Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    Well, i think the problem with the s-type is not that it's a bad car, just that there are a lot of great cars in the category. I've driven them both, and while the s-type is gorgeous, i can't see why else i'd pick one over a 5-series, for example.

As for the saab bit--that's not true. Recently, some of the engineering was consolidated with opel, and they moved to germany, but that's nothing like laying off the entire engineering staff after acquisition.
  • foster1foster1 Posts: 17
    Yeah, that's just what I said: all of the SAAB engineering staff was laid off, and what used to be the company SAAB is now only a sales and business center. Opel, for you information, is a German company making middle-level GM cars. Not Sweedish engineering. Hello? That's how large businesses get rid of business functions they consider redundant. But I'm sure OPEL engineers can make SAAB fighter jets, also, and GM will point that out in their ads.
    "Yeah, that's just what I said: all of the SAAB engineering staff was laid off.."

Well, no, my statement is almost the opposite of what you said.

Jaguar has consolidated a lot of engineering with ford, but i bet you wouldn't say:

"As soon as ford bought jaguar,they fired the whole engineering staff and now it's just a sales ploy."

It's as accurate as your statement. There is jaguar engineering happening in dearborn.

dave
    No, wrong again, Jaguar is completely different. They invested millions in a new engineering center in Coventry a number of years ago, and it is staffed by the same British engineers that have always worked there. The only Ford engineering relevant to Jaguar is shared systems such as vehicle stability control, emissions, etc., and (in the case of their middle and lower models) new platforms. If Ford did the same with Jaguar as GM did with SAAB, they would lose all their customers. (And in fact this was precisely the issue when the owners of Jaguar PLC were considering the sale of Jaguar to Ford back in the late 1980's).
    "No, wrong again, Jaguar is completely different."

Really? Shared paltform with the x and s-type? Using the completely ford-sourced duratec v6--not even a compeitive engine in the mid-priced cars category? Switchgear, internals.

It's not hard to argue saab's more independant than jag is. They were part of the team working on their new engine. :)

Can you back up your claims that GM fired all the saab engineering staff, and kept all the jag engineers? It shouldn't be hard to back that up using google, should it?

dave
    Suggest you do it, since you are the one who needs information, not I.
    "Suggest you do it, since you are the one who needs information, not I."

I have looked--there is NOTHING about GM laying off the entire saab engineering staff on the web, a fact which i suspect you know as well as I.

Notice you didn't respond to the rest of my post. ;)
  • buddygleebuddyglee Posts: 44
    Run it by an auto store and have them test the battery (or take the battery to them) Sounds like a dead cell.
  • alhaffalhaff Posts: 1
    interested in buying a 2004 vandan plas which was first registered in may 2003...is this early production on this restyled XJ and if so,is this any cause for concern??if car is certified does that counter any concerns?
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    The newest generation XJ is 180 degrees from the last one. The change was made for the '04 model year and there are only scattered reports of issues with the '04, but compared to the earlier models it is by far a better animal. The new generation is so greatly improved, it is truly night and day. Certification does help, but make sure that any coverage you get is adequate for the amount of driving you anticipate. Also, does the dealer have a good reputation? Make sure.

TagMan
  • leeinrenoleeinreno Posts: 2
    The security clicker/door opener on my 1991 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas has stopped working. I changed the battery, but that wasn't the problem. When I opened the clicker to change the battery a small strip of metal fell out and I couldn't figure out where it went. Dealers in the area say there is no replacing the clicker, that they are out of production and no new available.

Does anyone know where I can get one? Is there aftermarket support for Jaguar security anywhere? Does anyone know whether the clickers in the UK are the same as the US? This is a serious issue for mature Jaguar owners. My other clicker was in a purse stolen a few years ago. If I had only known then, I would have replaced it.

Other older Jag owners be forewarned.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,328
    In checking out e bay this is what I found. Good Luck to you.

EARLY JAGUAR XJ, XJR, XJ6, XJS, XJ12 KEYLESS ENTRY*NEW*
    DBC11510 315MHz FCC ID:K85JTX315 **BRAND NEW w/TAGS** Item number: 8075625314

Search e bay for Item No. 8075625314. :)
  • erikmesaerikmesa Posts: 3
    I was wondering what specifically is covered by the Select Edition warranty on certified pre-owned Jaguars? Is this just an extension of the 4 yr 50k bumper to bumper? I noticed it said "limited" on the Jaguar website and was wondering what is covered and moreso what is NOT covered by the Select Edition warranty between 50,001 and 100,000 miles.

Thanks.
  • ghraiaghraia Posts: 11
    I recently requested that Jaguar refund purchase price of our 2006 XJ8L in accordance with the lemon laws. At 3000 miles, it started crackling and popping noises from the front suspension and has steadily gotten worse. It has been in the dealer's shop for over 60 days and they have made 4 unsuccessful attempts to repair it. The dealer gave us a new XJ8L just like ours to drive and at 2500 miles it started making similar noises. It appears that this may be a Jaguar design flaw, but have not seen any postings with similar problems. The car also has a lot of tire noise transmitted through the front suspension, much more than the 05 model we drove prior to purchase. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
    Can't reply to the suspension problems, but when we last road tested an 04 XJ8 we found it with no less road noise than our 1994 Town Car! :(
  • quemfalaquemfala Posts: 107
    I just test drove a "used" 2006 XJ with 1500 miles. The smoothest, quietest car that I've driven; incuding Cad and BMW. Seriously thinking about buying, but have decided to wait a few weeks until the '07's appear, ought to drive down the prices for the remaining '06's.
  • quemfalaquemfala Posts: 107
    I've tried my best but haven't been able to find any info on th 2007 XJ. Does anyone have any specifics on the car, or is it going to be a 2006 re-make, with nothing new or interesting? I'm going to hold out until the new ones arrive, and then try to find somthing of interest in any 2006's remaining in dealer inventory.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Nah, fenn - your car won't be a Select Edition Certified Jaguar on anybody's lot - it's likely destined for the factory in Liverpool, or Coventry, whatever is still open, for an autopsy..... After that, it'll be used as a crash dummy. When Ford buys back a vehicle as a lemon, they use it for research. At worst case, it'll go, if it hasn't already, to the nearest Highline Auction and be sold to some secondary market dealer.....
  • sorgesorge Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 XJ 6 that I had purchased on e-bay 3 years ago. It hasn't run right since I purchased it. I have finally taken it to a local mechanic. He said that he thinks that my power steering is messed up because some crazy person put regular power steering fluid in it. I know that it should be hydrolic fluid. The mechanic says that he doesn't want to get into fixing it because he is affraid that if he replaces the pump and the other fluid in the system might ruin the new pump. Is there any other way to correct this problem without replacing the whole steering system?
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    When you say "Secondary Market Dealer" do you mean AKA Texas Cars Direct? A dealer by the way with a good reputation.
    I meant no one specific - and probably not a dealer with a good reputation. More likely, one with no reputation.
  • 10376721037672 Posts: 1
    you may get by with replacing the hoses, flush the reservoir, install a steering rack service kit, and a new pump seal kit. the kits are about $150.00. the hoses on the other hand are expense.
    Here is a follow-up to my original post regarding my buyback request. Jaguar wrote me a letter saying they would look into the matter and reply within 30 days. 30 days was July 27 and still no reply. My dealer, Hampton Jaguar, Columbia, SC, says they have not been contacted by Jaguar either and at this point cannot help me. So my car sits in their shop. It has now been out of service over 100 days of the 270 days I have owned it. Looks like I am going to have to hire an attorney.
    Time for a Lemon Law enaction, IMO. Too bad.... I'm surprised - the local Ford Dealer here just replaced a friends F-150 because they found doing a repair to the tail gate, that the truck had been hit. Seems Ford is usually pretty attentive to this - surprised Jag isn't.">link title
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    I'm surprised at this also. Here's an idea. Tommmorow AM walk over to the USC Law School and casually ask around if any of the faculty have had bad luck with a Jag. I'll bet you could get a letter prompting action in the mail by noon.
    Another update:
    Got a fax from Jaguar saying they would give me a new car or, If I chose, would refund my money as prescribed in the Lemon Law. I chose to take the money since the loaner I had started making the same noises, and another person here seemed to be having the same problem. Funny that there do not seem to be similar problems with the 04 & 05 models. However, all the 06's I have driven have more road noise in general transmitted through the front suspension. Maybe they changed suppliers for some components in 06. Anyway, I am conflicted about the whole experience, since other than this problem, I really loved the car. I will say that other than being a little slow, Jaguar and the dealer have been really good to work with.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences with Jaguar/Ford. It is good to know they are cooperating with you and the law. We will be interested in knowing the year make and model of your next automobile. :)
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    Glad to hear your problem was resolved. Your original post indicated "popping noises." You also mentioned "more road noise in general" than the '05s. I don't doubt your experience but it seems odd since according to their press materials, Jaguar made some insulation changes to the '06s to make them quieter. Roadtests conducted by some of the auto mags even commented on the quieter nature of the '06s.

It seems strange that popping noises couldn't be found and corrected. As for more road noise in general, I am curious about tire selection. I have driven a couple of '04s and found them to be commendably quiet. I also drove an '06 and found it to be even quieter. All had Continental tires. I noticed a few of the '06s in dealer stock were equipped with Michelins but I didn't drive one.

Do you recall which brand of tire was on your '06? Were they the 18" standard wheels or the optional 19s?
    My car had michelins with 18" wheels. Yes, the car was very, very quite, but there seemed to be more noise than normal transmitted through the suspension to the cabin. Not loud but, to me, annoying. Maybe the overall quietness of the car made this more noticeable. Anyway, I had decided to ignore this before the other problem surfaced.
    Yes, you would think this would be an easily repaired problem. In fact, I mentioned it to the dealer at 3000 miles, but told them to wait until the 5000 mile (intrim) service to correct it for that reason.
    Looking at the Mercedes CLS550. May wait to see the new Lexus LS460. Or maybe back up a bit to the ES350.