Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• pp1pp1 Posts: 4
    Had my XJ8 this past winter here in Philly and had no problems. Of course, it's not an SUV with 4 wheel drive. I used the manual shifting of the transmission to allow better control and took it slow. Good luck.
  • Thanks. Are you happy you got the car? Is it what you expected? Any problems?
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    While I'm no expert on XJs, I do recall that Car & Driver did a test a year or so ago comparing RWD, FWD, FWD , and AWD . My recollection was that installing good winter tires (the new kind, not our father's tractor lug type "snow" tires) effectively improved winter traction one level. In other words a RWD with Blizzaks was now as good as FWD w/o winter tires. A FWD with Blizzaks was comparable to an AWD with simply all season tires.

This makes me think that an XJ with traction control and a set of dedicated winter tires and wheels would be OK in Northeastern cities and suburbs although probably in rural upstate New York (hello, Car and Driver's Brock Yates, how does your XJ get around Wyoming, NY?), northern ME, VT etc. you would want FWD or better. Although it would probably handle it with ease, the mental image of an XJ on the Rt 32 in mid-coast Maine on a winter night boggles the mind.
  • desertjoedesertjoe Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Jaguar XJ6 with 48,501 miles that started using 1/2 qt. transmission oil per 400 miles. That progressed to 1 qt. per 400 miles to the point it lost all power and would not start. After checking compression, i removed the head and found all piston tops covered w/ a oily residue and gasket had been bypassing between #2 and #3 and #4.The intake manifold venturie had oil on it too. I am told this year jag did not have a vacuum operated modulator and i have not been able to find one on the transmission,,,so can anybody tell me how did the transmission oil get to the intake manifold? I am in process of getting head pressure tested and milled but need to find how the transmission oil got to the engine intake. Help and thanks loads. desert joe
  • sldelhaassldelhaas Posts: 2
    Hello Jaguar fans,

I have purchased a 1993 XJ6 and when I start the car in the morning the oil pressure is fine. Once warmed up after 10 min. or so the pressure gauge drops to 0 at idle and goes back up at about 1800 rpm.

Can somebody help me finding out what is wrong?
    Thanks,
    Steven Delhaas
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    If your engine isn't clattering by now, it's probably just your pressure switch is going soft.
  • dbyers1dbyers1 Posts: 1
    Considering the purchase of an 01 XJ8 Vanden Plas. I am well aware of the past quality issues and am reluctant to make this purchase, but really like the car.

Are the timing chain/belt issues resolved in the 2001s? What specifics should I pay extra attention to when inspecting an 01 VDP? What is the life expectancy (in miles)?
  • christchurchchristchurch Posts: 125
    Over the years I have read from some of you that you have expierence sudden stalling.

The first time I have experienced it I was driving along at 65 mph for some half hour and all of a sudden the engine stalled. I shifted into neutral and cruised to a stop along the interstate.
    I turned the ignition off. The starter ran for a few seconds. I halted the start. Turned off the ignition and tried again. Figuring that the engine might be flooded I depressed the accelerator to the floor and held it for a few seconds while trying the starter again. The engine fired and returned to normal. No indicator lights appeared.

The second time it happened the same way.....perhaps a week later.
    This time the transmission indicator light came along with the stalling.
    This time I was able to restart from neutral while still moving.
    But, then the transmission was in "limp mode".
    I stopped about 10 minutes later and turned the engine off.
    About an hour later, after doing some business, I restarted and the transmission light went off and the transmission regained its full shift capacity.

I know this sounds strange but I have read and heard of others to which this has occurred.

I will take it to my dealer to have them check the codes but I am curious if any of you have had any experience like this ?
    What was the diagnosis?
    Repair cost?

Suggestions / help / advice appreciated so that I can be sure my cat is in the best of health !

Christchurch
  • audrey1audrey1 Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a '94 xj6,runs great has 133,00 miles,my power steering fluid just recently started leaking. I've had it checked and the mechanic says someone put the wrong fluid type in, he filled it with what type I don't know, still leaks but the level is never really low. I put in stop leak, still leaks any suggestions!!!! :confuse:Can I use any type of fluid in the JAG, Thx, audrey1
  • pefitopefito Posts: 4
    I have a 1989 XJ6 Sovereign that is driving me crazy.

Some times the LC lights on my panel start flickering and the speedometer arm starts moving back and forth from zero to the speed I am driving. It can go like this for a while and then it goes to back to normal.

Another things that it does is that the computer where the cruise control is some time works and most of the time doesn't.

The cruise control works only if the LC indicator for the shift is on in the panel which most of the time goes off as soon as the gear is on "D" from Drive..

Does any one experienced something like this, what is causing this problem and what can I do to solve it.

Thanks,

Jose :mad:
  • soswicksoswick Posts: 1
    The same thing has happened to my 1997 xj8 sport 3 times now since I got her in April this year. First time I was on the outside lane doing 70 mph, not nice, managed to make my way over to the hard shoulder where she started with no problem. Second time, the same again. This time I'm not so lucky, she stalled at some traffic lights and would not start, had to be towed back to the garage.
    After looking on the web tonight I found this site, and started reading that I'm not the only one with this problem. I have found that the main reason in all most cases is the "THROTTLE BODY", so I'm going to pass this info onto the garage in the morning, hope to save them some time in fixing the problem.
    If they find that it is something different, then I'll post the reason on here.

soswick.
  • bigbenzbigbenz Posts: 6
    Hi,
    I'm looking at a couple XJRs but I've read in the specs they they don't get the "Best" gas mileage. Can you guys give me some insite from personal hands on experience in driving these? :shades:

Thanks
    Hi,
    I was looking at purchasing a 97/98 XJR and I read that they wern't the best on gas. Can someone tell me a little more about how bad they are "If this is true."

Thanks
    :confuse:
    They're as good as any large, powerful sedan you may buy. What did you expect?
    When you say good as any powerful sedan do you mean 15-20 Mpg like the BMW 740IL or the Mercedes S500 or 19-25mpg like the Lexus LS400?? :confuse:
    Yes, more like the Bimmer & Benz..... You know, European sedans. The LS is smaller, especially the 400.
  • gwcatongwcaton Posts: 3
    I am in the process of purchasing an 87 XJ6 which has some incredibly nice wire wheels on it but believe it or not I would like to put some original wheels on it. I know someone who has a set that looks like new that he took of his 87 when he bought it new. They look newer than the wire wheels !
    Anyway, what would be a fair price for the original wheels ?

Thanks ,
    Gary
    Thanks for letting me know. I'm replacing a Mercedes S class and thats one of the disappointment I have with it. I do ALOT of city driving and it's nothing for me to put $400.00 a month in gas. I need something that's still classy but will do better on gas mileage.
  • pefitopefito Posts: 4
    I got a set of wheels for my '89 XJ6 Sovereign and I paid $ 300.00 Canadian and are in perfect conditions, like new.

JV