Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• Look at what the 2004s go for now and extrapolate. Look at cars.com or kbb.com or here at edmunds.
  • fennfenn Posts: 197
    I have 2004 "new generation" aluminum XJR.

Here is my honest impression of this car after driving it about 47,000 miles....

This car is fast, drives wonderfully and gets incredible fuel economy. That is the good news.

The bad news is that my 2004 XJR has been a problem from the start. The problems with my car are numerous and recurring. Every system from cruise control, to locks, to power accessories, to steering gear, to differential, to suspension, have had problems. Even the interior leather trim has de-laminated. I have had loaner cars out from the dealership for overnight and long stays at the dealership for approximately 30 days over the past two years!

They claim that mine is the one bad example, but Jaguar has not taken any effort to help me. They have stuck me with a 78,000 dollar piece of unreliable garbage.

Email me if you have any questions. This is not an exaggeration. These cars are really poorly built and unreliable. This is really a horribly built vehicle.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I'm not arguing with you about your car. But it sounds like a bad case of "new model first year glitches" in your case. I've not ever heard of another XJ being such a lemon.
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    I agree with nvbanker on this one. I've chatted with numverous XJ owners and they like their cars.
  • It seems that even if you got a below invoice deal, on an 06, that you would always still get killed by depreciation.

The 06 XJ seems like a great 50 thousand dollar car.
    Which is why I'd be in the market for an 05, most likely.
  • fennfenn Posts: 197
    I know about first year issues with a new model, but my problems go way beyond those things..

I am realistic. To have a few electrical glitches and adjustments is not beyond the realm of expectations with a new model car, but to have so many other major issues is quite different. I have to say that I have had everything from a bad rear end differential, to inoperative electrical systems, to inoperative door locks, to a bad rack and pinion steering rack, to a peeling/de-laminated leather on the interior, and so,so, many other things, is very hard to stomach. Many of these seem to be recurring issues -- and I still get error messages galore from the car's message center. After at least 20 visits to the dealer, and having driven their loaner cars for a total of over 30 days in the last two years, it gets to be a bit crazy...Yikes!.

Hey, I wanted to love this car. It really has many virtues, but it is badly flawed in its execution. Maybe mine is a lemon, but I am not alone. I know two other XJR owners that have complaints too. One of them was smart enough to retain legal counsel and got out of it under California Lemon Law, but I was a sucker and lived with it for too long to get this relief under the normal Lemon Law statute. By the way, he is now driving a Maserati Quattroporte, which he says is much more solid and reliable....

So, I agree that the first year vehicle glitches are something to acknowledge, but my car is so problematic in multiple areas that I have a hard time overlooking many of these problems and flaws. I cannot help but see them as systemic to these cars. Others may not have put enough miles on theirs to see the real long term issues as these cars grow older ---But, I have almost 48,000 miles on mine so I am a pretty good test pilot.......but, mine has been a turd since the beginning. At some point you would think that everything that can go wrong with this car has already happened, but this crap just keeps on happening!

I am upset that Jaguar is so non-responsive too. They are happy to let me hang out to dry on this. This is a 36 month lease, so due to all of my problems, I asked Jaguar to help me get out of this car at 24 months and offered to pay new drive off fees to get into fresh car, but they have not extended themselves. I am now at the end of the warranty with a car that I cannot trust.

By the way, I also asked Jaguar if they could offer me some extended warranty coverage due to my countless problems, which they also denied. I was trying to give them a chance to restore my confidence, but they seem uninterested in helping me in any way.

I am happy to provide any interested folks who are considering this car the full low-down and further details. I am not a crazy finnicky driver. I am just a frustrated automobile enthusiast who has been paying almost $1000 per month to drive a piece of garbage that sits in the shop all of the time ...This is a horrible car and Jaguar is an irresponsible company.

Furthermore, please note the the 2006 Jaguars will not even have the scheduled service visits covered any longer. Meanwhile other luxury brands like BMW give scheduled service and cover brake pads. I can not see any reason to expose anybody to the potential problems with these Jaguars. I suggest that folks avoid these cars like the plague.
    Look, you must make some allowance that yours is perhaps an anomoly, don't you? There are a lot of satisfied XJ owners out there who have no trouble - they post here too. If they were all as bad as yours, nobody would ever buy one. That's not happening. Jag should step up for you, that's wrong. And I can see why you wouldn't buy another, but really - plague? I have a nephew who feels the same way about Explorers. He had a great one, then bought one that was horrible. It's the best selling SUV in the country - they can't all be bad. No one would buy them. He had a lemon, and that's unf\ortunate. Perhaps you do too. :lemon:
  • What about asking Jag to CPO it for you when it comes off lease? (You turn it in to the bank that leased it from Jag. Then you buy it for the residual and they throw in the 6 year, 100,000 warranty for no charge.)
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,338
    Agree to the unit being an anomoly, but what takes me out of the mood for an XJ8 is the lack of Jaguar corporate support demonstrated in this case. Is it because it is leased, not owned by the driver? Should not the dealer and leasing agent get involved? What enables Jag Corp. to let me hang out to dry?

From what is told Jag Corp. is not practicing evangelical business methods. :(
    What would you like Jag to do? They have fixed every defect, I understand, under warranty. That's the contract. You want them to buy it back? They will - at lease end. The car's a lemon - but unless the owner has sued under the lemon law, Jag seems to have done what every other company pretty much does in this case - fix the car.
    I would like Jag to take that particular vehicle back to their R & D for quality study.

I would accept another pre owned XJ8 considering the miles on the Lemon as a replacement.

Jag issued a sub standard unit & needs to cover their errors with more than the usual warranty as this particular vehicle is very unusual.

Side comment: Makes your decision to buy the MB all the more valuable.
    If Jaguar determined any of these defect to pose a threat to the owner via a safety problem, they would take it back and tear it apart - and, they would provide a NEW comparable XJ to the owner, no money changing hands with the existing loan with Ford Credit staying in place as is, unless the owner wanted to upgrade the model. If there wasn't an XJ to the customer's liking on the lot at the dealership, Jag would make one for him and ship it, and give him a loaner for the interim. Yes, they are that good about these things - it happened to a friend of mine. He happened to want to upgrade a bit, so a deal was struck for the difference, but I've never seen anybody step up better.

The problems with this particular Jag seem not to be safely related, just annoying. A car company doesn't really have an obligation to take back every car from dissatisfied customers - that's not what the warranty provides. It says they'll fix the defects. They've done that. That's what I'm saying.
    No argument with your points.

It's just that I feel there should be some compensation for enduring extensive post production corrective repairs to the car. A buyer of such a high quality automobile deserves much better than being a victim of chronic failures. His highly unusual list of complaints is deserving of more service than sticking to the warranty.

I know, "No Charge for the Inconvenience!"
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Oh, I agree, and I hope he always got a no haggle, no charge loaner for his downtime, and I hope the dealer did him some favors along the way too. My Lincoln dealer used to - before they were bought out - now my friends there are all gone, but 2, and one more is retiring in a couple of months. I know nobody in service anymore. It's one reason, I'm not buying another Navigator.
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    That edmunds article says all 2006 XJs get a mesh grille. Only the 2006 Super V8 Portfolio, 2006 Super V8, 2006 XJR, and 2006 Vanden Plas get a mesh grille.
    "What do you think?

I think it makes a low mileage 04 XJ8 look very good priced @ 40k. :D
  • Fantastic link, thanks.

While I'll defer to XKSS on this, I don't seem much difference between the Portfolio and the SuperV8. Sure, its got the Callum power vents, an even nicer interior, etc. but it is not a huge step up. Wouldn't it have been nice if Jag had talked AM into giving them a detuned V12 and talked Volvo into calling Haldex to supply for all of 2K an AWD system? Then it would really go head to head with the S Class V12 and win.
  • Can the 04 Alpine stereo be upgraded to accept XM and ipod?
  • I am looking at buying an XJ8 VP, 1999 with 71k miles. I am told "There are two cylinders that appear to be low when cold and as a result low speed performance is impaired"

Can you shed some light on this for me and what I could expect in repair costs?

• So no one knows about 04 XJRs and ipods, etc?

ek
  • I'm driving a Super V8 with only 3000 mi. It is a magnificent car to drive. I don't have a single sign of a mechanical defect. What is starting to occur, however, is a creaking at the roofline above the windows, centered on both center posts, that occurs whenever the body is flexed.
    It happens when I drive on rough roads or when I drive off a curb or driveway edge. Anything that isn't flat and smooth causes an annoying creaking above my left ear and in the same place on the right side of the car. I'm about to take it to the dealer, having just returned from out of the country.
    Has anyone else experienced this phenominon? If so, what was it and what was the fix?
    I'd appreciate any advice anyone out there can give.....other than "why in hell did you buy a Jag."
    This one drives great, everything works, but it creaks.
    I too admire the XJ8 so understand your choice of motorcars.

Question: Is the creak the sound of metal to metal or some other material i.e. plastic, wood, or rivits under pressure
    as the body twists in angling a driveway?
  • Anyone awake? This board is positively sleepy. When I look at cars.com for realworld asking prices on '04 XJ and XJR sedans, I see about a 15K difference. That is, an '04 XJ can be had for 39K or so (asking) and the R version is still above 50K. This is about the same price spread as on day one when they rolled off the showroom floor. This tells me that the R Series really holds its value. Similarly, the '04 Vanden Plas (admittedly, there were not many sold in '04) also commands a premium close to if not equal to the price difference when it was sold two model years ago. I was hoping that these initial premiums would be receding and converging with the price of a plain jane XJ. (Hey, I can hope, can't I?)

Am I misreading this and the small number of used Rs skews this?
  • pops2pops2 Posts: 6
    I purchased a 2003 XJR, platinum ext, w/blk interior from a Jaguar Dealership 7 months ago. At the time of purchase the car only had 12,404 miles (one owner) and now has 14,324 miles. I also have a 2003 BMW 330CI and 2003 Mercedes Benz E320 that we use as daily drivers. I wanted the 03 Jag because i've always admired them for their beauty and grace and thought the 04 XJ's look too much like a ford product. For the most part, the XJ is used on special occasions and before buying my Jag, i've research this site and read many other articles on my vehicle. The biggest fault I find and have read other similar complaints is that this vehicles interior parts seemed to have been made from very cheap plastic. Although the car only has 14,324 miles and is a CPO, i have taken it back to the dealership for interior/ext trim parts. The parts were replaced because they had looked worn out. Although, the car has sat in my garage, i've had to take it back again because the turn signal ticker stopped working, as well as, all warning chimes. The dealership here in SCal is fantastic in working out the bugs, however, my BMW 330CI which cost much less than the Jag is far better crafted. I find it hard to believe that the UK can market a car with such poor quality and far behind than other premium vehicles. I love this vehicle, and I expected my these problems to arise. However, i would have been far more disappointed if i've paid MSRP when the vehicle was new. All the fairly new X types that i've driven while my car was in the shop for minor repairs had obvious defects. Again, I love my Jag, but I will never consider buying a new one.
    Appreciate your comments. We are original owners of 94 Lincoln Town Car and have been considering replacing it with a low mileage '04 XJ8. Here's my one question.

Would you have purchased your Jag if the nearest dealer was 50 miles away from your home? :)
    No! I would not have purchased my Jag if the dealership was 50 miles away from my home. I am very lucky that my Jag Dealership is 10 miles from where i live. Its definitely not like a Honda or Toyota. Although it has never broken down on me, from my research and experience, it is a car that requires special attention to keep it in prestine condition. I have two other premium vehicles and there is no better feeling than driving a Jag. Its a special connection that i don't get from my MB or BMW.
  • Pops2, you sure have a fleet of '03s! Most people that I know ladder their cars with a 11year old s***box with 120K on the odometer holding the bottom positon and then moving up to top out with something a year or two old.
    2003 was the first year of the new MB E320's. I fell in love with the body style and had to have one. My 03 BMW will be traded for a 2006 BMW 325XI wagon i have on order due to arrive in mid Jan 06. I Can't wait :)