Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hatchback participants, introduce yourself here!

rukawarukawa Posts: 25
Hello everybody! Here I am...introducing myself (feeling dumb). I am a 17-yrs-old Highschool kid.
I've got a crush on cars for the last few month. I've always wanted a small car with good gas mileage..then..I found Honda Civic Hatchback... I was attracted to it since them. There is no other car can pull me away from 1998 Honda Civic Hatchback now..(well.. maybe 1999 Hatchback). I became a hatchback wannabe since then....

Comments

• mznmzn Posts: 727
    Welcome rukawa! I think you'll find this to be a helpful place as you make your car buying decision. No need to feel dumb, you're already one of our best participants! Thanks for telling us a bit more about yourself.

carlady/host
  • rukawarukawa Posts: 25
    hehehehe...I've been here for a about 2 week now..
    I just found out..the car I am driving is a hatchback too hehehe I am a hatchback driver~~~ Woohoo!! It's a Toyota Tercel..my aunt's..too bad I don't like this car ..I like Honda Civic Hatchback more..and I'll get it as soon as I get a job! Wait for me good news~~~
  • janet3janet3 Posts: 1
    I am considering a Camry Solara and need to hear from someone who has one. Can they compare it to the Acura Integra?
    Welcome to the Hatchbacks conference, janet3! You won't find the answer to your question in this topic but try our Acura Integra topic. And please, tell us a bit about yourself here so we can get to know you better.

carlady/host
    or, umm, start your own discussion about the two cars. ;-)

carlady/host
  • bruticusbruticus Posts: 229
    My first car was a 1983 Plymouth Turismo. My father, who ran his own auto shop then, gave it to me for my 16th birthday, provided I a) worked at the shop after school/weekends b) performed maintenance myself (which included replacing the camshaft and valve cover gasket) and didn't run it into a tree. As a further surprise gift, he repainted it that late-80s Geo green-you know, one -third of all Geo Storms still on the road are that color. It came out much darker than the color chip-something in the formula mix at the supply store, but it looked incredible, and was nearly impossible to lose in the school parking lot.

After it got to the point that keeping it running was more hassle and expense than getting something different, I segued into my stepmother's Mazda, and my father (a high school teacher by now) sold it to one of his students. The jerk totalled it within a year, if not six months.

That car was cool-I used to take it to the drive in, pop the hatch and fold down the back seat, and prestochango, I had seating for like 12.

Or 2, providing it was the right movie ;->

I invite all you others out there in netland to chime in with your hatchback stories. With luck, we'll raise Kleenex sales to a new alltime high.
    Welcome, this is definitely the place for you! I know we'll be drawing on your expertise and experience.

My only sad hatchback story was the tears I shed saying goodbye to my old VW Golf. She was a good buddy. Of course, I was at the dealership to pick up her baby sister, my new VW Golf, so it isn't really even a one hankie tale.

Lurkers, do pop in and say hello!

carlady/host
  • Hi everybody,

I just posted a response in the "I LOVE FESTIVAS" topic about my old Festiva. The insurance company totaled it. Oh well, I just have to keep telling myself that "it isn't mine anymore. I sold it already." It's still hard though. That was my first car, and I'll always remember it.
    Thanks for checking in, zacharylaurie. I always appreciate your comments.

carlady/host
  • joelejoele Posts: 6
    Help!
    I have a 88 Celica with 366,000 miles. I drove it cross country many times. The body is straight, no accidents, but a friend recommend that I get rid of it instead of dropping a new engine. It runs a little rough but still runs and gets me around. What should I do?
  • bruticusbruticus Posts: 229
    Mr. Jjoe-there should be a topic just for Celicas, but if there isn't start one. If I were you, I'd take the Celly to a good-rep authorized dealer and get there est. on fixing whatever's wrong with the engine, then take it to a second place to see if the 2 est. jibe. Then sit down and think long and hard about whether putting this work into the car will be worth it--are you going to drive it/will it be drivable for another 100K? If you honestly think you'll be keeping the car until sometime after Y2K kills all the world's PCs and plunges us into some New Dark Age, then go ahead. If there's any chance you'll be looking for a new(er) vehicle by then, get what you can for the Celly now. You sound like a tried-n-true Toyota junkie, so look maybe at a Supra-they really are excellent cars, and one from 92-96 in good condition won't be back-breakingly expensive. (the Supe is I believe going on hiatus, so anything newer that 96 is likely to be really expensive because of rarity concerns, and there just won't be any more new ones.)

A Supe is about the only car around that'd be similar to what you seem to like in cars (unless you go American). You could look for like a 300Z, but you'd pay a whole lot, or maybe a 240SX, but the general opinion about them isn't as glowing as were opinions for Supes, 240s, Preludes, etc etc.

Good luck in your car conundrum.

DjB
    Thank you for your help, Bruticus, and a big welcome to Jjoe. Thanks for joining us.

Please do start a new topic on the Toyota Celica -- I think it's the best way to get your questions answered and provide information to our other users. Just click on the "Create Topic" button on the top left of the Topic List. If you need help, please leave a note for me here.

And again, welcome.

carlady/host
  • joelejoele Posts: 6
    Thank you, carlady and bruticus for the big welcome. I started a "Toyota Celica" topic and I hope to hear more from you guys again!
  • gessgess Posts: 90
    I own a 1986 Chev Nova hatchback which is a Corolla underneath. There is 85k on it and have had no major problems. My only comment is that the older it gets the higher octane I have to put in it because of the engine pinging. I love all the stuff I can cram into it and don't want to sell it!
    Welcome, gess! I'm glad you found us and I look forward to reading your comments about Hatchbacks. Feel free to start new discussions and add to the ones we've already begun. If you have any questions, ask me here or in email to me at mznorma@ibm.net.

carlady/host
  • Hi! It's my second day here and I like it very much. I'm a 30something first-time mom (1 daughter, 9 months) who's always wanted a hatchback. I currently drive an '87 VW Jetta and plan to switch to the Golf this year. The only thing that bothers me about the Jetta is that I can't always carry everything I'd like to in it and it's hard to carry my good (though large) stroller in it. Can anyone tell me how much cargo space the Golf actually has when you fold down the seats?
    Welcome meclarke! We're glad you found us.

As a two-time VW Golf owner, I think you're on the right track. Why not check our Volkswagon Golf IV topic? I think you'll get a good response there.

carlady/host
  • volfyvolfy Posts: 274
    Hi boys & girls, and carlady :)

I've been yakking away for a couple of days now and just now saw that I'm suppose to introduce myself. Sorry.

I drive a 1989 GTI 16V, hope to buy a 2000 Golf VR5, drool after the Audi A4 2.8, will kill for an Audi S4 Quattro BiTurbo, and Shhh... just between you and me, haul 2x4s back from Home Depot with my 1996 Toyota Tacoma (rest assured the Tacoma's windows are dark tinted and all emblems and lettering are taken off).

I turn the wrenches on all my cars, motorcycles, bicycles, lawnmowers and weedwackers. With mixed results, usually. BTW, does anyone know why the tranny would make a clunking noise after a clutch change? I'm asking this for a friend of mine who also has an 89 GTI 16V...of course.

I am a mechanical/software engineer by trade. If you think that's a weird combination, my wife wishes to add that my career choice has made me hard-headed and soft in the wrong places.

I subscribe to the Tim Allen school of Thought that men are good for two things around the house: vehicle maintenance and lawn care. Everything else is my wife's job.

I have several scars on my left buttock from the last rec.autos.vw VW.vs.Honda flamewar. Will post pictures if there's enough interest.

Cheers,

Volfy
    Thanks for introducing yourself, volfy. Mechanical engineers are always welcome; just ask my husband and fellow host, bnormann. You're not a Tau Beta Pi by any chance?

As for your souvenir photos, please hold those for now. :-)

carlady/host
    carlady,

'Afraid not. Back in college, I was too busy hanging out with the Autocross crowd and listening to Car Talk. I did belong to the SAE student chapter for a while, but they kick me out after a while because I wanted to carbon fibre everything, including the suspension components.
    I think you're just the right person for this conference. Welcome!

carlady/host
  • bnormannbnormann Posts: 335
    Carbon fiber stickers on the suspension??
    Definitely sounds like a "Fashion-Don't" {%^D

Bruce.
    May be. But we used to guarantee 2 tenths of a second at the local SCCA for each one of our club stickers applied ;^)
  • I used to be the proud owner of a fine hatchback called a Ford Festiva. This week, I'm planning on buying a newer car. Unfortunately, it probably won't be a hatchback. I'm planning on getting a '93 Mercury Sable GS sedan. Maybe someday I'll get a hatchback again (they sure do have advantages over a closed trunk.)
    Well, we understand. :-(

Enjoy your Mercury Sable and the Sedans Conference!

carlady/host
  • hi all,
    here's a good short article on the virtues of hatchbacks from the miningco and why they are more popular in europe than in the U.S.

http://automobiles.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa042799.htm?COB=home&PRM=H4T
    Yes, it's a must read!

carlady/host
  • jwong11jwong11 Posts: 1
    Hi All,

Currently, I own a 1990 Toyota Tercel with only 70,000 miles. Had been thinking about getting a new car lately. I would love to have a Miata or a Z3 Roadster, but it's such an impractical car. The only thing that is holding me back is the lack of trunk space. I love the trunk space of my Tercel. I have hauled beds, furniture, exercise machine, computer, etc... and moved apartment several times with my Tercel. I don't mind getting another hatchback, but what choice do I have nowadays, seems like it's either a Civic or VW GTI. Sad to say, US hatchback market is dying.
    Welcome jwong11! If the hatchback market is dying I don't think it is a shortage of drivers who want hatches. To me the demand is here, the supply of fun, fast, economical, etc. hatchbacks is severely limited, particularly when compared to the range of choices offered in Europe.

Thanks for introducing yourself!

carlady/host
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Interesting article, but he missed one of the newest, hottest selling H.B. in the U.S.

Can you spell C-O-U-G-A-R?

Fills in all of the space and practicality requirements and has performance and styling to boot. And the price is even reasonable!!!

Skip G. (A new Cougar owner who spends most of his Edmunds time over in the C.S.G. in the sports, etc..area)