Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• jglvsinitjglvsinit Posts: 1
    Recently took possession of a 2001 XJ8.Great car and a great deal.As a long time MB tech now retired and on to other things,I insist on changing my own oil.Does anyone have a reference for oil type and weight for this non-supercharged v8?
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,497
    I concede your point regarding bladder size.

I find, however, when I am travelling alone, a "bathroom / drink" break is a lot quicker than that plus a "fill your fuel tank".

And when I travel out of Georgia (lowest gasoline taxes in the lower 48) it gives me a chance to fill before I cross the state line and after I return.

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Adverse to catheters . . .
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,330
    Your point is well taken, there are many more places to empty than to fill up. With regard to the gasoline taxes advantage, I live in California, which doesn't have the lowest taxes on anything. If I lived closer to the Oregon or Nevada border though, this would be a consideration.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• rap246rap246 Posts: 1
    Hi-
    Living in Silicon Valley is enabling me to take advantage of lease turnbacks. As you can image, with the "boom" "gone bust", I have many cars from which to choose.

With that in mind, I am seriously considering an XJ8. Trying to decide on the year.

My questions: Is there significant difference/improvement or problems in the XJs from 2001-2002? (even in the 2000s).

I need advice and guidance as to what to stay away from, watch out for, etc.

(I know look for low mileage, etc. ---besides that).

Thank you for your time.

You can email me directly-rap246@sbcglobal.net
  • lindsay8lindsay8 Posts: 21
    My car is coming up on 105,000 km(65k miles).
    I live in Edmonton which is the City of Potholes but I am wondering if the noise I am getting from road bumps and train tracks is tired shocks. Is 60,000 miles early for shock replacement? If so, do I look at OEM or is there a cheaper aftermarket option?
  • lindsay8lindsay8 Posts: 21
    How much and where did you find it? I was underneath the car at a lube shop a while back and I noticed the piping is pretty skinny. What about a fabricated system? I know from experience with turbo 6s that as long as you can tap your plumbing to fit the O2 sensors the motor doesn't care what it's blowing into. Obviously with an s/c you have to be selective about the pipe diameter but is there any reason not to build something?
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Must remember to fix subscriptions!

What did I miss?

And you sure as heck can upgrade the exhaust on an XJR... I know of a 98 in FL with 100K miles or so with 3" pipes.

Sounds DAMN good!
  • cat_ownercat_owner Posts: 4
    While I don't yet own an XJR (see post 1696), I did some research on XJR exhaust system upgrades for my eventual purchase. I found several European suppliers which make performance exhaust systems for the XJR, mostly very expensive.

But Borla, one of the largest American performance exhaust product suppliers, also makes a stainless steel exhaust system for the XJR.

Good luck,
    Craig in Carlsbad Ca.

P.S. Welcome back Bill, I've missed your experienced and knowledgeable commentary in this forum.
    Good to be back :)

The Borla is the one to go with.. I had an Arden one and it did Nothin.
    I've posted this before, but received very little feedback, so I thought I'd try again.

--------------------

I have never owned a Jaguar before, but I have always loved (my wife would say "lusted after") the XJRs. Up until recently I couldn't really afford one either, but now it looks like used 99-00 XJRs (or at least some of them) are selling at a price I can afford.

I recently looked at a 99 XJR at a local Volvo dealer for only $29K (great condition with only 38k miles, but out of warranty). There is also a very similar 99 XJR at the local Jaguar dealer with an asking price of $40K (Select Edition, and recently reduced to $36k).

I like the lower cost of the 1st car, but I am very concerned about potential problems with a Jaguar that is out of warranty. XJR woes such as those reported by "jlapcat" have me concerned, especially without the new car warranty coverage.

Any recommendations?
    Do I need warranty coverage or they reliable enough (I know this is highly subjective but I had to ask)?
    What would a third party extended warranty cost?
    What third party extended warranty companies are good/bad?

My wife has been recommending a new Lexus IS300 instead, which I can get for about the same price. But my heart really prefers the XJR.

Any and all replies (public and private) are welcome.

Craig in Carlsbad, Ca
    Craig.Cline@trw.com
    Well..

There will always be people who claim to have lemons, as they say, you tend to hear from a dissatified owner 10 times and 1 out of 10 satisfied owners.

I have owned and sold Loads of XJRs.. they have proven to be very well made and reliable vehicles.

$6,000 for a 2 year extended warranty? HA HA HA!

If it's low miles and good color, $29K is a good price for the 99.

99 XJR or 03 IS?

Well I am a manager at a Lexus store and I am looking for a 1998 XJR myself.

Bill
    Thanks Bill.

I assume by your laughing at $6000 for a 2 year warranty, that you are referring to the higher cost of the XJR at the Jaguar dealer not being worth it.

I was of the same opinion, but confirmation is appreciated.

Are there any particular problems that I should look out for?

What do you consider to be a "good color"; black, red, BRG, ?

Craig
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I like the gold myself.....but you probably can't get the "R" in that color.
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Posts: 111
    I've noticed a groaning noise coming from under the car between the two rear wheels. This noise happens when the engine is turned on, but doesn't seem to matter whether the car is moving or sitting stationary.

Someone suggested it could be a fuel pump (in the rear?!). Does anyone know what this noise could be, and whether it's okay to drive a few hundred miles with it? I'm planning on driving to upstate NY over the 4th of July from VA and would like to take the Jag. Don't know if there's time to drop it by the dealer for repair before the holidays.

Thanks for any info.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    It totally sounds like the fuel pump is doing the groaning. It could do that for thousands of miles, or go out on the next start. There's no way to tell or predict. Some pumps are noisy for years, then fail, some fail having never gotten noisy. Take the Jag, my advice, and a cell phone just in case.
  • lyrickylalyrickyla Posts: 7
    Hello,

I have a 1996 XJ6 that will not start if I wash the car. I have to then disconnect and reconnect the battery. I have taken it to the mechanic and they said there is nothing wrong with car.

Any thoughts?
  • lyrickylalyrickyla Posts: 7
    Hello,

Does anyone know of a good mechanic in Atlanta?
  • ford624ford624 Posts: 75
    I test drove a new XJ8. It sure did seem like a very good drive. Have you test drove one yet? What were your impressions. What have the editors said about them?
    "Thanks"
    Jack
  • Hello Bill, I am sorry but I do not know who to ask. I have changed the low beam head lights on my XK8. How do you adjust the low beam lights? Do you adjust the low beam thru the wheel well? Where could I find out how to adjust them? Thanks for all your help

JMan
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Posts: 593
    ... at the local Jag dealers' "ride and drive". I was very impressed with the updates to the suspension, especially the improvements in steering "feel". I'm comparing the 2004 to my wife's 2001 model.

If it wouldn't cost so much to step up, I'd do it in a heartbeat!