Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• mtrammellmtrammell Posts: 125
    You're right, that is quite a bit more than normal. I wonder how that is going to affect the wheel bearings in the long run.
  • minikinminikin Posts: 389
    Affect? At best some steering wheel kick-back, especially in truck ruts. More probably, that plus some relatively expensive bearing/cv joint wear that won't become apparent until after (hopefully for you) you sell the truck.
    -- Don
  • michgndrmichgndr Posts: 160
    I don't have my 1500 yet, although it's now "in transit". Anybody know what the backspacing is for the PF9 wheels (16" cast aluminum)?

Once I get my truck, I'm going to go see what the Chevy owners hangout is like. ;-)
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    you arent missing much

damn its been one yr today since my truck arrived on the dealers lot.

wow that yr went fast

hmmm time to trade it in? NAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • Happy anniversary!

The sixteenth is my one year anniversary and Yes the year did go fast!

Trade in? Hell Ya. You need a 2500! ;-}
  • silvsilv Posts: 41
    I've been seeing this new model thrown around and I was wondering what it is. I checked the Chevy website and there was no mention of it. Is it like a heavy duty version of the under 8,600 GVWR line of pickups?

Anyone have a link to any pictures or info?

Silv
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    new Silverado......Crew cab....NON-HD style front end though.

8600 GVW like a 2500 ...but in a crew cab...so being a CC...it has a lot more weight..but the same GVW as say an ex.cab....aka will haul less in bed...

Ok..simple....it's a way to sell crew cabs to people that have to have a 1500!

...I think it has 1500 wheels instead of 2500 wheels...and may not be as beefy as a 8600 GVW 2500 or a 9200 GVW 2500HD

Good luck!

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I could have sworn 8600 GVW was 8600 GVW no matter how you looked at it.
  • vince4vince4 Posts: 1,272
    It depends which brakes and transmission it has. Sometimes GM will stretch things a bit.
  • eric2001eric2001 Posts: 482
    is not an advertising ploy folks. GM named it such so that you could have all the hauling capacity as a regular cab, but with the extra capability needed for 3 more adults in the vehicle. The larger frame, suspension, motor & tranny are necessary to allow for 6 adults and over a half ton of haul capacity left in the bed.

Put 6 adults in a SCrew by Ford and you only have a few hundred pounds capacity in the bed.

Which would you rather have?
    its last years 2500 CC rebadged as a 1500HD.

Actually its not a bad idea, especially if you use your truck unlike a lot of Supercrew owners.

Silv
    never was a CC in last years model...(2000)..but it's the 99/00 body style....

- Tim
    .....why have that and a 2500HD?...when the GVW is within 600?.....

Marketing!

...many people HAVE to have a truck that says 1500 on the side.....period.

...or Z71

- Tim
    I buy 1500 because I don't need the extra towing or payload. Nor do I need a Z71 though I would guess I do more offroading than 90% of the Z71 drivers (avid hunter since I was knee high to a jack rabbit).

Unfortunately, my job brings me to the city and I have enough problems parking a 1500 in some of these spots much less a 2500 or 3500. Plus the gass mileage is horrible for these trucks.

I know some people need the towing capability or need the club cab but I see many 4x4 SD's and HD's that don't have anything in the back, not towing anything and are as shiny as the day they came off the lot. I guess its like the people that have to have the Z28 or GT Mustang. Its an ego thing.

Silv

BTW, I live in N. Texas so where there's no ice and no hills but every other truck on the road in Dallas is a 4x4.
  • akplateakplate Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 1500, any recommandation on undercoating? I live in Kansas and got very good amount of snow past winter.
    has undercoating from the factory.
  • wight1wight1 Posts: 218
    obyone, didn't I read somewhere in here months ago that you were using Royal Purple motor oil? If so, have you noticed any change in engine performance, like better MPG, longer intervals between changes? And is it still purple after 5000 miles??!!! I was thinking about trying it on my next change.
    I hadn't noticed any performance increase though the website says up to 8 hp?

http://www.synerlec.com/dyno.html

stayed purple for the first 3500 miles then turned a darker purple? I wouldn't push it past 5000 miles though, cause even though it is advertised as synthetic, it is more dino with synthetic additives giving the best of both worlds.

By the way, I switched from Royal Purple to Lubriplate

http://www.lubriplate.com

using the 10w-30 Super GPO, was impressed by this product especially since it meets Detroit Diesel CD-II. Meets and exceeds manufacturer's specifications, including MACK EO-L and Caterpillar TO-2/12TBN, Allison C-3 and C-4. Meets military specifications MIL-L-2104E and MIL-L-46152E. Available in SAE grades 10W, 30, 40, 10W-30 and 15W-40.

• smart99smart99 Posts: 48
    I've got the 2500HD 8.1/Allison. I need it for my work.
This discussion has been closed.