Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Problems

Comments

• eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    luck out, because they tend to want popular arrangements. If you want a setup that isn't in wide demand, you're more likely to get it somewhere else. Not saying it's good or bad. If it suits you that's fine.
  • Is the clunk you hear coming from under the hood on the right side? If you have ABS the system runs a self diagnostic every time you start up and put it in gear. That is the clunk or noise that you hear and it is normal.
  • lewmlewm Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info tundrathunder1. But the noise is coming from the rear.... sounds almost like a bad u joint.
  • Fyi, this discussion was created for Toyota Tundra owners to discuss, and hopefully resolve, their truck problems. Let's all please respect that. And now, back to the subject of Toyota Tundra Problems. Thanks.

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
  • I havn't had that problem with my Tundra. I did have a Cherokee that drove great until I changed to Kelly Springfield's. The jeep went nuts. It felt like I was driving on marshmallows. Have you changed tires? Just a thought. My truck handles great.
  • I am not sure what the locker room analogy is all about. If you look at my first post to samiam9 I suggested the abs self diagnostic because it is a common question. I suggested tundra solutions to samiam9 because my tundra had a clunk in the rear end and to repair the problem I had to disconnect the drive shaft and lube the splines. Since my truck is a 4x4 I was not sure if the fix applied to samiam9's because it is a 4x2 hence the suggestion to go to tundra solutions. I don't think I am being overly sensitive I just didn't want to lead anyone astray. BTW my tundra also has a problem with the paint being susceptible to chipping rather easily however my understanding is a lot of manufacturers are having the same problem due to voc emissions having to be reduced in the painting process. On a more positive note if in fact I have any more problems and the post says tundra problems I sure will let people know on this site as well as others.
  • The first time I had to brake hard with my Tundra - not locking up, just braking quite a bit harder than normal - I noticed (didn't hear, just felt) a light clunk from the back. Have since felt it many times. I mentioned it to my dealer when I took it in for my first oil change and the manager said it's the rear brakes adjusting back after having used more force than normal. It doesn't occur - or I don't notice it - on normal braking.

The Tundra ABS is pretty awesome. I was trailering my boat to the lake last summer when I encountered (in Alabama this really does happen) somebody backing up on the interstate after they'd missed their exit. I panic braked when I came up on the guy and the rear tires locked, the front ABS kicked in by the book and I was able to steer my rig around the offending car - all the while with the rear tires locked up... around 50 feet or so, I figure. Aside from practically wetting my pants and stopping my heart, everything was fine. With that incident in mind, I'd say there's no problem with the Tundra brakes.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    I thought the Tundra had 4 wheel anti lock brakes as an option - are you sure your rear wheels were locked up?
  • I'm away from home right now, so I can't just go out and check my owners manual. I THOUGHT I had front ABS only. Is the 4 wheel ABS an option to the 2 wheel ABS? I don't know. I figured two wheel ABS would be standard and 4 wheel an option. I looked at the Edmunds page and just can't tell from that. I have the Limited - but again, I can't tell from the way Edmunds writes it up as to what is standard and what is an option.

I DO know this - in the aforementioned incident, I definitely heard skidding from the back two tires and definitely left rubber on the pavement for about 50 feet. But I was able to continue steering throughout the skid - that's what I figure ABS is supposed to allow you to do. Incidentally - I don't have trailer brakes on my boat trailer, so it wasn't THOSE brakes locking up on me.

And again - I definitely felt a clunk from the back end when I eased off the brakes.
  • In cold weather, below 32 degrees with radio off off and engine is started a clanking noise at idle and a louder diesel engine sound is noticed when taking off. Noise quits as soon as engine warms up 3-5 minutes.
  • The deisel sound is normal - I haven't heard the clanking sound though. You're also getting terrible mileage while it's warming up, so take it easy. You can tell when the Tundra has warmed up because it allows overdrive and you'll start to get warm air out of the blower. And it stops sounding like a diesel...

I went through a brief time after I first got my Tundra where it would be "hard starting" as many others have attested to. I would not call it hard starting - the engine cranks for MAYBE three to five seconds before it catches... and then wouldn't keep running after I let go of the key. Hasn't returned though it does tend to crank a bit before the engine starts. Dealer says this is part of the design - to circulate oil throughout the engine block prior to running.
    Tundra offers 4 wheel ABS as an option - the standard equipment is no ABS.

Per Edmunds - Anti Lock Brake System
    Four-wheel ABS, Includes: [RL] Daytime Running Lights $630

My guess is you either have no ABS or yours is not working.

I also though on trucks without ABS that there was a valve of some type that prevented the rear wheels from locking up. This is a normal problem with pickups because they are so light in the rear. Maybe someone who owns a Tundra knows for sure.
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Posts: 324
    If it has ABS and you locked up the rear.. it's not working properly.
  • My truck has the ABS option and I just took it to the dealer today to have the oil changed at 10k miles... asked them to check it out. When I mentioned it to the guy at the counter he agreed that I shouldn't have left ANY skid marks on the pavement. Said that towing a trailer might have had something to do with it. Not sure why this would make a difference.

Will let you know what they say when I pick it up later.
  • I recently purchased a slightly used 2000 4x4 Tundra 9,300 miles, with SR5 and towing packages, no ABS. It is my first truck, and first 4x4. I have noticed that, (what I think) the transmission seems to slip slightly at low speeds, ie creeping in traffic waiting for a light to change, almost like the transmission is having a hard time making up its mind where it wants to be. Also I noticed when I let off the brake after a stop there is usually a "shudder" as I start to move forward. It goes away as soon as I move. Could be the brakes "breaking" in. Any one familiar with these problems?
    Also I went to check the tire pressure last night and checked the door frame for the recommendations, and the said 28 psi front and 35 psi rear with P245 70 R16 tires. I have P265 70 r16's on the truck any difference with filling them? All the tires were 28 psi. I filled them all to 35 psi. Is there any problems with that? I use the truck for Highway and back road driving and do not plan on much off road use, no where near by to do any. Any suggestions would be nice.
  • Picked my truck up this afternoon and the dealer says my ABS is working fine. It's raining so I "tried it" in the parking lot. At about 20 mph all four did the ABS thing - no sliding. Could dry pavement at 60 mph be different? I don't know. Anyway, no problem that I could find. Still wondering why I had lock up on the interstate.
    Your brakes should only take 500 or so miles before they are fully broken in.

Tire psi - IMO 35PSI in the rear is too high if you normally run empty. Your rear tires will start to develop a worn stripe right in the middle. I have a Chevy 4x4- book calls for 35 psi in all tires, after 4,000 miles the rears had worn down in the middle. I rotated the tires, reduced PSI down to 30-32 in the rear. Truck now has 18,000 miles and I can still tell which tires were originally on the back of truck. I do pump them up to 40 psi when I plan to haul something
    heavy or if I am towing.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Posts: 1,352
    Believe it or not, vehicles with ABS can and will leave skid marks. They may be broken marks as the system is cycling. BTW, if your back was locked up and you were steering around another vehicle you would have swapped ends so fast there would of been some other skid marks to worry about!!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    type: other
    description:????

mod, can you fill in the blank...LMAO!!
  • Thanks for the advice on the tire pressure. I will put it to good use. Should save me having to replace these tires before their prime. I am having the truck back at the dealer for detailing and to correct any problems I have found. I will have them check out the brakes and transmission.
  • hello all, I am getting ready to buy a tundra and Im just doing some homework. I have been towing horses for some time now and many times I have had to apply harder than normal brakes my trailer has locked up and I have draged my trailer. my ABS on my ford F350 has never failed but most trailer breaks arnt that sophisticated unless you shelled out the big bucks for all the niceties
  • dayledayle Posts: 4
    My 2000 4x2 Limited makes a diesel like noise on
    cold starts (30 degrees or below). It did not do
    this last year during winter months. From another
    site it appears that Toyota knows about this in
    both Tundras and Sequoias. Mine lasts only a couple of minutes after I put a change of 5-30
    full synthetic in. Toyota may allege that this is
    "normal" but it smells to me like the old GM dealer standby, "they all do that". My plan is to
    just drive an otherwise great truck, follow set
    maintainence schedules with only Toyota dealer
    service, and wait and see.
  • Dayle - just how bad is this diesel noise? Is it like a real diesel or a "diesel-like" sound which you hear when you're accelerating while the engine is still cold? Can you hear it from the outside? Does it "growl" like a diesel when you're idling?

Reason I ask is that I've found my engine sounds different inside the cab while it's warming up - while I'm accelerating - but sounds perfectly normal from outside. If yours is making a REAL diesel sound, I'd be very concerned. If it's just making that "normal" Tundra warming up sound - well, we've all got that. My dealer tells me that it has to do with how the Tundra engine mixes gas/air while warming up - lots of gas and little air - which changes the "tone" of the exhaust system. As it warms up, it goes back to its "normal" sound.
    I have owned 3 Toyotas (1 car, 2 trucks) never had a problem with any strange noises at cold start up. With the 2 trucks I lived in Minnesota - one winter the high temp for the month of January was -3. Most of the time it was -20 or colder. This did NOT include wind chill! If your engine makes funny noises when its cold something is wrong with it..
  • on 10/16/00 (35672 miles)I went to my dealer with the complaint that I had a wheel bearing going out. they dismissed it as tire noise. on 1/2/01 (57960 miles)I had a wheel seal go out as a result of the bearing going bad. it took 27 days for repair, as this was not a problem that they had experienced before. they replaced the rear axle and bearing and brakes.
    On 2/7/01 I started getting erratic transmission behavior. I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in for assessment. at 60049 miles, just short of getting to the dealer, it went out! Both of the problems were repaired under warranty. They supplied me with a rental vehicle both times at no charge.
    Overall, I am very satisfied with my Tundra (V8
    4 drive 2X4 SR5).
    I have noticed that it takes longer cranking than my V6 Taco ma, but it has performed above my expectations. My Taco ma had 287,000 miles when I sold it with very few problems.

The handling problems mentioned by others may have to do with the very responsive nature of the Tundra. If you drive it like a Corvette, then no problems. Handle it GENTLY! It responds QUICK.
    Overall, I am VERY pleased with my Tundra purchased on 6/15/00. I now have 63,500 miles and am very happy.
  • Bill - go to the Toyota lot on a cold morning and take a V-8 Tundra for a test drive (one that hasn't been warmed up yet). You'll see (hear) what we're talking about. It doesn't sound like a diesel... it's just a little louder (throatier?) than normal. It only does this when you're accelerating, it's not at idle - and it only does it for the first one minute or so. I had the 4Runner with a V6 and while it didn't make this same sound, it definitely made a different sound when it was still warming up versus when it was fully warmed up. I think this is much ado about nothing.
  • You must be one loyal Toyota customer... if I had any vehicle with just 60K miles on it and had to replace my rear axle and trammy, I'd seriously question my loyalty. I'm on my 4th Toyota now with roughly 180K miles total and haven't had the first lick of trouble. I mean, literally, I have had to do nothing but the normal service stuff in the owner's manual. I know that 4 vehicles and 180K miles doesn't work out to much on AVERAGE, but my first vehicle was a Celica GT that I traded for a 4x4 at 30K miles... I traded in the 4x4 at 40K miles for a 4Runner (I got married and was transferring to Germany and the wife wanted something more car-like!). I drove the 4Runner for ten years and 100K miles without any problems and just traded it in last year on the Tundra. I only have 10K miles so far on the Tundra but haven't had any trouble at all.

Did your dealer (or whoever fixed it for you) indicate what had caused the trouble in the first place?
  • bamatundrabamatundra Posts: 1,583
    The Tundra uses a viscously coupled radiator fan. When the engine has been cold, it takes a few minutes for the fan to disengage and freewheel. The noise you are hearing is fan noise.
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Posts: 324
    I would also be concerned about the diesel engine noise. Go have the service people look at it. Use the warranty and good luck.
  • Is this what you call legendary toyota quality, man I was fooled all along I thought that meant that you didn't have to change the tranny at 60,000, guess thats why Volvo, Rolls Royce, and BMW use GM transmissions.

Ok sorry for intruding but I had to post something in response to 60,000 tranny and rear end job.
This discussion has been closed.