Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• sho3sho3 Posts: 28
    I just recently purchase a 99 XJ8 which came with a phone and was wondering if I could use another
    phone with the Jaguar controls ? What about upgrading the premium sound system ?
    Thanks in advance
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Posts: 111
    Rfore,

I've got a '97 VDP and I love it! No problems save for one episode of "engine hesitation at speed". That was a symptom for which the recall/replacement of the EGR and some throttle component was supposed to fix.

I bought my VDP almost exactly one year ago with 28K miles and paid $32K for it. It's going to turn over 40K miles with my next tank of gas.

Hey, Bill - Have you ever seen the movie "Ransom"?? Our car is in it! Same make and color!! I did wince when Mel Gibson (or some stunt double) drove it out of a parking garage and scraped the front-end on the pavement. But that shiny '97 Jade Green VDP sure was pretty!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Lemme know what happens!

Bill
    Not really on either...

Easier to just keep/use the PIVOTS phone.

As far as Stereo goes, a Line-Level amp and better speakers would be the way to go.

Bill
    Yeah I saw it :)

Its actually a 1996 XJ12!!

Bill
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Posts: 298
    Jaguar phone systems use propritary hardware that would make it very challenging to use anything but a Jaguar phone with the system.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,392
    OK, it's not an XJ, but it's a close relative and I need the experience represented on this board. I was about 1/4 mile from my home (ie, cold engine) in my 2001 with 10K miles. I made a right turn from a stop; downhill road to downhill road. The car just died; engine, radio, everything. I restarted it, and it ran normally. No more dying. I would shrug this single incident off, except I would be less than thrilled if it happened on a merge into traffic, or for that matter in traffic itself. Any similar experiences? Any ideas? Thanks.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    The Jaguar experts may be familiar with something more Jaguar-specific. But, it sounds like it could be a loose cable somewhere. The first place to look would be the battery terminals.
    It sounds stupid and simple. But, quite often, the simple solution is often overlooked.
    The ignition switch, or its wiring, is another possible culprit.
    OK so I can't use another phone with my Jaguar,
    if I get the Jaguar phone activated is it possible
    to use multiple phones with the same account. I have another car and I don't want to pay for two
    phone contracts.
    Mike would know better (I honestly forget)

But that may be a Digital phone on the 99s...

Bill
    Have your dealer check for fault codes.

Any time a Stall happens, its loaded and saved in the car's ECU memory as an "event".

Or, it may just be a fluke thing :)

Bill
  • I'm trying to find an online document or a document that someone has to scan of the Security System for the XJ40. I have a 94 XJ6 and when I purchased the vehicle, it didn't come with a manual for the security system. I'm having problems I'd like to fix. It is clicking about 5 times when I put the key into the door lock. Also the back doors are not unlocking for some reason, but the two front doors unlock. If anyone knows of the problem or where I can get help on this problem please let me know. I have tried to get a Manual but it is had to get and I don't want to spend $100 for a new book if I can find info on the internet. <-- not trying to be cheap.
    Thanks,
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Posts: 298
    If the car is older than 2001 it is an analog phone. I would recommend calling your cellular service provider and discussing your options with them.
    Few things...

1) DOyou have a remote? If not, is the rocker switch for the "security system" inthe "on" position? (On a 94 its under the center armrest..)

2) You prolly have bad rear door lock actuators. Not the end of the world. But try this. MANUALLY unlock all 4 doors and try locking and unlockingthe car. That may get them to work..

Bill
  • Yes, I do have a remote for the car. Also I have tried the method that you suggest but that didn't work. But, if it was the actuators that are bad, would they go out at the same time?
  • pablo_lpablo_l Posts: 491
    Considering they plan to sell it pretty soon, they've managed to keep the design very secret...

or maybe they've gone back to the drawing board after seeing the response a "revolutionary" design like the Beemer 7 series gets. That screw-up really opens up a door for the Jag to establish itself as a combination of driver's car and luxo-limo...
    Has anyone succesfully programmed the built in
    garage door opener ? My Garage door opener is a
    newer one with the roaming codes, I follow the directions listed in the owners manual with no luck. Also in the manual it says call your Jaguar
    Dealer if you are un-successful, why, will they
    come out and program it for me? Man owning a luxury automobile is complicated :)
  • hyperion1hyperion1 Posts: 17
    I have a 1998 XJ8 with a garage door that has roaming codes. In addition to the Jag procedure, you need to locate a button on your opener motor which when pressed will place the unit into "learn" mode. Next, proceed with the Jag programming instructions as specified in the manual.

FYI I have a Genie opener.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Posts: 491
    ...the button on the opener is the key to this. You got to sit with the user guide to the Jag on the right knee, and to your garage door opener on the left knee... and it'll still take you an exasperating hour... I can't believe how user unfriendly most of our gadgets still are...
  • I am looking for some input on a '92 XJ6 VDP,4.06L engine, 102K+. I will be a first-time owner and would appreciate any input someone may have. This is the second owner. I am wondering what, if anything in particular, I should be aware of. Thank you
  • tbodentboden Posts: 4
    I recently bought a 93 xj6 and when i got it home the radio went into lockout it says (code) when i push buttons it says (wait) how can i find the proper code for this
    Ahhh...

You Locked it!

Here is what you need to do, you need to get the radio code from the dealer (Unless it is still with the manuals to the car).

In order to do this, you need the radio serial number. Now, there's two ways to get this.

1) Pay dealer to pull radio and get code.

2) Pull radio yourself, get serial # off back or radio, take to dealer.. get code.

TO REMOVE RADIO:

(This isnt too tough really)

First, you need to remove the ashtray. Open the center console, unscrew the screws that hold the cubby in place. Then pop the ashtray out carefully (You'll need to unplug the wires that plug to the lighter housing).

Once you have done that, the "Ski Slope" piece of wood has to get out. First, remove the crome and leather piece around the shifter, they just pop off easily.. but be careful not to bash them all aprat. they are a bit fragile.

OK, got the ashtray assembley and the shifter indicator trim off, right? OK, in front of where the ashtray goes, under the wood, are two white plastic thumbscrews... undo them carefully, and then CAREFULLY remove the piece of wood. Once you have the wood pulled up and out, then you'll see a black plastic housing that holds the AC control panel, clock/lock/light switches and stereo. Undo the 6 or so screws holding it in, and out comes the radio.

Serial Number is on the back fo the radio.

Or, just look under the hood for a 4-number code... sometimes it is there. :)

Hope this helps!

Bill
    Since ya entered the wrong code 3+ times, the radio is locked.

Key on, in acessory position (Dont have the dash lights on... radio on, but no dash lights or AC)and let it sit for 2 hours.

Radio will unlock itself.

Bill
  • tbodentboden Posts: 4
    thanks for the info bill. it went smooth and the radio is working fine now
    Cool! :)

Now I got a 94 On the lot that I have to do the same thing with.. 'cept I have to pull the radio to GET the code..arrgh!

Bill
  • exoticarexoticar Posts: 13
    Hi all !!! :-)

New to the Jag forums, though I did post already in the XJ-S specific forum as there was a lot less to read so far, but sure tok me long enough to read ALL the posts in this one.

Glad to be a new addition to a select group :-)

Bill, thanks for the "welcome" in the other place :-) ... say ... Bill as in William? If so, same here :-)

By the way, as I've not yet seen my car (1990 XJ-S), what can I expect color wise? It's supposed to be a darkish blue in and out. Any nice? What's the name of the colors?

Hmm...

Its' probably a color called "Solent Blue" or perhaps "Tungsten Blue" (Get me the color code off of the door jamb and I can check) which is a deep, slightly greyish, metallic blue. Very classy and understated. I like it.
    You're gonna LOVE it. Just remember the V12 Mantras:

DO NOT EVER EVER EVER EVER OVERHEAT IT! EVER!

Fresh Castrol 20W50 every 3000 miles. Check level every 500 (They leak and burn some.. thats normal.)

All will be well :)
    Bill (William Weismann.. lol)
    I'm having a hard time filling up my XJ8, after about 10 to 12 gallons the gas pump shuts off.
    I've tried reducing the flow without any success
    I don't recall having this problem the first or
    second time I filled the tank. Any suggestions
    could it be a problem with my gas gauge not reading correctly ?
  • exoticarexoticar Posts: 13
    Thanks Bill,

I just did a search on those two colors and they are both nice, at least now I can start seeing it in color at night rather then just plain black and white :-)))

V12 Mantras ....... !???...... hummmm ..... heuuuuu ...... nawwwww (knock on wood)

Overheat is rarer up where I live but of course I'll always have at least one eye on that gage, however it seems that the Bars Leek stuff had been taken care of when the owner started to bring it to my friend's place.

Oil leaks? As in those from the valve covers that make you need to change the alternator every year? Nawww .... that too was taken care of with the proper newer gaskets :-)

20W50 .... !!??? I seem to remember having read only about 10W30 and 10W40 in the forums so far. What's the advantage of 20W50 ? Though I was considering going synthetic .. good or bad idea?

By the way, do you sleep on-screen to reply soooooo fast !?? ;-)))

Sure hope it'll be closer to one week than two before it's in my driveway :-)
  • hyperion1hyperion1 Posts: 17
    I had the fuel sending unit replaced in my 1998 XJ8 so I wouldn't be surprised if yours is bad. Fairly common glitch.

Ted