Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• jgriffjgriff Posts: 362
    bodble2 :: Oh I like what I've seen & heard about the TL so far, as I did when the CL hit the market. And the new TSX looks good too. I'm just not one to take another chance & get burned if Acura does not get it right again. The CL was their first crack (in the USA) at a 5-speed AT. Not sure if they could get a TL/awd right or not.

Sure seems like they have been doing their level best to supress/hide any & all bad press regarding the transmissions/rotors. Just not sure whether to simply take it as a little bad luck or what. Sure gives me a sour taste in my mouth.

I can accept a few "one-time" small problems, but the re-occuring, or the major ones!!! Maybe everyones trannies are not as solid as they use to be, I don't know.
  • rmd12345rmd12345 Posts: 3
    I also just started to notice some slipping from gear to gear on my 2002 CL Type S at 40,000 miles.
    I see that Acura extended the warranty to 70,000 miles on transmissions for this model, most likely because of this.
    The problem seems to be that it stays in gear too long and then jumps up or downshifts to the next gear.
    I'm starting to think about trading it in now since I'm having too many odd problems like this with this car. I bought it thinking that Acura and Honda would be virtually trouble free.
    Problem is that its depreciation rate isn't all that good either.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    since you own both the CL-S and RX. Do you suffer from (power) withdrawal symptoms when you go from the CL-S to RX?
  • samangsamang Posts: 43
    bodble2, I actually dont have a type-S, spent the $2k on the nav instead. But, I personnaly did not think the type S was that much different to drive (I think due to the extra weight). With that said, I think the RX330 is an extremely fast car/wagon for it's size. Plenty of power, so, in short, no. I have not had power withdrawals... :)

I think it's the way it is geared (transmittion wise), but the RX is a little shift happy, as in it likes to stay in high gears. Otherwise, I enjoy both cars.
    Got my car back yesterday. So glad to dump the Jeep Liberty from Enterprise. But then Acura paid for the rental so I should not complain. CL was in the shop for 9 days.

They changed the tranny and ECU, I beleive this is the chip that controls shifting. Tech told me that early replacements were tranny only, but Acura found out the chip is the culprit for the problems. Supposedly the chip is allowing the tranny to shift too hard. Which I agree, I always thought the original tranny was extremely fun to drive with. Tech said that they are re-calling the early replacements to come in for a new ECU also.

With the new tranny, it is a remanufactured unit. Supposedly, case is old, but insides are new. It drives a little differently. Shifting is smoother, more german car like. Doesn't mean it's slower, just not as aggresive. And I think it tends to stay in the taller gears a little longer. But I think using SS can fix that problem. That's all folks.
  • mapman1138mapman1138 Posts: 68
    Color me impatient.

The wheels have been put into motion... it looks like I'll be trading the 6MT in sometime in late July. The car has been supremely reliable, and works as advertised, but in the course of 14 months and 16,000-odd miles, I just haven't "bonded" with it.

If anyone is looking for a pristine, well cared for Aegean Blue (Non-Navi), at about that time, let me know! Bone stock except for a Momo short anatomic shift knob & matching shift boot, both in black leather.
    Try Vandergriff Acura in Arlington TX, or MacChurchil in Ft Worth.

I know Vandergriff discounted mine and i bought it 3 weeks after intro of the 3.2 cl. Others still think they can get MSRP+markup on a CL that's already discontinued.
    At first they said they had ascertained that the problem was due to some defect with the 3rd gear clutch pack or something like that, and that it was a problem with the supplier. Now they are saying it's the ECU?! Why don't they recall all the cars to replace the ECU then? I hope this isn't the Honda spin doctors at work.
    I gotta hand it to Acura & my service dept., my trans died on Thu. eve. 5/22, they ordered the parts on Fri. Mon. was Memorial Day, & my car was ready Wed. eve. Turn around was 3-business days.

samang :: I also notice that my CL is not as snappy as it once was. But the question is, is the problem truely fixed or is it prone to happen again ??

I'm trying to decide, whether to keep it or cut my loses and move on.

Can anyone advise ??
  • alkanxalkanx Posts: 69
    Just a word of caution, I was sold a CL-S that had hail damage, Texas is known for hail damage, need to look closely. Dealers would pull your leg. Some damage is minor but car cannot be sold as brand new according to Texas Law.

AL.
  • alarmproalarmpro Posts: 27
    My 2001 CL-S bought in March 2000 VIN 2667, was totally trouble free until I noticed a hesitation when shifting from 2 to 3 in auto mode. I took it to Acura and was told I would be getting a new tranny. In reality the old tranny was shifting from 2 to 4 and skipping 3.

I was given a 2002 TL-S loaner and the tranny was replaced in 4 days. That was March 2002. Since then Acura has extended the warrantee on the tranny to 100,000 miles (2 weeks after I purchased the 7yr/100,000 extended warrantee). Since then I have had NO problems what so ever!. I just turned 43,000miles. The original Michelins are still good, but will be replaced soon, as a safety precaution. This car is truly a joy to own and operate, I get 22 to 25 mpg average around town. Think twice before dumping your CL or CLS, its a dangerous world out there.
    HAPPY MOTORING TO ALL, LEE in Miami
    alarmpro :: do you think Acura/Honda has really got the tranny problem(s) FULLY resolved?? It sure seem like there some, who have had the problem re-occur. Only time will tell.

And you're right, one does NOT want to trade one set of problems for another. I got 4-years left on the tran warranty, but 1 year left on the standard. And it is looking like brakes are going to be an on-going issue.
    My thought are, if tranny dies again before 100k mi, i get a new one yet again. If it dies after 100k mi, I will have to fuss a lot to get it fixed for free. Most likely they will pay a part, I will have some out of pocket. It's an ongoing problem, I beleive you will get taken care of.

I can't afford to cut my losses, need the car to run another 5 years to pay off other car before I can sell.
  • Now you all know why I bought a first generation 1999 2.3 CL with five speed manual.
    I knew the new model was not going to offer a manual trans, and that's what I wanted.
    The first gen (97-99) models also had auto trans issues. The Odyssey (not so) mini van also has had trans issues.
    I looked at the then new Solara back in summer of 99, and discounted it because of the sloppy manual shift linkage.
    What I learned was: If you want an automatic trans, buy a Toyota, if you want a manual, buy a Honda/Acura.
    Our CL has been trouble free, except that the radio tuning button on the steering wheel does not work when the wheel is straight. I have to turn the wheel to get it to work. Didn't get it into dealer before the warranty expired.
    Well I've looked [not tested] at the new TSX, it looks nice but a tad small inside. However I did test drove a Mazda-6 w/ the sport package & just the 5sp/4 banger.

I came away very, very impress. For $20.8 vs. $26-27 for the TSX, Mazda has made a huge turn-around. Plus Mazda warranty is 4/50k, and now includes loaner cars. Not over crazy about the center console, but could live with it.

Anyway it has got me thinking. Is this a big step down ??
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    If you by a 6 or TSX you'll probably take a hit on re-sale on the CL. If I were in the market right now I would probably be thinking VW Passat or Mazda 6. The Mazda 6 is proably heavily discounted because they are not selling as well as Mazda thought. The TSX for not having a V6 is not a good value to me but you are the one buying.

Anyway I have like 12,400 on my 02 CL(I have the Base not the Type-S) so I hope I don't encounter any trans problems. Car has been solid and reliable. I don't plan on dumping my CL like everybody else here is. I am extremely happy with it. I just got an oil change done too. I have to take the car in too repair hail damage in July. I am not looking too foward to be renting a car.
    I have to admit.
    Despite the tranny problems and lossing the car for 9 days, I still love my CL. Except for a few door dings, it still looks new in the parking lot and in my garage, even next to a new silver rx330.
    I don;t know about ya'll, but I am keeping my CL!
    I testdrove the TSX. I would caution anyone who's been used to the low-end torque of a V6, especially one with the power of the CL, to really think about it before buying the TSX. Around town I found the TSX to be sluggish. The 6-speed is a bit better, but not much, IMO. Plus, trading down is generally something I would not recommend, unless dictated by finances. I've come to really fancy the memory seats, reverse-tilt mirror, auto-dimming mirror, etc.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    Heck of a curtain call:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=26&article- - _id=6705

I guess there are two ways to look at it. On the one hand it's the most powerful FWD you can get. On the other hand, it's the slowest 370hp coupe ever. Hmm.
    that if I were to unload my CL in favour of a sedan, rather than go with the TSX, I would hold out for the new TL.