Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• solidagosolidago Posts: 4
    If you can find a low-mileage 97 xj-6, you will have a very reliable car. I bought a 97 in 2000 with 19K, and other than replacing a transmission oil seal (from non-use, a front end oil seal (common), and a throttle body (also common), it's been a great car. Now have 60K. The downside is you will not have a Jag certified-preowned with the 6 yr./100K warranty. But the 4.0 6 is a great engine. The V-8's, at least the early years, have had trouble. The materials in the 95-97 xj-6 are superior to what you find now- Ford influence- check out the carpets and headliners. Find a private jag mechanic and ask them- they love the 4.0 6. Good luck.
  • volvo4lvolvo4l Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 Jag XJ8 and need to do an oil change. However, i cannot figure out how to remove the cover underneath the car. Can someone help ?
    thanks
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Volvo4l, sorry can't advise on a Jag. I can tell you that changing it on an XC Volvo with a similar plate can be an ungodly mess if you don't get the filter back on tight.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Gentlemen,

It is time to get your MBA caps on. Which one of the three cars listed below is the better deal:

1) Locally owned '04 XJ , Black on Black with 9K miles, CPO, dealer owned, 44K

2) New '05 XJL , BRG with Sand, 56K

3) New '06 XJL, Black on Black, 66K

Curiosly enough, the '06 is virtually identical to the '05 except Jag added a chrome ring around the tail light and deleted the mid-door rub rail for a cleaner look. Sadly, the '06 already had a ding where the protective rub rail would have been.
  • rvevearvevea Posts: 11
    Saw your post & should have replied earlier. Don't know your knowledge of Jag line so maybe my concern is unfounded. Hoping the unit you were looking at WAS/IS an XJ series & not the X series. World of difference & Jag/Ford added the VDP option to the X so it could be confusing to a newbie. Hope that is not the case, or if so, that you found it out before it was too late. The $34,995 figure suggests, at least to me, that this could be the likely scenerio, assuming the car is "honest". If it IS an XJ8 & "honest" then, YES, it is a steal & the seller is uninformed and lost, to say the least. Please quell my curiosity.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    All short wheelbases? Any equipment differences?

Initially, I'll say don't touch the '06, but tell me if there are ANY equipment differences between them, because to be honest with you, I'm not yet sure ANY of them are a good enough deal.
    notice '04 is std wb, '05 & '06 are lwb. There are MANY '05 lwb (XJL's) available with very low to decent (20k at most) miles ranging from $42k to $50K. Should be able to find a real decent one with about 12k for $46, saving $10k. Remember... as SOON as the new '05 or '06 is titled to you it IS a USED car. Period. If worried about warranty get it "certified" for a few extra bucks. Still a lot less and biggest "first" depreciation factor is gone. Your local Jag dealer CAN get you one of these. Give him a couple color choices and 30 days. You'll be an owner.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    Only because I saw an 04 XJ, Radiance on White with 1,500 miles by private owner in Providence RI when surfing through Auto Trader a couple of weeks ago do I discern that your 04 is 6 to 7K over priced.

Had that Radiance with 1,500 miles been within 300 miles of me, I would have checked it out, but 3,000 miles is just too far. It sold very quickly anyway.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    Yes, it was an XJ8 Vanden Plas - but there is a "catch." The car was on the dealer website for $34,995. I drove it and told the salesman that I would be back the next day for them to appraise my LS for possible trade. We didn't even discuss price.

When I returned the following day, the salesman sheepishly told me the website was wrong. They have 2 XJs - the Vanden Plas that I looked at and another base model with about 40,000 miles. They had apparently done some sort of "cut and paste" when they set up the site. They had all the information and pictures for the Vanden Plas but they had the price and VIN of the base model. The Vanden Plas is $42,995. The base model with the higher miles was $34,995.

They made an honest mistake so I didn't push it. However, I kind of lost interest in the Vanden Plas at $8000 more than the price quoted on their site.

By the way, my understanding is that there are a couple of significant upgrades to the 2006 models - more insulation and thicker glass. I haven't driven an '06 but I am told that they are much quieter than the '04 and '05s.
  • blov8rblov8r Posts: 567
    I'm conflicted about these warranties, because I've never got my money out of one yet.

IMO it's all about one's comfort level with risk. I'm relatively risk-averse and turn my own car over toward the end of factory warranty as a routine matter. My wife, however, keeps a car for 10 years so extended warranty has saved us a fortune in the lives of her last two cars.

I came within a whisker of buying an '03 VDP w/ 7K miles on it but balked because I would have had less than a year of coverage ... and the local dealer didn't know whether an extended warranty was available from Jaguar! While I found it hard to believe at the time, I took it as a message to stand clear of that unit despite the fact that it was a spectacular specimen. Bart :shades:
    The differences between the '05 and '06 are there, but they are NOT nearly as significant as the salesmen would have you believe. The missing body molding on the '06 might be a bit more attractive, if you are so inclined, but not worth the risk of possible dings on the aluminum body. The moldings look fine, IMO, and are probably better to have than not, as on the '05. The '06's brakes are slightly larger, but not a major difference that should be of any concern whatsoever. The road noise difference is very slight, as the '05 and '06 are both respectably quiet. For the most part, the '05 and '06 are the same, but the price is not. Further, the '05 comes with included maintenance while the '06 does not. The newer '06 wire mesh front grill insert is interchangeable and available in the parts department. If you think it makes enough of a difference you can order it and swap out the front grill. Getting a killer price on a good '04 or '05 is the way to go. History will prove that this will be one of the best times EVER to buy an XJ. The current generation is gorgeous and reliable and can be had for a steal. My recommendation is the Vanden Plas with rear entertainment multi media if you can find one. The built-in headrest color monitors are so very cool, and the center console has an amazing control center for all the media. That way you get the long wheelbase, and all the other upgrades as well.

TagMan
    Tagman, what about the '04 vs. the '05/'06? Are there any compelling reasons to go for the later version/

Incidentally, I'm told by a dealer that very few '04 LWB cars were brought in. One partial explanation (mine not his) of why the '04 resale is so low is that the cars are all plain jane XJs. When I cruise cars.com I see a stiff premium for the XJR and believe it or not, the Vandeplas. The latter seems to command the same resale as the XJR! The price premium between an XJ and the XJL/XJR is at least 10K for an '04. Maybe more. In carspeak, the VandePlas and the XJR seem to "residualize" well. Not sure about the XJL. I don't seem much difference in price between it and a SWB.

What are your thoughts on brisk driving? The less expensive SWB would seem to handle better on the interstate AND around town. IMHO I just don't see the reason for the LWB: only people like Rummy have chauffers; if you have dogs, the Irish Wolfehounds ain't going to be in the Jag; no one picnics by the road anymore so the fold down tables are frivolous; while the back seat is bigger on the LWB the trunk is no different so you aren't going to be carrying any more golf clubs or whatever; I just don't get it.

On the other hand, if I could find a nice used XJ SWB, a set of 20" Sepang ($4500 option on the XJR) wheels on Ebay, and a guy who would install the thicker 31mm XJR antisway bar on it for short money, I would be a happy guy.
    I just don't get it.

Well, there are the LPS guys and there are the HELM guys that are gererally split between indulgence and performance. Sometimes the same beast, but often enough two seperate animals. That explains the values for the XJR and the Vanden Plas BOTH being better. I personally prefer this automobile in the longer wheelbase. From my personal perspective the Vanden Plas is the ideal icon for the XJ.

Somehow, I'm very partial to the '05's in general as the best all around buy, but you must know something here that I would like you to share at this point. So fill me in already.
    Tagman, sorry, no secrets. Like you I think that a used '04 or later XJ is a great buying opportunity and I'd just like to pick the best year in terms of price/ depreciation vs. features.

Incidentally, I'm old enough to be a sucker for BRG with a tan interior. I can recall when half of the TR4s in the world seemed to be BRG. Curiously, I don't see many used XJs in BRG. And, the green in the XJR is the lighter, Jaguar Racing Green which is not to my liking. IMHO the XJ, like most HELMs, looks better in a dark color. I couldn't imagine one in white.

On a side note, I drove an '04 XJ recently whose front seats were fantastic. They were far more supportive than my Porsche Cayennes and more comfortable than our Volvo XC.
    Personally, as I've mentioned, I believe this car is a potential steal if you can get it the right way. The right way, of course is your own preference, but there are some guidelines to consider. You have already indicated that you are aware that the Vanden Plas and the XJR are the better resale. In the longer run, the Vanden Plas will do even better because it won't have been driven as hard or even abused as can be the case with the XJR. Also, the long wheelbase is getting to be popular again. Look around at other Marques and you might agree. Even Lexus will be introducing their very top tier in a long wheelbase. So, this supports the long-term consideratin of the Vanden Plas. Also, it has all the bells and whistles. Total luxury all the way. It is, IMO, the Jaguar XJ icon. But again, if you like to really put your foot into it and need even more power, then the XJR may be your ticket. Interestingly, the standard engine gets exceptional mileage that is so good it would require another manufacturer to use a hybrid or diesel to compete with it. It's truly amazing. And, of course, the XJ is elegant and gorgeous, as well as comfortable. The fact that it is aluminum is somehow forgotten sometimes, but is just another wonderful thing about the XJ. And the modern XJ is even reliable enough to not lose any sleep. Interestingly, the '05, if purchased new, comes with 4 years of full maintenance as well as the warranty, and the '06 does not. I vote for a new '05 at a terrific price or a very clean used '04 or '05. As far as the burgundy color goes, yes I remember the Triumph TR6 and other British cars in burgundy, but I would caution you that resale would probably be a little compromised. Modern popular colors are black, silver, gun metal gray, and white. White is not quite as popular on the XJ, and the number one selling color for all cars in the USA for the fifth year in a row is silver. It looks terrific on the XJ, IMO, as do dark colors as you suggested, especially black.

Ultimately, it is a gorgeous vehicle that can be had for about half to two-thirds of what any other comparable HELM would cost you. And in some ways it is MORE car than those others. It's amazing to me.

Good Luck.

TagMan
    "BRG" or "brg"... in Jag or any English built car (MG, etc)is British Racing Green. All greens, especially darker ones like BRG, SEVERAL years ago were VERY popular. (Like in the '50's & 60's) But greens have been quite poor sellers for the last 35 years, with the exception of just a handful of British car buyers or us older nostalgia seekers. I prefer, for ease of maintenance, WHITE! I don't have to wash mine but every couple months and it still looks good. IMO... As long as I've got the cat on my hood it looks good in any color.
    My terrible oversight on the color. BRG is British Racing Green, and I was reading so fast, and it was late. Shame on me for being so brain dead on that one. I also recently missed an L on XJL on a recent post, and therefore didn't recognize that a long wheelbase was being referenced. I definately need to slow down and read more carefully sometimes.

In any event, we totally agree that it is a poor seller, and not necessarily a very good choice, unless you happen to love it, and then it doesn't matter any more. And, BTW, since you mentioned white , I think white is an outstanding color choice. Over the years, I have owned various vehicles in white and always thought it was a smart pick. Even though white it is not statistically a major seller for the XJ (according to the dealer, at least), I personally think it makes for an outstanding looking vehicle. We completely agree, and once again, forgive my display of idiocy, as I usually do better than that. Again, thanks for the wake up.

:)

TagMan
  • fennfenn Posts: 197
    I have "been there and done that" with an '04 and and '05 XJR....

I say that the '05 model is the hot choice for value---and long term reliability, over the '04. Meanwhile, I actually think that the '06 changes are pretty negligible---the changes in the trim with the body molding etc. are not noticed by anybody but a Jaguar aficionado. I drove an '06 and did not sense any really significant change in quietness due to the insulated glass either. Although, the new '06 brakes might be the only reason, if the new revised brakes turn out to be less squeaky.

I originally thought that the increased horsepower in the supercharged XJR was a noteworthy '06 change, until I realized it was just a recertification that raised the HP ratings, rather than any changes to engine.

So, having owned/leased an early '04 and my current '05, I would say that it is best to go for the '05....and do not pay a big premium for the '06.

The overall build quality, trim fit and execution is better in the '05 than my '04. While I had a stinky lemon '04, I still feel that the first year bugs are worked out in the '05 and '06 versions.

I had no wheelbase choice in the XJR, but I prefer the SWB for handling and roadability. However, if you carry adults in the back seat, the LWB is the hot choice for leg room and comfort.

Even though I drive a supercharged XJR, I also want to say that the base XJ powertrain has plenty of pep and power. It is quick and responsive. Bear in mind, that I do not engage the Supercharger in my XJR in most daily driving, except for highway acceleration, or "ego exercise" and it is still a quick light car with the basic engine.
    So, according to you and I, and the others, the concensus then is for the '05. Well done, I must say. It really does show up as the one to get when you stop and take a good look at it. It would seem that the '05 Jaguar XJ represents on of the best HELM deals in history, and particularly the XJR and Vanden Plas versions.

Congratulations, gentlemen. Good work.

TagMan