Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• best advice i can give is ask the dealer what they use.i have used either chevron, or kendall synthetic blend.
  • dwrestledwrestle Posts: 72
    I drove it, I really liked it, it took off like a rocket to about 40 mph, but it was pretty weak everywhere else, but not to bad. I was wanting to trade my much nicer 87 Jeep Cherokee(the truck is rough and very rusty above the wheels and behind the cab bad) for it because I like those body styles so much, but they told me they could sell the truck fast and the jeep would sit on the lot for a while. He's probably right.

The 305 would be sweet with vortec heads, a little higher compression ratio, some headers exhaust, throttle body spacers, k&n stuff and all the government crap ripped out(cats, and smog stuff). It's no better than the 4.3 in stock form, but it's no worse either and it's a V8.
  • dch0300dch0300 Posts: 472
    Try this...
    www.manheimgold.com
    -David
  • chrisducatichrisducati Posts: 394
    we have a 2004 short bed with the V6/5speed. Every 3000 miles the change oil lite comes on. How do I reset the lite. It says to do some combo of pressing the information button in the owners manual. Where is the info button? Yes I am clueless!
  • boomer1bboomer1b Posts: 348
    See pg. 5-24 in your owners manual

1. Turn ignition key to the run position with engine off.

2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal 3 times within 5 seconds. The oil life message will flash while resetting.

3. Turn key back to the off position.

You should be all set. If not try it again !
  • z71man1z71man1 Posts: 1
    Hi, Im new to these Forums. I see that there are alot of exsperienced Chevy people in here. Has anyone here used Royal Purple Auto Trans fluid in thier 99 or newer chevy silverado 4x4? How did you get all the old fluid out? And How do you get it all out of the Torque converter? Does your chevy like the Royal Purple? Thanks for the help.
  • ronb6ronb6 Posts: 3
    Hi all. I recently got a 2000 chevy silverado ext cab short bed with V6. This board looks alot more friendly than some of these other boards, so I thought i would say something. I response to some questions about the in cabin air filter, I thought I would have to order them too, but I found them on the shelf at Advanced auto for about 25.00 for both of them (comes in a pak of two). Also a question, my front end creaks when going over bumps. Could be springs? Also could this be in a TSB? Thanx, Ron.b
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    There is a tsb out for awhile on the squeaking over bumps cause by the spring insulator.

Suspension - Front Coil Spring Noise

Bulletin No.: 99-03-08-002B

Date: May 06, 2004

TECHNICAL
    Subject:
    Front Suspension Coil Spring Noise (Install New Coil Spring Insulator)

Models:
    1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2WD 1500 Series
    1999-2004 GMC Sierra 2WD 1500 Series Models

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-03-08-002A (Section 03 - Suspension).

Condition

Some owners may comment on front suspension noise. The noise may be described as a "bong" or "clunk" noise. The noise may be more noticeable when driving slowly over bumps or backing the vehicle out of a driveway.

Cause

The front coil spring contacting the frame may cause this condition.

Correction

A new front coil spring insulator has been developed to correct this condition. Install a new insulator (1) to the top of both front coil springs. Refer to the Front Suspension subsection of the appropriate Silverado and Sierra Service Manual for coil spring removal/installation procedures.

This new insulator replaces any existing coil spring insulators. Remove and discard the existing insulator before installing the new insulator.
  • The insulators on our 2004 Silverado were replaced. We still have the noise. Now they
    are replacing the steering gear box. Hopefully
    that repair will take care of the front-end noise.
    Orville
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    I guess! Winter just won't go away. My Dad and Sister are still up there. Although my Sister says she can't figure out why she's still there! Maple Festival coming up in just a few weeks. (1st weekend in April I think).
    HEY ALL........Anybody out there having problems with their heated mirrors on NBS full size GMs either cracking or not heating?

My left side one cracked, but still heats. The right side has no heat. The rear defrost works fine.

I have recently seen posts and pics at some of the snowplowing sites of mirror failures due to extended usage ...............
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    My heated mirrors dont work well at all. Had once replaced under warrenty, the other quit not long after. I just gave up on them and left them. And mine were not from extended usage.
    You still have the 01?

My 01 didn't have the rear defrost or heated mirrors. This 04 with them is the cats axx up here in blizzard land when snowplowing !

I see quite a few posts of many failures on other sites. I wonder if there is a TSB out there about them?

GM Parts direct sells the replacement heated glass for under $30 each plus shipping.

Funny, I think its the shape of the glass thats the problem. The heated mirrors on my 96 and 03 Caddies were pretty square shaped and never had a problem.

Its under warranty anyhoo and I dump them every 30 months or so.
    Snowplowing is tough on ANY truck!
  • noobie1noobie1 Posts: 326
    I just had to replaced both on my '02'. Performance gradually deteriorated until they quit working altogether. About a hundred bucks worth at the dealer. What I can't figure is, what could possibly go wrong with such a simple devise?

-David
    What I see the most complaints about is the mirrors cracking.

My left mirror is cracked but heats.
    My right mirror has no heat but is NOT cracked.

Hmmmm....Prob. another quality 3rd world made part.
  • noobie1noobie1 Posts: 326
    Just a guess but, cracking mirrors may be characteristic of colder environs. Too much heat to that thin piece of glass at too cold a temp. Your right/left evidence seems to bear it out.

A word of advise to anyone removing a mirror for fault analysis: use a flat bladed tool with a THIN shaft. LOL, it won't take much stress.

-David
    Strange..........My 96 and 03 Caddies had/have heated mirrors and never a problem here in snowland.

Its either the shape of the mirror or a cheap part.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    For those with cracked mirrors, you might watch them if they are of the auto-dimming variety. The chemical inside the mirrors is corrosive to paint, and if it gets blown down the side of your truck....it's not pretty. Not sure what it takes to displace the fluid, but if the mirror shatters, the fluid goes with it.
  • hey i just got a 2004 silverado and i was just going to say that i love it i sold my 2004 dodge dakota and got this i have a question about this is there a way to change the factory head unit without having to get that 40 dollor wireing harrenst just wondering anyway and im going to drop this truck with a 4/6 drop kit and does anyone know if 22'swill fit or anyone got pic's of theres if so e mail me at mxracer072004@yahoo.com ty scott
  • hi everyone. i just bought my 2002 silverado V6 with 43000 miles on it but what i thought was wierd and i cant figure it out is that when i'm on the highway going up hill so i hit 4000RPM the check engine light will flash about 6 times then go away. why the hell will it do that?
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    My pass side mirror cracked. I am thinking the basketball pole I hit with it did the damage :)
    Do you have the heated mirrors?

Lots of posts on them cracking at a few of the GM truck sites.

If you outta warranty GM parts direct sells the heated mirror replacement glass for under $30 plus shipping..............
  • Please send me more info, I have the same problem and GM offered me a free 6 year extened service deal.
  • eds4eds4 Posts: 1
    Help!

I am about to purchase a 97 silverado, 3rd door, extra cab, 5.7 vortec, 4 x 4. its got 87k on her.
    Just wondering if I should have any concerns about anything at this point in the trucks life?
    Any advice would be great. Truck seems to be all there mechanically.
    EDS.......Ask about the intake manifold gasket replacement. Very troublesome during those years with the 350.
    I broke mine. I hit the mirror on a basketball pole. No they arent heated. I bought a new glass which I replaced. I also bought a new mirror but I havent put it on (still in the box after 3 yrs haha)
    You should also check out Pep Boys. They are selling a knockoff GM truck power replacement mirror for $50 for the whole unit !!!!!!!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
    WOMEN AND TRUCKS. One of our journalists is writing an article about women and trucks: why they love their trucks, the decisions that they have to make when purchasing a truck versus a car, and whether or not they’ve encountered discrimination or bias when buying or driving a truck. If you’d like to share your story, please respond to jhelperin@edmunds by Sunday, March 26th. Thanks!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Post this in the Titan thread........

Jolie aka Akangel could fill them in........
    Shes a truck gal !
    I already have one. Been sitting in a box for 3 yrs
This discussion has been closed.