Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• soswicksoswick Posts: 1
    The same thing has happened to my 1997 xj8 sport 3 times now since I got her in April this year. First time I was on the outside lane doing 70 mph, not nice, managed to make my way over to the hard shoulder where she started with no problem. Second time, the same again. This time I'm not so lucky, she stalled at some traffic lights and would not start, had to be towed back to the garage.
    After looking on the web tonight I found this site, and started reading that I'm not the only one with this problem. I have found that the main reason in all most cases is the "THROTTLE BODY", so I'm going to pass this info onto the garage in the morning, hope to save them some time in fixing the problem.
    If they find that it is something different, then I'll post the reason on here.

soswick.
  • bigbenzbigbenz Posts: 6
    Hi,
    I'm looking at a couple XJRs but I've read in the specs they they don't get the "Best" gas mileage. Can you guys give me some insite from personal hands on experience in driving these? :shades:

Thanks
    Hi,
    I was looking at purchasing a 97/98 XJR and I read that they wern't the best on gas. Can someone tell me a little more about how bad they are "If this is true."

Thanks
    :confuse:
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    They're as good as any large, powerful sedan you may buy. What did you expect?
    When you say good as any powerful sedan do you mean 15-20 Mpg like the BMW 740IL or the Mercedes S500 or 19-25mpg like the Lexus LS400?? :confuse:
    Yes, more like the Bimmer & Benz..... You know, European sedans. The LS is smaller, especially the 400.
  • gwcatongwcaton Posts: 3
    I am in the process of purchasing an 87 XJ6 which has some incredibly nice wire wheels on it but believe it or not I would like to put some original wheels on it. I know someone who has a set that looks like new that he took of his 87 when he bought it new. They look newer than the wire wheels !
    Anyway, what would be a fair price for the original wheels ?

Thanks ,
    Gary
    Thanks for letting me know. I'm replacing a Mercedes S class and thats one of the disappointment I have with it. I do ALOT of city driving and it's nothing for me to put $400.00 a month in gas. I need something that's still classy but will do better on gas mileage.
  • pefitopefito Posts: 4
    I got a set of wheels for my '89 XJ6 Sovereign and I paid $ 300.00 Canadian and are in perfect conditions, like new.

JV
    Thanks for the input . While we are on the subject what would the jag wire wheels sell for ?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,344
    Is there a plethora of 04 XJ8's for sale on the Right Coast?

They are from 7.5k to 10k more on the Pacific Coast.

TX Cars 4 Less are lower priced, but still quite a ways from the NW for inspection.

There seems to be just 3 markets Left, Right, & Down. :(
    Picking up our first XJ6 this saturday, an '87, and was wondering
    if anyone could educate me as to why the production was so low that
    year .

Thanks,
    Gary
  • I really hate 2004 and 2005 body style of the jaguar XJ8. I would like for Ford to return it to it original european style. Ford are you listening.
    If anybody shares my view please let me know. :( :mad: :cry: :confuse: :sick:
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Posts: 55
    Wildcat, looks are in the eye of the beholder. So I can't really disagree with your opinion, but I would say I love the new body style and will probably get one when I get a new car. The car looks very similar to the older version, however got "MUCH" needed additional interior room. I would never have gotten the old XJ8 because it was so narrow inside. The new one has much more room. I like the looks and think the car is a value buy compared to S class, 7 series, and A8. I would prefer each of those cars somewhat to the XJ8, but the price is much lower.
    I'm sorry - but I totally disagree with you - I like the 04's and 05's just great. And, they were designed in GB, so they're European, I believe. If anything, I don't think they went quite far enough in updating the design. It's so close to the previous model, you really can't tell unless you can check the taillights, which one you have. ;)
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    I really hate 2004 and 2005 body style of the jaguar XJ8.

The new XJ's wheels are pushed out to the corner's, like the 1968 XJ. The previous XJ had a lot of front and rear overhang.

The new XJ's outer headlights are larger than the inner headlights, like the 1968 XJ. The previous XJ's headlights were the same size.

The new XJ has a curve in its rear door, like Jaguars of the 50s and 60s. The previous XJ did not have a curve in its rear doors.

Here is a link to the 2005 Jaguar Super V8. [B]It weighs over 800 pounds less than a BMW 760Li.[/B] It is the new XJ flagship. Geoff Lawson styled the new XJ. He died in June 1999. He also styled the new Jaguar S-Type.

2005 Jaguar Super V8

XJ's aluminum chassis.

• blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Gee, most of the auto rags think that the new body style is way too close to the old style (which no one ever thought was vulgar) for Jaguar's own good.

What is vulgar, is the resale. Not so incidentally, Friday's WSJ had an ad for a 2005 Jag XJ8 LWB lease deal that was interesting: $795 a month with no $$ down for 24 months. The kicker was that the Jag factory/dealer was going to kick in $6250 of "Jag cash". I read this as a $6250 reduction from list price. I was puzzled. Why just 24 months? Wouldn't the depreciation curve start to flatten out then?
  • Although I do agree of more overall room on the inside and better technology BUT the inside is cheaply made. Some of the luxury that we are accustom to have been deleted such as the burl walnut veneer trim on all four doors are replace with black plastics. The burl walnut veneer trim around the center console of the inside cabin for cd's or radio in no longer there.

I absolutely detest where they have put the taillamps, it is repulsive and takes away from the body of the jaguar.

They have done away with the beautiful chrome that surround the outside of the jaguar with ugly FORD BLACK PLASTIC. This car looks totally an AMERICAN FORD JAGUAR with some European similarities. :lemon:
    How much mileage was allowed? Probably one of those 10,500 mile/year leases. Those won't work for me - but some old geezers who never drive can use one. Ford has done 24 month leases before, lots of 'em. They seem to make them work. I'm sort of glad they are coming back.
    Interestingly, no mileage was quoted (nor buyout figure, etc.). I thought that this was now required in all ads. It did say to see www.Jaguarusa.com for complete details. Slight correction: the ad was not in the WSJ but in Saturday's Boston Globe.
  • A questions came up the other day among us Jag owners.

The discussion centered on the following:

Is it wise to switch to a synthetic in older XJ 6 and XJ8 engines as the synthetics are touted as having longer life and better lubrication qualities ?

There were conflicting opinions on this nor did anyone know if there an "official" Jaguar position?

Anyone have an expert opinion / experience ?

Christchurch
    Not in a Jag, but experience as follows:

1966 Mustang 289, 130,000 miles & owned since '67 finally contained Mobil 1 two years ago and no problems, leaks, or any kind of negative results.

The myth it would cause leaking prevented me from trying it for many years, but after using it in our other cars for over 20 years I gave it a try. The Stang has never run smoother, quieter, & stronger.

Mobil 1 is the one. :)
    I had a look recently at the build your own Jag section of the Ford.com web site. Amazingly, I found that the Jag XJ options are very reasonable compared to the Germans. A complete cold weather package (3 stage heated front AND rear seats, heated wood wheel and heated windshield) is $1300 or so. Thats a fantastic price on a package that anyone living north of Washington, DC should snap up. Kind of makes the XJ into a real winter car. Interestingly, many manufacturers don't even offer heated back seats any more (e.g., Saab) or you can't get them with a heated wheel (e.g., Porsche) let alone a heated wood wheel. Another option reasonable priced were the zenon lights at $600.

These prices are great. For about 2K you could set up the car with a great cold weather package and zenons and be in complete comfort and safety come winter. Take a look at the Porsche option pricing some day for comparison. Furthermore, as I remember the option price sheet, Jag does not bang you for a $700 upcharge if you prefer metallic paint. Porsche, Volvo, LR, and others all get you on the paint.

The heated windshield is interesting. I think that Land Rover was the first to offer this and now it has migrated over to Jag. Who would have thought that Jag would benefit from the association?

All in all Jag offers great JD Power scores, good reliability, an EE degree is not required to turn the radio on, option pricing that can't be beat, and a 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. Why aren't these things selling?
    Why aren't these things selling?

Lack of dealerships contributes to their not selling. There is only one dealer in OR & he doesn't market agressively due to the monopolistic situation. There are two locations to buy Jags in Puget Sound & they are under the same ownership.
    Yakima and Spokane have dealerships, but so far from all the rest, none wheel and deal.

How numerous are Jag dealers near your location?
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,404
    There are 3 or so in the San Francisco area, so you could drive down and deal. That would give you an opportunity to drive your new baby back. As a Jag owner, I gotta tell you that's not a bad thing.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

I have driven a 2004 Jaguar XJR and loved it.

It is NOT vulgar. I do find the new BMW 7 series to be vulgar when compared to the 1995-2001 7 series.

We have only 1 dealer in Vegas, could be the only one in Nevada. Same company as the Ford dealer, but a unique and very nice dealership. They're pretty decent to deal with, also sell Porches.

XKSS - I'm trying to decide between an XJ8 and a Q-45. Like them both a lot. Sort of a toss up at the moment. What thoughts would you have for me?
    New XJ8 vs new Q45?

Well, the G45 costs slightly less, but I think the XJ8 has a lot more style. I find the aluminum of the new XJ to be interesting/cool while the Q45 strikes me as nice, but without the panache of the XJ8. Then there is the XJR and Super V8...

I have driven a 2004 XJR and loved it. The view of the curvaceous hood is very nice. An all-leather steering wheel is available for the XJ as accessory. An "uprated braking system with a bigger disc and calliper assembly" comes standard on the 2006 XJ, but the press release didn't describe it further.

The 2006 XJ also has "acoustic laminated glass" for more refinement.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Posts: 55
    Acoustic laminated glass?? I assume that makes the interior quieter? Are there any other changes coming in the 2006 model that are notworthy?