Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Problems

Comments

• rooster9rooster9 Posts: 239
    I don't know, I ordered my Tundra exactly how I wanted it, right to the option.
    Does it make the clunk after you hit the brakes?
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    Toyota has no choice but to limit the different option packages / variations that they offer. For example - I would bet Ford sells more long bed X-cab versions of its 1/2 ton than Toyota sells Tundras of all models. No way Toyota can afford to procuce two different wheel bases - the numbers are just not large enough to suppport the development cost. This does not mean the Tundra is a POS - it just means your choices are limited.
  • ken0ken0 Posts: 29
    In question of Rooster - what did you do to get Tundra rigged out exactly the way you wanted it?
    Every time I try to "build" one it says that you have sacrifice "this" to get "that" and I want both
  • Everyone has their own opinion of what they want and some people value certain options more than others.

I have the power package on both my cars, but I think it is pointless in my truck.
  • I am a little out of place here in that I am a Sequoia owner but what I am asking about is for parts which are the same with each vehicle. I am plagued with a roaming vehicle at highway speeds. It is a chore keeping it straight on freeways; of course this is one of the main reasons I BOUGHT the Sequoia was for its rack and pinion steering!
    Also, I have a constant light fluttering vibration at all speeds, constantly, which is driving me nuts!The vibration started right after the right front hub and front differential were replaced at 500 miles...
    Any thoughts or anyone else experience the driveline vibrations? Taking back to dealer on Monday, for its 4th visit in a month.. Love my Sequoia except when I have to drive it!! :-(
  • lewmlewm Posts: 3
    Have a 2001 4x4 Limited with about 1500 miles. Also hear a clunk after i back it out of my garage, put it into D, and start moving forward. Also, the driver's door handle makes a squeaking sound when it is opened. Had it replaced under warranty, but squeak returned after a few days. Any explanations would be appreciated. Thanks.
    The dealer ordered my Tundra how I wanted it, every option I wanted I got.

I remember back in '99 I tried configuring a '99 Ford F-150 and was amazed at the limited options they had. I couldn't get certain things with certain other options. One that really left me wondering was that I couldn't get the silver paint color with the 5.4L engine. What the hell does the paint have anything to do with the size of the engine? Then everytime I would put the options I wanted on an XL F-150, it would kick the trim level up to an XLT or Lariat. It just plain sucked.
  • I have a 2000 V8 Tundra. What type of gas should I use regular, plus or premium? I want to use regular but my wife thinks we should use plus. What are other V8 Tundra drivers using. Thanks
    87 octane is fine for your Tundra. It says right in the owner's manual to use 87 octane. That's what I use.
  • eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    luck out, because they tend to want popular arrangements. If you want a setup that isn't in wide demand, you're more likely to get it somewhere else. Not saying it's good or bad. If it suits you that's fine.
  • Is the clunk you hear coming from under the hood on the right side? If you have ABS the system runs a self diagnostic every time you start up and put it in gear. That is the clunk or noise that you hear and it is normal.
  • lewmlewm Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info tundrathunder1. But the noise is coming from the rear.... sounds almost like a bad u joint.
  • Fyi, this discussion was created for Toyota Tundra owners to discuss, and hopefully resolve, their truck problems. Let's all please respect that. And now, back to the subject of Toyota Tundra Problems. Thanks.

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
  • I havn't had that problem with my Tundra. I did have a Cherokee that drove great until I changed to Kelly Springfield's. The jeep went nuts. It felt like I was driving on marshmallows. Have you changed tires? Just a thought. My truck handles great.
  • I am not sure what the locker room analogy is all about. If you look at my first post to samiam9 I suggested the abs self diagnostic because it is a common question. I suggested tundra solutions to samiam9 because my tundra had a clunk in the rear end and to repair the problem I had to disconnect the drive shaft and lube the splines. Since my truck is a 4x4 I was not sure if the fix applied to samiam9's because it is a 4x2 hence the suggestion to go to tundra solutions. I don't think I am being overly sensitive I just didn't want to lead anyone astray. BTW my tundra also has a problem with the paint being susceptible to chipping rather easily however my understanding is a lot of manufacturers are having the same problem due to voc emissions having to be reduced in the painting process. On a more positive note if in fact I have any more problems and the post says tundra problems I sure will let people know on this site as well as others.
  • The first time I had to brake hard with my Tundra - not locking up, just braking quite a bit harder than normal - I noticed (didn't hear, just felt) a light clunk from the back. Have since felt it many times. I mentioned it to my dealer when I took it in for my first oil change and the manager said it's the rear brakes adjusting back after having used more force than normal. It doesn't occur - or I don't notice it - on normal braking.

The Tundra ABS is pretty awesome. I was trailering my boat to the lake last summer when I encountered (in Alabama this really does happen) somebody backing up on the interstate after they'd missed their exit. I panic braked when I came up on the guy and the rear tires locked, the front ABS kicked in by the book and I was able to steer my rig around the offending car - all the while with the rear tires locked up... around 50 feet or so, I figure. Aside from practically wetting my pants and stopping my heart, everything was fine. With that incident in mind, I'd say there's no problem with the Tundra brakes.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    I thought the Tundra had 4 wheel anti lock brakes as an option - are you sure your rear wheels were locked up?
  • I'm away from home right now, so I can't just go out and check my owners manual. I THOUGHT I had front ABS only. Is the 4 wheel ABS an option to the 2 wheel ABS? I don't know. I figured two wheel ABS would be standard and 4 wheel an option. I looked at the Edmunds page and just can't tell from that. I have the Limited - but again, I can't tell from the way Edmunds writes it up as to what is standard and what is an option.

I DO know this - in the aforementioned incident, I definitely heard skidding from the back two tires and definitely left rubber on the pavement for about 50 feet. But I was able to continue steering throughout the skid - that's what I figure ABS is supposed to allow you to do. Incidentally - I don't have trailer brakes on my boat trailer, so it wasn't THOSE brakes locking up on me.

And again - I definitely felt a clunk from the back end when I eased off the brakes.
  • In cold weather, below 32 degrees with radio off off and engine is started a clanking noise at idle and a louder diesel engine sound is noticed when taking off. Noise quits as soon as engine warms up 3-5 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.