Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• seeligseelig Posts: 590
    would you please post or email the link to the other GM truck site................this place is deader than a fence post.
    what happened? this place use to rock and roll......;-(
  • bcobco Posts: 756
    used to hang/post here quite a bit. but it's been awhile. anyways, here's the semi-regular (but not really) update.

'00 rado ext cab LS, z71, 5.3, 3.73 blah blah blah.

been averaging about 15 mpg for the duration. just turned 60k last night. still love it...no major problems yet (knock on wood). it's never seen anything but mobile one and ac delco filters and i do all the maintenance myself. not really sure what else to say, because nothing much has happened worth reporting.

shouts out to oby, babs, mgdvhman, rayt2, and all you other clowns out there that used to help me pick on that what's his name with the tundra. apparently all that fun has come to an end. oh well. take care all, i'll be back in another 30k or so...

kyle
    (kjw33@att.net)
    the post count might be up to 3525.........LOL
  • punjabpunjab Posts: 102
    I know these subjects have been covered before, but humor me.

When my '01 Z71 was under warranty, I had a driveshaft clunk. Dealer lubed spline, put her back together and it worked just fine. Second time I had the problem, they changed the transfer case fluid and it worked fine. Now, outside of warranty, it has come back. Does anyone have the new nickel plated spline, and does it work? Has anyone gotten GM to install this post-warranty free of charge?

My second question - and no 2 dealers seem to answer it the same - Does the synthetic rear diff fluid require an additive. If so, what is it and who carries it?

Thanks in advance.
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    "2001 GMC Sierra K 1500 Z71 4WD, Ext Cab 4 door, 5.3L, 3.73 rear end, factory towing package stating 600lbs tung Waight"

OK, the 2000 GM Trailering Guide says Gross Combination Weight Ratings for Trailers - Automatic Transmission is 13000 lbs. as you have your truck configured. My book says your max trailer wieght is 8500 lbs. but do the formula I copied and pasted from Jtt3 from the GMC board.

#788 of 803 6400 GVWR by jtt3 Sep 24, 2003 (10:33 pm)
     "Lets use the 6400 GVWR for example:
      This is rating for truck only but hitch weight has to be added also.
    Truck empty is 5000 plus 2 people 300 plus a tank of gas 200 plus trailer hitch weight 700 lbs eguals 6200 lbs which is OK 200 lbs to spare.

Now I beleive this truck has a GCWR (Gross combination weight rating of 13000 lbs.take the 6400 lbs and subtract the hitch weight and this becomes 5700 lbs.
    Now take 13000 lbs and subtract the 5700 gives you a trailer weight of 7300 lbs you can pull "

Ray T.
  • bonreabonrea Posts: 48
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! That puts a lid on the question.

Most of the trailers we have looked at are way above this 7300lbs GVWR (trailer waight) so we will have to look at getting a smaller version.
    But the tung waight is close to or above the 600lbs. Is this a real concern? The trailer dealers are saying no but I am concerned...

Thanks again for all you help on this.
  • I have a 01 Z-71 short bed and just had the nickel plated yoke put in. It worked just fine. This was my third time complaining about it and they finally did something.First they said the yoke was for ext. cabs ,then they greased it and now replaced it.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    The additive used in the past was for a limited slip rear differentials. The locking differential in the current Silverado does not require it.
    Here's what I did with my truck using this formula (after the fact): I was told that the trailer could match my GVWR for truck and still be OK,.....just glad the gremlin in my head was whispering to buy at "under" GVWR listing of truck. Using the calculations I now see why.

2000 Silverado Ex. Cab, 5.3L, 2wd, Auto, 3/4 ton Short Box, 3:73 Locker, Z85 H.D. Pkg & Factory Tow package.

GVWR 7200 lbs. ULW 5000 lbs. approx.
    28' Travel Trailer GVWR 6600 lbs. Hitch Dry Wgt. 528 lbs. (I use a Weight Distributing Hitch)

7200 GVWR
    -600 lbs. hitch wet weight (approx)
    -6600 lbs.

13000 GCVWR
    =6400 lbs. Trailer wgt. (I'm over by 200 lbs. but I never have the truck or trailer at max. weight anyway so I watch my loading of both truck & trailer to keep within limits)

If I had listened to the R.V. dealer he would have sold me a unit that would not have allowed me much room for camping equip. much less the wife and kid! So you get the picture. That's why their called "salesman".

Ray T.
  • hey man......good to see you here....I am like you....be back in 30K.....maybe....maybe I will change that cab filter by then!?.....still waiting for Babs to come on by and show me the ropes...LOL.....76K and still coughin'.....(not really)....I still buy rounds for the service man....pints up to the armed forces - Porter
    now that's a name.............hey stoutporter, are you still using Malms on the truck?
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    he should be using zaino haha
    easy Babs.........remember, to use Zaino, one must follow directions...........LOL
    HAHA i do i do

the nw and improved Z5 is awesome
  • waxed it once back in them olden days when new....I think?....dealer waxed it for a 1 year anniversary clean up for free.....and that was the last waxin'.....truck be 4 years old now....hell....I still got last years salt on the carpet!....it's a truck boys...get over it...Good luck on this one now! - Rube Porter
    >....I still got last years salt on the carpet!....it's a truck boys...get over it...Good luck on this one now! - Rube Porter<

yeah OK........i read that as being Lazy...........you are not worthy of Zaino.
    the cab air filters?........at least send them to me before the mildew sets in..............K?
    or that bar cap ain't never gettin fixed...........good luck on this one now!
    Tim looking into that burb yet?
    >Tim looking into that burb yet?<

Nah, that comes with instructions too........LOL
    you really should see the showroom he's got above the Rado............heck, you aren't that far away...........and Tim is one heck of a host..........i went home snockered, and 20lbs. heavier to boot........;-)
    haha I will have my own humble ebode in the near future. I am putting money down on a lot tomorrow then next yr i will start building. WOOHOO my truck will have a home (garage). Mike when i do my garage i might need a bar built :)
  • I have a 2000 1500 5.3, 3.73 ex cab sb. 2wd. Last I remember at least 147,000 on the clock. So far I have replaced The gas guage sending unit, a couple of belts, front door speakers (one was cracked)and a battery (pretty common in AZ).

ORIGINAL BRAKE PADS!!!!!!

Anyway, I used to lurk here years ago. When Ryan was waiting for his "Indigo Blue" 1500. Ryan, you married yet?
  • madijomadijo Posts: 30
    What kind of mileage are people getting out of stock tires? I just purchased a set of stock tires that someone drove their brand new truck strait to the store and traded for a larger wider set. These are Goodyear 235/75/16's with about 12 miles on them. I got the set for $240.
  • jimbo49jimbo49 Posts: 10
    I have a dumb question for someone.
    What is the easiest way to determine if a truck has a locking Diff.? I recently purchased a
    2002 Sierra ext. cab w/ Z71 & am now sure if it is equipt w/ the locking rear.
    Not married yet.

Jimbo check the glovebox for the option code G80 to see if you have the locking rear end
    Everybody takes a break if yer smart ! Welcome back Mike !
    OK a question you probably haven't answered in a while, did you have the infamous "piston slap/lifter tick"? 147k is outstanding !
    If so I just gained a lot of confidence in my engines durability.

Do you do any towing with your truck or just a lot of long trips/highway miles?

Ray T.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    If it does all kinds of clanging and banging and shuddering and sounds like it's coming apart-----yep you got the locker. I hate it! Give me a posi.
  • dch0300dch0300 Posts: 472
    The locking diff. in my 2001 kicks in with no sounds or shuddering like you've indicated.
  • dustyonedustyone Posts: 262
    2000 Silverado driver's side mirror is being stubborn. The control is very sluggish. The passenger side is o.k. so the trouble has to be in the mirror itsself rather than the controller. The mirror will move if it is given a little help. Any suggestions here? Thanks
  • No Burb yet.......I decided to buy the ex a house instead (wink)....Ado is dirty, but reliable. I could care less about the interior or the exterior. It's a truck. 76K Miles.....original F-stones 245's....will most likely replace them soon...if it wasn't for winter...I'd go 85K!.....hands down...the best tires I have ever owned.....most likely get the same tires.....same size. Original brakes...and cab filter!...LOL...

a good host ?....well heck yes........the best you ever seen.......Thanks for the kind words Mike....my friends are the world to me....without them we are nothing.....and yes.....I had him looped up right up until the airport terminal on Guinness and hot wings....... best friend I have met in years....Glad I met ya ace.... Get out and live yawl.....life is too damn short.. - Porter
  • kg11kg11 Posts: 530
    I've read here that you need to reinforce the corners of the bed to use a cross-bed tool box.

What about a ladder/lumber rack ?

I've had a lot of headaches with this truck,as many here have read,but untill somebody comes up with something that comes close in the comfort dept...I'd have to switch to a half-ton ford or dodge.Not an option.

So? Do I reinforce the corners?

kip
  • badgmbadgm Posts: 5
    GM has a "kit" avail. (free I'm told) to reinforce the bed lips so they won't warp when you add the tool box. I just glued a piece of 1x3 in 6 spots under the rail lip so my tonneau cover clamps won't bend the rail tops.......geo
This discussion has been closed.