Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hatchback participants, introduce yourself here!

Comments

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Abundant good wishes for happiness and joy this holiday season... and throughout the coming year! Thanks for your participation on this message board. Happy motoring, and drive safely. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    I'm looking to get a new 2002 Golf GLS TDI sometime in Late January-early February.

Current I drive a 3-box Camry
  • Hi, I'm a very satisfied owner of a 1999 civic hatchback. I love my car, but I'm planning a move out to Colorado this summer and I'm worried that it won't handle to well in the snow. So, I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction to get my question answered. Thanks!

Abby
    Hi 8u6hfd- You may want to stop by our ongoing VW Golf discussion to share notes with other Golf owner and shoppers. Good luck with your purchase. We look forward to seeing you around the Hatchbacks Message Board. ;-)

Hi valdelievre - Glad to hear your Civic is serving you well. Here's a direct link to one of the ongoing Honda Civic discussions on this message board. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message. Btw, in that discussion, you'll also find a direct link to our Honda Civic Owner's Club... which will lead you to many other Civic discussions throughout Town Hall. Good luck. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • Hello,
    My name's Mark. I used to own a '79 Plymouth Champ w/ 1.6 L and 8 on the floor. Yeah, you know one of those oddities w/ the split rear axle so every gear had an overdrive. Cool concept but not real practical for the lower gears. Anyway, it got too small for our family and I needed cash so this mechanic who had worked on the car once, when he saw it in the paper, scarfed it up. I often wonder if I should have sold it.

My son owned a 1982 Saab Turbo. Real sharp looking car and rolled straight cruising at high speed. But someone installed the engine in backwards in that car, which made it a joke to change the alternator. We gave up.

I now own a 1995 VW Golf GL std. 5 spd. This is not your pappy's VW. Great car around town and on the highway. I gave it to my wife to make up for the '63 VW bug I sold out from under her which she never forgave me for.
  • I love small hatchbacks (have a 1990 honda civic hatch) and am currently trying to decide between getting a VW Golf GTI or a Honda civic EX. This site seems a good place to look at. All opinions welcome.
    Here's a direct link to our VW Golf or Honda Civic discussion. I just moved it back to this board from our Archived folder. Hope this is helpful.

In addition, you may also want to check out our Volkswagen Golf and Honda Civic discussions. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message. Good luck with your decision. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • risa5risa5 Posts: 23
    Hi everyone. I didn't realize until just recently that I've never owned anything other than a hatchback. My first car was a then-new 1991 Honda Civic DX. That got me through university; then, it went to my younger brothers while I took public transit to work because that was more convenient. When I moved away from home in 1998, I left the car with my brothers. One of them pretty much trashed the car already at that point anyway. I bought a 1989 Plymouth Sundance for $1400 since I was a poor graduate student at that point. That car got rear-ended a year later, written off and the other driver's insurance company gave me $2000. I used that money to buy a 1987 VW Scirocco. These three cars all served me well from getting stranded cyclist friends get themselves and their bikes home to taking my car-ride-loving dogs out for a fun cruise. I'm no longer a starving grad student and I'm in the market for a new car. I briefly considered getting a mini-SUV, but I'm sticking to a hatchback and buying an Elantra GT.
    and thanks for sharing your story. Also, glad to see you've found your way over to our ongoing Elantra GT discussion where you can share notes with other owners and shoppers. Good luck with your purchase.

Btw, being a long time hatchback owner, you may also appreciate these discussions: What do you like about hatchbacks? and How Much Stuff Can Your Hatchback Hold?. I look forward to seeing you around the Hatchback Message Board. Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • jesljesl Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, Thank you everyone for posting your messages here. My wife and I just brought a 2002 Hyundai Elantra GT. We did a lot of looking around and a lot of test drives in different cars. This message board helped BIG time in choosing this car. Thanks again
    and congrats on your new 2002 Elantra GT! May it serve you well for many years to come. Btw, have you had a chance to check out our Hyundai Elantra Owner's Club? While you're there, perhaps take a moment to say hello in our Meet the Members discussion. We look forward to hearing about your ownership experience. Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • klynfklynf Posts: 1
    Hi! I'm new to this message board and also new to buying cars! I am a college student (almost ready to graduate) and am looking into buying my first car. I am currently driving a Pontiac Grand Am that my parents decided to lease for me, but my lease ends in a few months. I've been going to car dealers and researching online to find a good reliable, long-lasting car that can move me from PA to CA (undergrad to grad school.....quite a move!). I'm also not going to have any money to replace whatever I buy for many, many years (I'm going for a Ph.D...8 years in school and not making any $$$). So I went to the VW dealer and test drove a Passat, Jetta, and a Golf. I think they had to pry me from the Golf, I loved it so much! I never thought of myself as a hatchback driver, but this car was great! I am now trying to sell the car on my parents (they are helping my make the initial payment, so they are giving their opinions freely). They want me driving a nice and large, safe, family-sized car like an Accord, so when I said "Golf" they were less than thrilled. If anyone has any info or experience with namely the reliability, safety, longevity, and cargo capacity of these cars, please send it my way! Thanks a lot!
    klynf@hotmail.com
    and thanks for your introduction. You'll find lots of information (i.e. cargo capacity, crash test score, and etc.) on the VW Golf in Edmunds' New and Used Vehicle guides. Look for direct links at the top of this page.

Also, you can learn a lot by participating in our discussions. Please feel free to post any questions in our ongoing VW Golf discussion. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
  • Hi - I'm here because my Integra GS-R was stolen so I'm shopping for a new car. So far hatchbacks are appealing to me the most - Protege5, Matrix, Vibe - so I'm spending most of my research time here. The idea of having something that's fun and yet flexible and useful is very appealing. Thanks to everyone for so many informative posts!

Oh, and to everyone who has an Integra - keep yours safe! Since the theft I've discovered the Integra is very attractive to thieves. Wish I'd known that before.
    and sorry to hear about your Integra. Good luck in finding a new vehicle, and please keep us posted on what you decide. Happy shopping.

Revka
    Host
  • hjr2hjr2 Posts: 105
    i have owned(or co-owned with spouse) 77 camaro, 87 spectrum,90 sentra xe,97 200sx,99sonata gls-v6,01 tiburon.

the tibby is the hatchback. Nice for large and odd shaped boxes, vs normal trunk. I like the GT elantra, but will have to wait about 2 1/2 more years. Like our Sonata, but would like to trade for GT, more versatile and better mpg and less expensive.

would like to see the Mini, when I can. I will need to drive 90 miles to see one, when dealerships open up next month.
  • hjr2hjr2 Posts: 105
    hey, is this the same Volfy that used to post on the hyundai connection website about 6-8 months ago?
    and thanks for your introduction. Glad to see you've had a chance to stop by a few of the discussions on this board. Feel free to also join us in our ongoing Tiburon Owners discussion. See you around Town Hall! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • i'm considering buying a ford focus zx3 and have appreciated what I could read on these message boards. definitely has cleared up most of my confusion about car buying. thanks.
    For a supplement of American Lawyer magazine, we are looking for lawyers (any age, sex, kind of car) who are car nuts. Please respond by March 9 to Lorraine Dusky at lordusky@aol.com

Any questions? Contact Edmunds.com PR at jfallon@edmunds.com

Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host