Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• Here in Southern CA, if you are going less than 90mph, you better get out of the fast lane!!!

Obi
  • bodydoublebodydouble Posts: 801
    Must be alot of donut shops on those routes!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    bodydouble-

Nope! They're both interstate highways. NO donut shops, not even Krispy Creme!

fastdriver
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    I've seen 'em on both I-95 and I-91. Connecticut is infamous for going after speeders. Ask any trucker or concert bus driver.
    garypen-

Well, truck drivers and concert bus drivers need to be curtailed a little. They're another breed altogether. Talk about tailgaters! Guess I've just been lucky then if there's that many out there. They're doing a good job of hiding.

fastdriver
  • I bought my Acura back in Dec 2000, and have 21K miles as of today

(note about noise in sunroof, try getting a conditioner for rubber, I used that one from Prolong Oil and it goes away, Armor all SUCKS don't even bothers, you need one that feels like conditioner for your hair)

I had to replace the transmission at about 10K miles. The new transmission does not shift smooth like the original did

My memory feature has never worked on the mirrors, it would put the mirror to a totally different position or just not move them at all. I never noticed till my mother needed to borry the car. I took it in, had her pick it up, and they go and tell me that I don't know what I am talking about. << I am pissed, going back this monday.

Now the button to turn the tilt off when putting the car in reverse doesn't work at all

Car had a ruff idol, seems to shake alot when in park and even when the car has already been driven

CD Player is already starting to get stuck with CDs and I don't even use it that much.

Navigation Systems has froze on me like your PC would but took like a day or two to work again, Iwould just get a blank screen.

MY biggest complaint is that before I even hit a 1000 mile I had to replace 3 tires, and I think they were not made to standard because I put 3 of the same tires back on (deal would not replace them) and they have held up to now. Also 2 rims got messed up because of the tires not taking the shock.

As far as everything else the car seems fine, I do smoke alot of cars, even 8 cyl cars.
    I can keep up with the Mustang GT for the most part and still keep ahead of these new model cars that the other dealers are coming out with to over do what Acura Did on the CL-S
    anthony813 -

Sounds like you should have made use of your state's lemon law. Also sounds like you caught a bad one. Happens to all car makers, so I've been told many times!

Maybe if you didn't smoke them so much, things would run a little better.

Hope things improve for you.

fastdriver
    Smoking is bad for your car's health.
  • vaforniavafornia Posts: 11
    There is a used 1999 Acura 2.3Cl that has 69K on it around my area that I am looking to buy but the vehicle is a bank repo. The vehicle come with one original key no valet key and the owner manual is also missing. The bank said that the original owner hasn't pay payment on the vehicle in the past 3 months. The bank is asking for $10-11K. Does the price sound reasonable for this vehicle? Does anyone know of any major problems that I should look for when inspecting this vehicle during the test drive? If I was to buy this vehicle, where can I go to replace the key system, and owner manual?

Thanks you,
    Vafornia
    People who can't afford their car payments probably wouldn't have taken good care of their cars either. Maybe an over-generalization, but better safe than sorry.
    The price sounds very good, especially $10K. Check the Edmunds TMV or Kelly Blue Book, and you'll see.

Give it the once over, yourself, to check the physical condition, and get a feel for how the deadbeats took care of it, And, a full inspection by an independant mechanic for around $100. There are even services that come to you or the dealer. I believe one is called "Lemonbusters.com"
  • clvtecclvtec Posts: 1
    I just wanted to say that I love Cl's.
    And acura-cl.com rules!!!
    clvtec-

You're right on both counts! This topic is relatively dead compared to acura-cl.com I think the people here are more "conservative" while the other topic is made up of younger people doing all kinds of mods to their cars and many having all kinds of problems.

fastdriver
    Yeah. The biggest problem they seem to have there is with the shift and puncuation keys on their keyboards, followed closely by a failure of their spell-checkers.
    garypen-

Is their spell checker WORSE than what's here? ;-))

fastdriver
    Oh yeah. Not as bad as the Honda or Integra forums at, let's say, Honda-Acura.net. But, definitely worse than in Town Hall.
    Yoo meen peeple acchully use tha spill chacher on Admonds?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,420
    I was just browsing the consumer comments here on edmunds and it seems that most owners of the base CL models complain about rattyling sunroofs and sqeaky interior panels and of course transmission problems. Type S model owners love the power and handling. Type S 6 speed owners just flat out rave about the car.

What's everyone's opinion on the new Type S 17" wheels. They're nice, but I really like the old 5 spoke design. Do you think change was made for the sake of change?

I'm not sure if I've asked this already (please forgive me if I have), but are there any former Prelude owners here on the board? How does the CL compare to your Prelude?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• ...but it's done the job so far. The manual transmission is one of Honda's best (and that's saying something). It handles well for a 3446 pound front-driver.

I'm not a big fan of the new 17" wheels - though I feel the same about the previous ones, also. I think that the change was made primarily because the old Type-S wheels (the 5-spoke jobbies) were particularly susceptible to curb rash. Whatever the reason, I hope to eventually relegate mine to winter duty, replacing them with something else for the warm part of the year.

I drove a '97 Prelude (base five-speed) from 3/97 to 2/00. Memory fades, but I recall the Prelude being a much better handler (though I did have the Mugen Sport Suspension on mine). It was very sharp for a front wheel drive car. The CL has the advantage in swankiness, however - and having 232 lb-ft of torque to work with is very nice.

I didn't much like the stock wheels on the Prelude, either.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,420
    Mugen Sport Suspension? That must have set you back a little bit. I know from some of the other Prelude Forums that even a Mugen Exhaust is something like $900 or $1000 dollars. Everyone who has some sort of Mugen accessory on their car says it is well worth the money though.

I guess even stock the prelude would handle better due to its shorter wheelbase, and it weighs 400+ lbs less.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation