Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hatchback participants, introduce yourself here!

Comments

• mznmzn Posts: 727
    I think you're just the right person for this conference. Welcome!

carlady/host
  • bnormannbnormann Posts: 335
    Carbon fiber stickers on the suspension??
    Definitely sounds like a "Fashion-Don't" {%^D

Bruce.
  • volfyvolfy Posts: 274
    May be. But we used to guarantee 2 tenths of a second at the local SCCA for each one of our club stickers applied ;^)
  • I used to be the proud owner of a fine hatchback called a Ford Festiva. This week, I'm planning on buying a newer car. Unfortunately, it probably won't be a hatchback. I'm planning on getting a '93 Mercury Sable GS sedan. Maybe someday I'll get a hatchback again (they sure do have advantages over a closed trunk.)
    Well, we understand. :-(

Enjoy your Mercury Sable and the Sedans Conference!

carlady/host
  • hi all,
    here's a good short article on the virtues of hatchbacks from the miningco and why they are more popular in europe than in the U.S.

http://automobiles.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa042799.htm?COB=home&PRM=H4T
    Yes, it's a must read!

carlady/host
  • jwong11jwong11 Posts: 1
    Hi All,

Currently, I own a 1990 Toyota Tercel with only 70,000 miles. Had been thinking about getting a new car lately. I would love to have a Miata or a Z3 Roadster, but it's such an impractical car. The only thing that is holding me back is the lack of trunk space. I love the trunk space of my Tercel. I have hauled beds, furniture, exercise machine, computer, etc... and moved apartment several times with my Tercel. I don't mind getting another hatchback, but what choice do I have nowadays, seems like it's either a Civic or VW GTI. Sad to say, US hatchback market is dying.
    Welcome jwong11! If the hatchback market is dying I don't think it is a shortage of drivers who want hatches. To me the demand is here, the supply of fun, fast, economical, etc. hatchbacks is severely limited, particularly when compared to the range of choices offered in Europe.

Thanks for introducing yourself!

carlady/host
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Interesting article, but he missed one of the newest, hottest selling H.B. in the U.S.

Can you spell C-O-U-G-A-R?

Fills in all of the space and practicality requirements and has performance and styling to boot. And the price is even reasonable!!!

Skip G. (A new Cougar owner who spends most of his Edmunds time over in the C.S.G. in the sports, etc..area)
  • Hi all,

I've recently found the townhall and I've enjoyed reading all the posts. I too am a HB driver. I have a 98 Civic DX with 21K km on it. I wish HB were more popular, so there'd be more models to choose from.
    Welcome, derrickwong! I'm glad you found us. I think hatchbacks would be more popular if there were more of them from which to choose. But that's always the chicken & the egg. Ford and Mercedes Benz are planning to bring out hatchbacks so perhaps the field is broadening after all.

carlady/host
  • mcvequemcveque Posts: 1
    I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT USED CARS AND I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE MITSUBISHI ECIPSE 94'-97'. WHAT WORRIES ME ABOUT THE ECLIPSE IS THE COST OF REPAIRS. DOES ANYBODY OWN ONE AND COULD THEY SHED SOME LIGHT?
    Welcome mcveque! That's a great question for our Coupes, Convertibles, and Sports Car Conference. Why not use our Search below to find a conversation already in progress?

Just a quick tip. Reading ALL CAPS is a bit difficult and is taking as SHOUTING by some on the net. Using regular upper and lower case is easier for all of us.

carlady/host
  • babygrnd5babygrnd5 Posts: 1
    I NEED to get ahold of someone about a car in my area...i found the car I'm looking for an 89 CRX Si but all that was listed was this website...I need to get in touch with the owner(s). If there is a way you could help I would appreciate it.
    Welcome babygrnd5! This topic is for introductions and you're invited to tell us a bit about yourself. For specific questions about cars or models, use Return to Topic List (above, to the right) for a list of topics in this conference. You can also use our search feature below to find a conversation already in progress.

carlady/host
  • um.. hello.. I just wanted to drop by and introduce myself as I have been instructed (I believe) to do so...

HI check out my profile, i put a lot of time and energy into it...

Nice to meet you! ok, bye bye
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    It seemed like an interesting idea, so I decided to move it back to this board to see how it does.... Anyone game? ;-)

Thanks for your participation.

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards
  • tocantocan Posts: 118
    Yes, I'm game to try.

My name is Nomi and I am anxiously awaiting the pricing announcement for the Protege5 (in Canada) Sport Wagon (in the U.S), since I think that the hatchback makes lots of sense. I am a cyclist, and I would prefer to be able to just put the bike in the back instead of worrying about a trailer hitch rack (which is what I have had on my last 2 cars) or a roof rack.

My first car was a 1981 Toyota Tercel hatchback, which actually wasn't terribly convenient since it was before manufacturers lowered the sill on trunks and hatches, and you had to lift stuff pretty high to get it into the back. I remember doing a real job on the paint trying to get the bike in. Things seem to have changed, and trunk sills are much lower.

My next car was a Camry. I have a REALLY narrow driveway, and within the first few months I killed 2 driver side mirrors backing out. But I still kept the car for 7 years.

I replaced that with my current car, a 1994 Sentra GXE. I have had it for 7 years, and am ready for something different. I started thinking about replacing it about 1 1/2 years ago (expecting to buy a new car in the Spring of 2000) but other priorities got in the way, and I didn't. I'm glad I waited. The Protege5 seems to have everything I want. I saw it (at least at a distance) at the Canadian International Auto Show here in Toronto, and I really like the looks of it. I have taken the ES for a test drive, and since the interior and mechanicals are just about the same I think that I have a good sense of how the hatchback will drive. In the meantime, I am searching for any and all information I can find on the car, and waiting for the pricing to be announced.

None of the other hatchbacks appeal to me. The Focus looks bizarre, and mechanically they have had way too many problems for my taste. The Golf is really just a Jetta with the trunk cut off, it seems that it has less luggage space than the Jetta. And I do need 4 doors (or 5 if you count the hatch)!

Anyway, my more than 2 cents worth.

Nomi
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    I've also seen your informative posts in our Mazda 5 door Sport discussion. Hopefully we'll be getting some more news in there soon.... I'm kinda curious to see what the interior of this vehicle will look like.

You mention: "I am a cyclist"

I think that is so interesting! My whole family (brothers/sisters) have always been into bike riding. Recently I got back into it... and bought myself a used bicycle. I have to say it's really nice to be able to just roll my bike into my vehicle (Van).

So I do understand where you're coming from in wanting a vehicle like the 5 door Mazda sport. Btw, in case you weren't aware, here's our Upcoming Hatchbacks discussion. Perhaps you'll see something there... that's also worth waiting for. Talk later. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards