Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• Bill, thanks for the info. There was a 98 XK8 white, tan completely loaded at a Mercedes dealership. they wanted $44K and it was on ebay.
    Is this a good deal? I want a white with tan. 20-30K mileage. what is a good deal for this one?
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Posts: 111
    In the news today:

BY DAN HART
    BLOOMBERG NEWS

WASHINGTON -- Ford Motor Co.'s Jaguar unit is recalling about 3,550 of its 1994
    to 1996 XJ12 and XJS sedans because faulty emission-control parts may cause the
    cars to exceed U.S. air-pollution standards, a government agency said.

About 550 XJ12s from 1995 and 1996 have a problem with the air-pump check valve,
    while about 3,000 XJ12 and XJS cars from 1994 and 1995 have a faulty oxygen
    sensor, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said on its Web site. Jaguar's
    North American office couldn't immediately confirm the recall.

-----------

See also the coverage provided on the Jagtalk website at:

http://www.jagtalk.com/forums/1/message.html?22690

and

http://www.jagtalk.com/forums/1/message.html?22660
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Hmmm

$44K? Without knowing the miles it seems like a very good price.

Spindrift White with Cashmere interior is a very exensive color combo on XK8s, one of the most desireable. Oh, and you want really low miles. OK, I can understand that! :)

My guess is I'd have to pay at auction.. somewhere around $42Kish for a car like that, so $44K is a very strong retail price.

Bear in mind, used cars are profitable for dealers.. And $2K over wholesale (Although who knows.. they coulda grabbed it for $40K on trade) is a cheap deal. On a retail level at the Jag dealership we used to average around $5,000 or so on used XK8s.

So.. if its' low miles and mint.. I'd be tempted to say to pull the trigger!

Bill
  • Bill, I am sorry I did not mention it had only 14K miles on it. the wife and I went by to look at it. It looks OK. but since we have had flood damage all over Houston one must be leary on used car purchases around here. But it looks like a sweetheart.
  • I think that's the one I'm going to take out in March 2002 also.

Looking at Warrantech also for our Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. They are asking $1,500 for a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty. It's the same warranty as the jaguar for about $1,000 less!

We are going to keep these cars for at least 5 more years, so I think the warranty will bring peace of mind. It's like buying insurance. You hate to spend the money, but if you need it, it's there.

Liked your idea about putting the car on your medical insurance. Maybe we can claim them as dependents on income tax as well!
    14K Miles?? That is a screaming deal then...

Post the VIN here or e-mail me at directautogroup@aol.com and I will carfax it for you if you'd like...

Bill

PS: Look at this site I made too:

http://www.vauxhallpa.50megs.com/paintwork.html

I'd say go for it on the JGC... In my experience with them, that could well pay for itself..

Bill
  • Bill, I went by the Mercedes Dealership today to get the VIN number and the car was sold already. Wow in one day . I thought it was a good price. Should have bought this one. Well I will have to keep looking. thanks for the help

Jarmstrong
  • jmm52jmm52 Posts: 3
    I have been looking to purchase a new car for a number of months but nothing has really struck me as worth the investment. I currently have a BMW 1995 325i convertible that is aging and needs some work to bring it back. Thinking about trading up to a new car I went in to a Florida dealer to test drive the new "X" but was not really impressed. Nice car but didn't seem to have that something that would make it my new car.

While there I looked over the XJ8's and decided to test drive one. Like many of you I have always loved the look of the car but thought it would be too expensive. They had a number of cars with Select Edition warranties. The one I liked the best was 1999 XJ8 Platinum with 15,000 miles for $40,000. It looked to be in great shape compared to a 36,000 1997 in Mistral Blue for $33,000 which looked a little tired. How are these prices?

I am seriously thinking about a purchase but need to test drive the car for a while to see how I adjust to the handling and pickup. It is certainly unlike that of the BMS’s and Mercedes I have had the opportunity to drive in the past. The pickup was very smooth but appeared to lack the aggressive response of the BMW, which has a much smaller engine. I am not saying it was worse just that it was different.

I would appreciate any feedback on the price I was quoted as well as a comparison of the driving feel from someone who has driven both BMW’s and Jaguars.
    Ummm...

$33,000 for a 1997 XJ6 with 36K??? I think you can find a 1998 XJ8 with similar miles for less than that!

$40,000 for a 1999 XJ8? Well... I'm in Orlando.. and.. well..I see what they sell for at auction... aiii... I've seen similar mile 2000s sell for that!

Those prices are QUITE high. I mean, as dealers, weneed to make some money and all.. but.. ouch!

As far as driving... I drive both quite a bit. Ya know.. the BMW IS an "edgier" car, theJaguaris more.. umm.. discreet about power delivery?

Bill
  • I think the jury is still out on warranties.
    Several of you have bought them, I know.

But, I am curious, any advice, based on experience?
    If so, what brands gave the best service and reimbursement.
    I hear of so many stories of "things" not being covered.
    Is that your hearing, too?

Anyone know of Wynns ?
    It is that name that is circulating in my part of the country and seem to be well thought of....but, I would like to know.

I am considering an extended warranty myself, so these questions are more than just curiosity driven.

Thanks, Jag owners, this is a special fraternity under the sign of the "CAT" !!
    Christchurch
  • jmm52jmm52 Posts: 3
    Bill, Thanks for your response. What do you think a good price is for a 1999 or 2000 XJ8 with 15,000 miles would be?

I am looking in the Tampa/ St. Pete area but would be willing to look at other reasonably close locations. There is a new dealer going up in North Tampa but they are not through with construction as of yet.
    -Jim
    I think that you ought to be able to buy a 2000 XJ8 with 15-20K on it in nice shape in a good color for really no more than $35-36K or so.

As far as a 99... Probably like $1,500-2K less.. if that. On a wholesale level, a 99 with 15K on it isnt worth much less than a 2000 with 15K. Why? The 99 is a low-mile car and carries a big premium. The 00 is an average mile car and does average $$...

Bill
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,349
    In your post 701 you said about the XJ8 " I am seriously thinking about a purchase but need to test drive the car for a while to see how I adjust to the handling and pickup". Check with Hertz and Budget about renting one for a few days. I have rented them from Budget a couple of times, always at airports. I also think I remember Hertz announcing that they were going to offer the Ford Premium Group cars, including the Jag.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

Good point.

And they do rent Jaguars almost everywhere in Florida... Youmay haveto do somesearching to find anXJ tho.. seems like most are S-Types.

Bill
  • I am in the market for a XJ. Most likely a 1999 or 2000. Since I live in Southern New England and do a lot of driving (25K per year), my question is this: How good is this car in snow and ice?

Also, any thoughts on why the depreciation is so high? Many thanks.
  • I would appreciate any information on service manuals for basic repairs and maintenance for
    the 1996 XJ6. The usual companies, like Haynes, don't seem to make them.
  • I just bought a "98" XJ8 this summer. I need new tires and I want to keep the factory recommended Pirelli's on year-round. Although I understand that the XJ8 doesn't go very well in the snow. What should I do? Should I buy a different tire for the winter. (I dont really want to store a set of tires.) Should I change the tire and go with a different brand that works better year-round?
    Please tell me what tire I should buy. Include tire make, model and size.
    Please tell me what has worked for you!
    First,

If you are going to drive your kitty in the snow (Which they are pretty good at believe it or not, especially with traction control or even ASC) you need to get your mitts on a set of good snow tires. The OEM tires are NOT even all-season rated.

Yeah, the OEM Pirelli P4000E tires may LOOK like All-Season P4000 SuperTourings, but they do not have an all-season tread compound

So get snow tires! I strongly suggest either of the following:

Michelin Pilot snows (H or V rated snow tires)
    Pirelli Winter 210Ps (No longer made... but they have a replacement that is the one that the Jaguar factory cars use in the winter).

See, if you get a set of typical snow tires, they are generally "Q" speed rated (99mph) and are atrocious on dry pavement. Higher speed rated snow tires (The Winter 210Ps used the same casings as, IIRC, P600s) are built as high-performance tires with snow tread designs and snow-oriented tread compounds so the car wont drive like a 77 Lincoln Town car (or worse)in the dry.

Hope this helps! (If you are in or near north Jersey, deal with precision tire and wheel on Rt 17 South in Ridgewood. Danny and Scott are amazing)

As far as repair manuals go.. Factory at the moment. And they are real expensive. Haynes makes one for the XJ40 which is just OK.. But its also only $13 or so.

Bill
  • Thanks to Bill for the info. I see that Haynes makes a manual for the XJ6 up to 1994. Would that model be useless for the 1996 or would the basic stuff be the same? Thanks,

Kevin M
    Glad to help.

The Haynes is OK for some things.. but, frankly, not on a lot of the things that you will be needing to fix on an X300...

Engine is similiar, but I would NOT use that book to do engine work anyways. Might be useful for suspension...

If you need a tech in Central Florida, I happen to know the best. Guy that I use personally and he;s awesome. (Long shot but who knows!)

Bill
  • I was in my dealership recently and looked at the new 2002 models they had. All were sporting Pirelli P6000's. The tread design looked to be of the "aqua tread" variety. A deep center grove down the middle with sideways groves heading off at about 45-degrees in either direction.

They didn't look very "radial" at all. These would probably suck worse in the snow than the P4000E's that were on the models through 2001.

Will the dealer remove the regular tires and put the snow tires on the same rims, or should we buy a winter set of rims too?

Thx.
  • They actually switched to P6000s in the USA for the 01 MY...

Well, the 01 Corporate demos I saw atthe auction tonight had em on :)

They have been OEM in Europe for years...

For snows, I'd use the OEM rims myself unless you can snag a set of 16" Jag wheels cheap on eBay...

BTW, the P6000s are awesome tires.

Bill
  • mveramvera Posts: 22
    A friend of mine just told me about a site that sells tires. Very good prices and cheap shipping charges. Just plug in the make, model & year of car and it will bring up what is available, cost and all the information you would want to know about them. Consumer info. available also. I found it to very helpful to comparing them also. The different Pirelli, Dunlop, Yokohama, etc are all listed. If you click of the search for "best Sellers" it will give you the top ones you would want to purchase for our cats. It also includes the "6000" series.

The site address is www.tirerack.com

Good Luck
  • I've always been intrigued by all Jaguar automobiles and will someday own one. However, I've heard that maintaining a XJ8 or any Jaguar car is very expensive. Can someone give me some insight on what you have paid in repairs or regular maintenance. Also, my friend has a 1996 325 BMW and complains about the cost of maintenance. Is a XJ8 more expensive to maintain than a BMW?
  • tirerack.com is very reliable to deal with. Usually they are cheaper to deal with, even with freight included. The only weakness I've found is that they don't carry every good brand, like Toyo, that you may want to deal with.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • If you buy a 2000, 2001 or 2002 XJ8, it'll come with 4-year bumper-to-bumper warranty service.

Older ones will not.

Typical dealer prices for a couple services are:

30,000 mi (major) service: $850
    Oil/Filter Change: $80
    Replace damaged underbonnet: $275

I would say that Jags are no more expensive to maintain than BMW's. Don't buy an S-type unless you can deal with an unresolvable shimmy at 70MPH.

For the most part, these cars don't breakdown like the earlier models and older V12's reportedly do.

If you can afford one, you won't be disappointed.
    My car insurance only went up $40/yr switching from a Jeep Grand Cherokee to a Vanden Plas.

Good Luck!
  • I'm happy that no one believes those dumb spy photos of the new XJ. Instead, would someone please PLEASE make this the new XJ. With just a change of the roofline it looks like four doors are going here. I'll bet that's what they're doing and they're going to let me have the first one! Yeah, that's it .......

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=9484

Take care.

Joe W.

• I am considering a used 2001 Jaguar Vanden Plas in white with only 500 miles. Is $59,000 a good price? My problem is that I am fickle and like to trade every year. I have a 2001 Audi A6 4.2 now, and wish that it were a little larger. I've never had a Jag, but a worried about depreciation. Should I lease new, or buy an older model? Lease periods are often too long for me. I did lease a Q45 for two years, but I bought a second car to keep on the side. :-) What are your thoughts on the Jaguar? Thanks!
  • Its purely a display of future design cues and trends.