Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    Oby, you say you prefer the Borla's (wise choice I'd have to agree) over the PV's ?? Then why did you install the PV's? I know you have had a couple different systems on, Gibson & Flowmaster.

Blackmax,

Nice web site, thanks for all the info on Silverado now I don't have to buy that expensive service manual for the mundane things that need doing.
    Rhode Island is a great state to visit, I went often as a kid w/family to Mantunik Beack/Point Judith/Newport, ahhhh the memories.

Ray T.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I like both systems. However, chose the PV based on performance increase and actually having the opportunity to talk to the person who developed the PV and reading the comments of people who had just installed them. Yes, I had the Gibson which I cut in little pieces with my torch for revenge on its resonance.
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Posts: 1,000
    what were you gonna say?
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    ..bring more beer??

- Tim
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Posts: 2,728
    Don, that's terrible. Saw the pictures from DIA. That hail really bashed up some stuff. Sorry about your truck. The last big hail storm you referred to was July 1990. That one nailed me.
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Posts: 255
    Out in Los Angeles this week. Driving 2001 2wd LS Xcab Pewter 5.3 auto rental vehicle. Gas is $1.93/gal, down $.10 since I was here a month ago.

My underseat storage bin was more in labor than materials as is was laid up by hand with quite a bit of hand finishing.

matthew
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    $1.27 for gas here.

I switched over to mobil gas and the truck seems to run better (quick acceleration etc.)

Ryan
    clean the exhaust pipe with an SOS pad. My tailpipe was looking pretty bad (dirty/tar) Used an SOS pad sunday and it is again very shiny and silver (still have tar but less than i did)

Ryan
    You are too anal babs!

LOL

- Tim
    I was bored had nothing to do. GF was at work. What else am i gonna do sit on my butt watch tv and drink beer like you? HAHA
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    Jim, I've used Flowmasters on all my trucks since 1988 (350's and one 454) and love the sound. I like the sound of a Borla but not the cost. The aluminized will last plenty long enough. I used the 50 series used prior to the new X-cab body in '99. I tried it but tooooo much resonance, so switched to the 70 series per suggestion from Flowmaster. I called Flowmaster before doing my 2001 and they are using the 70 series with a resonator on thier catback system. I wanted a louder note than the 70 offers so I went with the 50 series and a resonator and am extremely pleased. Nice sound out the back and very little resonance inside. Feels like more power but who's to say. MPG? Maybe a little better, but I do it for the sound! BTW....21 mpg on 500 mi round trip at 70 - 75 mph. That's a 2001 x-cab, 2wd with 5.3. (3.42 gears)
    Come on over to help me and Mike in August.....we will show ya how to work grasshopper.

....and I don't watch TV...just drink beer

haha

Next time ya need something to do....Uncle Bingo has a whole lotta crud on his "honey-do" list around here to do....

Jump in the 1500LD and come on over.....(if it can make it?)

- Tim
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Posts: 255
    Ryan, you could take a course to spruce up your HTML skills so you could script a 'rado website without pop-ups...
    BWHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

matthew
    grrrrrrr take a course? ok ill fit that in between my other 2 summer school classes

to cure my boardness after i washed the truck i played some bball

Ryan
  • michgndrmichgndr Posts: 160
    Hey all, back from vacation. This place hasn't changed.

Pulled a 2000 lb trailer load for about 1000 miles on the highway with the 1500 Z71 xcab 5.3L. Mileage from normal driving only dropped about 0.6 mpg. The rig ran great, didn't mind the load at all.

I love these Silverados!!!!
  • ricschricsch Posts: 540
    on the exhaust tip cleaning, use a small amount of kerosene, or gas on a rag-that'll remove the tar. Not to be anal about cleaning the tailpipe, but it,s noticable if neglected too long and it looks like heck when the rest of the truck is spotless. Also, what brand of gas did you run before running Mobil? just curious.
    you don't dare drive around with a dirty tailpipe, especially the little honda jobs with the mondo beer can size exhaust.
    coffee can red

I ran shell gas.

I can tell a difference with the mobil gas seems to have more OOOMMMPPPPHHHH get up and go.

Ryan
    shell gas has sand in it. a friend of mine (actually the REAL Lurd as i know him) once told me this. i didn't believe it until i had taken a sending unit out of one of the tanks on my bikes. it made a vibrating sound that had to be fixed. took two tries to fix it, and the first time i took it out it was clean inside the tank.(had been running Union76). put back together and filled with Shell. annoying noise was still there. ran tank almost dry, and dissasembled again, only this time i found sand inside the tank. never ran Shell gas again.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    dehumidifier to keep the gas dry......

Remember the Shell man with all the answers....
This discussion has been closed.