Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    I think were I go for my oil canges they use Quaker State or Valvoline.
    Today in New Jersey we had a 10 minute ice storm where big chunks of ice fell to the ground. The chunks of ice were so big they put dents in the hood, roof and trunk area. Not happy about it.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Can they get the dents out using that paintless dent removal technique?
  • My wife just received a post card from Acura regarding a Warranty Notification. She has a '01 CL (23K). Any idea what's going on? I've read about Transmissions (on "S" Type) and rotor warp but hers is a base CL.
    What did the notice say? That Acura is extending her warranty on the tranny?
    It looks like I will have an insurance adjuster come and take a look at the car. I will have to rent a car while the car is in a body shop getting fixed. There are some dents on the side of the car too in addition to the roof, trunk, and hood. I had gotten this car washed once every month since I owned it in September 2001. What a waste that looks like now. I'll either rent a Nissan Altima, Mitsubishi Galant, or Toyota Camry while the car is in the shop if they have any of those cars on the rental car lot. No small compacts for me.
  • It's just a post cards with Vin # and Vehicle description. It asks we call an 800 number (Monday thur Friday) for an "Important Vehicle Warranty Information". I'll call it today to see what's up.
  • kyfdx%40Edmundskyfdx%40Edmunds Posts: 25,876
    Is this from Honda/Acura? If not, my guess is its a solicitation to buy an extended warranty.

kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• You hit the nail on the head. When I called, it was a for an extended warranty program. The card had a return address of Acura, Warranty Notification, from some place in CA.

Wife's breathing easier now.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    My 2001 CL-S is two years old today! 22,800 miles and not ONE problem so far! Man, this damned perceived Japanese reliability! ONCE, I thought I had a problem, but then it disappeared! :-))

Now I know why this topic is so dead! Nothing to complain about! Either that, or Edmunds drove the CL owners away too like they did the Chrysler 300M group when they mentioned the OTHER car group topics!

fastdriver
    It looks like I'll take the CL to a bodyshop tommorow and have them take a look at it. Pay the 500 dollar deductabile. I hope I never see another ice storm like that again. It beats the living crap out of your car. I guess stuff like this happens though.
  • rick27513rick27513 Posts: 29
    Just an FYI tip for '01 CL owners. I noticed the power window did not operate smoothly, sometimes the window appeared to "bounce" a bit as it moved, ONLY when going down. It has done this since new. Acura replaced the power-window drive assembly in the door last week. There is a BIG difference in the smoothness of operation... and I expect it will be more reliable after warranty expires.

You might want to take notice of how yours works with a critical eye, and ask your service department if there is an improved part.
    I don't know if it's just me and my imagination, but it seems the longer I own the CL-S, the more I dislike it's steering feel. I didn't notice it when the car was new (maybe because I was too in awe of the power) but I increasingly find the the steering kind of inprecise and lacking in road feel. I know there is no alignment problem because the car tracks straight and true. But the steering seems to lack a good on-centre feel (almost a loosey goosey feeling), plus it seems to need constant small corrections --- very tiring over an extended driving time. My wife's '02 Accord V6 even feels better, IMO.
  • Gordon, I've noticed the same thing in my CL-S. Very vague feel, especially at speeds under 50mph. It seems to get a little better above that point. If it weren't for the manual transmission, I'd be seriously bored with this car by now - it's just too isolated from the road for me.

Mike
    Mike, you took the words right out of my mouth. I mean you can only play with the throttle for so long. The aforementioned numb steering and the heft of the car makes it a bit of a chore when you want to toss it around a bit. Maybe Acura should make a coupe version of the TSX and stick the Type-S motor in it.
  • I don't know about that. Is there a coupe version of the Euro-Accord to base it off of? I think that the combination of a V6 and FWD just isn't the best way to go. Too danged nose-heavy!

In any case, I'm becoming ever more conscious of how heavy all cars have become lately. I've been toying with the idea of trading the CL-S in on a Civic Si, which weighs in at a pretty hefty 2744 lbs. It seems that in order to get a light, tossable car, you've got to give up every vestige of practicality, unless you're willing to settle for a Metro.
    I remember my first car, a '75 Civic hatchback, weighed only about 1500 lbs. Once I hit a dog. It got knocked down, but got back back up and ran away. If I hit a dog now with my CL-S.....
    I feel that kind of too(a little loose feel to it) but things still nice to drive. Oh yeah I got my estimate for my repair with dents on my CL. It came to a total of 4800 dollars. I'll just have to pay the 500 dollar deductable though. Its going to need a new hood and decklid. On the plus side, the engine feels alot better now. It feels faster when you press the gas now.
    Wow, I might just have to go out and put some dents in my car! :)