Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
I am considering buying an XJ series Jag - say from 1995 to 1998.
(1) What advice can you give me ? XJ6 or XJ8 ?
Models to avoid ? What mileage range would be advisable ?
(2) What about the "unreliablility" of Jags - true or false for these model years ?
(3) What extended warrenty is best among those available ?
(4) Any other advice to someone "new to Jag" ?

Thanks! CC

Comments

• rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    XJ6 or XJ8? My personal preference is V-8's on any car, but the I-6 is a good engine, and is favored by many because it's the last "true Jaguar" engine. If it doesn't bother you that your Jag engine has the same block as a Ford Taurus, go with the V-8. Also, the V-8 models will be slightly newer than the I-6's, which is always a plus. OTOH, the I-6's can be had slightly cheaper than a V-8. decisions, decisions, decisions.

"Unreliability of Jags?" Corrected in the early 90's by Ford. No need to worry on newer cars.

"Extended warranty" Sorry, no idea in this dept.

Any other advice for new Jag owner? Yup. www.jag-lovers.org Will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about these cars. Just be sure you look under the "Modern" section and not the "XJ" section, because the "XJ" only covers cars made in 1987 and earlier.
  • arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    In case you didn't see my post in the high end luxury catagory, or missed it because ljflx has decided to prove me wrong, here is what I said:

Personally, I would opt for the XJ6. There wasn't a huge improvement switching from the I6 to the V8. To compare, the I6 had 245 bhp, and 289 ft.lb. of torque. The V8 has 290 bhp, and 290 ft.lb. of torque. So, in day to day driving, where torque is more important, they are equal.

The body styles are nearly identical, the XJ6's will be cheaper, interiors almost the same (I prefer the XJ6 interior design to the XJ8 actually). The XJ8's will come with more standard equipment, but any Jag buyer would load it to the gills anyway.

We got our XJ6 used, as you will, and it had the "Select Jaguar Warranty" I think it's called. It's whatever Jaguar gives to it's used cars, that's the name. And it pretty much covers everything.

I would say go for a 1996-97 XJ6. It's always better not to buy the first year of a car. I would also say to go for the Vanden Plas, as the rear-seat room in the standard wheelbase is pitiful.

As for the reliability problems, Ford had owned Jaguar for a number of years when these models came out, and they worked out most of the bugs.

They are great cars to buy used. The mileage isn't really an issue, since the engines are engineered to high standards. I'd say somewhere in the 60,000m range.

I think you will be happy with either an XJ6 or an XJ8, but I would advise to go for the XJ6. Better fuel economy, and not much of a difference from the V8. Good luck.

A.R.
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    what about the XJR before they switched to a V-8 (I think starting in 1998) Are these supercharged I-6's reliabile? Does the drive train hold up to the torque? I see pretty fair prices on 96 and 97 XJR's on autotrader.com. Finally are any of these Rear drive jags good in the snow? I don't know why I worry about such things. I'm just spoiled with the AWD cars we have now. In high school I had a 71 Plymouth with semi-bald 50 series tires which got me through Montana winters. Then again it never really mattered if I got where I was going!
  • jarmstrong2jarmstrong2 Member Posts: 38
    I have tried several times to pull up www.jag-lovers.org wit no success. Could you check for the correct address.
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    I've always liked the styling of the 95 to present XJ sedans and the previous version(88?-94) were pretty sharp too. One thing, I don't like what they did to the instrument panel on the 98s. I know it mimics the XK8, but it just doesn't look as nice in a large sedan like the earlier ones did. The idea of a classy looking Jag with a V8(even if it is Ford based) is tempting though. BTW, from 95-97 Ford owned Jaguar used Cadillac transmissions(4L80E). I think they have switched to ZF 5 speed units on later models.
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Be ye not afraid of the 6cyl Jaguar. That engine powered my 1975 XJ6L over 160K miles without a falter. After touring the assembly plant in England in 1989 (they were building the XJ40 series) and seeing the personal pride their craftspeople took in the product it was gratifying to own one. The XJ6 engine not only powered cars but military tanks and reconnaisance aircraft...one tough engine. Just make sure that whatever you purchase have it gone over by a reputable Jaguar shop..it's worth the expense.
    Okay, I have jag-lovers website up, and I'm copying & pasting thw url exactly as it appears in the address bar.

http://www.jag-lovers.org/

Hope this helps.

I agree that the instrument panel in the 1995-1997 Jaguar XJ's is much nicer. The new one, is set in 3 different wooden holes. I prefer just a simple, common area for all of the car functions to be displayed in.

I think that an XJR with the I6 would be a great car. I don't know too much about them, but if I were going to buy a regular wheelbase Jaguar again, I think I would go for an XJR, because otherwise there is no advantage on a standard Jag over a VDP.

As for winters, as long as you get a car equipped with traction control and/or limited slip differential, it should be as good as any other RWD car.~ A.R.
  • shehzadshehzad Member Posts: 52
    Like Arcoates, I also posted in the High end luxury forum w/ A8/XJ8 etc (#644)forum about my XJ8. I suppose much of the stuff ie which engine is better or is the dashboard nicer etc is very subjective. It really depends on what you want and what you prefer. I do have one thing to add though, about the XJ's ability in the snow. I live in Northern VA, where, if it snows about 1/2 inch, everything closes down-if it snows 3 inches, we're closed for a couple of days. That said, there is no doubt that we (myself included) are not the best drivers inthe snow. During any snowstorm, the Jag stays in the garage. Although mine has traction control as well, the car, in addition to being rear wheel drive is very heavy in the back, and the rear has an acute tendency to slip. Usually, the traction control get's to the wheels b/f they slip, but for me, it's a very uncomfortable feeling, and I usually take one of my other cars. Now, this could be attributed to my unease in driving in the snow or to the car itself, but most of my other colleagues that have jags don't end up bringing their jags to work in the snow either.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Yeah, I think there are about 130 drivers on I95 this afternoon who have to agree with you!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Shehzad, if you have been to the high-end luxury model board lately, you will notice that I am no longer a contributer because I could not take some people's bad attitudes towards me. I find comfort in knowing that we can have two different opinions on which car we prefer, and not get hostile. I just got so fed up with one particular person who would not get off my back. It's refreshing to see that not everyone who is a contributer is that rude.

On the snow opinions- I entirely agree that the Jaguar should not be driven in the snow. My thoughts were just that the Jaguar would do as well as any other RWD sedan in the snow. But I never take it out, even in the winter. I live in Canada, where we have snow for about 4 months of the year. And most of the time, we get a lot of snow. The Jaguar is parked from mid-november to about mid-april. I just find that the body rusts easily, even when it is just exposed to the rain. So, if you are planning on buying a Jaguar christchurch, whether it be the XJ8 or XJ6, try to keep it out of the snow- it will last much longer that way.

But, I think we can all agree that a used Jaguar is a great investment. Your money will be very well spent. Good luck~ A.R.
  • christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
    Thanks for joining me at my XJ Series Jaguar initiated site.
    I thought we needed a special place to all enjoy the special character and peculiarities of these "felines" !

I appreciate your adding additional comments in response to mine on the "high end luxury site" to our discussion of Jaguar motorcars from which I transferred here my response.

I tend to agree with you that the XJ8 is probably an improvement over the "the old workhorse" engine of the XJ6, but may be more a matter of taste (dashboard configuration, etc., engine hp, etc.).

The safety issue is always one for me. I do think that the addition of side air bags increases ones protection in what is an otherwise quite safe vehicle.

Thanks for confirming the reliability of the Jag.
    In the public mind this seems to be a caveat from which many run.

One further note, you say you drive them "till they collapse".
    Have you ever purchased an "extended warrenty" to cover what could be costly repairs?
    If so, what company have you found provided the best coverage and was the most reliable?

Any other purchase or ownership advice ?

Thanks, christchurch
    Jaguar and Rolls/Bentley are the only cars left with their own personality these days. The rest are either copiers, or so teutonic that it almost is boring.

Jag and Rolls/Bentley have always done things their own way. The pros cut up Jaguar for it's quirky ergonomics, but I like it that they have not conformed to the norm. There is no comparison to the woods they use. Even though Mercedes wood may be real, it looks so fake.

I absolutely love Jaguar. I am hooked! I hope we will be able to tell out various experiences on here in the posts to come!~ A.R.
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    I honestly think that you might be better off in the long term buying a V8. Designed and built exclusivly for Jag by the way. The design actually predates the ford buyout. It is detuned and loaned to ford without the cosworth heads and variable valve timing for use in LS lincons and T-bird's and has nothing to do with Tauruses (Tauri?). Than the supercharged six. If you are looking for an extended warrenty buy a certified car from a Jag dealer with the Jag warrenty and 5.9% financing.
    I'm with you on Jaguar personality. Sure their interiors are a bit cramped for their size and ergonomics are not always first rate, but their cars are unique. It's almost like they intentionally run in the face of convention. And I like that in a car. I'd personally be happy with a 93 or newer XJ sedan. 93 is the break point because prior to that, Jaguar actually had those stupid automatic seat belts which were a total disgrace on a car like! The 95 redo looks the best though.
    The only Jaguar that has an engine related to a Tauri's is the S-type V6.
    I have always thought that the Jag is the best of in the "touring car" category.

Others describe their cars like the BMW / Benz / Lexus / etc. as "drivers cars". They share the taut steering, tight (read rough) riding suspensions, rocket like acceleration, etc. Motor magazines and "techno" types continue to try to convince the public on these "standards" as the norm.

Because Jags still preserve the "luxurious" ride and refined traditional elegance they are judged to be "not with it". That is,what they mean is. that they are not Germanic enough.

Personally, I am happy to enjoy a "touring car" with its gentle and wonderfully smooth ride. I can leave behind the jarring, stiff ride of what has been labeled as "the new standard". When I drive a car conforming to these this "standard" it seems like driving a "Fred Flintstone car... one with stone wheels"!

No thanks. I will take a Jag and enjoy a luxurious ride all the way past the competition and not need a chiropractor at the end of the journey!

For me Jags preserve the historic driving expierence...codeld while srouronded with burled walnut and coney leathers. I know of no better way to enjoy motoring?

Keep XJ's coming our to our shores....they only get better !
    christchurch
  • warzone2100200warzone2100200 Member Posts: 4
    how fast do the 1997 xj6 Jaguar go is it 85 or 120 or 135. if you no email me or post it. my email is [email protected]
    I thought that the V-8 put in SHO Tauruses had the same block, different heads, cranks, pistons, ect, than the Jaguar engine. Personally, I wouldn't care if they took the Engine out of the Toyota Sequoia, I think it's a gorgeous car, and as long as the performance is there, I don't care what powerplant generates it.
    I know that this board is for XJ6 cars but don't turn down a good '94 or '95 XJ12 just because of the extra six cylinders. If properly cared for the 12's are just as dependable as the 6's. Had a neighbor who had a '94 12cyl and a new Cadillac with the Northstar engine. Guess which one gave her the most trouble? Hers was the standard XJ12L but not the Van den Plas. This was in 1999. The Jaguar was her deceased husband's car. The Cadillac had to be towed out of the garage on 6 or more occasions and she followed it to the dealership with the Jaguar. We chatted frequently and she drove out to her sister's in Spokane from suburban Detroit with the Jaguar instead of the Cadillac. She felt that it was the more dependable of the two. Except for using a ton of gas, the car was trouble free both ways.
    Thanks, netranger 4.

These are great stories proving once again that there are a lot of people who have had very positive expierence with the "Cat" !

It must have humbled the caddie dealer to see her pull in "six or more times" in her Jag following behind a tow truck with the caddie dangling !
    Wonder why people "don't get the picture"?

Keep the Jag lore coming our way.
    christchurch
    Unfortunately, it's easier to earn a bad reputation for yourself than build a good one. All of the unreliable Jags of the 70's and 80's are still haunting the company today, and it will take a while for their newfound dependability to win over disgruntled former owners left on the side of the road one too many times by an overheated V-12. FWIW, IMHO, (my the abbreviations!), if I were going to go for an XJ12, I'd get the 95 over the 94. The 95's a thousand times better looking than the 1994.
    The Jag V8 and SHO V8 are totally different. The SHO V8 is actually a Yamaha engine just like the SHO V6 was.
  • firesunfiresun Member Posts: 2
    are the 1995-1997 Vanden Plas as long as the 1997 XJ6L, which is 5 in. longer then the regular XJ6?
    Yes, the XJ6L is the same length as the VDP. The difference is standard equipment levels, and those cool aeroplane style picnic tables in the VDP.~ A.R.
    In my opinion, I prefer and would only buy the VDP or the L series for the reason that the back seat leg room in the XJ6 is miniscual at best.
    These JAGS are really one or two passenger drivers cars since the back seat leg room is very cramped. A passengers legs are humped up and are therefore without support of the rear seat which is low to begin with.
    In other words, if you are going to have passengers opt only for the VDP or L series. The 5+/- inches makes rear seat occupants appreciate the ride and Jaguar style. Without it, anticipate stiff legs and ornery passengers, particularly on a journey of any length.

It is time to stretch the legs !
    christchurch
    You are so correct. Ours is a standard wheelbase. It is so cramped in the back for the kids. Go for the long wheelbase unless you are getting an XJR. That is the only reason to stick with the standard.

Or go for a coupe- about the same rear leg room!~ A.R.
    Incidently, I am still interested in extended warranties.
    Once out of warranty, I think some repair cost protection is in order.
    I know that you indicated that the Jaguar dealer's warrenty is great. But, what if you didn't buy through them ? Can you still do so?

All cars are expensive to repair JAGS being no exception and particuallry at dealerships. Luckily, a good "back ally" mechanic can also work with warranties.

Has anyone had experience with them?
    I hear frightful stories about endless hassles, unpaid bills, denied claims, argumentative "customer reps.", and so on and so on.

If you have had an extended warrenty with your JAG or know of someone who has, let me know.
    What are the pros and cons ?
    What companies are the most reliable?
    Got any ideas on these questions?

Happy "Jagin" !
    christchurch
  • byolahcusbyolahcus Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at XJ6's and XJ8's. My mechanic told me the XJ8's have a history of engine problems, mainly having to do with valves. I haven't seen anything on that topic in the current comments.

By the way, there is a company in Dallas called Texas Mustang Sales that sells used Jaguars at wholesale prices to the public. See www.texas-cars.com. The prices are $6K - $8K lower than the local dealerships.

Dan
    From what I've heard, the midsize S-Type has better rear legroom than the larger XJ short wheelbase. If it were me, I'd avoid an XJR unless I was going to get one new. I'd apply that logic to *any* supercharged car, not just the Jag, mainly because people who buy supercharged cars want the extra power, and then make full use of it by driving the car harder.
    I have been told by several mechanics that XJ8 did not have major engine problems to speak of.
    The Texas Cars Direct in Dallas has the best prices on wholesale cars. I was watching their website for weeks until my wife decided on what color she wanted. But as I was watching the Houston paper ads, a 1998 VDP Jag with 40k miles was listed as the same price as Texas Cars Direct.
    The price was right and the car was immaculate.
    So I now have a 98 JAg VDP white/tan. We have put around 300 miles on it and I can't believe the car. Jags were always noted for speed but the 290 hp flys. We love this car. After several Lexus. and a 420SEL BENZ we decided on a Jag. I am sure glad we did. I bought an extended warranty up to 100k miles. We bought the car from AutoPlex in Houston from Mike Roa. He gets immaculate used Jags in from time to time at a fair wholesale price. You might give him a call. I have heard also that Texas cars direct in Dallas was also good.
    Here are two examples: 1972 XJ12 Standard Length owned by couple in Ohio. 336,000 miles and just getting ready for 1st overhaul. 1974 XJ6L 210,000 miles not ready for overhaul yet. Both of these cars were serviced by a Jaguar shop (not a dealer) from new. How's that for service?
  • warzone2100200warzone2100200 Member Posts: 4
    how fast do the 2001 xj6 Jaguar go is it 85 or 120 or 135. if you no email me or post it. my email is [email protected]
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    Just a minor correction. There is no such thing as a 2001 XJ6. It has been the XJ8 since 1998 and is electronically limited to 155MPH. Which is faster than anyone should be driving this side of Bonneville or Germany
    A cars top speed doesn't really factor into my choices anymore. There is no where this side of the pond that you can get your car up to that speeds. As long as it has good 0-60 times, or even 0-30times, that's where most of your time is spent. So look at Jaguars for their great handling, good low-end power, unparalleled styling, gorgous interiors and overall fantastic package. But if you really must have a car with a high top-speed, then Jaguars can go there, and will be extremely stable!~ A.R.
    I found your note very interesting.

I note that you indicated that you bought a warranty with the car.
    May I inquire regarding the following?
    What mileage was on the car when you bought it?
    Who recommended the warranty and/or what was your consideration in selecting it?
    What company supplied it?
    Also, if you care to share it, I'm curious as to what you paid for it.
    Your warranty advice would be appreciated as I am in the market for the same.

I congratulate you for joining "the ranks".
    It sounds as though you bought right and that the car is "show room" in condition.
    You will have many years of great pleasure. You will find, in addition, that there will be all sorts of people who will inquire of you about your car. These "cats" have a seductive affect on those who admire elegant styling. Soon you will be a promoter of Jaguar automobiles and will, thereby, gather many interesting stories.

While Lexus and Benz (which I have owned and driven for years) are quite fine automobiles in there own right, there is a special charachter....a personality... that is only found with Jaguar. There is a tireless quality in store for those who drive a JAG. The Jaguar is quite extordinary, a very special "touring" car, indeed !

christchurch
    If speed and grace is what you want in your cat, look no further than an XJR.
    The 98 VDP Jag that I purchased had 47K miles on it. The dealer offered an extended 100K warranty for the car. It was $1900.00. So for 2K I got an extended warranty that is transferable if I sell the car. The name of the warranty is Heritage. If anyone has heard of this company either pro or con please let me know. The warranty from the Jag dealer was 2800.00. But with this warranty I can go to any Jag repair shop for repairs. Not just a Jag dealer which are few and far between. Seems like a good deal to me. I guess I will see if this is true or not.
    My consideration when I bought it was that I wanted to be covered for any major problem. Engine, Trans, drive train, etc. I would hate to come out of pocket for a complete engine overhaul.
    When I bought my '75 XJ6L the salesman, and older British gentleman gave me a pamphlet which he had produced based on his years as Jaguar salesperson. He said "If you will follow this pamphlet religiously the car will last as long as you care to drive it". One of the admonitions was never ever let the car go low on coolant or motor oil..keep both topped up all the time. After 23yrs of ownership following his instructions amazingly he was absolutely correct.
    That is actually good advice for ANY car as low oil and coolant levels can ruin an engine.
    Your "older British gentleman's advice" sounds interesting.
    Could you reproduce the pamphlet for us on the web?
    I am sure we would all benefit from such, apparently, sage advice.

Appreciativly,
    christchurch
    Thanks for the discussion and warranty information.
    I havn't heard of the company that you mentioned.
    I am wondering which companies you checked into and what you decided regarding each.
    I am in the market for a warranty and there is so much discussion owe way or the other.

(1) I would appreciate anyone helping with these decisions regarding warranties and reliable companies.

(2) Does the XJR have the lengthened wheelbase or is just the L. designated XJ series and VDP 1995 and newer?

(3) Has anyone had any expierence with "on line" JAG buying?

Happy motoring... christchurch
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,464
    Because my wife and I were in an accident which totalled our XK8 but not us, we bought a new one to replace it. Our new one has an adaptive restraint system (called ARTS) which modulates the deployment of the air bags based on occupant weight, seat belt usage, and position. Since the air bags in our car inflicted our only injuries, we consider this a great innovation. Does anyone know if Jaguar plans to put it in the XJ sedans (or even the S-type)?

While I'm here, if anyone really wants the supercharged engine but needs a long wheelbase, Jag now offers a supercharged Vanden Plas. It is a beautiful and evilly fast car, but bring money (83K or so).

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Jaguar has excellent safety profiles. This is obviously confirmed by your tragic accident but fortunate in its outcome.

The latest news "on the street" is that the current xj series will be replaced in , I believe, 2002-2003. This new xj is being designed with very innovative safety considerations (perhaps, on the example of the Volvo (also, owned by Ford and to which its design team has input).

In any case, the safety ratings on the current xj series are among the best in the industry.

Safe Motoring !
    christchurch
    The XJR is on the short wheelbase, but you can now get the VDP with the 370 hp supercharged engine, and it is just as quick as the XJR, with the longer wheelbase.~ A.R.
    Will dig amongst my paperwork to see if I still have the pamphlet. I sold the car in 1998 and I may have given the pamphlet to the new owner along with the other papers. However, I still remember 98% of the instructions from doing it daily, weekly, monthly etc. for all those years. The 2% that I may not be able to remember may be covered by the owners manual itself.
    Haven't found the pamphlet yet, but will keep looking.
    I appreciate your looking deep into the "archives".
    "Old gentlemen" often have sage advice. So, if you can find the "treasure" deep in the trove, pass it along to us so that we can be mentored thereby.
    In anticipation of the "find".
    christchurch
    Thanks for the info on the VDP with the super charged engine and long wheelbase.

As you have noted elsewhere in my correspondence, I would strongly suggest to any prospective JAG owner that they purchase the L. series. The only short wheelbase version I would buy would be as a personal commuter vehicle in which I anticipated no rear seat passengers.

I treat the short wheelbase JAG "as a coupe". The back seat is reserved for briefcase, golf clubs/tennis gear,groceries and the golden retriever who claims this seat as his private domain !

I can't help but believe that a beautiful retriever in the back seat of a JAG conveys an air of elegance fitting for the JAG mystique !

The only other purchase consideration would be a color combination which "would correspond to that of the retriever".

What an picture, what an advertisement!.... Jaguar, golden retriever and all!
    christchurch
  • shehzadshehzad Member Posts: 52
    I have a 1999 XJ8 with 63k on it, and I just noticed today that when putting the car in reverse, it sort of jerks back a bit, and as I'm switching into gear, a slight grinding sound emits from the (when the window is open) transmission tunnel. Has anyone else had this problem or have any idea as to what this might be. It seems pretty early for the transmission by dying.