roots, and some may not feel it is worth the $$ to cloak it with luxury trimming.
    Thanks for your responses. I think the quiet ride makes the extra $2-3000 worthwhile along with the upscale appointments. To bad the car is not available in the US I expect there would be many more opinions offered. Hard to beat a luxury Civic although I understand the marketing mavins decided it wouldn't sell in the US.
  • twhantwhan Posts: 45
    I am looking at a 1997 Acura CL with 95000 miles. The owner is asking for $8900. She has been taking of the car(as she said) and have just done the 90000 service includes timing belts. What do you guys think of the car and price? How many miles will it last? Any thoughts?
    my 02 CL(Base) will be going into the repair shop on Monday to get the dings out of the car from the hail storm that happened a few months ago. In the meantime I wil be renting a compact car.
  • I have had my CL-S for more than 3 years and have put more than 54000 miles on it. I have had no work done on it other than regular service. It still goes fast and looks like new.It's too bad they are going to stop making them.
    Well I drove the 2003 EL and the 2002 EL and decided to buy the 2002. I loose the completely auto a/c, the compartment under the armrest and the light sensitive dashboard but I saved about
    C$4500 and still have 2 years bumper to bumper and 4 additional years on much of the rest. Also its much quiter than the top of the line Civic and the Corolla. Not too bad.
  • jay238jay238 Posts: 13
    got a black on black 2001 CL-S with 66,000 miles and no problems...only scheduled maintenance. too bad it's being discontinued.......at least this car won't flood the roads like camrys, accords, bmw 3-series, etc!!!!
    The auto A/C is not that great anyway. In fact, I think the auto A/C on any Honda/Acura is not completely auto.
    Yeah, the auto AC mode is such that if we ever need to manually turn ON the fan from completely OFF position, we need to run the AC (turn on the compressor), then turn it off. Not very thought-out....I think.

AL.
    the A/C just seems to be either on or off. I don't really notice it "maintaining" the temperature that you have dialled in. Maybe I'm just expecting a level of sophistication that's not available.
    it looks like I am going to get my CL back on Tuesday. I'm driving a rental now. Its not comfortable when your sitting in the seat of the rental. I can't wait to get my car back.
    I bought a temperature gage, it has a probe built into it, I placed it inside the duct vanes, mine drops down to 42 deg F. When I keep the temp setting around 70, I have seen the gage going up & down many times...indication that AUTO mode does work....
  • Is Acura going to continue the $1000 dealer cash incentive on the CL in August?
    I just got my CL back yesterday. The dings are out of it. Nice new paint job. I was supposed to get it back a few days ago but that didn't happen. I'm trying get to get used to driving the CL again.
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Posts: 218
    Hi Folks, I was just reading the September issue of Car & Driver...a review on the 2003 Accord Coupe EX V6 with a 6 speed. Something funny stuck out in the text, which is news to me. It reads:

"It would be lovely if Honda also offered the CL's limited-slip differential for the EX two-door. After all, the CL won't be needing it anymore, having joined the ranks of the dearly departed"

Huh? Has Acura decided to stop selling the CL? This is news to me! ???

Thanks!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    jkidd2-

Yep! A day late and a dollar short. It was announced sometime ago that the CL was going. Too bad, because I like 2-door cars. Guess the 2-door Accord is a better seller?

fastdriver

PS I just read that article too a few minutes ago.
This discussion has been closed.