Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• redsilveradoredsilverado Posts: 1,000
    mine came with an 8 track, why do you ask?
    i think the cassette is still available though.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Still got one or two lying around. Bobby Vinton, Lettermen, and the Mamas and the Papas. Not sure if they still work. Sound quality is a bit off as I think I last played them back in '75.

Was just wondering if anyone still had these dinosaurs around.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    for the lowdown on 8 track check out the link

http://www.8trackheaven.com/index2.html

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    I got a record player!

haha

on a serious note...my neighbor has an old Chrysler ...??>...300?....it's a tank.....anyway...it has a fold out record player in the dash...from the factory....wierd as ever

...has these huge intake manifolds also that go all the way over to the fenders...the right carb feeds the left side...and vice versa..

- Tim
    at the same time? just wondering.....
  • mikemajestymikemajesty Posts: 99
    i just have a question, what would the fastets gmc/chevy truck be, aside from the c3(0-60andquarter mile). and does anyone know what the regular cab 1500/sierra 5.3l v8 will do the 0-60 and quarter mile in. thanks. i know this really isnt of much concern to most truck drivers, but i am looking for a truck that can still provide me a little bit of fun when nothing is hooked up to the back of it. thanks again.
    ...I haven't see it move for 6 years!

- Tim
  • hunter98hunter98 Posts: 273
    5.3L Reg Cab Sportside (lighter) locker, 5.3L 2wd or 4wd is a sub 8 second rocket ship. ;) much faster than my ext 4x4 fleetside

Hunter
    runs around 7.8 secs 0-60
  • sf0383sf0383 Posts: 204
    I have the 40/20/40 bench in mine and I like the way the fold outs look so much that I might just go out and order some. I knew something was supposed to go in that spot in the dash. It is a complete waste of space not to put something there. Never can have too many cupholders you know. Nice web site BTW
  • chris191chris191 Posts: 14
    2001 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Regular Cab, base model, 6.0L, auto trans., 4.10 locking diff., 4300 miles, built East Pontiac, purchased 3/7/01. Overall I am happy with my truck. I purchased it to replace a trusty 4 cyl. Toyata 4x4 that isn’t up to the task of towing. I drove the Chevy from Seattle to LA after its’ first few hundred miles, observing break-in procedure as outlined in owner’s manual. Highway mileage was 15-16 mpg with speeds up to 55mph – then up to 65, once first 500 miles were past. Put many city miles on truck in LA before renting a trailer and picking up my unfinished ’66 Impala from the high desert to bring it back to Seattle. For the drive back to Seattle all of the parts for the ’66 were loaded in the bed and the stripped-down Impala with big-block and trans. installed was trailered. The truck performed very nicely and pulled strongly up the steepest hills of the Grapevine and Siskiyous. Towing mileage was 13-14 mpg, with no speeds over 65mph. Performed first oil change before beginning tow – yielded small amount of shavings on magnetic drain plug. Performed diff. fluid change upon return to Seattle. Used new GM grape-scented gear oil at $28 per quart. Used 2.25 quarts exactly to fill – glad I didn’t follow dealer’s advice – said to use three quarts and see if it needs more.

Problems:
    1) slapping noise from engine at cold start
    2) flat spot during acceleration when using light throttle (I tend to drive very conservatively around town), engine sort of bogs down, reminiscent of bad accelerator pump on Rochester 2GC carb.
    3) bed rails kind of soft – they dented from me kneeling on them while tightening tarp covering Impala parts. Chevy – not like a rock – like a soft-shelled crab. I guess my knees are kinda knobby.

Anyone else out there with similar complaints? I am especially interested in/worried about the slapping noise. Otherwise the truck is powerful, smooth, and quiet. I am actually happy with the Firestone Steeltex tires – 55lbs. Front, 60lbs. Rear – I have offroaded them in both snow and mud with excellent results and they are fine on the highway – very quiet. I was skeptical about them and took a “wait and see” attitude. I’ll use them until they wear out and then try something more deluxe.
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    I have a 2000 2500LS 4x4 6.0L 3.73. My experience is very similar to yours. Enough power. 14.0 MPG with Popup camper on truck.

I'm even happy with the Firestone Steeltex tires. 45 front - 70 rear. I would like 265's however - the 245's look small on the truck and huge off the truck. I'm looking at either the Steeltex AT in a 265 LR'E', or a 255/85-16 in a Dunlop Radial Rover RV or Firestone Wilderness ATIII.

The 255/85 is 33" tall and suited for use on a 6.5" rim.

The cold noise doesn't bother me. I'm very easy on a cold engine, and the noise is gone when the temps come up.

I don't have any flat spot. My truck seems to have abrupt throttle tip-in. It is very hard to hold a constant rpm at low throttle openings, especially in low range.

I'm guessing your '66 will be a cruiser. Cool ride for that! What color will it be?

Mike L
    '66 Impala SS has been painted orig. Tropic Turquoise. 325hp 396, M-20, open diff. Will be a nice cruiser after another 500hrs! Thanks.
    So you wouldn't worry about the start-up slapping? I guess I feel the same way, and I am easy on it when cold, too. I have no trouble holding a constant rpm once I am past the flat spot - I just have to give it a little more gas from the get-go than I would like. I'll have the dealer or maybe trusted mechanic at local service station look at the flat spot issue. As far as tires go, I tried some Pirelli LT Scorpions (LT235/75R15)on my Toyota 4x4 and like them very much. They were torture tested on an extended tour of the deserts of Caif., Nev. and Utah - performed beautifully in sand, slickrock, scree and jagged rocks - truck fully loaded w/gear, water, food, firewood, beer. Fine on the highway, too. Super quiet. Great compromise tire. Tried them on recommendation of tire dealer - said I could bring 'em back if they didn't work out. Many miles on them and virtually no wear. I might try those when Steeltexs wear out.
    are those 0-60 numbers for stick or automatic.
    besides the lightning and dakota r/t, what would the fastest truck be, any company other than dodge
  • eater_33062eater_33062 Posts: 34
    MY 2000 SIERRA 1500 REG CAB SHORT BED Z71 5.3 4X4 HAS SEVERE REAR WHEEL HOP WHEN PULLING AWAY, SPINNING TIRES. IT SOUNDS LIKE THE REAR SUSPENSION IS COMMING THROUGH THE BOX IT HITS THAT HARD. IT ALSO DOES IT IN SNOW WHEN REAR WHEELS START TO SLIP& SPIN .ANYONE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM? I THINK THE NEXT TIME IT DOES IT THE LEAF SPRINGS ARE GOING TO SNAP. MAYBE THAT WOULD BE THE BEST THING. DEALER SAID TRACTION BARS!!!!!!!!!!! SURE IF I WAS RUNNING IT , BUT THIS HAPPENS ANY TIME THE REAR WHEELS BREAK LOOSE ANY HELP? PLEASE!!! LH GOT TO BE A GM PROBLEM!
    Do you have a locker?
    what do the HD's call for for PSI on the door?

that would be max load...(55 for fronts?)

I have a 2K 2500 with Steeltex...It calls for 50/80.....I run 50 in the front and 40 in the rear....rotate every 7K or so....check pressure weekly...and have aligned the front end twice in 33K Miles.....and they are about 30% worn and handle great..

Good Luck

- Tim
  • sf0383sf0383 Posts: 204
    Door calls for 55 front 80 rear. Not sure the tire guage I have even goes to 80. Guess I need to look.
    DEAN, HAVE FACTORY 3.73'S & WHAT THEY CALL LIMITED SLIP REAR AXLE. THIS DAM WHEEL HOP IS" DIIVING" ME CRAZY. I WOULD THINK THAT THE Z71 SUSPENSION PKG WITH THE BILSTEEN SHOCKS WOULD PREVENT THIS.MY GMC IS A SLE MODEL & HAS ALL OPTIONS ON IT EXCEPT FOR POWER LEATHER GUTS. EVEN HAS PLOW PKG' NOT THAT I'D EVER USE IT, BUT THIS TRUCK IS THE SECOND ONE, & THE FIRST ONE SQUATTED DOWN IN FRONT, & WAS MISSING SOME OPTIONS I ORDERED' SO DEALER REORDERED & I PUT PLOW OPTION ON FOR HEAVER FRONT TORSION BARS. NOW TRUCK SITS PROUD IN FRONT. IM THINKING A LOT OF THINGS , VELVET RIDES? HEAVIER SHOCKS, SPRING LEAF CLAMPS (HOME MADE) USED WHEN I DRAG RACED SHOULDN'T NEED T-BARS,OR MAYBE I JUS GOT BAD SPRINGS & SHACKLES FROM FACTORY. I KNOW THAT SOME 2WD'S HAD THIS PROB REPLACED SPRINGS & SHACKLES, SOME GM BULLETIN CAN U HELP? NEED IT BAD.!!! LH TKS.
    I FORGET TO MENTION TO YOU THAT IN CHEVY RADOS PROBS. #134, WHAT YOU WROTE CURED MY PROBLEM WIT THE BUMP/CLUNK / BLUE FLUID. TKS LH. ICOULD RITE MORE BUT HANDS & FINGERS 2 BIG FOR DAM KEY BOARD SO I SHORTN WRDS TAKES ME FOR EVER 2 WRITE 1 LINE DIG. TKS AGN ,LH PS HATE TYPEN ANYWAY, RATHER TURN WRENCHES!!
    For Silverado and Sierra: Does anyone know of a way to bypass the automatic headlights, other than depressing the dome light override switch 4 times? Although the system is kind of slick, I would prefer to able to turn on my headlights at will without having to do the override each time. I would also be very happy to get rid of warning tones for lights, seat belt, etc. Is there a reversible fix for this? Thanks, and everyone have a nice weekend.
  • careyacecareyace Posts: 44
    Check out this site they have some cool stuff on there. I have one of their headlight toys on my truck ,it was easy to install.I think they may have what you are looking for.It is the automatic headlight over ride. ID# 1253 and is priced at $89.95. http://www.truckautoaccessories.com
    also you can take a look at my truck at http://www.picturetrail.com/careyace hope this helps Andrew
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Any chance one of those Bilsteins is bad? Durn springs are so hard anyway I don't think the old bounce on the bumper trick would work unless you weigh in over 300lbs.

Jim
    what is your tire pressure? Is the limited slip engaging when the wheel hop is occuring?
    jim,i think the shocks are ok only 3500k on truk. when i take it in they can check them with me watching,gettin tired of doing their job for them u no! tks lh
    I B RUNNEN 35PSI ALL ROUND COLD THATS WHAT WAS ON DOOR,& CHECKED WIT TIRE PEOPLE THEY SAID SAME PSI. I THINK THE LTD SLIP IS ENGAGED LEAVES 2 BLK MARKS WHEN IT SPINS,WAT U THINK OBY? PS P265/75R/16 DAM FIRESTONE WILDERNESS AT'S FOR RUBBER. TKS LH
    OBY,DO U THINK IT MIGHT HAVE SUMTHIN 2 DO WIT THE AUTO TRAC 4X4 TRANS CASE SYSTEM? LH LIKE CLUTCH DISCS IN THERE? NOT IN 4WD WHEN HOPPING
    how much throttle is required to break the tires loose? Is this under hard acceleration? or is it like having a hard time moving the truck forward without spinning the wheels?

BTW, I checked for any TSB's on this one and unfortunately, there are none.
This discussion has been closed.