Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura CL

Comments

• rick27513rick27513 Posts: 29
    '01 CL-S... I was changing the oil last weekend & saw some fresh oil on the oil pan, coming from behind the front harmonic balancer & crank pulley. It turned out to be coming from around an "idler pulley bolt" above the crank. Anyone had this problem? They had to disassemble much of the front of the engine to fix it. The warranty bill to Acura from the dealer was approx 400.00... retail cost to a non-warranty customer would have been higher! Not very comforting!

Word to the wise... get under there and check yours while you are still in warranty!
  • dust90dust90 Posts: 169
    Free to good home. I traded my 01 CL-S and am going to throw away the Helm Service Manual unless someone wants it. Just pay for the shipping, COD. Email me TEFye@aol.com
  • rick27513rick27513 Posts: 29
    dust90... email sent! if you still have it, THANKS very much.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Do you have any Golden Retriever puppies to give away? :)
  • dust90dust90 Posts: 169
    Rick gets the manual, sorry, no puppies, how about a teenager?
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    dust90-

"... how about a teenager?"

LOL....AH.... the "WONDER" years!!!

fastdriver
    No thanks! I'm trying to give away the 2 I have!
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    of ownership and still good at around 18,100 miles. Just got oil change too on Wednesday so I'll be set for another 3,000 miles before another oil change. I passed by the dealership I bought my car from on Saturday. They had a 02-03 TL on the used car section of the lot. I was like probably the person exchanged that TL for an 04 TL. The new TL looks good but I like my CL and I intend to keep it.
    but I find that when I first start off in my CL-S (ie. in the morning, after work, or after parking for an extended period), if I go hard on the throttle, the car seems to drive/shift noticeably better for the rest of the time. I figure perhaps the adaptive tranny adjusts to the initial throttle input and stays in that mode, even if you drive more relaxed subsequently, until you switch the car off. (I had always thought the tranny continuously adjusts to driver input)
  • all this tranny issue was news to me LAST week. I have a '99 CL with 59,000. One morning I noticed a high pitched whirring sound and then everything went to hell. Lucky for me, I did buy the extended warranty. I thought I'd have this car for years as it really is a nice car to drive and to be a passenger in. Needless to say, I can't wait to get it back and get rid of it. THIS WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN WITH AN ACURA!!! My alternator went too. After reading all these posts, I guess I'm lucky it didn't happen sooner. OH WELL!!!
  • alkanxalkanx Posts: 69
    Acura/Honda tranny issues remind me of Firestone fiasco, I wonder if Japanese built models have any better reliability. Even with my 6 speed manual, I have been in-n-out of dealership more times than any car I have ever had for the 1st year, do not plan to keep it for years to come.

Shawn.
    You bought a first year model. It takes time for the bugs to get worked out.

I don't see people getting killed who drive an Acura TL or CL like what happened with Firestone. As for reliability I have noticed Honda built models in the US have some first year bugs of late(01 Civic, and 03 Accord.) In their second year of bodystyle the first year bugs seem to get worked out. BTW, those Tranny's that were having problems were assembled in Japan.

Finally, I don't think I will ever buy a car in its first year of bodstyle ever again. I have looked at other boards and seen this of late: 03 Mazda 6: Rust and staning, 03 Accord: rattling and sqeauking, 04 Camry Solara: steering pulling to the right. I had a 98 Mazda 626 built in its first year of bodystyle and it did have some bugs but not like those 3 cars I meantioned above.
  • trainstrains Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 CL with the 6 speed and am not happy. There were problems with the trans since day one - the 6 speed was rebuilt at 8500 miles - Acura does not offer a rebuilt, so the existing unit has to be serviced. The car was hard to shift and pops out of first gear. The rebuild was worse then the original. The car is back at the dealership getting a second rebuild. The shift forks and two other significant parts were replaced the first time and who knows what will be done this time. By the way, the car was driven less then 25 miles after the first repair. I formerly owned an 88 & 90 Acura Legend coupe and currently own a 2002 TL Type S, so I am obviously a loyal owner (or at least I was).
  • alkanxalkanx Posts: 69
    No my friend, I have a 2003 model, it is not the 1st year one. I gave the example of Firestone because my Acura had lots of quality issues, even some of the interior side panels were lose. I had bought my car when speedometer was 21 miles... Now I have 26k miles & we all know …..after 2003 the CL-S was no-more.
    trains-

Sounds like it's time to start checking out the Lemon Law for your state so that you know what your rights are. Usually 3 strikes and they're OUT!

Check here-

http://www.defect.com/Biblio.htm

fastdriver
    "We all know why after 2003 the CL's was no more".

It was no more because there is no demand for Coupes in the NA market. Look at what everybody is drving: SUV's nowdays. BTW, I'm sorry you are having problems with your CL-s. I hope you have better luck with your next car purchase.
  • pickspicks Posts: 8
    No nav, 43k, very clean, never in an accident, driven by a female, everything looks to be in order. Asking price was $18,500...I negotiated $16,000 (from dealer) and feel this is a fair price.

Opinions / comments?

Been driving a 95 Accord EX-L coupe, 5sp, for 6 years now and 170k later I need a new car. Love Honda reliability and hope to have the same great experience with this car. I'll miss driving stick but the Mrs. isn't interested in manual trannys. Looking forward to the 260HP and some decent "luxury" features.
    picks-

Just have them run the VIN to see if the transmission was ever replaced. You should also get the extended warranty for 7/100,000.

fastdriver
    Ran a carfax report on it and it came up clean. Excuse my naiviety, but will a replaced tranny show up on the report? If it was replaced completely and not redesigned, should I look elsewhere? Finally, doesn't the 7/100k transfer w/ new ownership?

Appreciate your time.
    I'll reply to my own message...the warranty will transfer as long as I call Acura and give them the updated owners info. And since I have 7/100k on it, I'm comfortable even if the tranny was replaced.

Looking forward to a new car. It's about time.