Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• Thanks, netranger 4.

These are great stories proving once again that there are a lot of people who have had very positive expierence with the "Cat" !

It must have humbled the caddie dealer to see her pull in "six or more times" in her Jag following behind a tow truck with the caddie dangling !
    Wonder why people "don't get the picture"?

Keep the Jag lore coming our way.
    christchurch
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    Unfortunately, it's easier to earn a bad reputation for yourself than build a good one. All of the unreliable Jags of the 70's and 80's are still haunting the company today, and it will take a while for their newfound dependability to win over disgruntled former owners left on the side of the road one too many times by an overheated V-12. FWIW, IMHO, (my the abbreviations!), if I were going to go for an XJ12, I'd get the 95 over the 94. The 95's a thousand times better looking than the 1994.
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    The Jag V8 and SHO V8 are totally different. The SHO V8 is actually a Yamaha engine just like the SHO V6 was.
  • are the 1995-1997 Vanden Plas as long as the 1997 XJ6L, which is 5 in. longer then the regular XJ6?
  • arcoatesarcoates Posts: 221
    Yes, the XJ6L is the same length as the VDP. The difference is standard equipment levels, and those cool aeroplane style picnic tables in the VDP.~ A.R.
  • In my opinion, I prefer and would only buy the VDP or the L series for the reason that the back seat leg room in the XJ6 is miniscual at best.
    These JAGS are really one or two passenger drivers cars since the back seat leg room is very cramped. A passengers legs are humped up and are therefore without support of the rear seat which is low to begin with.
    In other words, if you are going to have passengers opt only for the VDP or L series. The 5+/- inches makes rear seat occupants appreciate the ride and Jaguar style. Without it, anticipate stiff legs and ornery passengers, particularly on a journey of any length.

It is time to stretch the legs !
    christchurch
    You are so correct. Ours is a standard wheelbase. It is so cramped in the back for the kids. Go for the long wheelbase unless you are getting an XJR. That is the only reason to stick with the standard.

Or go for a coupe- about the same rear leg room!~ A.R.
  • Incidently, I am still interested in extended warranties.
    Once out of warranty, I think some repair cost protection is in order.
    I know that you indicated that the Jaguar dealer's warrenty is great. But, what if you didn't buy through them ? Can you still do so?

All cars are expensive to repair JAGS being no exception and particuallry at dealerships. Luckily, a good "back ally" mechanic can also work with warranties.

Has anyone had experience with them?
    I hear frightful stories about endless hassles, unpaid bills, denied claims, argumentative "customer reps.", and so on and so on.

If you have had an extended warrenty with your JAG or know of someone who has, let me know.
    What are the pros and cons ?
    What companies are the most reliable?
    Got any ideas on these questions?

Happy "Jagin" !
    christchurch
  • I am looking at XJ6's and XJ8's. My mechanic told me the XJ8's have a history of engine problems, mainly having to do with valves. I haven't seen anything on that topic in the current comments.

By the way, there is a company in Dallas called Texas Mustang Sales that sells used Jaguars at wholesale prices to the public. See www.texas-cars.com. The prices are $6K - $8K lower than the local dealerships.

Dan
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    From what I've heard, the midsize S-Type has better rear legroom than the larger XJ short wheelbase. If it were me, I'd avoid an XJR unless I was going to get one new. I'd apply that logic to *any* supercharged car, not just the Jag, mainly because people who buy supercharged cars want the extra power, and then make full use of it by driving the car harder.
  • I have been told by several mechanics that XJ8 did not have major engine problems to speak of.
    The Texas Cars Direct in Dallas has the best prices on wholesale cars. I was watching their website for weeks until my wife decided on what color she wanted. But as I was watching the Houston paper ads, a 1998 VDP Jag with 40k miles was listed as the same price as Texas Cars Direct.
    The price was right and the car was immaculate.
    So I now have a 98 JAg VDP white/tan. We have put around 300 miles on it and I can't believe the car. Jags were always noted for speed but the 290 hp flys. We love this car. After several Lexus. and a 420SEL BENZ we decided on a Jag. I am sure glad we did. I bought an extended warranty up to 100k miles. We bought the car from AutoPlex in Houston from Mike Roa. He gets immaculate used Jags in from time to time at a fair wholesale price. You might give him a call. I have heard also that Texas cars direct in Dallas was also good.
  • Here are two examples: 1972 XJ12 Standard Length owned by couple in Ohio. 336,000 miles and just getting ready for 1st overhaul. 1974 XJ6L 210,000 miles not ready for overhaul yet. Both of these cars were serviced by a Jaguar shop (not a dealer) from new. How's that for service?
  • how fast do the 2001 xj6 Jaguar go is it 85 or 120 or 135. if you no email me or post it. my email is mkitty@inreach.com
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Posts: 298
    Just a minor correction. There is no such thing as a 2001 XJ6. It has been the XJ8 since 1998 and is electronically limited to 155MPH. Which is faster than anyone should be driving this side of Bonneville or Germany
    A cars top speed doesn't really factor into my choices anymore. There is no where this side of the pond that you can get your car up to that speeds. As long as it has good 0-60 times, or even 0-30times, that's where most of your time is spent. So look at Jaguars for their great handling, good low-end power, unparalleled styling, gorgous interiors and overall fantastic package. But if you really must have a car with a high top-speed, then Jaguars can go there, and will be extremely stable!~ A.R.
  • I found your note very interesting.

I note that you indicated that you bought a warranty with the car.
    May I inquire regarding the following?
    What mileage was on the car when you bought it?
    Who recommended the warranty and/or what was your consideration in selecting it?
    What company supplied it?
    Also, if you care to share it, I'm curious as to what you paid for it.
    Your warranty advice would be appreciated as I am in the market for the same.

I congratulate you for joining "the ranks".
    It sounds as though you bought right and that the car is "show room" in condition.
    You will have many years of great pleasure. You will find, in addition, that there will be all sorts of people who will inquire of you about your car. These "cats" have a seductive affect on those who admire elegant styling. Soon you will be a promoter of Jaguar automobiles and will, thereby, gather many interesting stories.

While Lexus and Benz (which I have owned and driven for years) are quite fine automobiles in there own right, there is a special charachter....a personality... that is only found with Jaguar. There is a tireless quality in store for those who drive a JAG. The Jaguar is quite extordinary, a very special "touring" car, indeed !

christchurch
    If speed and grace is what you want in your cat, look no further than an XJR.
  • The 98 VDP Jag that I purchased had 47K miles on it. The dealer offered an extended 100K warranty for the car. It was $1900.00. So for 2K I got an extended warranty that is transferable if I sell the car. The name of the warranty is Heritage. If anyone has heard of this company either pro or con please let me know. The warranty from the Jag dealer was 2800.00. But with this warranty I can go to any Jag repair shop for repairs. Not just a Jag dealer which are few and far between. Seems like a good deal to me. I guess I will see if this is true or not.
    My consideration when I bought it was that I wanted to be covered for any major problem. Engine, Trans, drive train, etc. I would hate to come out of pocket for a complete engine overhaul.
  • netranger4netranger4 Posts: 149
    When I bought my '75 XJ6L the salesman, and older British gentleman gave me a pamphlet which he had produced based on his years as Jaguar salesperson. He said "If you will follow this pamphlet religiously the car will last as long as you care to drive it". One of the admonitions was never ever let the car go low on coolant or motor oil..keep both topped up all the time. After 23yrs of ownership following his instructions amazingly he was absolutely correct.
    That is actually good advice for ANY car as low oil and coolant levels can ruin an engine.