Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• damurphdamurph Posts: 10
    I'm looking to hear from people about their dealer, dealing and deal experiences. Who have you dealt with, was it good or bad? How's their service? Would you deal with them again?

I'm looking at the '05 Sierra and Silverado. I want a 4X2 extended cab with the 6' bed, Cruise and Power Windows.

I look forward to hearing from anybody in the K.C. and Western Missouri area.
  • bigsarge88bigsarge88 Posts: 1
    I just put some 24" rims on my 01 Tahoe. Is there anything I have to change or worry about in the next few months. Thanks
  • pinnpinn Posts: 7
    do you guys think the powerchips or programmers work or just a waste of moeny and time it's not like they're cheap up hear in canada you know they run about $600or about $300 in your dollar so I should get some input what's your thoughts obyone you seem to be a straight shooter?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    factory brakes. Those rims will cause a little longer stopping distance on the already dismal stock numbers making for an emergency braking a somewhat hair raising experience. Have you noticed the difference after installing the 24s?
    IMO the Hypertech unit isn't worth the money. The Predator programmer may be worth it if you're adept in tuning. Because of the options it offers in programming you could literally screw your truck up if you're not familiar with what you're doing. They do offer preset custom tunes which you can also modify.
  • texsuntexsun Posts: 23
    I have the 6L with 3.73. Best I've ever got was 16.3 hi-way running from OK to TX with a tailwind and that was three weeks after I installed the Tornado. And I run with the traffic, which is about 75-90 mph - :shades: . I've noticed a slight drop in mileage after installing the Liberator 285/75/16s, but haven't adjusted my speedometer/odometer yet either. I'm about 5 mph off. I also need to clean the K&N FIPK filter, it's been about 50,000 miles since I installed it. Of all the additions - K&N FIPK, Flowmasters, Tonado, K&N definitely improved performance and Flowmaster improved sound/looks, the Tornado was the only one that I noticed that improved the mileage.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    I had an Airaid on my '99 4.8 and if anything I lost about 1 mpg. 'course that could have been 'cause I had to keep hitting WOT to hear it suck air! ;) I wouldn't spend the money for a new one. I did just pick up a used one for my Av that included the intake tube....which is what I was after.
  • bunnjoeybunnjoey Posts: 2
    DOES ANYBODY MAKE A CONSOLE THAT REPLACES THE "20" SECTION OF A 40/20/40 BENCH SEAT IN A 2005 SILVERADO CREW CAB?
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,895
    hey gang, anybody here know about how much a cubic yard of #57 driveway gravel would weigh? Is it something I could chance with an '85 Silverado 1/2 ton with an 8-foot bed? I'd only have to haul this load about a half-mile, as the materials company is just up the street from me.
    You sound like a perfect candidate for a TORNADO. Not sure if it will fit after the MAF with the airaid intake tube tho.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    I usually get about 22 mpg in my impala. Changed the air filter about a month ago and since then I havent got anything lower than 28 mpg (70% highway). Replaced it with a stock AC Delco filter.

Wish my truck would have an increase like that
  • pinnpinn Posts: 7
    anyone have an idea as to the gears that would have come in the 2001 extended cab 4x4 with the 4.8l auto and is it a good idea to change the gears to try and get some more oomf!! out of the truck without comprimising the mpg i want to make some change but don't want to waste my moeny either to hard to come by you know. However i like my truck it's got a good mix of looks and use and finally where can i go online to get specs on the powertrain for future reference?
  • osubeavosubeav Posts: 56
    A quick Google search shows that gravel weighs about 1.4 tons per cubic yard, so I don't think your truck would do it in one trip.

Occasionally, around here, you see people that try it. Normally, their rear bumpers are almost on the ground. I would think it would severly screw up your truck. :sick:
    It was cheap, and even if there's no improvement it gets rid of the big bulky stock tube. A smooth straight tube is about the only part of a CAI that does help, short of actually getting cooler air in. Unlike the Tornado. ;) It's not like I have great expectations for it.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,895
    the guy at the gravel place pretty much said the same thing. They didn't know how much it actually weighed, but they said that they wouldn't recommend doing with anything less than a 3/4 ton truck!
    What about resonance? any problems with that? I kind of experimented. The airaid had more resonance than the K&N FIPK. If you looked at both, the airaid has more restriction (bad design) compared to the K&N. And it used to howl at WOT. Not as much with the K&N. So I put the K&N in the Denali and the airaid in the rado. Couple of months ago I removed both and they now sit in the garage on the shelf waiting for me to get motivated enough to put them onsale at ebay.

BTW, both throttle bodies were trashed and black with gunk as I had checked and cleaned them when I removed them. Hadn't noticed any hp or mpg improvement with these expensive bolt ons.
    Changing the cab air filter increased your mpg? Good luck on this one now....
  • osubeavosubeav Posts: 56
    I don't think I would do it in a 3/4 ton, either. Do you have access to a heavy duty trailer? That's well within the towing capability of the Silverado.
  • delrickdelrick Posts: 105
    05 Sierra Crewcab, 5.3L, 3.73, 17.0mpg, 7000mi, all stop and go :shades:
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Be sure to post numbers like this in the MPG: Chevy Silverado Real World Numbers discussion.

kcram - Pickups Host
    I haven't put it on yet, and this will be the first time I've changed the tube. The Airaid I had on my '99 did indeed howl at WOT...which I liked. Sounded like a 4bbl in days of old. I agree they're all a waste of money if you're really looking for hp or mg gains. Kinda like the Flowmaster thing...sounds good, and that's all I'm after. Intakes looks cool and even if they don't improve they don't hurt. As long as you don't over-oil your filter. :) BTW, my last one has been sitting in the garage for 4-5 yrs. now. Took it off after about a yr to see if my mpg would improve. Don't remember but don't think it did. The new K&N 77 series looks nice and folks who have them say (as well as K&N claims) they do make a slightly better hp improvement. As I'm sure you know, there's a lot of debate about how much crap comes through a K&N filter.
  • I was reading Consumer Reports tire ratings, they had good things to say about the Dayton Timberline H/T. The tread looks like it would do well on pavement, which is the only place I drive my 04 Silverado 1500 2wd. The OEM Goodyear Wrangler ST's are total trash. How often do you see a tire these days with a traction rating of B That's how trashy these OEMs are. The only problem, as I'm sure many owners are aware, is that 235 75 16 is a very difficult tire to find. Fortunately, the Timberlines are available in this size. Also, though Consumer Reports rated the Hankook as being a decent tire, there is no way I am putting a Korean tire on my truck. I guess I'm still a little simple like that.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    Your post a while back said "As to the Liberator, my Dad thought they were made by Michelin also, but they are made by BF Goodrich out of Ft Wayne, IN. There is a recall on a batch made in a two week period, to include BF Goodrich, Liberator and Uniroyal brands."

BF Goodrich sold the automotive tire business back in 1988, to a company by the name of MNA, INC.

NMA, INC also owns the Uniroyal brand.

That is why the recall of the Liberator also included the BF Goodrich and Uniroyal brands.

BTW - MNA stands for Michelin North America - Michelin owns MNA, INC - which owns the BF Goodrich and Uniroyal brands.

So your dad is right - Michelin does make the Liberator -
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    My '03 came with those Wrangler ST's in a 245/75 and I agree, they're horrible tires. Mine were replaced at 7k miles with Dean Wildcat Radial A/T's. I ended up going with 265/75's to get a bigger tire and even with being an A/T tire, they're far superior to the ST's in every way. Braking, handling, ride, noise, and most importantly TRACTION!! I'm not normally one to buy the cheaper tires, but I've had good luck with Cooper truck tires (cooper/dean are the same).

I have a friend with a tire shop that put me into these deans super cheap so I went for it. He said even at normal price, they're only about $425 installed/tax/everything. That's a steal for a 16" truck tire IMHO, particularly one that's this good. I've got about 8k miles on them so far and love them. They've burned about 1-2 32nds though, so I don't think they're going to be a real long-life tire. But I am hard on them and drive a lot of twisty roads so I go through tires quicker on most all my vehicles.
    Okay, if you, and my Dad, want to say Michelin makes the Liberator and it makes ya'll feel better, I can live with it. But the DOT code on the sidewall starts with BF, which tells me BF Goodrich makes the tire, regardless of who owns the company. But thanks for the insight....
  • btenvy1btenvy1 Posts: 4
    I had a set of these on my old 2000 Chevy Silverado. Please, if you have these tires check them out. The left rear lost tread and tire pressure about 6 months ago and cause the truck to roll 40 mph. Total loss on the truck, caused wife and kid injuries. Look especially for cracking inside the tread. Goodyear has claimed they are not responsible for the tire. The report stated something was hit with the tire and caused the separation. Believe me, this is not the case. The tires were 305/75/R16.

Thanks,
    btenvy
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Thought I would post a picture I took yesterday. Last weekend I put the Mud Terrains back on.

• whatsachevywhatsachevy Posts: 136
    I purchased an '01 2500HD from Henry Marten's in Leavenworth, KS new in 2001. I have had all service performed at this dealer as well. I would recommend them to anyone.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    I know it can bet a little confusing - but BGF is just a BRAND - Same thing with the Liberator (and Uniroyal too) - just brands not companies.

Kind of like the Silverado - which is NOT manufactured by Chevrolet - it is made by General Motors - GM is the company - Chevy is the brand.

When the Walmart tire shop manager told me the Liberator was produced by Michelin I though he was giving me a line of BS - at that time Michelin did not even sell a 285 75 16 tire under the Michelin brand (BTW they do now). So I gave Michelin customer service a call on their 800 number. They confirmed that Michelin produces the Liberator for sale exclusively at Walmart.
    I can buy that. :) Bottom line is they ride well, are quiet on the highway and a good value for the price.They were highly recommended by my brother and Dad, both of whom cover TX, OK, LA, MO, and AR in their business and they ride well in all types of weather. My brother had a sidewall puncture on his right front at 40,000 mi and thought he would end up purchasing a new tire, but Walmart replaced it for the $3.00 tire disposal fee.

I installed Rancho RS 5000s all the way around last weekend and am happy with the new feel. Still rides like a HD truck but the ride is a bit softer. I got them on-line thru Auto-Zone for under $200.
This discussion has been closed.