Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• lesliejoylesliejoy Posts: 62
    My dealer told me that unless you buy the car from a dealership, they cannot do a select edition warranty. Told me I would have to sell them the car, and then buy it back from them - yeah right, like I would do that!
    Forgot to mention - the quote I got for my 1998 XJ8-L with 15,000 miles was $1875 for 7 years/70,000 miles with 0 deductible.

(Warrantech, through the dealer, was about $2800 with a deductible).
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    $1,875? Thats not a bad price at all!

And the dealer is correct. For them to select edition the car they first have to report the car to Jaguar as being intheir inventory (Which Jag dealers are supposed to do on every used Jaguar).

THEN they can certify it as a Select Edition. It is done that way to prevent them from selling SE warranties to any car off the street (This is done mainly to protect Jaguar).

Bill
  • arcoatesarcoates Posts: 221
    marsha- here's some food for thought- the XJ6's have as much torque as the current XJ8's. Therefore, you won't notice the power off the line. It's only when doing highspeed cruising with a car load of people that you may be a little slower. But, in my opinion, the I6 is much more traditional than the V8, and I like it better~ A.R.
    Correct.

I've got an XJ8 and an XJ6 outside a the moment (a 99 Titanium XJ8 I picked up and my trusty red 97).

I actually feel a little off the line.. but not much below 30.

Above 30 tho, the XJ8 is a freaking ROCKET.

Bill
  • pablo_lpablo_l Posts: 491
    I don't know - granted I have an XJR, and it's simply faster than anyone really needs. But the normal 8 and 6 cyls to me are pretty fast cars, period. They are just deceptively smooth, and thus seem somewhat sluggish off the line... but fact is you see practically all other cars disappearing in your rear window. It was true with my trusty old XJS (God, I miss that car), and also most certainly with the XJ8 I had as a temporary car.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    to underline your comment, pablo. In the nearest city (Worcester, MA) the so-named "Grand Nationals" were just held. The show attracts over 10,000 owners of old American cars and, especially, hot rods. One of the favorite events of the weekend, repeated on three nights, is the "burn-out."

In this event, a hot rod lines up on a special pad. At a signal the driver tries to spin the tires until they ignite. The goal is to entirely destroy a set of tires in one 'burn out.' Extra points are awarded if the car DOESN'T move! This year a guy pulled up to the line in a BMW (the paper didn't say which model) and wasn't able to even leave rubber or a loud squeal; he was booed off the line as "euro trash."

I'll bet no one here was present for the festivities:)

But I do enjoy looking at the hot rods.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673
    site, I am somewhat confused...if one looks at info for XJ6 or XJ8 after 1996, it is really called the X40 or X300...XJ seems to be cars from 1996 down to the 1980s or so...is that right?

I am trying to find various models, colors, etc for 1997 and above XJ6, XJ8, L series, VDP, etc, but zeroing in on the info I seek is not as simple as I thought, because I do not seem to follow the organization of the board as easily as I assumed...
  • sho3sho3 Posts: 28
    Texas Direct has a 98 Vander Plas with 73,000 miles for $24,000 the colors are Black exterior
    and ivory interior. How do you determine if you
    are getting a good price for a high mileage Jaguar? Since Bill has convince me that Jaguars
    are bullet proof and high miles will not be a problem. I'm trying to find a 98 XJ8L or Vander
    Plas that will fit my budget <=$25,000
  • sikorski1sikorski1 Posts: 6
    My 98 XJ8 just got hit in a parking lot. The drivers rear quarter panel was dented in and will need to be repaired. It is Sapphire (Dark Blue) and I was wondering, what I should be asking the Body Shop about paint spec's, or anything else. I got two quotes from two places. They both use silkkens paint. What should my concerns be what should I ask about? I want the car to look as good as new and both places say it will.
  • lucnoellucnoel Posts: 31
    don't want to sound too negatif here' but it is very RARE to find a body shop,not that said that the car will look as good than new, they all said that,but that will MAKE the car look like new.
    Especialy on a dark color.
    Try to look at a few cars,dark colors if possible,that they just did.
    Look for over spray,paint lines on exterior trim, did they remove the trim or just tape it?
    Look closely at the repaired panel,do you see "orange peel" or any sanding marks?
    How is the clear coat,any scratches in it?
    Do you see any runs or pinholes or bumps in the paint?
    May be you should contact your Jaguar dealer and let them sub-contract the work.
    Like that if you are not happy with the end result,you will have a better chance to have it corrected if it is not up to Jaguar paint quality/specification.

Luc.
  • vusicvusic Posts: 53
    Although I have yet to find time to shop properly for extended warranties, thanks to everyone with info. I'm sure I'll save at least a few thousand because of this forum.

Price: '96(7?) VDP with 51K miles at www.expomotorcars.com....$21.9. For reference.

Paint: I agree with Luc. Also, a good indicator is look at the cars in the lot that have been or are going to be repaired. If they're cars of the same caliber as yours, they probably have a good rep for doing quality work. If the lot is filled with run of the mill vehicles, you might want to keep shopping.

I still haven't received my owners manual for my wife's '99 VDP. Can anyone tell me how to program the garage door openers?

DC
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    A "real" XJ6, according to purists, anyway, are the models made from 1969 until 1987. XJ40's are the more squared off Jags (look for rectangle taillights) from 1988 until 1994, and the X300 is the 1995-1997 Jags. Some call the 1998 & newer X300's, and some call them the X308, the last number denoting the V-8 engine. Sound simple enough? Now for the really confusing stuff. For quite a while, the XJ6 and XJ40 were being made at the same time. XJ40 production actually started in 1986, although the 86 & 87's are rare, and best avoided. The Series 3 XJ wasn't sold in the US after 1987, but Jaguar continued making them for foreign markets all the way up to 1992! So if you ask what year denotes an XJ, what year an XJ40, and what year an X300/308, the correct answer is "Uh...."
    thanks...and you're right...but if I can learn the various nomenclatures for Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, etc...I may have the IQ to learn Jags...
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Posts: 111
    First, there is a wonderful website you should check out: http://www.homelink.com/faq/faq.html. This is the company that makes the system and they have all sorts of information available.

The frequency range the homelink uses may not be compatible with your opener. I have a Sears/Craftsman door opener and it operates in a higher frequency band than the in-car system so I can't use it..

To program the buttons, you first want to make sure they are not already programmed. Press and hold both the #1 and #4 buttons for about 20 seconds. The red light will start to flash. Then let go of both buttons. You have just erased all four memory settings.

To program an individual button, move away from your garage door, else this next step will cause the door to move!

Hold your remote unit up to your car's ceiling, just in front of the row of homelink buttons. Simultaneously press and hold both the garage-door remote and one of the 4 homelink buttons. When you first press the homelink button, the red light will shine steady. Hold both buttons in until the red light begins to blink, then release both buttons.

You have supposedly now programmed your car to open your garage door. To confirm this, if you press and hold only the homelink button you just programmed, the red light should blink after a few seconds.

The homelink website has information about how to program "rolling code" openers, as the procedure may be different.

Also, find and read your garage door opener instruction manual. You may need to "train" your garage door to recognize the new opener in your car. There is a generic procedure described on the Homelink website.

Good Luck!
    $24K I suppose OK.. but I know they can be had cheaper.

Remember.. really high miles=really low price.

I recently saw a 60K mile silver 98 VDP do like $22K at auction down here...

Bill
  • lobarkerlobarker Posts: 5
    Hi everyone,

I need advise and I will take all I can get. There is a 1995 XJ6 for sale that I am thinking about buying. My income supports that of a Toyota Civic not a Jag. But the cost of the car is approx. $16,000.00 nearly the same as a new Civic, so which would you pick? {From a used car place not a dealership}.

The car has 66,000 miles on it, (vin# sajhx1745sc722919). What is the reputation of this model? Am I getting into deep water with repairs, what kind of repairs am I looking at? What should I look out for mechanically? How much should I spend?

Thank you for any help, advise and support you can offer me. I can not drive my 15 year old rusty Toyota forever.

Love,
    Lorraine
    lobarker@juno.com
    Fairfax Virginia, 34, single, 5'9", thin, blond-blue, hot looking
    any single guys out there, a date wouldn't be bad either:)
    By all means, get a Jag!! Wouldn't your friends just turn green!!

Since you live in Fairfax, you should check out Rosenthal Jaguar in Tyson's corner. The prices of their used Jags run from about $10K to about $50K. I would recommend getting the car from a Jag dealer. The reason being that there is a good chance that they put the car through an inspection and fixed anything it needed. If the car has less than 50,000 miles on it and is less that 4 years old (from the time of original sale), it would be covered by Jaguar's "Select Edition" warranty that will give you up to 2 more years of bumper-to-bumper coverage. A Honda dealer with a Jag on the lot can't do that.

While some people have had problems with pre-'96 XJ6's, others have had no problems whatsoever. There seems to be a consensus that the 96/97's are pretty good. The electrical system of the car was overhauled in 1998, so later model cars may be appear a little more "reliable", but honestly, I'm quite happy with my '97 and it's old wiring harness. The V8 was introduced in 1998, replacing the XJ6's "in-line six".

For the money you're talking, you should be able to find a couple other Jags to choose from.

Scroll back to around message #100 and start reading from there. You'll find a lot of useful information in this forum.

Get the Jag... Honda's don't have a leaper on the hood!
  • pluskinpluskin Posts: 79
    Hey, did you guys happen to know that Jag's that are sold in Europe, don't have a leaper? Unfortunately, there are pedestrian protection laws on the books, and they seem to think that leapers are capable of spearing someone that is stupid enough to get in your way. Just not the same without them.
  • shehzadshehzad Posts: 52
    Hey Lorraine--Look in todays Washington Post as well. A nice 95vdp w/ 48k for 19,995 or something. I imagine he'd be negotiable to at least 17,5 or something. I just glanced over the ad, but for some reason am thinking it's being sold by the owner and not a dealer. It's going to be hard to find one under warranty with the age you're looking at, so my suggestion is this--look around and take your time looking--Jag's aren't very hard to find, and don't sell very quickly from what I've seen--just get one that you trust the history on (make sure to take it to a dealer to get it checked out b/f you buy). Get the carfax results, take it to rosenthal, and have them go over it bumper to bumper. And definitely--if you're looking for a date, you'll get a lot more looks in the jag (Billy bob to Ray bob--"Gee, I wonder who the sexy lady is in the jag")--than in a civic :)
    A few weeks ago, I was filling up the tank and the automatic shut off went off. I pumped again and it again shut off, so I figured I was full. I didn't want to overflow the tank. When I got in the car, it registered 3/4 full. Thought I had a problem.

I went to a different station the next time I needed gas, and this time it went all the way to "full", with the automatic shut off. This time I thought the problem was probably with the other gas stations pump, and was relieved it wasn't my car.

Today I went to another station and the exact same thing happened as the first time. Only filled 3/4's but kept shutting off! Any ideas anyone? Guess I'll have to mention it when I bring the car back in. Really weird.
    The leaper dangerous? So what about the Mercedes star? Or Rolls' Emily? I seem to recall that, in Germany, Jags have leapers again after they were no longer simply screwed on, but (like Merc's star) pivoted upon impact. Which of course means that the leaper takes a walk as soon as you park the car in a downtown parking lot... thusly, you don't see many cars with the leaper. Just like you don't see many Mercs with the star...
    I think it's the pumps, and not the car. Try moving the pump around some, and position it somewhat differently. There are gas-stations I avoid because it does take a lot of fiddling around to fill the tank, and the tanks in Jags are not exactly small (and the XJR is not exactly frugal when it comes to gas consumption...)
    a Jag Select Edition warranty...to take this to the extreme, as it really does matter, since Ford owns Jag, canany kind of a warranty be sold by Ford??? I have a dealer that sells an occasional Jag (had a silver XJ8L on the lot 2 days ago), is he selling ANY kind of warranty??? Since Brentwoodvolvo now has a lot to sell from, are you, Bill, an authorized Jag dealer, and can you sell either 1. any extended warranty or 2. the one and only Jag warranty?
  • vusicvusic Posts: 53
    97vdpguy: Thanks for the programming info. I will program this weekend!

D I D: I'm not looking for a date but I did run a carfax report on your Jag.
    It's a New York car, seems to be a 1 owner. Title is clean and no flood or salvage history.
    Here's the history list:
    11/4/94.......Registered as private vehicle.
    1/6/95........Title issued
    11/10/98......41K Miles, passed NY vehic inspec.
    12/1/99.......51K Miles, passed NY vehic inspec.
    12/27/00......63K Miles, passed NY vehic inspec.
    4/26/01.......sold at auction. Listed as dealer sale

Hope this helps.

DC
    Pablo, Thanks for the response.

I have an XJ8L and I'm always afraid of the gas overflowing onto the trunk!

I'll try "fiddling" with the pump should it happen again. Thanks.
    Me?

Yeah, I got the $10,000,000 to buy a Jag dealership in FL :))

Suuure.... yeeaahhh... That's assuming one comes out on the open market in this lifetime.

I'll be dealing in a lot of used Jags tho.

1) I generally do not like extended warranties. And this from someone who (Until very shortly) owns part of 2 franchised dealers. They are generaly not worth the money. Also in FL they're an aggravation. Basically, if I dont sell them for list I'm putting my neck out on the choppingblock if the customer ever cancels.

2) The SE warranty is a heck of a value that being said... But I find that most are grossly overpriced and not worth it.

Bill
    If you overfill your kitty, the gas will escape thru a valve in the filling well and will empty underneath the car.

I know this because I was trying to "top off" my tank in my garage before a long trip last weekend. The Jag tank neck does NOT like gas can nozzles at all! I think I got a cup of gas in the car and about 1/3 gallon all over the garage floor.

The good news was that not a drop went onto the paint or into the trunk!

A little sand and a good airing out, and the garage is as good as new too!

My VDP is an XJ6-L wheelbase. I haven't had any trouble putting gas in. My Jeep GrandCherokee used to be able to take 1.5 gallons more after the pump would shut off. I think it had something to do with the design of the tank filler neck and the fact that the gas "foams" a little as the tank gets full. The foam causes the nozzle to shut off.

That's why I thought I'd try the gas can. Bad move!
  • lobarkerlobarker Posts: 5
    Thank you everyone for the advice (DC~ for the car fax, thank you).

I just looked at a 96 XJ6 at R-se-th-l. Not a very good salesman experience though. They wanted $24,900 it had 48,000 miles. They would not budge on the price.

No more Toyota/Honda's for me though. The test drive was all it took. Heck I may not even want a date once I get a Jag ;).

ox,
    Lorraine
    The Edmunds site says you should pay between $20,100 and $22,200 for that car, assuming it is loaded and in immac condition.

Go back in this forum and read Msgs #187-#190. Bill has provided some really good information on model years around what you're looking for and the profit the dealer should expect. Trade-in value on the car you mentioned is around $18,500. The rest would be dealer profit (minus any work they put into it).