Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• lesliejoylesliejoy Posts: 62
    I paid $28,500 plus tax two months ago for a 1998 XJ8L. I bought it from a broker here in Atlanta. It had 13,900 miles on it. It's British racing green. According to Bill, Topaz is a more desirable color, so it may cost more. The used car section at my dealership told me I save about 10,000, as they would have sold it for 38,000. I think you can probably find one for around 30,000. My broker advertises all the time and is usually around $27,500-29,000. I can give you his number if you're interested.
    Forgot to mention it was still under warranty until March 2002.
    Check out when the warranty expires on the 1998 (it has a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty). I found it helpful since there were things that needed to be replaced (bushings, front stereo speaker, hairline cracks on driver's door woodwork) all of which were still under warranty. Then I had a problem with stalling on the highway going 60 miles an hour! They replaced the ECM relay, as well as my battery since it was starting slow. This was all covered. I will be checking out getting an extended warranty before March, but I believe they are cheaper to get if the car is still under warranty. Just something to consider.
    Please let me know what you find out on the extended warranty and if the jaguar dealer will actually work with them. I too am researching. You might want to check prices at www.warrantydirect.com. They quoted me a good price. Just not ready to do it yet since my warranty is good until March 2002. Also want to make sure my jaguar dealer is willing to work with them. The dealerships also offer extended warrantees, but they are about $1,000 more.
  • christchurchchristchurch Posts: 125
    Thanks for the advice and timely response!

Regarding the 1998 XJ8
    Relative to the price I received (even though my price was on an XJ8-L), you seem to have gotten a fantastic deal - 10K to 12K under the price quoted to me and yours has nearly 20K less mileage. You really did well !
    I would like to hear what "Brentwoodvolvo Bill" thinks on this one.
    Next time I need a car I think I will have you buy it for me ! ! !

Seriously, I would like to know who your "broker" was and how you came to negotiate such a deal. Was it an "on-line" purchase ? Just curious?

It is my feeling that the best way to go is to buy is a "Select Edition" -certified- for it has the "Jaguar factory warranty extension" which, though more expensive, gives the most comprehensive and is easiest to deal with warranty, particularly, if taking your "cat" to the Jag dealer for service. This "official" Jag warranty extends from the expiration of the original factory warranty out 2 more years and up to 100K miles, whichever comes first.

As you note, you experienced high satisfaction with the original Jag warranty for it is extreamly comprehensive and covers all of the items you mentioned and many more. This exact same warranty would continue for 2 more years - extension period. You can't beat it,in my opinion.

As to the purchase of other so called extended warranties, "buyer be ware". The "hassle stories" are endless. Maybe someone else will "weigh in" on this one. I am leery of "good deals" on warranties till after you have the experience of using them, then you will see, and only then, will you know "if they are worth the paper they are printed on. Having said all this, I am still willing to listen to others experience

In any case, I would shop Jag dealers for warranties, if you are so inclined, and think you will find it worth your while to do so.

Thanks for the advice, information and hope mine is likewise helpful.

These "cats" are sure beauties!
    Christchurch
    The broker I used is BMW Import Service. Owner is Dave Razavi. Phone# 770 451-6211, Cell phone 770 861-4322. There was no negotiating. He showed us his receipt from the auction. He bought the car from Jaguar leasing for $27,500 and charged us $28,500. He only ups the price about $1,000. He gets these in all the time (maybe not with as low mileage as mine). You can always call him and let him know what you're looking for. When I went to him to look, he had 2 white ones and my BRG.

Thanks for the info on the warranty. My dealer is offering a 6 year/72,000 miles warranty for $2,723 with no deductible thru Warrantech. I found a 7 yr/70,000 warranty thru Warranty Direct on the internet for $1,875. Your opinion is that I go thru the dealer? I guess I wouldn't have any problem knowing that they're the ones who sold it to me. Just seems expensive.

Good luck with your purchase. Hope you find the right car. I love mine.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Sorry!

Thought I responded....

97? Platinum? Umm.,.. no color called that in 97... ?:|

Anyhoo.. if its' nice.. $25K is OK... those are great miles. Still, shoot for $24K or less as always!

98 XJ8L...

$37,000? Nutso $$. Nutso. $10K over wholesale. If its' a Select Edition I could see as much as $33,500 or so but $37,000 is WAY the heck too high.

Bill
    Thanks, Bill for the response on this one.

I inquired from my friend about the color. He said he thought it was platinum. Anyway, he said it is a beautiful light gray / silver looking but not silver as we usually see it on other cars. What was Jag's name for it?

If he picks up the car, what should he look for in this year and model? Any troublesome issues?

Bill, I know we have talked warranties before, but this one would not be any longer under the original factory warranty. Any suggestions?

My impression is as yours, if it is really 1st. class, I think he should go for the '97. (He did see '96 (maroon)with 64K miles going for 25K =/- Advice ? ?)

XJ6's are still fabulous automobiles with only slight modifications in later years. I know you are "still on the road" in style in an XJ6 and I think you said you are pushing the 112K range.

Any additional input would be appreciated, thanks!

Christchurch
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Posts: 298
    I believe that prior to 2000 the silver was called Meteorite. It has more black and less pearl in it that the current Platinum. Early run 2000 S-types were painted this color not Platinum.
    You could be right on the name.

Now that you mention itm I have seen that color on the S type and it is really quite stunning in a conservative, elegant way.

I have always had a preference for darker colors. I think that they give a classy look. That is why I still love the deep red / maroons and the British racing greens and never cared so much for white Jags.
    Anyway you color it though, these Jags are elegant automobiles.
    And, can anything in the auto world compare to the nteriors..."standard" or, and especially, that of the Vandan Plas !

"Let's let the "cats" out this weekend and enjoy one of the last classic motoring thrills... driving a Jaguar !

Christchurch
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    Found a Jag topic on a Thunderbird message board. These guys have no idea what they're talking about. SOHC V-12's, Ford FMX transmissions in Jags, XJ220's with V-12's (Ok, the concept did have a V-12, production was a turbocharged V-6)....

There's too much misinformation for me to even begin.

Check it out:

http://www.tccoa.com/cgi-bin/miscbbs.cgi?read=44008
    My impression is as yours, if it is really 1st. class, I think he should go for the '97.
    (He did see '96 (maroon)with 64K miles going for 25K =/- Advice ? ?)

Advice? Yes. Pass. That car with 64K on it is retail buyable for $19-20K, perhaps less.

The color your friend is thinking of is called Titanium. More of a Steel Blue/Grey.

IMHO, a beautiful color, up there with Sapphire as my favorite.

Warranties... I personally do not like them, but some people do. I generally feel they are a waste of $$. If you must, I guess... I dunno, shop around on the web maybe?

Bill
    95 Vanden Plas 128K
    97 XJ6 66K <--got smashed on Friday >:(
    00 XJ8L Topaz/Oatmeal 11K <--this week
    I agree the color Titanium is really beautiful.

(Incidently, he found a 97 XJ6 in Maroon? with 43K miles..... asking price 25K...a little less than perfect... what do your say ?)

Bill, what happened to your 97 Jag?
    How did it hold up? Safety issues?
    Are you OK?
    I don't like to hear of any of our cats being hurt!
    Take Care!
    Christchurch
    What you mean not so nice?

Pass.

Besides, $22-23Kish is, at the moment, closer to a fair price.

Yeah, the car isnt that bad... but there's some undercarriage damage...

I WILL be suing for diminshed value. >:(

Pics to come!

Bill
  • dpl95xj6dpl95xj6 Posts: 7
    Anyone out there know how i can get my hands on a 95 xj6 keyless entry remote device. the one i have is old and the dealer wants over $300 for a replacement. C'mon this device cannot cost the dealer more than $50? any help or info. would be appreciated.

Thanks Dave proud owner of a 95xj6.
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Posts: 111
    After just having spent close to $300 to replace the underbonnet that I tore on a parking lot tombstone with a spike sticking up through it..

Today I pull into the EXACT SAME SPOT, and my brain is going "Now, you remember what happened last time, so be careful...". So I ease in, thinking I'm leaving enough room. The next thing I hear is that awful thumping sound under the car.

So now I'm impaled on this damn spike again! Only choice is to back up... rrriiiipppp!

Sigh... I hate Mondays!
    Ouch !
    I hope no one recorded what you said when you "did it again"!

If you are like me, I am madder when I do the same "stupid" thing again.
    Anyway you have my and our collective sympathy!

Advice: Find another parking place.

Christchurch
    Glad you are not on the injured list.
    What happened, anyway?

Bill, what I meant, on that post, on the condition of the '97 was that the paint looks oxidized ( I know that is not a big problem, but may suggest less than loving care), has numerous stone chips and I understand that it has not been serviced "lately"... brakes, etc.
    It is an "as is vehicle", as I understand it.

The person interest is going to run a "Car Fax" report.
    He is half way interested because the price is in the bracket he wants to spend. Moreover, he is willing to spend a "few bucks" bringing the car up to par (detailing, routine service, etc.).

So the question is: Are you still of the mind he should pass even if he gets the owner into the 22-23K range?

Any reliability issues with the '97's. At this point, this seems to be His biggest concern.

Let me know and I will pass the info along.
    Thanks,

Let the "cats" run.
    Christchurch
    dpl:

Shoot, find one on eBay for $40 or so :)

And Jag parts are marked up roughly 70% or so over cost, pretty standard, but it varies from partlines... Rebuilt trannies arent that high, but other stuff is over 100%. Thats retail for ya.

Once ya get a nice used one (Make sure its for a 1995 or 1996... '97s use different frequencies.) Programming is easy..

97vdpguy:

Do what I do. Leave it off haha. I havent had one on one of the cars for years...

Christchurch:

I dont like buying rough cars myself. To me, an edgy car is an abused car and I am not thrilled with that. That being said, there's enough of them out there that he can be choosy. Only thing I can think of is the power steering column motors that go out...

Bill
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Posts: 111
    There was indeed a 1-inch wide "tear" in the underbonnet. I repaired it with Duct Tape (it's under the car, it doesn't show)on both sides of the tear and a cable-tie (the original one had sheared off) to hold the rear edge of the underbonnet to one of the suspension rods.

Late last night, I'm feeling these little "needles" as I move my hand around. So I think to myself, "Gee, it feels like I handled fiberglass or something". Then it hits me.. "Oh Yeah,..."

Christchurch: Thanks for the sympathy. My '97 is just fine. No problems to speak of. I've only got 35K miles on it though and have only had it myself for 4 months. I'm going to give Bill a run for his money on mileage. Don't know if I'll be doing power-slides around corners though... The seats would need to be a little more form-fitting for me to do that without flying all over the cockpit!