Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hatchback participants, introduce yourself here!

Comments

• Hi all,

I've recently found the townhall and I've enjoyed reading all the posts. I too am a HB driver. I have a 98 Civic DX with 21K km on it. I wish HB were more popular, so there'd be more models to choose from.
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Welcome, derrickwong! I'm glad you found us. I think hatchbacks would be more popular if there were more of them from which to choose. But that's always the chicken & the egg. Ford and Mercedes Benz are planning to bring out hatchbacks so perhaps the field is broadening after all.

carlady/host
  • mcvequemcveque Posts: 1
    I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT USED CARS AND I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE MITSUBISHI ECIPSE 94'-97'. WHAT WORRIES ME ABOUT THE ECLIPSE IS THE COST OF REPAIRS. DOES ANYBODY OWN ONE AND COULD THEY SHED SOME LIGHT?
    Welcome mcveque! That's a great question for our Coupes, Convertibles, and Sports Car Conference. Why not use our Search below to find a conversation already in progress?

Just a quick tip. Reading ALL CAPS is a bit difficult and is taking as SHOUTING by some on the net. Using regular upper and lower case is easier for all of us.

carlady/host
  • babygrnd5babygrnd5 Posts: 1
    I NEED to get ahold of someone about a car in my area...i found the car I'm looking for an 89 CRX Si but all that was listed was this website...I need to get in touch with the owner(s). If there is a way you could help I would appreciate it.
    Welcome babygrnd5! This topic is for introductions and you're invited to tell us a bit about yourself. For specific questions about cars or models, use Return to Topic List (above, to the right) for a list of topics in this conference. You can also use our search feature below to find a conversation already in progress.

carlady/host
  • um.. hello.. I just wanted to drop by and introduce myself as I have been instructed (I believe) to do so...

HI check out my profile, i put a lot of time and energy into it...

Nice to meet you! ok, bye bye
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    It seemed like an interesting idea, so I decided to move it back to this board to see how it does.... Anyone game? ;-)

Thanks for your participation.

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards
  • tocantocan Posts: 118
    Yes, I'm game to try.

My name is Nomi and I am anxiously awaiting the pricing announcement for the Protege5 (in Canada) Sport Wagon (in the U.S), since I think that the hatchback makes lots of sense. I am a cyclist, and I would prefer to be able to just put the bike in the back instead of worrying about a trailer hitch rack (which is what I have had on my last 2 cars) or a roof rack.

My first car was a 1981 Toyota Tercel hatchback, which actually wasn't terribly convenient since it was before manufacturers lowered the sill on trunks and hatches, and you had to lift stuff pretty high to get it into the back. I remember doing a real job on the paint trying to get the bike in. Things seem to have changed, and trunk sills are much lower.

My next car was a Camry. I have a REALLY narrow driveway, and within the first few months I killed 2 driver side mirrors backing out. But I still kept the car for 7 years.

I replaced that with my current car, a 1994 Sentra GXE. I have had it for 7 years, and am ready for something different. I started thinking about replacing it about 1 1/2 years ago (expecting to buy a new car in the Spring of 2000) but other priorities got in the way, and I didn't. I'm glad I waited. The Protege5 seems to have everything I want. I saw it (at least at a distance) at the Canadian International Auto Show here in Toronto, and I really like the looks of it. I have taken the ES for a test drive, and since the interior and mechanicals are just about the same I think that I have a good sense of how the hatchback will drive. In the meantime, I am searching for any and all information I can find on the car, and waiting for the pricing to be announced.

None of the other hatchbacks appeal to me. The Focus looks bizarre, and mechanically they have had way too many problems for my taste. The Golf is really just a Jetta with the trunk cut off, it seems that it has less luggage space than the Jetta. And I do need 4 doors (or 5 if you count the hatch)!

Anyway, my more than 2 cents worth.

Nomi
    I've also seen your informative posts in our Mazda 5 door Sport discussion. Hopefully we'll be getting some more news in there soon.... I'm kinda curious to see what the interior of this vehicle will look like.

You mention: "I am a cyclist"

I think that is so interesting! My whole family (brothers/sisters) have always been into bike riding. Recently I got back into it... and bought myself a used bicycle. I have to say it's really nice to be able to just roll my bike into my vehicle (Van).

So I do understand where you're coming from in wanting a vehicle like the 5 door Mazda sport. Btw, in case you weren't aware, here's our Upcoming Hatchbacks discussion. Perhaps you'll see something there... that's also worth waiting for. Talk later. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
  • sloankrsloankr Posts: 8
    I've got a strange combination of needs. I like small cars...and I play the tuba.

My automotive history: 1954 Hudson (the last of the big ones); 1964 Plymouth Valiant; 1971 Datsun 240Z (perfect!); 1979 Saab 99; 1990 Protege. While I was driving the Saab and Protege, my wife has had a 1987 Taurus wagon and a 1997 Sable wagon.

The Protege has done everything I've asked it to do, but it's been a compromise (4 seats needed for soccer/lacrosse Dad duty).

The 1971 240Z would be perfect, if it were updated and at a reasonable cost (in 1971, the cost was very reasonable).

I suspect that the new (2003) Z will not have enough luggage space, and may lack a big enough "hole" to fit a reasonable sized tuba. The 1971 240Z would have had no problem here.

So...leading candidates are the new Mazda Protege 5 (perhaps not enough oomph), VW GTI or new Jetta Wagon (the GTI if my tuba case fits behind the rear seat backs - perhaps the Jetta Wagon if it doesn't...or perhaps the New Beetle (with the rear seats *permanently* folded away.

Maybe an Integra GSR (must see the new design).

Suggestions?
    I have to say you have a very interesting automotive history... a 1954 Hudson! Pretty impressive.

As for helping you with suggestions, perhaps you'd care to share what your budget is? A couple quick ideas: I've read some good thing about the Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3. You may want to visit the ZX3 discussion here. Edmunds.com also has a ZX3 in their long term road tests that you can read up on.

Also, Mercedes is soon going to release their new 2002 C230 hatchback, which is suppose to be priced in the mid 20's. Might be something to consider.

In addition to the feedback here, you may also want to check out the discussions in the Additional Resources box on the left hand column of this page. Also, since you mention the Integra and Mazda 5 door, here are direct links to our Acura Integra GS-R & Type R and Mazda 5 door Sport discussions. Those are also good options.

Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your question. Good luck with your decision. And please keep us posted. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host

• sloankrsloankr Posts: 8
    OK - let's see...large enough for the new Z (but I think the new Z will not be "tuba friendly"). Nissan seems to have forgotten that the 240Z was not really a "sports car" - it was a personal GT vehicle. It had a massive amount of space for 2 people...and then they ruined it by going 2+2...and then they started chasing Porsche up the food chain.

ZX3? Interesting car, but so far too "economy" oriented and not quite enough "performance" to balance the spartan accomodations.

Audi TT and BMW Z3 are probably off the top of my budget - even if my tuba *would* fit (which I doubt).

In wagons, I suspect even the BMW 3-series sportwagon is a dollar too far.

Yes, the Mercedes will get a look, when it arrives (if that's not too late). And, interestingly enough, so will the Mini Cooper (but only if I can permanently remove the rear seats, I think)

Now, about the Civic Type R...

Right now the leading candidates seem to be next year's VW GTI (loaded to the gills) or next year's Integra GS-R (leaving with me with enough in the budget to buy a new tuba!). I'd really love a frank 2-seater (with the requisite luggage requirements - basically a VERY LARGE opening and reasonably large volume) - but I don't think such exists. Again (I keep coming back to this, don't I) think 240Z.
    You said: "Yes, the Mercedes will get a look, when it arrives"

From what I've seen the interior space looks quite spacious. And from what I hear, better put your order in now. I'll also be looking at this one myself.

Btw, here's a direct link to our Mercedes Benz C230 (2002) discussion. Keep a look out for some new pics there. Drew, our Mercedes chat host, will be soon be posting some interesting shots that he took at the recent auto show.

Talk later. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons message Boards

• cjaccettacjaccetta Posts: 236
    Hi everyone. I'm a h/b driver who's been posting in some other topics and I finally found this one.

I've been drving my 1993 Geo Metro trouble-free for seven years and loving it. Only 46,000 miles on the old gal, but that's because I live near NYC and don't drive too much.

I just got married and switched jobs. My wife and I are looking for a new car soon, especially since I drive to work now. I don't want to put the Metro to pasture just yet, but we have our eyes on the Hyundai Elantra GT.

Well, keep the good h/b tales coming. With all the new "crossover" vehicles being introduced, we hatchback drivers can say we were driving "cool" cars way before everyone else!
    Thanks for sharing your story. You're right, there are a lots of new hatchbacks/cross over vehicles coming the market. You and your wife will have plenty of great choices in the very near future! You say: "...but we have our eyes on the Hyundai Elantra GT."

In addition to our Hyundai Elantra 5-door discussion, you may also find some helpful information in the discussions linked to the Additional Resources on the left side of the page. Keep us posted.

Happy Shopping!

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Board

• bruticusbruticus Posts: 229
    To keep track of what I've said on Edmunds, I do a board search for my own handle. Imagine seeing this topic come up as active. Wow! I wrote that stuff almost 3 years ago!

Well, I'm in a '96 Neon ACR now, but am going (mark my words, it's a personal pact!) to get a WRX this summer. WOOHOO!

DjB
    Also, to all the new comers and old timers-

Feel free to participate in this discussion. Especially the regular participants... feel free to respond to any of the new participant posts if you'd like.... Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
  • cgsangelcgsangel Posts: 79
    Hi,

I'm Charlie and I've been posting over at the Focus ZX3 board since March of 2000. I bought my ZX3 in February 2000, and I guess I am one of the happy owners with 18,000 miles and only scheduled maintenance to date.

My previous cars were mostly station wagons and vans, with a few coupes and one other hatchback too. One thing I'm happy to see is that Ford is introducing a five door, although for me I like my 3 door fine.

It's also a very roomy car... anyone who has owned one for awhile and is six feet tall or more will appreciate the head and leg room. I've taken it on 5 trips of more than a thousand miles each and it performed flawlessly. The automatic overdrive gets me 31mpg at highway speeds. The 130hp engine is not set up to win races but it will easily keep up at highway speeds. The handling is amazing for a car under $15,000.

I'm not quite ready to be looking for another car at the moment because mine is what I wanted. I had considered a Protege also, but without the hatch, it wasn't considered for long. I'm glad to see that Mazda has introduced their 5 door. I also looked at the Subaru Impreza and I like the package that they have out now.

I'm glad to see that there are more hatchbacks coming so we have a choice. I would like to see a few more hatchbacks of Saab proportions, but less costly. Some of the new station wagons, like the Volvos, BMWs, and Audis are great, but the prices are prohibitive for many people in the market for a convenient but affordable car.

I remember years ago when I owned a 64 Opel Kadett Station Wagon, which was really a hatchback considering its size (and very basic.. 46 hp!!) There wasn't much competition back then except for VW, and I guess it came over too early, while the big cars still were popular and gas was cheap.

Charlie
    "...I am one of the happy owners with 18,000 miles and only scheduled maintenance to date."

Glad to hear you're enjoying your 2000 Ford ZX3. Guess you must know that Edmunds.com's has a ZX3 in their long term road tests. I've been reading lots of good stuff about it there!

"I'm glad to see that there are more hatchbacks coming so we have a choice."

Yes, so am I. With all the new hatchbacks hitting the market now, the participation on this board has increased considerably over the last few months. It's nice to see all the new faces!

Thanks for your participation here. See ya around the Hatchbacks Message Board. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
  • babe1956babe1956 Posts: 4
    I was searching for something different, sporty looking, inexpensive with a darn good warranty and there I found the Kia 2001 Spectra GSX Hatchback. Actually, you wouldn't know that its a hatchback unless you lift up the trunk. O.K., so I've only had it a week but so far for the money, I have a really good bargain. The GSX model comes with the pin striping, spoiler, leather covered steering wheel and shifter as well as the mag wheels, power windows and automatic locks. I opted for black. Although its harder to keep clean, it looks really great. I took it home, gave it a good and proper waxing and scotchguarded the seats. Just to add something a little extra, I had them put in the CD player. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. If anyone has the Kia Spectra GSX and has any info on, I would love to hear from you.
    And congratulations on your new Kia Spectra! This is perfect timing, since someone just started up a new Kia Spectra discussion on this message board.

Being that's it's fairly new, it's kinda small now; but I'm sure we'll be seeing more Spectra owners here in the very near future. Especially if enthusiastic owners like you get things started....

Btw, to spare yourself the trouble of re-writing, you may want to copy/paste your message into that discussion. We look forward to hearing about your ownership experience!

Happy motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

• mrolandmroland Posts: 129
    Hello,
    My name is Marc. I am 27 years old. I have a 1998 Saturn SL right now. The lease expires in September, and I have wanted a hatchback/Wagon. I have driven Golfs, Imprezas, Protege5, and Saturn LS. Nothing comes close to the Focus for handling, comfort, and price. I am only concerned about build quality, but hopefully they have been building them for 2 years now, so thye have gotten the bugs out of the series.

I am interested in hearing from Focus zx3 owners about how well thier car has held up. I am planning on ordering my ZX5 ASAP, so it will be ready this fall. I am please Ford is offering such a fun car, and most importantly, with a great stick shift.

I should have been born in Europe, I always loved hatchback Saabs and VWs.

Marc
    Thanks for your introduction... nice to meet you! ;-) You said: "I am interested in hearing from Focus zx3 owners about how well their car has held up. I am planning on ordering my ZX5 ASAP..."

I'm glad to see you've already found your way over to our Ford Focus ZX5 discussion. For feedback on the ZX3, here's a direct link to our ongoing Ford Focus ZX3 discussion. While you're there, look for links to other related ZX3 discussions/articles on the left hand side of page.

Also, you may be interested in reading Edmunds' Long Term Road Test of the 2000 Ford Focus ZX3. Hope this is helpful. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your new purchase! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
  • ejayvejayv Posts: 4
    What's up everyone? Well, I'll be buying a brand new 2001 VW Golf GLS 1.8T on Tuesday. Can't wait to get it. Couldn't stand my 98 Honda Civic anymore. Not fun enough to drive for me. I'll be out and about looking to hear from everyone especially the owners of my soon to be new car. Take care and see you around.
    "Well, I'll be buying a brand new 2001 VW Golf GLS 1.8T on Tuesday."

That's great! We look forward to hearing about your VW Golf purchase/ownership exerience.... Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host

• hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    My trusty old '95 Geo Metro 3-cylinder is still running great as my commuter car. Other than the fact that it eats exhaust systems (on its 3rd muffler and 2nd cat) it has been a problem-free car that has never once left me stranded. With gas prices going up and down all the time, it is nice to have the great milage. I drive the 5-speed hard and it still gets well over 50mpg after all these years.

I don't like trunks so my wife and I recently bought a Saturn LW200 with the arrival of our first born this year but the Metro 3-door hatchback lives on!

I just put new Michelin Rainforce MX4 tires on it and it is now better in many ways than when it was new. Why did I live with the OEM Goodyear Invictas for so long???

Harry
    And thanks for sharing your story.... Glad to hear your 95 Geo Metro has been serving you well. I see you've also found your way to our ongoing Geo Metro discussion. Happy motoring, and see ya around Town Hall! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
  • I HAVE ALWAYS DRIVEN A HATCHBACK VEHICLE AND HAVE DRIVEN FOR THE LAST 9 YEARS AN INTEGRA. I REALLY WAS VERY HAPPY UNTIL I DROVE THE NEW RSX. I WAS EXTREMELY IMPRESSED WITH ITS HANDING, BRAKING, ACCELERATION, ROOMINESS, AND NEW FEATURES. I AM A VERY HAPPY OWNER AND THE PRICE WAS WITHIN REASON. I SOLD MY 92 FOR A VERY GOOD PRICE AS WELL.

MY 92 INTEGRA HANDLED GREAT IN THE WINTER. I AM SURE THE NEW RSX WILL BE BETTER WITH ITS BIGGER TIRES. IT IS ALSO HEAVIER THAN THE INTEGRA AND THAT WILL HELP IN BETTER HANDLING IN THE WINTER AS WELL.
  • And glad to hear you're enjoying your new Acura RSX! Here's a direct link to our onging our Acura RSX discussion, where you can share notes with other RSX owners and enthusiasts. In addition, you may also find some interesting discussions in our Town Hall Women's Auto Center.

Thanks for your participation. See you around Town Hall! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host