Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Problems

Comments

• abc246abc246 Posts: 305
    I am also a Silverado owner but am a Toyota fan that may purchase a Tundra in the future and like to see what the problems are. For the record, I like my Silverado, but also like change.

I can't believe Toyota and GM would both make a faulty design. What I think is happening is both manufactures have specified very tight tolerances for shaft fit to prevent vibration. This leaves very little space for grease. The closer the fit the less grease that can fit between the parts.

Both of these trucks drive very smooth and vibration free, even at speeds near 100 mph. It was not long ago that trucks did not drive like this.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Posts: 1,583
    Don't worry about Toyota drivetrains - they have a well deserved reputation for being bulletproof.

Tundra won the J.D Power quality award in '00 and '01. My Tundra has been flawless. I personally know of three other Tundra owners (including my brother) who love their trouble-free trucks.

The Tundra was long-term tested by Automobile magazine - no repairs.

The Tundra was long-term tested by Motor Trend - no repairs.

You will not find a more capable, better built, more reliable truck.
    Get Real. My last Toyota 4x4 truck had a transmission problem! The transmission kept popping out of first gear during acceleration. Never did it when I took it to the dealer to have it looked at....talk about aggravation. Was mine a bulletproof drivetrain?

What you post means nothing to me. I like trucks and have bought many of them, so I have experience on my side when it comes to foreign and domestic. My last pickup truck was a Nissan 4x4. I have had many Honda and Toyota cars too. Current pickup truck is a Silverado 4x4, it is a great truck......get over it. This is not the place for your personal comments like "don't worry". I was just trying to give Tundra owners an explanation of why their trucks may not have a defect.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Posts: 1,583
    "I am also a Silverado owner but am a Toyota fan"

"Get Real. My last Toyota 4x4 truck had a transmission problem!"

Two consecutive posts by ABC. LMFAO!
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Posts: 2,728
    3 consecutive flames by you in the 3/4 ton topic. Your wee truck must be impotent!
  • f1julesf1jules Posts: 288
    "This is not the place for your personal comments like "don't worry". I was just trying to give Tundra owners an explanation of why their trucks may not have a defect."

Sure it is, this absolutely is the place for comments like this. Duh.

Besides, this is a Tundra Problems forum, not the I disagree with Bama so I'm going to pick apart everything he says and bash him forum.

Fact is, the Tundra is a very well built full-size truck. Most people who buy them have nothing but praise for them and would buy another. If the Tundra meets your needs, I would recommend it over any of the American made fullsize trucks.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Posts: 2,728
    >Most people who buy them have nothing but praise for them and would buy another.<

While that may be true, the problem is YOU shouldn't try and speak for "them" when they are already here, present in this topic right now. And they are trying to honestly report difficulties. You need to cease with the damage control posting, spin doctoring and just let these people report the facts as it applies to them.
    I am NOT "damage control posting" or "spin doctoring." I have been nothing but truthful in the problems I have experienced with my truck.

Fact is, I ACTUALLY OWN A TUNDRA!!! (in my best Artie Lang voice). So I think I'm a little more qualified to discuss the merits or demerits of the Tundra than you or abc who DO NOT own Tundras.

I was simply responding to yet another chevy owner who came here to personally attack the Tundra and a Tundra owner.
    You people are way off base. I was not attacking Tundra owners! The best car I ever owned was my Toyota Supra. My Toyota trucks have been great too. Just because I had a transmission problem in one of my Toyota trucks I don't hate Toyota. This was not even a thought when I went to buy a new pickup. The fact I currently own a Silverado should have no meaning here. I wanted to buy a Tundra, but ABS is very hard to find on a base 4x4 truck. I think what some people can not handle is that someone can switch to an American make from Toyota and like it!

I was trying to help a few Tundra owners who thought they may have a defect. My post is actually pro Toyota. The only reason I posted was because I have never seen an explanation for driveline thump for GM or Toyota trucks.
  • I think you need to chill down a bit. We're all automobile enthusiasts here and while some have more vocal opinions on a particular make and model that they do OR do not prefer, there's no need for coping an attitude. While you state you're not attacking Tundra owners, you sure were attacking Bama.

"This is not the place for your personal comments like "don't worry".

"Get Real"

"Silverado 4x4, it is a great truck......get over it"

Sounds pretty hipocritical to me
  • Just got my Car and Driver mag in the mail yesterday and came across a 4x4 fullsize truck shootout with the Dodge Ram, Silverado, Tundra, and F150 - scored in that order. Well, what do they know? Their a car magazine, not a truck magazine. What's up with the Dodge winning - slowest in acceleration, braking, etc. Dodge must have paid off the editor! Tundra's are the best!
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Posts: 235
    could you please post the numbers, you know 0-60, 1/4 mile, braking, etc...These are more important than the subjective drivel that journalists spew.
    To bad they don't rate them on trips to the dealership, time spent at the dealership, time/money/lost productivity because vehicle is out of service. Who gives a crap if one truck is 1/4 sec. faster 0-60mph if it spends half the time in the shop?

Someone should produce a mag entitled "Everything the Auto Manfacturers don't want you to know about the vehicles they produce." It has kind of a ring to it doesn't it? Hehehe.
  • Here are the numbers (note that the tundra is the overall best in these performance measures):

0-60: Tundra = 8.6/10.3*
    Silverado = 9.2/10.8*
    Ram = 10.1/11.7*
    F150 = 9.3/11.3*

1/4: Tundra = 16.7@83/17.7@79*
    Silver = 16.8@82/17.6@78*
    Ram = 17.4@77/18.1@73*
    F150 = 16.7@81/17.9@76*

Braking 70-0: Tundra = 189/200*
    Silver = 196/222*
    Ram = 203/205*
    F150 = 203/211*

* with 1,000 lb payload

All engines except for the F150 are the base V8. The F150 had a 5.4L. The Tundra was the lightest and the Ram weighed in the heaviest (quad cab style). The Ram is only rated to tow a 6,100 lb load!

I've got to admit that I was quite taken aback to read that the Tundra was rated as low as it was. Quotes like "The Silverado's structure is more solid and rattle-free than the others" had me gasping as that is quite contradictory from what I've seemed to have read here. To be fair, they did slam the Tundra on rear cab space, but rated it slightly better than the F150. And they thought the TRD suspension was set too stiff. In the new Annual Consumer Reports Car Edition mag, they report that the Tundra is the recommended favorite of the trucks in the full size category. They also rated the reliability of the Tundra with a big red cherry vs the Silverado with a big black mark. I trust CR over C&D any day.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I trust CR over C&D any day.

Many don't trust neither or trust both depending if it agrees with their opinion.
  • plutoniousplutonious Posts: 799
    I agree with you, obyone. Heck, I even know brand loyalists whose opinions don't change, even after owning bonafide lemons!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    problems now do I? Talk about loyalist....doh!
  • I've been subscribing to CR for about the last 10 years, and while they are not exactly perfect, they have more hits than misses. CR is one of the sources of reference that I use to make decisions re: purchases of major $$ items cause they seem to report (in my opinion) objectively about products they evaluate. They claim not to take money from manufacturers or ad money and rely on donations and other self generated cash.

What do you use to base your decision on a new car or truck or other major cost goodies? Intuition?
    "What do you use to base your decision on a new car or truck or other major cost goodies? Intuition?"

Nah, them commercials on the tele are what the chevy owners base their decisions on. Those "like a rock" ads keep em comin back, because we all know the ad execs at chevy wouldn't want to mislead anyone. ROTFLMAO!!!
  • dch0300dch0300 Posts: 472
    So who is right...Truck Trend or Car & Driver?

Here is the link to a Truck Trend test of a Silverado 1500 LT and a Tundra SR5

http://www.trucktrend.com/editorial/article_popup.jsp?id=30189&sidebar=1

Notice the numbers for the same tests differ from what Car &Driver got. Some of the tests favor the Silverado and some favor the Tundra.

Guess the outcome depends on who does the test.

This discussion has been closed.