Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado Problems

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    6 months and only 4K miles?

you better get out and drive that thing haha

Ryan
  • dch0300dch0300 Posts: 472
    I know I know. I only need to drive 3 miles to work so the miles aren't adding up very fast.

We've got a family vacation trip planned this July.
    Going to take "the truck" to Montana to visit my parents.
    About a 600 mile trip one-way.
    I'll finally be able to see what this truck will get for gas mileage on the highway!!
    The speed limit in Washington is 70 mph and I think it is the same in Idaho too. The posted speed limit in Montana is 75 mph now instead of like it used to be "Reasonable and Prudent". But with the wife, a 4 year old son, and a 1 year old daughter onboard, I'll have to keep it under 80 mph.

It is definitely not flat country. I've got 4 passes to go over and they range from 3,000 feet to 6,450 feet. So that will impact gas mileage a little.

We usually take the 1997 Saturn SW2 wagon. It is a little under powered when it comes to going over the passes with the AC on. Shouldn't have that problem this year!

-David
    Under 80?

Ive had mine at 80+ a few times doesnt even feel like your going fast (especially when i was getting passed)

Ryan
    I agree, these trucks don't feel like they are going as fast are the speedometer shows.

Gotta think about the family thought my friend.
    I'm not worried about my driving abilities, I'm worried about those other vacation drivers and all the deer and elk that tend to wonder onto the highway. The more the speed the longer the slowing down distance or stopping distance.
    I've made this trip probably 20 times, lots of carcasses along the road.
    Ever seen what a vehicle doing 80+ mph looks like after hitting an elk?
    Not a pretty sight. Not even sure the guard that you have on the front of your truck will help much. Some of those things stand 6' at the shoulder.
    And besides....it's a vacation.

-David
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Posts: 387
    Still no problems with your Rado eh? That is great to hear. You should post that on some of the Tundra topics... LOL

My only real complaint so far is the annoying squeak I have inside the cab behind the drivers seat. Can seem to figure it out! Obviously my deaf local dealership can't as well! LOL Looks like I gotta figure this one out myself!

Jim
  • blair223blair223 Posts: 20
    Check the upper latch on the rear door. Put white grease on the U shaped metal loop on the cab body. I had rub marks on the stationary part of the latch and greasing it and the loop, stoped the squeak (for now).
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Posts: 1,000
    just dropped off the truck for the snap crackle pop sound that i think we both share. this time was a first. the shop foreman went about 30', and snickered, said it is from the cab mount insulator that has shrunk, and the cab bolts have known to cause this problem by either rubbing into the cab housing, or just not hold their torque setting. i'll get the truck back tomorrow, and i'll update what i find out.

-
    squeaks were non existant in both of my trucks until the '00 hit around 9,000 miles and was 6 months old. after lubing the weather stripping with silicone grease, all was quiet. tried grease on the latches, but it made no difference. the '01 is just starting to shows signs of needing lube, but as it states in the owners manual, lubing the weather strip is part of normal maintenance.
    Well, my '01 has just a little over 4,000 miles on it and turns 6 months old in a few day. So I hope I'm not just lucky, but that the truck is actually built well. The only rattle that I had was caused by the extra coins that I keep in the ash tray. Fixed that by lining the ash tray with adhesive backed felt. Otherwise it's been rattle & squeak free since day 1.
    BTW, I have great hearing too.
    Lube the weather stripping? I'd better go read my owners manual.

-David
    truck is 1 yr and 2 months old makes it 14 months old never lubed the weatherstripping

No squeeks either
    that i live in as well. plus the fact that i washed the truck to death at first. all i know is that after lubing, mine was quiet again. i do see added parts on my '01 though that are not present on the '00.
    -
    david, in the owners manual you'll find it on the page that lists what to use for maintenance, and hopefully you don't experience any squeaks and rattles. that's the way it should be though. i like the ashtray trick, thanks for the idea.
    thanks for the math lesson, up till now, i never knew how old i was......
  • wpadgettwpadgett Posts: 5
    I am thinking about puchasing a 99 z71 ext. cab the truck has 55,000 miles and seems to be very clean, the main question I have is there is a noise when I accelerate from a stopped position or at a low speed. Seems to be coming from the rear of the truck. Sounds like a bushing or bearing, if anybody has had this problem or has heard anything about it I sure would appreciate some help.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Would really help us to help you if you could describe this noise. I understand that it sounds like a bushing or bearing but doing what? grinding, popping, crunching, clanging....well you get the drift....
    it's kinda hard to describe but it sorta sounds like tim the tool man taylors' grunt only with a little higher pitch, I also heard this noise on a quick stop at 5mph hard braking. The dealer let me drive a 2000 model and it had the same noise only alot less noticeable. he said he took the truck to his mechanic for the noise and he couldn't find anything wrong with the drivetrain or anything else,there was fresh white lithium grease on the leaf springs, spring stops etc. I basically jumped up and down in the bed and didn't notice any noise. it doesn't make the noise in reverse only in drive and when braking, but not as loud when braking, I'm wondering about
    possible bushing noise from the stabilizer arms(between the axlehousing and frame) dont want to get involved with any drivetrain problems
    I need to change the description of that sound not his grunt but more like the oouu sound that tim is also famous for.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Posts: 2,728
    I still don't know that "oouu" noise, but wonder if it isn't the driveline honk. There is a fix, lubing the driveshaft splines and replacing the transfer case lubricant with GM's blue goo. Your dealer should know about this. There is a tsb out on this subject.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Is that similar to the sound that Wile E. Coyote makes? As what Quad said, the only problem that occurs on ACCELERATION and BRAKING would be the driveline clunk as described in Bulletin No.: 99-04-20-002 issued in 12/99.

Course there was another clunk from the rear springs but it had nothing to do with forward or stopping motion but rather clunking when passing over rough surfaces caused by the rear leaf springs.
  • svoma123svoma123 Posts: 33
    of a problem with the throttle body sticking in the new 2001's? A service person at the dealer was talking about this. Said it was happening on an awful lot of them. Said you can tell if you very lightly touch the gas.
    99's and 00's have that problem and there is a TSB out for its fix
  • svoma123svoma123 Posts: 33
    I have 01 rado that is experiencing that problem, I guess I will just add that to the list of things to get fixed in the future. So far it is up to: windsheild wipers make a whinny noise, weather striping is peeling off, power seat for driver makes all kinds of noises, and now the throttle body thing. It is all just little things so I dont worry to much. I will wait to fix the seat till around the end of the warranty so I can have a new seat hopefully!!!
This discussion has been closed.