Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• xkssxkss Posts: 722
    here is a picture of the XJ's aluminum chassis.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/images/04jagxjbody.jpg

The new XJ's chassis is 40 per cent lighter than that of the equivalent steel body and 60 per cent stiffer than its predecessor.
    Jaguar's V-8 first came out with the 1997 XK8.

Check out the following link:

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/v8_performance.html
    This is the best forum for the new aluminum Jaguar XJ. It has a lot of information:

http://www.dandmbr.co.uk/jaguar/
    Jaguar's flagship XJ,

the 2005 Super V8 which has the longwheel base, plus the XJR's Brembo brakes, 4.2 liter 390 hp superchared V-8, with a softer suspension than the XJR, and all of the options standard

weighs over 800 pounds less than the BMW 760Li. It also costs around $27,000 less than the 760Li.

Pictures and information on the 2005 Jaguar Super V8

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=- 2046

Super V8 vs. 760Li

http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?&c=0&n- =3&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=1&v=t99092&a- mp;v=t100421
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=17&article- _id=9014

At 40,000 miles it did 0 to 60 in 4.7 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 13.2 seconds at 107 mph.

The new aluminum Jaguar XJ has a 6 speed ZF automatic transmission in case you were wondering.

The new XJR and Super V8 both come standard with Brembo brakes.
    - check for Nikasil problems in the engine. It affects 1998-2000 XJs.

- Brembo brakes came standard on the 2002 XJR 100 along with BBS wheels. The "100" celebrated the 100 anniversary of the birth of Jaguar's founder, Sir William Lyons. Brembo brakes also came with the optional R1 package on the 2003 XJR along with BBS wheels.

- check for timing chain tensioners for 1998-2000 XJs
    The new XJ's outer headlights are larger than the inner headlights like the 1968 XJ. The previous XJ's headlights were the same size.

The new XJ's wheels are pushed to closer to the corner's of the car for better handling and stability.

The previous XJ did not have its wheels pushed out to the corners.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    And it all sounds very promising for Jaguar, and Ford. Thanks for sharing.
    the next Jaguar XK8 will use the new XJ8's aluminum chassis.
    it shows data for the 05 XJ:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_Exterior.aspx?modelid=1122- 4&trimid=-1&src=VIP&tab=2&sub=3
  • My father just bought an 05 XJ8L and asked the technicians at the dealer if the driver seat could be reprogrammed to just go straight back when the ignition is turned off, rather than back and down. He has a bad back and the lower position made it difficult to get out of the car. The techs did not know how to do this so they just disabled the feature altogether. Now when he locks the car after getting out the seat moves all the way forward. If anyone knows how to fix this problem I would be very appreciative.
    does the XJ8L have memory seating?
  • How is that Elite Auto in Braintree? I've been looking for a reliable place to bring my XJ8.
  • Yes, it has 2 driver memory settings. That is not an issue, the seat memory has been set so that it is in the right position for driving when he pushes the memory button. It just doesn't stay there after he locks the car.

Are there any Jaguar dealers on this site who can look into this?
  • if you do not want the seat to move move the knob on the steering column off of the "column adjust auto" setting.This will disable the exit feature.
  • Thanks, I'll look into this. But I'm pretty sure that's what the dealer did.
    is 60 % lighter and 40 % stiffer than if it were steel.

• I would like to add Satellite Radio (XM or Sirius, doesn't matter) to my 2002 XJ8. I would like the tuner portion to integrate with the current head unit, so nothing "sticks out" and perhaps can be hidden in the center console. Does anyone have any experience with this, what model might work best, etc? Thanks!
    I don't like either one, personally.
  • melmel2melmel2 Posts: 6
    The 2005 Super V8 should lead all Jaguar automobiles in publicity. Today, people follow what rappers, Hollywood stars and sports stars drive. Jaguar needs to advertise the Super V8(especially the interior) in magazines which cater to young audiences and other Jaguars would increase in sales. Television stations such as MTV, VH1 and BET would be great target audiences.
    While I think Jaguar should market the new Super V8 more, I don't think they should advertise in DUB magazine or something like that. The new aluminum XJ just is not a bling car like this...

2005 Jaguar Super V8

• jb7227jb7227 Posts: 86
    Just about ready to buy new XJ8 (2004). In case nobody noticed, there are tons of new '04s left out there - and my local dealer is advertising NEW (not demos, VIP cars, or the like) XJ8 short wheelbase equipped w/heated seats, steering wheel and 18" wheels for $ 48,249. He told me he could get almost any color (the hardest to get would be black, since that seems to be the most popular). My Dad bought a brand new 1987 XJ6 in 1986 and it cost nearly $ 40,000. I'm no mathematician, but a 20% price increase over 19 years doesnt sound too bad to me! Anyone out there have a Quartz color Jag? How do you like it? It's my second choice behind black.
    I think slate looks much better than Quartz. Here is an 04 XJR in Slate. It is gorgeous in person.

I agree - and I just changed my mind from Quartz to Slate. I thought that Quartz looked a little bit greenish (you never really can tell from the paint chips in the brochure). What color do you have inside? In the XJ8, I believe that w/Slate you have a choice of Charcoal or Dove, but with the VDP (I may lean toward one if I can find a 2004) I think you get an Ivory interior. Thanks for the help - the car looks great!
    Just to let you know - picked up my new Slate/Charcoal XJ8 yesterday - it is stunning! I am so glad I didnt go with Black or Quartz - there seems to be tons of black Jag's out there and Quartz just doesnt look right. The car is fabulous. Picked it up with 40 miles on it - already have 200 with an average mpg of 26!
    That's a good mpg rating for only 200 miles. Usually they haven't computed enough data to give you much info yet. Mostly highway, I presume?
  • figaromdfigaromd Posts: 18
    YES ALUMINUM IS NICE BUT THE JAGUAR-NESS IS ALL GONE. I COULD NOT TELL IT'S A JAG FIRST TIME I SAW IT. PLUS MOTORTREND SAYS THE RIDE QUALITY SUCKS. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY 1986 XJ6 VANDEN PLAS. THE NEW JAGS JUST DO NOT TURN HEADS ANYMORE. AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE BABY WANNABEE JAG X-TYPE OR THE WAGON!!!!
  • figaromdfigaromd Posts: 18
    PULL ALL THE JAGUAR ADS, THEN MAYBE JAGUAR WILL REGAIN ITS EXCLUSIVITY AND JAGUAR-NESS AGAIN.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    are very difficult to read and they come across as shouting.

So kindly unlock your caps key for future posts - we'd all appreciate that very much.

:)