Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• If it's blusih green metallic.. (Teal) And it be a 1995...

It be Kingfisher Blue!

HFE is aka Kingfisher Blue. The only other blues offered in 1995 were Sapphire Blue (Deep Royal Blue) and Ice Blue (Silver with blue tint). However, Sapphire was not available on XJ6s in 1995.

You color was sold from 1993-1996.

Congrats and welcome to the "club" The car sure has heck beats a new Camry LE, huh? :)

Bill
  • raprorapro Posts: 30
    I am thinking about possibly buying 95-96 XJR with no more than 70,000 miles on it. I haven't found the actual car yet, but before I do I would like to get an opinion on the reliability of these cats. I got a quote for extended warranty from warrantygold and it doesn't look good. It's tripple the cost of a warranty for an Infiniti Q45 in similar condition. This gave me a pause and almost dissuaded from even thinking about it, but it doesn't cost anything to get second opinions.

So my question is what can I expect as far as reliability goes, the cost of parts and such. Is it possible to get Jag parts discounted? Is it advisable to guy this car without extended warranty?
  • Well..

The XJR is an excellent car! As far as reliability goes, if you buy a 1995, you really want to try and stay with a 5-95 or later production car. I.E. Go for a 1996.

As far as warranties go.. the problem with Jaguars is that the still have lousy ratings in the actuarial tables that these warranties are based on (Irrespective that an XJ8 is a more reliable car than a BMW or Mercedes and at least as good as an LS400 or GS400)

So, for $3,000, is it worth it?

Well.. Since about 1-97 my 95 Vanden Plas has been out of warranty. Since then, I've paid under $500 in repairs. I have also been quite lucky, even though I beat the snot out of the car. Also, I never did get the $250 steering column tilt motor fixed.. I just took it off of "Auto".

(VERY Common fault on 95+ Jags... up there with rust on old Fiats)

There are also a lot of places to buy new and used Jag parts at a discount..

http://www.jagbits.com

http://www.coventrywest.com <--Lots of salvage parts.. some great buys there! Why buy a new, say, Wiper motor?

Bill

• Took a spin in a '99 VDP, about 33k miles, carnival red...certified...they were talking in the area of $40k. Sound a little high to you?

-RB
  • vusicvusic Posts: 53
    We purchased a '99 VDP the first part of June for $35.5k with 33k miles on it through e-bay on the internet. It wasn't certified but my local dealer has taken care of any requests (which have been minimal).
    The car is fantastic.
    Bill can tell you more about wholesale/retail, but if you get in the ballpark of where your comfortable, they're great cars.

DC
  • Not outrageous like some of the ones I have seen.

Figure that's a $32K or so car at the auction.
    (Wait, is it more of a Brick Red? A 99 ought to be Madeira, but could be Carnival I suppose by special order)

So figure $2K ontop of that (optimistically) in recon and certification... That's $34K...

Etc...

IOW, Its' a lot, but gee.. you get the free extended warranty :)

That beign said.. I'd say $37K or so is reasonable.

Out of curiosity... Who has it?

Bill
  • $32k at auction??? jeez!

I don't know what they called it, but it seemed to be a darker red than what I assumed was Carnival, now that I think about it.

Didn't you post before that the Madeira was a crappy color?

Oh yea, they have it at Cherry Hill Jag...Classic I think the name is.
  • Crappy as in crappy resale.. Some people Like Madeira, I think that it looks nice with Cashmere leather myself.

Personally, nothing looks like Sapphire Blue on one of these guys.

While we're at it... On VDPs...

But the cheap colors are in descending order:

Rose Bronze (95)
    Roman Bronze (01)
    Amaranth (98-99)
    Morocco Red (94-96) I happen to like this color
    Alpine Green (99-00)
    British Racing Green (95-96)
    Spruce Green (96 and 98 and 00)
    Sherwood Green (97)
    Anthracite (97-01) Especially in the sunbelt
    Madeira Red (98-00)

Expensive Colors:
    Topaz (95-01)
    Glacier White (90-96)
    Spindrift White (97-00)
    Platinum (00)
    Meteorite (98-99 Special Order, but quite a few exist)
    Sapphire Blue (95-98, none in 99, Avail in 00)
    Jade Green (93-97)
    Ice Blue (95-97)
    Carnival Red (95-96 and again in 00)

Bill
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    British Racing Green, is about halfway down the crappy list. I guess this is good, cause when I get the money to start looking for a 95 or 96, I won't have to pay a premium on the color I want!
    Being crappy has its advantages!
  • I looked at Edmunds' color list and I finally see the difference between Amaranth and Sapphire. I think all the cars I've seen in blue are Amaranth if these color swatches are correct. I don't think I've ever seen sapphire in any good car pictures yet.

Also, the tiny color color samples here make it difficult to tell between Madeira and Carnival. They look too similar here. Am I right in assuming that Carnival is a 'redder' red...almost like a dark red but very deep and bright, if I'm making any sense at all?

I wish there was a good place to compare all the colors, not these tiny squares.
  • I found a better shot of Amaranth. It's purple!!
    No wonder.

Bill, you didn't list Mistral in that last post.
  • Mistral is not a VDP Color :)

But it is upper midpack pricewise... depends on the market I suppose. Seems to actually do a little better up north.

http://www.vauxhallpa.50megs.com/paintwork.html

THAT car is Carnival. Madeira is a "Brick" red.

Amaranth is Purple. Eggplant Purple. Sapphire is a Deep Royal Blue (Quite attractive).

Bill

• This topic seems alot quieter than it used to be.

Here's one for the crowd:
    Vanden P vs. XJ8L...do you think the VDP is worth several thousand $ more at typical retail, all else being equal? and why?

From what I see, the differences are mainly the exterior trim and the interior tray tables, plus some other decor. Am I wrong?
  • You're right. Same trim and drivetrain, same option availability.

I think they are worth the $4K or so extra because I like the toys and the picnic tables :)

But then again I also like Vauxhalls... hehehe

Bill and his toys.
  • I like the picnic tables too, but not for $4k! Especially since I'd personally never use them (since I'd be driving).

What other toys are there?
  • Autolux Leather and a lot more of it... Nicer wood.. More Chrome.. Hideously ugly wheels on 98-00s...

Thats about it mainly...
    Bill
  • (1) Does anyone know if it is possible to add "On Star" GPS location and emergency aid system to a 1996 SJ ?
    If so, price / how / from whom -let me know.

(2) I am considering adding an extended warranty.
    Does anyone have any advice?

What companies and what experience?

(Anyone had experience with "Wynns" or "Great Lakes" ?)

These are great cars and I am always interested in keeping them first class and when I can improve them.

Thanks !
    Christchurch
  • Was out and about on errands and spotted an (approximately) XJ12 of 70's vintage. Had seen one of this color years ago..believe it was called Fern Gray. Kind of a pea soup color. Looked at my old color chart (now faded) whatever happened to Sable, Signal Red etc. Just reminiscing. Those tended to be hard colors though as I remember, not metallic. Wonder if Jaguar ever considered putting some of the classic colors back into production?
  • Thanks for the warranty info.
    My car has more than 60000k miles.
    Is there any other warranty that "Warrantech" offers than the one you selected?

Incidently, what is the e-address of "Warrantech"?

Take a look at my post at #769...any advice on these two companies: "Wynns" or "Great Lakes"?

Thanks for the advice!
    Christchurch
  • I posted about this a while back. It turns out that this phenomenon might be traceable to the reason for the recall on late model V6 engines. The letter I just received from Jaguar about the recall lists that exact symptom as being related to the EGR valve and throttle system. Under the recall, Jaguar will replace the EGR valve, computer chip and throttle cable.

Hopefully, this will fix the problem I and others have experienced.

FWIW, My VDP is Jade Green. I think it looks classy!