Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Problems

Comments

• ratboy3ratboy3 Posts: 324
    In the Chevy Problem forum isnt a Toyota Tundra Problem...

No problem with my Tundra.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Posts: 235
    ...on the Tundra please.
  • f1julesf1jules Posts: 288
    Just an observation from a problem free Tundra owner. That's all.
  • My only Toyota Tundra problem is .... the fact that i dont have one ... yet = )
  • When I got into work this morning, our outside weather station reported that it was a balmy 0.4 degrees outside... ;). I did not notice any clatter when I started my truck. It had been parked in my unheated garage at home and I definitely would have been able to here anything. I guess that maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

I've had my 02 SR5 4WD TRD for just over 1 1/2 weeks and about 300 miles. Nothing to complain about yet, except that I didn't get the Red Ribbon that I was promised if it arrived before Xmas, or the cute Santa's helper that was going to help enjoy the new ride. Oh well, you can't have everything and if this is as good as it gets, I won't complain.

Everyone have a Safe and Happy New Years. Leave the roadways to the Rookies tonight.

Tony K. aka Controlgod
  • fischdafischda Posts: 272
    No Tundra yet. I raved about my last test drive (47 miles worth) in other Tundra discussion. I actually prefer the front bench over buckets, and will probably stick with cloth over leather. Have leather in my Jetta, and while it's quite nice, it's not all that and a bag of chips.

I thought the TRD suspension was levels above Ford and Chevy's - it's right for the truck!

I wish Toyota would offer heated mirrors, lumbar in front 60/40 seat, and leather wrapped steering wheel in SR5 - I may have to go to Limited for that. Both my Jetta and Sienna have leather steering wheels and it makes a great big difference in grip.

Solution to cell phone problem - velcro tape!!!
  • bamatundrabamatundra Posts: 1,583
    "I don't believe you need claims of ownership to participate in any forum."

I don't either - I do believe that people should not post in a Tundra forum bashing all other Tundra owners. This is known as trolling.

"Additionally, I own a Toyota Sienna, and many on those forums complain about the ABS clunk. I've decided to believe the clunk is due to shifting brake pads and ABS self-test, depending on the situation. I don't notice it on my van, though."

Like you - I don't have any clunk due to the ABS on my Tundra. I do highly recommend the ABS - I drive in the rain a lot with the bed empty and the ABS makes for some perfectly smooth, short panic stops.

My younger brother is closing a deal on a Tundra today. He found a deal on a 2WD SR5 extended cab. It has the convenience and TRD packages, LSD, 3 in one stereo and captains chairs.

He is getting it for invoice. He also got 3 year 0% financing. That makes for a $711/mo. truck payment - OUCH!! At least it will be paid for in 3 years. He plans on keeping it for a long time (like me).
  • fischdafischda Posts: 272
    A dealer copied and gave me a pretty comprehensive '02 Tundra book. From what I gathered, the regular differential and LSD has the same gearing - 3.909, I think. What, then is limited slip and how does it differ than the standard diff?
  • A limited slip differential refers to the construction of the device (called a carrier) that the ring gear mounts on. The lsd carrier has small (less than 3" dia.) friction plates, held together by the force of little springs, the purpose of which are to keep the axles turning together. They offer a small benefit on level surfaces like iced roadways, where the traction or weight is nearly equal on both sides. If one wheel is up in the air, a lsd is utterly worthless.

A better alternative is the locker differential from Eaton. http://www.torquecontrol.eaton.com/prod6.htm

• The full locking differential is much more effective than the LSD, but it also tends to produce a lot more noise, chatter, etc. during normal on-road driving. Unless a person is doing a lot of off-roading, the LSD is a lot more practical.

I think that an LSD can be made to work (sort of) with one wheel off the ground by getting on both the brake and the accelerator. I've never run one, but that is what I've heard.
  • The Eaton locker doesn't make any noise during normal on-road driving.
    Many Tundra owners have installed this and are happy with it. Read this thread:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/showthread.php?

s=aa3c69f74873c0329bc13f6520f319f4&threadid=6007&highlight=powertrax

You will have to join on the last part of the link, Edmunds does not allow links longer than 115 characters.
  • bugwizrbugwizr Posts: 50
    Genius. Velcro! I'm going to try it.
  • jmsintxjmsintx Posts: 41
    "If one wheel is up in the air, a lsd is utterly worthless." No, with an open differential this statement is true. The LSD allows limited slip, then sends torque to the other wheel.
  • jmsintxjmsintx Posts: 41
    This may help you understand how a lsd works. No thanks necessary, regards.

http://www.tpub.com/basae/126.htm

You got to forgive Quad, he is out of his depth (very shallow).

He calls DOHCs "thingies". Does this tell you something?
  • My 2000 SR5 Access cab vibrates between 55-65 mph. Whenever the brake pedal is pressed down, the steering wheel shakes back and forth. The dealer performed the tsb for warped rotors, and new pads at 13,000 miles. It seemed to be okay, but the steering wheel shake returned within about 5,000 miles. There also seems to be an excessive amount of brake dust on the front rims. The dealer says this is normal, but I don't think so. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed with the brakes on my truck. While it stopped well at first, the right front wheel has a distinct tendency to lock-up on rainy streets. It nearly caused an accident when I veered into an adjacent lane at the light.

My only other regret is weak leaf springs. If I put more than about 800 lbs in back, it sags and bounces over freeway expansion joints.
  • ak4x4ak4x4 Posts: 126
    Gosh seems you guys are having alot of problems with your "perfect" Tundra's. Since everyone can out peform my 2001 Rado I guess when your brakes fail ou can really beat me. I guess It also means towing you when you leak Glycol everywhere. But you guys are just so fast!. I guess your blazing speed down the road 55-65 mph will have you flying past me but how many lanes will you be in??? Do I ne to watch out for steering shaft's flying out at me. And after you pass me and I roll down my window to say hi, should I watch out for yours falling or going down without reason(Real good to know about while driving through a bad hood) And I am not trolling, I am merely stating all the things that make a Tundra a Tundra, Since I made a mistake buying my Rado and it is a POS compared to The Tundra.
  • ak4x4ak4x4 Posts: 126
    If you're wheel locks up on you take it back to Toyota!. This can be due toa improper code to the ABS or the brake system itself. Dust, etc should not effect this. And did this problem occur befre or after your TSB and rotor fix?? The Dealersip may have messed up your brakes.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Posts: 235
    Toyota just came out with new rotors and brake pads for your 2000 Tundra. The fix is either on the way to the dealer or it is already there. Get in touch with your dealer and see if he has the new brake fix.

The brakes were a known problem on the 2000 Tundra only. It was a brand new truck back then and it had some toothing pain.

Read this thread. It will give you an idea about the new fix

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8878&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

This discussion has been closed.