Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• lesliejoylesliejoy Posts: 62
    A few weeks ago, I was filling up the tank and the automatic shut off went off. I pumped again and it again shut off, so I figured I was full. I didn't want to overflow the tank. When I got in the car, it registered 3/4 full. Thought I had a problem.

I went to a different station the next time I needed gas, and this time it went all the way to "full", with the automatic shut off. This time I thought the problem was probably with the other gas stations pump, and was relieved it wasn't my car.

Today I went to another station and the exact same thing happened as the first time. Only filled 3/4's but kept shutting off! Any ideas anyone? Guess I'll have to mention it when I bring the car back in. Really weird.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Posts: 491
    The leaper dangerous? So what about the Mercedes star? Or Rolls' Emily? I seem to recall that, in Germany, Jags have leapers again after they were no longer simply screwed on, but (like Merc's star) pivoted upon impact. Which of course means that the leaper takes a walk as soon as you park the car in a downtown parking lot... thusly, you don't see many cars with the leaper. Just like you don't see many Mercs with the star...
  • pablo_lpablo_l Posts: 491
    I think it's the pumps, and not the car. Try moving the pump around some, and position it somewhat differently. There are gas-stations I avoid because it does take a lot of fiddling around to fill the tank, and the tanks in Jags are not exactly small (and the XJR is not exactly frugal when it comes to gas consumption...)
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    a Jag Select Edition warranty...to take this to the extreme, as it really does matter, since Ford owns Jag, canany kind of a warranty be sold by Ford??? I have a dealer that sells an occasional Jag (had a silver XJ8L on the lot 2 days ago), is he selling ANY kind of warranty??? Since Brentwoodvolvo now has a lot to sell from, are you, Bill, an authorized Jag dealer, and can you sell either 1. any extended warranty or 2. the one and only Jag warranty?
  • vusicvusic Posts: 53
    97vdpguy: Thanks for the programming info. I will program this weekend!

D I D: I'm not looking for a date but I did run a carfax report on your Jag.
    It's a New York car, seems to be a 1 owner. Title is clean and no flood or salvage history.
    Here's the history list:
    11/4/94.......Registered as private vehicle.
    1/6/95........Title issued
    11/10/98......41K Miles, passed NY vehic inspec.
    12/1/99.......51K Miles, passed NY vehic inspec.
    12/27/00......63K Miles, passed NY vehic inspec.
    4/26/01.......sold at auction. Listed as dealer sale

Hope this helps.

DC
    Pablo, Thanks for the response.

I have an XJ8L and I'm always afraid of the gas overflowing onto the trunk!

I'll try "fiddling" with the pump should it happen again. Thanks.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Me?

Yeah, I got the $10,000,000 to buy a Jag dealership in FL :))

Suuure.... yeeaahhh... That's assuming one comes out on the open market in this lifetime.

I'll be dealing in a lot of used Jags tho.

1) I generally do not like extended warranties. And this from someone who (Until very shortly) owns part of 2 franchised dealers. They are generaly not worth the money. Also in FL they're an aggravation. Basically, if I dont sell them for list I'm putting my neck out on the choppingblock if the customer ever cancels.

2) The SE warranty is a heck of a value that being said... But I find that most are grossly overpriced and not worth it.

Bill
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Posts: 111
    If you overfill your kitty, the gas will escape thru a valve in the filling well and will empty underneath the car.

I know this because I was trying to "top off" my tank in my garage before a long trip last weekend. The Jag tank neck does NOT like gas can nozzles at all! I think I got a cup of gas in the car and about 1/3 gallon all over the garage floor.

The good news was that not a drop went onto the paint or into the trunk!

A little sand and a good airing out, and the garage is as good as new too!

My VDP is an XJ6-L wheelbase. I haven't had any trouble putting gas in. My Jeep GrandCherokee used to be able to take 1.5 gallons more after the pump would shut off. I think it had something to do with the design of the tank filler neck and the fact that the gas "foams" a little as the tank gets full. The foam causes the nozzle to shut off.

That's why I thought I'd try the gas can. Bad move!
  • lobarkerlobarker Posts: 5
    Thank you everyone for the advice (DC~ for the car fax, thank you).

I just looked at a 96 XJ6 at R-se-th-l. Not a very good salesman experience though. They wanted $24,900 it had 48,000 miles. They would not budge on the price.

No more Toyota/Honda's for me though. The test drive was all it took. Heck I may not even want a date once I get a Jag ;).

ox,
    Lorraine
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Posts: 111
    The Edmunds site says you should pay between $20,100 and $22,200 for that car, assuming it is loaded and in immac condition.

Go back in this forum and read Msgs #187-#190. Bill has provided some really good information on model years around what you're looking for and the profit the dealer should expect. Trade-in value on the car you mentioned is around $18,500. The rest would be dealer profit (minus any work they put into it).
    $24,900?

Hmm... probably an $18K or so wholesale car, figure $2K recon/select warranty. Wait. A 96 can't be certified. Figure $1,200-1,500 in recon.. assuming they did it "right" (fresh Pirellis, fresh brakes..etc..).

I mean, fair retail is like... if that car is mint and in a good color.. like $22K or so. Maybe $23K if its THAT nice...

The trick is, Jags go for a fortune if theyre super clean and super nice and low mileage. Now, a 98 XJ8 with closing in on 50K miles is like a $23K car or so... With 25K on it... Its suddenly a $27K or so car to buy. With 65K miles, staring me in the face.. I wouldnt put a dime over $20K on the thing.

That being said, Color and equipment can make a huge difference. And prices can swing wildly. A Madeira Red or Amaranth VDP is worth $3,000+ less thana White, Silver or Topaz one.

Still, Why be silly and buy a Camry? :) Glad ya saw the light!

Bill
    I always read that Topaz, white or silver are "good" colors. How does British Racing Green bode for resale? Is it considered "a good color"?
    Thanks.
    Actually.. Its' one of the weaker colors I'm afraid.

That being said, its' also the classiest IMHO :)

Best: Topaz, White (Esp in FL), Silver, Jade Green, Sapphire Blue, and then maybe Carnival.

Worst: Rose Bronze, Roman Bronze, Morocco Red, Amaranth, Madeira Red, Alpine Green, Emerald/Spruce/Sherwood Green, BRG.

That being said, I think that a Morocco Red 96 VDP is a stunning machine... And BRG is the classic Jaguar color, but the market sayeth otherwise.

Hope this helps!

Bill
    And Black is bad in FL, good in the northeast...
  • vusicvusic Posts: 53
    Thanks 97vdpguy! My garage doors are in complete sync with my wife's VDP. I love technology!

Our '99 VDP's color code (on the door sticker)is HGF. What the heck is that?
    Colors are definitely a perception issue. When we bought our's, I asked the dealer why the price was so reasonable. He said it wasn't a very desirable color.
    We live in the Northwest and people seem to go out of their way to comment on the color. Neither my wife, nor myself have done a fuel fillup without someone walking over to comment on the car.
    If you are zigging on a color when the rest of the market zags, cosider it a buying opportunity. If you hold on to the car for 5 years, chances are the rest of the world may zag with you.

DC
    Isn't that Jade? No.. thats different..

I dunno. Thought you had a Black one :)

Black is called Anthracite on 97-01 Jags...

Bill
    Thanks everyone for your responses to gas tank question and Brentwoodvolvo on color.

My 1998 XJ8L is British racing green and I do think it's classy! My other choice would have been Westminster blue, which to me is also classy.

Next question: Does anyone know if the front headrests are adjustable? Looked through the manual and it only mentioned the back headrests.
    If they are adjustable, how do they work? Tried pushing on them, but didn't want to break anything in case they weren't adjustable. Thanks in advance.
    I like BRG too :)

I mean, it is the national racing color of England!

On to the headrests... they adjust up and down electrically, just push north/south on the backrest switch on the side of your seat. (pushing the switch East-West moves the backrest fore and aft as Im sure you know :)

To adjust the swivel of the headrest, not the height, you need to push on it... do it somewhat carefully tho.

Bill
    Thanks Bill. It worked. Been trying to figure that one out for 2 months! You are a wealth of information - greatly appreciated!
    Glad to help! :)