Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• Good to have you back on line after having missed your salient comments for a few days.

I am glad that you, too, agree about the importance of "wood, wood and more wood". As far as I am concerned, they can have a huge bonfire and through all that cheap vynal into it. It would be an environmentalits nightmare, but it would bring joy to all who long for the return of the days of the "smell of Connely leathers" and the visual beauty of accented wood.
    Let's keep encouraging Bourne Lane toward what was begun with the S. series, a "retrospective" design look which should include "classic interiors".

I concur that you are "right on" with the dual exhausts. Only one thing nicer and that is to hear the "throaty" sound of the "Jag cats engine purr" !

christchurch
  • arcoatesarcoates Posts: 221
    They do have a certain exhaust note that I haven't heard duplicated. Even when idling, it seems to puurrrrrrrrrrrrr like a kitten. Only a Jaguar!~ A.R.
  • edoddedodd Posts: 5
    A) Brown's Lane (in Coventry England)

B) Connolly Leather

C) The 12 Cylinder engine is one of the most robust engines ever produced. It is quite expensive maintain and that is usually the reason they are not in good shape. However a 6 or 8 Cyl. Jaguar is more expensive to maintain than a Chevrolet. It simply depends on if you are willing (or able) to pay more for the added benefits.
  • Thanks for the corrections.

I defer to you regarding the XJ12 having personal expience with it. I do know, however, that the JAG 6 has really been "old reliable". True, repairs are expensive but that is true with all foreign vehicles. There seems to be a propensity for Jag, Benz, BMW, etc. dealers to charge much higher shop labor rates. I don't believe that it is the result of these engines being more complex or more difficult to repair. Rather, I suspect that the rates are more tailored to the "exclusivity" of these top tier LUXURY brands.
    In any case, the pleasures of owning and driving these automobiles outweighs the higher repair costs, in my jugement. This is to say that there is a cost for pleasure and if you wish this expierence you have to "pay the piper"!

JAGS, be they be from "Bourne Lane" or "Brown's Lane", are worth the extra bit to go "first class".
    christchurch
  • I had a wind noise from the drivers side window.So I took it in to the Jag dealer before the warranty ran out. I found the "good" mechanic and he replaced the water pump( I didn't know it was leaking),cleaned the throttle body( car ran kind of sluggish- wife babies it around),had several little things that needed replacing. The expensive car mats had a hole in one and they will be replaced too. ALL ON WARRANTY. The dealership did about $4K worth of work all on warranty. I feel bad so I bought some headlight covers. I was really impressed with the bumper to bumper warranty.
  • I am still looking for this information.
    My friend is "on the verge" of buying this JAG with about 85k miles but is hestitent toward JAG and "high" mileage. I hope you can some advice and perhaps give a push toward JAG.

(1)Does anyone have any advice or experience on with a '95 JAG and
    (2) what is your opinion on this mileage.
    Good buy ?
    Alternative ?
    (3) What is your warranty suggestion ... company,etc. ?

Advice on XJ6 to pass along?
    christchurch
    I've had experience with a '95 Jaguar XJ6. It's a great car. Ours had about 92,000 km on it when we got it, and it's now got about 120,000 km. So that is a bit less than 85,000m I think, but still up there. It performs flawlessly. No trouble with the engine. As someone else said, it is the oldest design, so it had all the bugs worked out. It will run forever.

Get the Jaguar warranty if you can, because it is quite comprehensive. I would advise your friend to buy one- it has great power, good fuel mileage and is an all around fantastic car. Hope this helps~ A.R.
  • tajdogtajdog Posts: 2
    Christchurch, For what it is worth, before I bought my 97 vdp with 96k miles I had it checked out by mechanic I really trust & was told miles don't hurt these engines. Depends on how they're cared for, of course. If service records are available for the car & it checks out, you shouldn't have any problems. Butch (mechanic) said he had a couple of Jags under his care that had 175 to 200k on them & they were running fine. So far, I just love my VDP!! Also, couldn't agree more about the wood. I never would have believed how good wood feels on a steering wheel.
    Good luck if you buy. Taj
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Posts: 111
    I just bought a '97 VDP w/29k miles. Since I'm still on my first tank of gas, I was wondering what I could expect.

What are your experiences with XJ-series cars in terms of how economical they are?

I traded in a Jeep Grand Cherokee that got around 19 mi/gal.

Thanks!
    Can I change my regular headlamps for these new HID-style lights that keep blinding me when I drive at night?

Does anyone know the make/model number of these lamps?
    Changing over to the HID's is about a $750. It's not a bulb you can get, it's a whole new light system. I don't even know if any new Jaguar's have HID's yet, so it may be hard to get Jaguar to change them for you.~ A.R.
  • I'am new to the Jaguar world. I would like to be an owner. I have my eye on a 1994 XJ6 sedan.
    With 63,000 miles.The price is $16,000.00. Anyone out there that could give me any advice
    regarding this subject? ie: Was this a good year? etc. Thank You
  • shehzadshehzad Posts: 52
    1997vdpguy-Welcome to the club. I think you're going to love your jag. I clicked on your profile and see that you're from NOVA. I am too, and usually get 20-22 mpg in my XJ8, round trip daily commute from McLean to Woodbridge--most of the driving being done on 495/95, but since I'm going against traffic, I'm usually cruising at highway speeds. I have noticed, however, that city driving is terrible. 12-14mpg. I don't know what the 6's get specifically in terms of milage, but I'd imagine it'll be similiar to the 8's. I dunno if you bought your car from the dealer with the select edition warranty-if you did, get it serviced with them-but if you're out of warranty, just leave a note and I'll let you know the name of my mechanic in Tysons. He's great, and a lot cheaper than the dealer. Once again-you're going to love this car. There's nothing quite like it on the road.

blazer8282-To me, the price seems a little high--you should be able to bring it down a couple of 1000--the reason I say this is b/c the 1995 XJ6's, which had the altered body shape sell retail for 18-20k all the time, and since the 1994 is an older body style, the price differential between it and a 1995 should be more than 2k. Also, these cars don't really have much of a 2ndhand market, so you should be able to negotiate accordingly. As for reliability --I really don't know. I do recall that when the 1994's came out, there was this huge production about how Jag's were more reliable than ever before, and the 1994's were the start of an upswing in jag sales. Whether or not this actually panned out-i dunno. What I would recommend to you is to get the car checked out at a Dealer--not just your average mechanic, as these cars have quirks in them that if one doesn't work on jags one would tend not to notice. Pay the money, get it checked out, and if it does actually check out, buy it. If not, run as fast as you can. Also, some on these message boards have mentioned that it's smarter to buy a newer than an older Jag. I agree with this, as each year, Jag has has gotten better at increasing their reliability etc. Buy the newest Jag you can afford, and I think a 1993 or 1994 is about the right cuttoff from where you should buy and should not buy in terms of age. Mind you, I've never actually owned a 1994, so I'm not really an informed advisor, and what I've written is mostly just a summation of opinions that I've heard from others. Good luck!
  • areevesareeves Posts: 1
    Need to know from the group: 1. Where's the best pricing guide for Jaguars, e. EDMUNDS, CONSUMER REPORTS.COM?
    2. Any advise on '98 VIP
    3. Price to pay dealer
    4. Reliability?
    Thanks for the welcome! I work in McLean and live in Oakton, so my commute isn't that great. I just picked it up last weekend at Rosenthal Jaguar in Tysons.

The car was first put into service in 10/96, so I just missed the select warranty coverage. I put a 5-year/100,000mi coverage on it. I would appreciate the pointer to a reputable mechanic. I'll probably let Rosenthal do the 30,000 mile service on it in a month or so when it's due. Since I'm not sure if it was checked out before it was sold being out of the warranty period. Feels okay though...
  • bgmwbgmw Posts: 1
    Looking at the new 2001 XJ8, my very first one, and am interested in anyone's advice / opinions. The interior is a bit tight but I only took my first of a few test drives - cannot judge it by 20 minute test.
    Any history about mechanical problems? Or has Jaguar come around from what I have heard from others.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Posts: 491
    I switched to Jags after owning having owned three 3-series BMWs back to back. My Jag experience has been the most satisfying and reliable of all car brands I have owned. When I first moved to the US, I was told that Lex or Inf would be the most hassle-free. I experienced some annoying quality issues with the SC400 I first got, though. I then fell in love with the XJS convertible, and bought a '96 (last year). It never ever had any unscheduled stops.

A caveat: I would only go for Jags newer than '94 or so. Previous years do have patchy track records. A friend of mine bought a new XJ6 in '93, and it was a nightmare, the electrical system still acted up like mad.
  • netranger4netranger4 Posts: 149
    Sorry I haven't been able to locate the pamphlet from the elderly Jaguar salesman. Must have given it to the new owner when I sold it. Will post the advice as I remember it. Daily: (1)Check and top up lubricant and appropriate fluid levels using Castrol products. (2)Check and top up coolant with a 50/50 mixture. This is critical, especially with 12-cyl cars. (3)Check all engine belts for proper tension with screwdriver blade. Travel should be less than 1/2 inch. (4) With car running and warm from day's driving check cooling fan for proper operation. (5) Check for any oil seepage from engine or transmission areas, especially the overhead cam covers. Wipe suspect areas and recheck next day. Check for any signs of water seepage, leaks other than A/C moisture. (6)Check external lighting, headlamps, parking and reversing lamps. (7) For carburetted cars, be sure to check the oil level in the carburetter reservoir. (This advice covers Series 1 and 2 XJ cars. I usually did this in the evening when I got home before putting the car away for the night.) Note: These cars run with extremely hot underhood temperatures so belts, hoses and vacuum lines are especially susceptible to failure with no warning. My XJ6 Series II ran virtually flawlessly for many years using this advice.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Found this one late!

I'm pretty busy over in Smart Shopper..

FWIW, I have 121,000 VERY Hard miles on my Jade Green 95 Vanden Plas. I've had this one since new and I "drive it like I stole it" as the saying goes and she loves it. No oil consumption, and only 3 problem areas since new. The typical "up-down tilt-motor" problem with the steering column. Solution: Take it off "auto". And I broke a cupholder in 98 (Probably from forcing big gulps into it over the years.. $50 fix). Now the center AC Vents are loose. big deal. I still get cold :)

This is a car that has survived years of college, NYC commuting, and running the hell out of it on the FL Turnpike. It regularly makes the Orlando-Miami run at an average speed of roughly 80mph or so. With the CB I can cruise it at 90+. (Forget a radar detector, a CB Radio is the way to go.)

My dad is driving a Carnival Red 97 XJ6 and, again, it too has been bulletproof. It's only at 56,500 miles though so it's a baby. Bought this at auction back in sept. He loves it.

And I recently picked up one of the evil monsters >:) 99 XJR. Meteorite/Charcoal it's my 4th XJR (For those of you who know me I'm a dealer) and I love it. The speed limiter is 155, but it comes in smoothly. (I got real gutsy a few times on the Florida turnpike.. generally north of Stuart/Fort Pierce among the Orange Groves you can get lucky and the road is empty...)

And, another thing... the 95 VDPs are Short Wheelbase cars. The LWD came out in 96, 4.9" of extra room on the XJ12 and VDP. XJ6L came along in 97. Oh, and the VDP S/C came here in the spring of 99 as a 99 MY Car. Special Order only...

And I jus found out that one of our old XJ6s, a 1995 is pushing 200K. My family has a business in NY City, and one of our employees had as a company car a 95 XJ6. British Racing Green/Coffee..etc. After the 3 year lease ended in Nov of 97, she bought it as the miles were way over and the price was right. At the time it had closer to 95K on it. She lives in Upstate NY (near Newburgh) and commutes in and out of Manhattan daily. She also goes to Albany most weekends. Her car has also been very close to perfect reliability-wise. When I told her what it was unfortunately worth, she told me "For $6-7K I'll run it till it dies!"

For my money, you cannot beat a Used Jaguar for a car...

Bill
    Well said Bill- it's nice to hear from a dealer, who knows the cars inside and out. Some of the interior bits are a little finicky, like the cupholder, sunroof design etc... But all around, they are reliable, fun cars to buy used. I wish more people would realise you can get these beaties at a fantastic price if you buy used.~ A.R.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Welcome - nice to see you over here. There are several Jag conversations going on in Sedans, and a couple discussions on "High End" vehicles that may be of interest to you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Everyone in smart shopper thinks that we're the devil :)

Kidding...

Seriously, there are precious few problems with the X300s (95-97s)... And the X308s (98+) cars are likewise bulletproof.

Bill
    Who is the (possibly current... I've resigned) webmaster of www.jag-lovers.org/modern/
    See ya in the chat room.. in.. ohh... about an hour and a half or so.

Bill
  • Hello to all:
    I just bought a 1998 xj8 after nearly two months of shopping. Like many others who buy a Jaguar, this was my dream car. There is nothing like it for the exceptional beauty and styling, is there?

So, here's the story. I have been driving Japanese cars for ten years and came down to the Jaguar and Lexus as the final candidates. Obviously the kitty grande won. I bought the car from a reputable dealer and they have been great. However, after only three weeks of ownership, I'm feeling as if the blush is coming off this rose.

The new brakes put on the car when I bought it squeak mercilessly and a left turn often results in a low growl/whine from the right wheel side of the car. Yes, it has been back to the dealer already for these problems which were assumed to be fixed ( correction of the right wheel bearing and an anti-squeak glaze put on the pads).

Unfortunately these repairs did not fix the problems. Just a few days ago, a rattling noise comes in from the rear of the car. The car will go back to the dealer again in a few days but now I am crazily imaging every little whimper, bump, or noise as another test of my patience.

Don't get me wrong...the car drives and handles beautifully but I am nervous plus concerned that this is the beginning of many trips to the dealer.

Okay, thanks for listening...I just needed to get this out of my system.
  • Thanks for the replys and encouraging responses.

These Jags are great cars!
    If only people knew what "gems" they are other luxury cars sales would plummet
    For us, of course, this "secret" allows us, the enthusiasts, to buy several years back at great prices!

Thanks again for your sharing with all of us.
    christchurch
  • Welcome to the wonderful world of Jaguar ownership!
    I mean it literally when I say WONDERFUL.
    I can assure you that you will enjoy this automobile more than any other you have owned.

Now just a word of friendly advice."Hang in there!"

I have had similar expierence of annoying little nit picking problems with every car I have ever owned, both domestic and foreign, Mercedes, etc. included. There are always "bugs" to be worked out.

Consider these days and annoyances as the "shake down cruise" for your Jag.
    A good responsible dealer will get to the bottom of these quirks and resolve is all in due time.
    Remember,too, that this is a "pre owned vehicle" with some mileage. That means that you need to expect some "corrective maintanance".

The bottom line to remember is that when all is said and done, you will have a great car with many years of great driving experience ahead.

Let's hear how you progress.

Take the Jag out today and let the "cat run" !
    christchurch
  • net ranger has answered a query I made to him several weeks ago. Seems as though he had "sage advice" from a "friendly old mechanic".
    Now he has passed this on and it is the best advice I have seen on line.
    I am copying his note and calling attention to it so that all of you don't miss it.
    In fact, it would be good to print this and save it as "hard copy" and place in our glove boxes as a good reminder that regular and faithful maintance is the key to compatable ownership with these "cats".

Thanks,again, net ranger !
    Happy maintance supported motoring!
    christchurch

to christchurch on XJ care advice by netranger4 Mar 26, 2001 (04:37 am)
    Sorry I haven't been able to locate the pamphlet from the elderly Jaguar salesman. Must have given it to the new owner when I sold it. Will post the advice as I remember it. Daily: (1)Check and top up lubricant and appropriate fluid levels using Castrol products. (2)Check and top up coolant with a 50/50 mixture. This is critical, especially with 12-cyl cars. (3)Check all engine belts for proper tension with screwdriver blade. Travel should be less than 1/2 inch. (4) With car running and warm from day's driving check cooling fan for proper operation. (5) Check for any oil seepage from engine or transmission areas, especially the overhead cam covers. Wipe suspect areas and recheck next day. Check for any signs of water seepage, leaks other than A/I moisture. (6)Check external lighting, head lamps, parking and reversing lamps. (7) For carburetted cars, be sure to check the oil level in the carburetter reservoir. (This advice covers Series 1 and 2 XJ cars. I usually did this in the evening when I got home before putting the car away for the night.) Note: These cars run with extremely hot underwood temperatures so belts, hoses and vacuum lines are especially susceptible to failure with no warning. My XJ6 Series II ran virtually flawlessly for many years using this advice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • pablo_lpablo_l Posts: 491
    I have had my '01 XJR for 6 months now - and not a single problem. Not a single annoyance. It literally feels like is a carved out of a block of steel or something.

Previously, I had an XJS convertible for 5 years. And it never had a single problem. I think bringing the car in every 6 months for a look-over is what did it for me. I also guess I am lucky that the service department at my dealer is pretty good. The latter probably makes a big difference.
  • litlrivrlitlrivr Posts: 11
    I have a newly leased XJ8. The Pirelli P6000 high performance tires are a disaster in any snow or light slush. Fortunately, now that April is here northern MI will get little, if any, more snow. If we do the Jag stays garaged. Next fall it gets a set of Blizzaks. I have these on a Regatta that was prone to 360's in the snow and now the car handles beautifully. Admittedly we are comparing very high performance rear-wheel with not very high performance front-wheel, but trust me Blizzaks will make a huge difference.
    The car, though, is a delight. I would prefer a lights on when the engine is on feature and retain the automatic off feature. Did it by taping a black card over the back of the rear view mirror where the sensor is located.