Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus vs. VW GTI

jw20jw20 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Ford
Hey All,

I don't know what to get, yet. I'm leaning towards the VW, but am a little hesitant. I can go crazy on the VW and spend $21k, or go crazy on the Focus and spend $16k. Since money is an issue, the extra $5k is a serious consideration.

All GTI owners seem to be *very* happy with their cars. I hear a common complaint about the Golf burning lots of oil. I'm thinking that the same is true with the GTI, anybody know? If so, than spending an extra $5k on a car that has problems immediately might now be the smartest thing to do. I haven;t heard too much about the normal wear and tear of the Focus, but I know some previous Ford owners, and they're always upset about their car.

I've been in a Focus and was satisfied, but if I shelling out $$$$ for a car, I want to be stoked.

Any advice for a first time buyer would help.

thanks, j

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The Golf burning oil problem you mentioned has to do with the 2.0 liter base engine that is no longer offered in the GTI. I have not heard any complaints about burning oil in the 1.8 turbo or the VR6. I own the original GTI, an 84 Rabbit GTI. Awesome car, can't bring myself to get rid of it even though I have a new car. Around 200,000 miles and it still runs perfect. It doesn't burn any oil and it always starts first time. The body is in great shape considering its 16 years old and was only a 9K car in its day. The original AC compressor still works too! The money difference is a clincher. The Focus is a nice car, but they have had a lot of quality problems that I don't know whether they have worked out or not. It basically comes down to whether you are willing to spend the extra 5K for the added luxury and performance of the GTI. The Focus's 130 horse engine is only average in its pep whereas the GTI's turbo is quite fast. The GTI's interior is much more luxurious and upscale. GTI owners are a rare breed. They trully love their cars and for good reason. You won't understand till you drive one and become connected to the car. If you can afford it, I say go for the GTI.
  • jw20jw20 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the follow up. the GTI is a bit more expensive, but in the long run i think that's the car that i'd like to put over 200k on. I got a beatup 89 integra (150k) that is almost dead.. hopefully it'll surive long enuff to get me to the dealer.
  • playathug21playathug21 Member Posts: 20
    when u ask such a question it really depends on what u want from the car. if u want to mod (like me) and race, those 5k sure are sweet to spend on engine/suspension/anything and itll beat any GTI that has spent the same amount. however, i highly doubt thats what u want. plus, so far i have not heard of any focus reliability problems (check edmunds long term fleet for the ZX3) and so far no maintenance problems.

just my 2 cents (or less)
This discussion has been closed.